gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 09, 2024, 10:57:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445498 times)
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: June 11, 2013, 01:17:51 PM »

What's the name of the supposedly mind-blowing Dennis Wilson song that was found recently?

'My Love Lives On'?

Don't see that it can be anything else. To my count we have 3 previously unreleased Dennis songs on the set, Mona Kana, WIBNTLA and My Love Lives On. We all know Mona Kana has been booted and that WIBNTLA has never been booted but I know nothing about My Love Lives On.

And Barnyard Blues...

On the whole, the box looks pretty darned tasty for those of us who stand by the indisputable fact that Dennis was a better songwriter, singer, arranger and producer than Brian. Particularly looking forward to the Be With Me demo, and live Little Bird
Paulos
« Reply #301 on: June 11, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »

What's the name of the supposedly mind-blowing Dennis Wilson song that was found recently?

'My Love Lives On'?

Don't see that it can be anything else. To my count we have 3 previously unreleased Dennis songs on the set, Mona Kana, WIBNTLA and My Love Lives On. We all know Mona Kana has been booted and that WIBNTLA has never been booted but I know nothing about My Love Lives On.

I googled it and nothing, nada, except today's news.

It's listed on AGD's Bellagio site, lists Dennis as the writer but no other info.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 11, 2013, 01:18:59 PM »

'My Love Lives On'?

Well cool then. I guess we can reasonably assume this is the Dennis track Adam was hinting at.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 11, 2013, 01:19:14 PM »

'My Love Lives On'?

My Love lives On is a 1977, Bambu-era track.  Smiley
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #304 on: June 11, 2013, 01:20:09 PM »

Stevie – a BW solo track, so doesn’t really belong.

Guess they should scrap "Surf's Up '67" then too.

My Solution – If you’re complaining about not getting this, you don’t have a lot of credibility.

No, actually it enhances my credibility to the level of supreme uber-fan. Now get down on your knees and KNEEL BEFORE ZOD.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 11, 2013, 01:20:41 PM »

Regarding the price, I think there is a good chance Amazon will lower the price on this at some point. How much, who knows? But I think it's likely it will ultimately dip somewhat below $130.

Id say it will be around £60 on Amazon UK. Its 6 cds and a book. It doesn't seem to be all that fancy in comparison to say something like the Smile Sessions box.

Not necessarily! What is disappointing is that this is probably the last archival release in quite some time and hardly a fraction of the hoped for content actually appeared. I simply fear we will never hear these other great songs they are omitting. Apologies on my part are due since I obviously failed to point that out.

Wow – such gnashing and wailing over the contents of a boxed set.  Surely Phil Cohen’s done some sort of Vulcan mind meld with some of the people who post here.

But what is missing that people cannot live without?

Carry Me Home – For me, that’s probably the bigget omission, because the sound quality on the booted version makes it barely listenable.

California Slide – Unfinished at best, and probably not worthy of being finished.

Out in the Country – A fragment.

Adult Child tracks – They’re out there, and the sq is pretty good.

Big Sur early version – Hardly crucial in my book, and it’s been booted in OK quality.

CIFOTM mono mix – Would be nice to have, but can be assembled.

My Solution – If you’re complaining about not getting this, you don’t have a lot of credibility.

The alternate early 70's versions of Back Home should have been included.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Paulos
« Reply #306 on: June 11, 2013, 01:22:15 PM »

'My Love Lives On'?

And Barnyard Blues...

On the whole, the box looks pretty darned tasty for those of us who stand by the indisputable fact that Dennis was a better songwriter, singer, arranger and producer than Brian. Particularly looking forward to the Be With Me demo, and live Little Bird

For some reason I assumed this was A Brian track, but again deferring to AGD's awesome Bellagio site - Barnyard Blues - (D. Wilson) - 3/15/71.
Paulos
« Reply #307 on: June 11, 2013, 01:22:59 PM »

'My Love Lives On'?

Thanks Dave, that is some very interesting information!
Paulos
« Reply #308 on: June 11, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »

Regarding the price, I think there is a good chance Amazon will lower the price on this at some point. How much, who knows? But I think it's likely it will ultimately dip somewhat below $130.

Id say it will be around £60 on Amazon UK. Its 6 cds and a book. It doesn't seem to be all that fancy in comparison to say something like the Smile Sessions box.

Not necessarily! What is disappointing is that this is probably the last archival release in quite some time and hardly a fraction of the hoped for content actually appeared. I simply fear we will never hear these other great songs they are omitting. Apologies on my part are due since I obviously failed to point that out.

Wow – such gnashing and wailing over the contents of a boxed set.  Surely Phil Cohen’s done some sort of Vulcan mind meld with some of the people who post here.

But what is missing that people cannot live without?

Carry Me Home – For me, that’s probably the bigget omission, because the sound quality on the booted version makes it barely listenable.

California Slide – Unfinished at best, and probably not worthy of being finished.

Out in the Country – A fragment.

Adult Child tracks – They’re out there, and the sq is pretty good.

Big Sur early version – Hardly crucial in my book, and it’s been booted in OK quality.

CIFOTM mono mix – Would be nice to have, but can be assembled.

The alternate early 70's versions of Back Home should have been included.

CD 6
21. Back Home (1970 Version)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 11, 2013, 01:26:05 PM »

'My Love Lives On'?

So is it this newly discovered Dennis track? Do you  have any more info?  
Somebody had PMd me the year of the track a month ago but had no more info.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
EthanJames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 11, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 11, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »

CD 6
21. Back Home (1970 Version)

Great! Did not see that. Cheesy

Who's doing the lead vocal? Sounds like a combination of Brian and Al.

"It's just a harder approach".  Cool
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:33:06 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 11, 2013, 01:39:34 PM »

OK, after treading through the 10 pages of comments, I side with the posters who say we should be grateful.  EVERYONE is going to have different tracks they thought should have been on here, and the producers and the Beach Boys themselves had a tough job trying to please the masses and also get their favorites in there too.  Yeah, some track selections are ?-worthy (Da Doo Run Run?), but I believe everything on here was chosen for a reason.  I'm sure that MANY other songs were considered, but there was only so much space.  Kind of like when you go on vacation and can only fit so much into your suitcase.  Same principle here.

That said, I'm kinda bummed that Keepin The Summer Alive and Lady Lynda and Still Cruisin were left off...those are very underappreciated tracks.  But fans like us have these tracks in triplicate at least, by now.  But count me as VERY pleased and surprised that It's A Beautiful Day made the cut.  I thought that the licensing issues for that song would have prevented it from even being considered.

And finally!  It's About Time gets the appreciation it deserves!  I think this is the first compilation I've ever seen it on (other than a promo comp released in 1970).

I'm very excited about this boxed set, and this announcement made my day!  I will gladly plunk down the $130 for probably the best release we'll see from the Beach Boys for quite a while.

This bewilders me - who CARES that It's About Time is on the box set? You already have this track on Sunflower. I love KTSA, but who the flip cares if it's on the box set? You already have this track on the album of the same name. I just don't understand this mentality. There are lots of Beach Boy album tracks that didn't make the cut. But I don't care because I already have those tracks on the albums from which they come. What am I missing here? Again, who cares what album cuts make it and which don't? We already have them.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 11, 2013, 01:42:02 PM »

'My Love Lives On'?

Assuming it's the same recording, I wouldn't call it newly discovered, in that the tape has always known to exist, and we have documentation for it in terms of its session date (i.e. Oct. 1977). Again, that's assuming it's the same version. Smiley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 11, 2013, 01:43:20 PM »

@ TimmyC

That is true for all of us, but not necessarily for everyone who is going to buy the box. After the hits, comes the best of the deep-cuts. Hopefully, what is picked will draw the casual fan in further and then... he will become one of us. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: June 11, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »

'My Love Lives On'?

And Barnyard Blues...

Is this a joke? "INDISPUTABLE??" What?? I seriously doubt Dennis thought he came close to Brian. I love all the Beach Boys, including Dennis. But c'mon man. That is certifiably insane if you're serious. No offense.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 11, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »

Also, we can moan about the choices all we like, but why should our subjective opinions about the merits or demerits of a track be used as the basis for anything at all? I personally would rather have had It's A New Day over My Solution any day (the latter of which, as I posted upthread, I am not, er, exactly a fan of)... but this isn't my box set, and of course, neither of those tracks are now going to make it out on this.

'Scuse me for stating the bleeding obvious, but: it's a release by the Beach Boys. The surviving members and the estate representatives of the deceased members will have had to thrash out no doubt finely balanced decisions about what made it out on the set, balanced with space restrictions and all of the other considerations too. The Beach Boys decided what went on this, not us. Is it any wonder that we don't like all of the decisions that have been taken regarding the track listing?

I mean, they don't exactly have a brilliant track record in that department, right? Wink

And yeah, I know the excellent team of Boyd and Linett will have done their very best to influence the listing, and the decisions that honed the final line-up. But at the end of the day, the Beach Boys had to be happy with it. To me, that fact, more than any other, explains why we were never going to get, say, 'My Diane', 'Marilyn Rovell' or 'Stevie' on this set, given what those compositions meant to the creative minds behind them at the time they were recorded, and how those principal players might view those songs from the perspective of today...

Whatever we think of songs like that today, and whether we like them or not — those kinds of concerns will undoubtedly have had an influence on the omission of those songs from the line-up...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:47:59 PM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 11, 2013, 01:47:11 PM »

We all have a right to our beefs- we are not your run of the mill BB's fans- we are scholars, nerds, and dorks. Cooler than Trekkies though....

Here goes--

WTF??? stereo Barbara Ann?? Is that really necessary?? Maybe in Guantanamo Bay, but not in my house...

No Whisperin' Winds takes?? Argueably one of the most beautiful things ever composed by the maestro himself?? Criminal it's not here.

Ditto on Thank Him and The Beginning of the End

I'm Begging You Please would've been nice as well.

Till' I Die sessions would've given me instant arousal...

....I will go on, but my coffee is getting cold.

OH, MY OWN GUILTY PLEASURE- I ADMIT!- River Deep and Mountain High... but I understand that not being on there.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 11, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »

'My Love Lives On'?

And Barnyard Blues...

Is this a joke? "INDISPUTABLE??" What?? I seriously doubt Dennis thought he came close to Brian. I love all the Beach Boys, including Dennis. But c'mon man. That is certifiably insane if you're serious. No offense.
You must have missed out on that discussion from last week.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: June 11, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »

I'm really, really excited.  Grin This set contains tracks I've been wanting for what feels like forever (the '94-'96 recordings, WIBNTLA, California Feelin', well, all of those and more).

Obviously this doesn't - and can't - have all the tracks I'd have liked, but maybe these aren't here because of technical limitations, or because the tracks are lost, or because they're keeping material for future archival releases.

I'm laughing at people who complain about some previously released tracks not being on this set. "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" ? Buy "Made in USA". "Still I Dream of It" ? Buy the GV30 boxset and "IJWMFTT". Etc.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 11, 2013, 01:55:04 PM »

future archival releases.

One can hope...

If this was The beatles it would have promoted and compiled much differently.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 11, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »

The customer is ALWAYS right. If people are unhappy, they should voice their dissatisfaction.

But you're *not* the customer, since you're not planning on buying the box.

Having worked extensively in customer service I can say that the customer is not always right, the customer is nearly always a complete asshole.

That's what LD said  Razz

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: June 11, 2013, 01:56:32 PM »

future archival releases.

One can hope...

If this was The beatles it would have promoted and compiled much differently.

But this isn't the Beatles. This is the Beach Boys. They do things their own way... "Differently".  Wink

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 11, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »

[/quote]

And not just the official ones, don't even start on bootlegs.

[/quote]

what!!! you have bootlegs???  Shocked

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 11, 2013, 01:58:22 PM »

'My Love Lives On'?

Assuming it's the same recording, I wouldn't call it newly discovered, in that the tape has always known to exist, and we have documentation for it in terms of its session date (i.e. Oct. 1977). Again, that's assuming it's the same version. Smiley
Thanks Dave! I guess forgotten might have been a better description of the song?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx