gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681220 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 29, 2024, 02:13:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 444432 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: June 11, 2013, 12:43:07 PM »

Regarding the price, I think there is a good chance Amazon will lower the price on this at some point. How much, who knows? But I think it's likely it will ultimately dip somewhat below $130.

Id say it will be around £60 on Amazon UK. Its 6 cds and a book. It doesn't seem to be all that fancy in comparison to say something like the Smile Sessions box.

Not necessarily! What is disappointing is that this is probably the last archival release in quite some time and hardly a fraction of the hoped for content actually appeared. I simply fear we will never hear these other great songs they are omitting. Apologies on my part are due since I obviously failed to point that out.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 11, 2013, 12:43:55 PM »

Interesting, so it's basically just an update of the '93 box.  I'm cool with that but was maybe expecting a little bit more, it still looks worth it though.  Would have liked to see more live tracks, I thought I had heard rumors that the songs left off this year's live album would surface on the box set.
Yeah, but there have been a few already who don't like having the live stuff that is on there. Look, it's not going to please 100% of us, but on the whole I am very pleased, and that we are getting exactly what we were told we were going to get.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 11, 2013, 12:44:17 PM »

It's almost as though some people build this notion into their heads, despite plain evidence to the contrary, of how things are going to be realized in order so that when things fall short of their spurious expectations they can justify their favoring of going the torrent route. They go to great lengths to build this elaborate fallacy to make themselves feel better about piracy.

Just say you prefer to download the stuff for free.  LOL
I do believe that you are correct on this one. Just like with Cabinessenceking, would the money he don't have suddenly appear had this been a rarities set?

Well to be fair it's really just a turn of a phrase that's all.  We've all said at some point in our lives that "I don't have money for that" when what we are really saying is "I don't have money for that at that price".  It all comes down to what value you put on something as anyone who has ever collected any type of memorabilia will tell you.   So to condemn Cabin for claiming he doesn't have money for MIC when he actually may strikes me as somewhat myopic.  

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 11, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »

It's almost as though some people build this notion into their heads, despite plain evidence to the contrary, of how things are going to be realized in order so that when things fall short of their spurious expectations they can justify their favoring of going the torrent route. They go to great lengths to build this elaborate fallacy to make themselves feel better about piracy.

I do believe that you are correct on this one. Just like with Cabinessenceking, would the money he don't have suddenly appear had this been a rarities set?

we had no evidence to the contrary. In fact quite recently someone on this board said there was a load of unreleased stuff. Trancendental Meditation (instrumental) was no what I imagined that person would share on the board as 'unreleased' (although I acknowledge it is per definition unreleased...)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:58:10 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 11, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »

Wait a second drbeachboy, You're saying that I Get Around, Rhonda and Good Vibrations aren't Extractions? How come it says they are in the booklets of the new Mono/Stereo Remasters then? That new Stereo Mix of Our Prayer has to be an extraction as well too, because it was recorded around only one microphone. We shall find out at the end of August it will be a mystery until then!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 11, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »

Regarding the price, I think there is a good chance Amazon will lower the price on this at some point. How much, who knows? But I think it's likely it will ultimately dip somewhat below $130.

Id say it will be around £60 on Amazon UK. Its 6 cds and a book. It doesn't seem to be all that fancy in comparison to say something like the Smile Sessions box.

Not necessarily! What is disappointing is that this is probably the last archival release in quite some time and hardly a fraction of the hoped for content actually appeared. I simply fear we will never hear these other great songs they are omitting. Apologies on my part are due since I obviously failed to point that out.
Why? The fact that they are still in the vault gives hope that there is enough material left over for a future archival release, a la Hawthorne.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 11, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »

All I have to say is a huge HURRAH! Wouldn't it be Nice to Live again, the demo of California Feeling, Sherry She Needs Me in presumably decent quality, two other totally unheard Dennis tracks, live versions of Friends and Little Bird...fantastic. I can't flippin' wait.

When the quibbles can be reduced to 'would have been nice to hear something I already know, but in better quality', then it's a sign they've done a pretty good job, no?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 11, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »

Wait a second drbeachboy, You're saying that I Get Around, Rhonda and Good Vibrations aren't Extractions? How come it says they are in the booklets of the new Mono/Stereo Remasters then? That new Stereo Mix of Our Prayer has to be an extraction as well too, because it was recorded around only one microphone. We shall find out at the end of August it will be a mystery until then!
On this set they are using the mono mixes, not the extractions. So, Do It Again would not be an extraction. It says on the track list "2012 Stereo Mix", not extraction.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 11, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »

I'm psyched for the '64 BBC tracks, if that live video of WIGU is what we can expect... Love that version.

One thing I noted and regret is they're going with the 2009 "Fallin' in Love" instead of the 45 mix of Lady, but its awesome that we're getting Sound of Free. It's also cool that we're getting 2 California Feelin's.

We will always want more. Hopefully we end up getting it. I hope that they eventually cover all of the bases for this music. I'd love a Sunflower Sessions with sessions, backing  tracks, a cappella, etc.  I'm ALL for a cappella.

Watch out for snakes!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 11, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »

What's the name of the supposedly mind-blowing Dennis Wilson song that was found recently?

'My Love Lives On'?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 11, 2013, 12:51:45 PM »

This really deserves more of our attention than other's piracy habits:

NOW BACK TO THE MUSIC: Does anyone know any specifics about that bandied about Dennis Wilson rarity that was mentioned last week as being superior to WIBNTLA?  Is it on this box set?

A few weeks back, adamghost inferred that a wonderful track from Dennis was unearthed. Which (if any) of these is on the track list?
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 11, 2013, 12:55:04 PM »

Keeping the occasional "personal fave" omissions in mind, overall, I'm very, very pleased with this track lineup. As someone else noted, I truly think that this one tops the '93 box in terms of content (the official debut of the Smile material on the '93 box aside), which is no easy task considering how much the vaults have been mined already. That speaks volumes for both the compilers and the fact that the band was a recording machine in its time! Am I really going to finally get to hear WIBNTLA in less than 3 months, after waiting for it and dreaming about it for over a decade? Please pinch me now! Body...please don't betray me before then!

Random thoughts: Great to have the 2011, vinyl-only stereo Smile tracks in official digital form; "We're Together Again" in an official stereo mix -- cool!; An official CD release of "Sound Of Free".....finally!!!!; "Soul Searchin" and "You're Still A Mystery"...finally can throw out my crappy sounding  "unofficial" versions!; Vintage live versions of "Little Bird" and "It's About Time" in good quality? Pinch me again!; "Vegetables" and "Wonderful" from the "Unplugged" Tour (Paramount?) in an official capacity -- a nice representation; The Carnegie version of "Only With You"...the best!; An official release of "Country Air" in stereo -- very nice;"Where Is She"..."Barnyard Blues"..."California Feelin".....double pinch me!

In terms of major omissions, I am a bit disappointed that "Carry Me Home" didn't make the cut, but I sorta get it (no comment). More importantly, I would call leaving off "We Got Love" both a major omission and a serious mistake. It's pretty much now the only officially-released, major BB studio track I can think of (however sparse that release was), offhand, that has never seen digital light. I'm holding out hope that the powers-that-be can find *some* place for it at the last minute (e.g. a hidden track, a CD single?). We really need that one in good quality. Also...strange that they left off the end suite from TWGMTR. Artistically....very strange. Something political? A sore subject? I had always envisioned "Summer's Gone" closing off the set, chronologically (and maybe leading into to a hidden track of that Rolling Stone version of "Surfer Girl").

All-in-all: Very pleased. Thank you, Capitol!

Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 11, 2013, 12:57:33 PM »

I am excited about You're Still a Mystery (I have two versions of that song, hopefully the SQ is improved in MIC).

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 11, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »

More importantly, I would call leaving off "We Got Love" both a major omission and a serious mistake. It's pretty much now the only officially-released, major BB studio track I can think of (however sparse that release was), offhand, that has never seen digital light.

I might misunderstand what you mean here, but you can find the studio version of We Got Love on CD. I have a copy.

Or do you mean it has not been "restored" digitally?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 01:04:39 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 11, 2013, 01:04:23 PM »

we had no evidence to the contrary.

Absolutely false.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: June 11, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »

Glad this has  finally  been officially announced! I can't wait for disc six....there's a treat on there that everyone has missed in the excitement over CF74 and WIBNTLA...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 11, 2013, 01:05:53 PM »

More importantly, I would call leaving off "We Got Love" both a major omission and a serious mistake. It's pretty much now the only officially-released, major BB studio track I can think of (however sparse that release was), offhand, that has never seen digital light.

I might understand what you mean here, but you can find the studio version of We Got Love on CD. I have a copy.

Or do you mean it has not been "restored" digitally?

Right. I have "that" version (actually several versions) too. I mean an officially released digital version. Smiley
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 11, 2013, 01:06:21 PM »

Must... Stay... Focussed... on... Exams...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 11, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »

What is maddening as well is that many of these same people who are complaining actually have all the rarities they already wanted to see on this box set in their collections!  I'm sure there are many fans (ahem!) who would give their eye teeth to have a lossless set of SOT or something of that nature.  So I really don't get the complaints.

To put this in Another perspective...

This reminds of when I was in my late teens. And this was in the early 90ies. Being a BB-fan but above all a student I didn't have much money either, and it was actually a miracle that in those years I managed to obtain all Capitol 2fers and Epic releases on CD (which took me years). And (for me) this was pre-internet time. I missed out on a lot of releases as well, simply because I couldn't afford them at the time. And not just the official ones, don't even start on bootlegs. Fortunately, thanks to a few friends, I did get to hear some stuff I couldn't buy (the good old cassette copies Smiley ). Getting the chance to hear or buy something rare, or officially unreleased was very difficult.
And for the 60/70ies generation this undoubtly was even harder (I'm sure there are a few older fans here that can confirm this)

So it litterally took me a few centuries to build a collection...

... and for nowadays fans it'll take a week at most to download it all. Consider yourselves priviliged! Many fans paid a lot of $$ to get or hear not nearly half of what this generation can get for free on YT or some torrent.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 11, 2013, 01:07:37 PM »

Also, Dear Capitol... please make the mastering nice. Not overly bright, hard or hyped.  Smiley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 11, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »

Glad this has  finally  been officially announced! I can't wait for disc six....there's a treat on there that everyone has missed in the excitement over CF74 and WIBNTLA...

... which is what exactly....
Paulos
« Reply #296 on: June 11, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »

What's the name of the supposedly mind-blowing Dennis Wilson song that was found recently?

'My Love Lives On'?

Don't see that it can be anything else. To my count we have 3 previously unreleased Dennis songs on the set, Mona Kana, WIBNTLA and My Love Lives On. We all know Mona Kana has been booted and that WIBNTLA has never been booted but I know nothing about My Love Lives On.

Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 11, 2013, 01:12:13 PM »

Wow – such gnashing and wailing over the contents of a boxed set.  Surely Phil Cohen’s done some sort of Vulcan mind meld with some of the people who post here.

But what is missing that people cannot live without?

Carry Me Home – For me, that’s probably the bigget omission, because the sound quality on the booted version makes it barely listenable.

California Slide – Unfinished at best, and probably not worthy of being finished.

Out in the Country – A fragment.

Adult Child tracks – They’re out there, and the sq is pretty good.

Stevie – a BW solo track, so doesn’t really belong.

Big Sur early version – Hardly crucial in my book, and it’s been booted in OK quality.

CIFOTM mono mix – Would be nice to have, but can be assembled.

My Solution – If you’re complaining about not getting this, you don’t have a lot of credibility.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 11, 2013, 01:15:39 PM »

'My Love Lives On'?

Don't see that it can be anything else. To my count we have 3 previously unreleased Dennis songs on the set, Mona Kana, WIBNTLA and My Love Lives On. We all know Mona Kana has been booted and that WIBNTLA has never been booted but I know nothing about My Love Lives On.

I googled it and nothing, nada, except today's news.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: June 11, 2013, 01:17:34 PM »

Hmmm... mostly disappointed, but will get it anyway.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx