gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681509 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 12:04:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 445519 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2013, 11:50:45 AM »

Sorry Capitol, I really wanted to buy this thing

No you didn't. You wanted to buy the imaginary box set you made up in your head that bore no relation to anything that was announced. Capitol said they would be putting out a career-spanning box set and that's what they've done. You were never going to buy such a thing.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »

That's the unspoken disappointment here.

Did the hits really need to be included, especially after the 50 big ones CD only a few months ago. It's food for thought.

Sorry Capitol, I really wanted to buy this thing but you give me too little of an incentive. Torrents here I come.

They did not. This box is a two-edged sword for the fans considering that it's 130$ and contains Barbara Ann and Kokomo for the n'th time. Greatest hits sets already flood the market and these songs will not drive demand for the box. Poor students such as myself cannot afford to buy huge boxed sets with only 35 % new music and only 35% of that is genuinely new (not 'alternate versions/a capella').

I wish it was all unreleased stuff. But the band likely wouldn't have and Capitol certainly wouldn't have given a green light to a 6 CD all-rarities set. Capitol is putting the set out banking on luring some casual fans with recognizable tracks.

The band itself is notorious for being apprehensive about releasing outtakes from certain eras. They were likely convinced by the "career spanning" aspect and their own personal picks.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:56:22 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: June 11, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »

"HeyJude" and I are thinking back on our similar experiences with Anthology and those specific years with Beatles releases, and we're on the same wavelength: Apple had a plan for these releases over two years, and to their credit we as Beatles fans were not repurchasing the same material on the sets that were coming out. The Red and Blue was late '93 for the hits, we got the BBC multi-disc release soon after, and then came the series of Anthology sets. You could buy each of those, as I did, and not feel like I was buying what I had already bought in the recent past, it was all "new" as far as official releases.

Living near Tower I actually chose to buy Anthology at Best Buy because they were giving out a free exclusive disc with interviews and other clips along with a cheesy screensaver, and that was somewhat disposable but seemed like a better bonus than Tower, who I think gave out a poster or something.

Just on the surface, here in 2013, if the other 50th hits set had not been a factor, having those hits on the deluxe box would be a different scenario and perhaps not as much of an issue with some of us as it seems to be.

But I will restate this going back to the Beatles, if Apple had put those same hits from the red and blue onto the Anthology instead of the rarities, and had all of them in print and in the stores at the same time, we'd be feeling much the same about those releases. As it stands, we got Red/Blue, BBC, and Anthology 1-2-3 in the span of two years with little or no repeat tracks on those sets. The casual fans got the big hits, new BBC tracks, and the rarities if they wanted them, and recall you didn't need to buy the full Anthology 1 to get Free As A Bird or Anthology 2 to get Real Love because both were available as CD singles which also included additional rare tracks.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 11, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Capitol read this and thought, f*** the ungrateful bastards, we'll pull the set.

O dear, Phil Cohen hacked AGD's account...   Grin

On a more serious note: I'm very happy with this track list. Of course we all have our favorite (unreleased) songs that are not included on this comp, but I can't wait to hear the ones that ARE included. Kudo's to all that made this box possible. I'm sure it has been a tough job getting this collection compiled. And after a marvellous 2012 with a new reunion album and tour, this is more than could have dreamed of.
Well said! We are an ungrateful lot, though. We only think about what we want for ourselves. Even like with this box, where people want it to be what it was never meant to be. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

This nonsensical talk of 'gratefulness' is utter shite.

I am a consumer. I consume with my $$$$ and I what I know is out there I will glady buy with my $$$$!

The customer is ALWAYS right. If people are unhappy, they should voice their dissatisfaction.

I am dissatified. They've kept this in a bag for over 1 and 1/2 years and then they think I will buy WIBNTLA for 130 $? Heck, even beachboys_fr is offering a cleaner deal!

The fans have been demanding a release of the unreleased.

No one here gives a sh*t if Barbara Ann, GOK, CG, Surfin' USA or KOKOMO are on this. We buy it for the unreleased. Casual fans will NOT buy this, only we will buy it. That is to say, maybe some of you will but I cannot afford WIBNTLA for 130$! No I don't care if 'Goin To The Beach' is included in that offer.

Call me ungrateful or whatever. You are wrong, I am right. Why am I right? I earn my $$$$ and I can spend my $$$$ as I'd like. I want to max my pleasure (as all of you do) with my $$$$. This box, MiC, will not give me the utmost pleasure of my $$$$.

I thank God people cannot decide for me how I should spend my money.

Thank God for piracy.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 11, 2013, 11:57:44 AM »

As far as future unreleased material, they should simply do something similar like Robert Fripp has done with the King Crimson catalog - open the vaults to EVERYTHING and let you download complete concerts (multi-tracks, soundboard tapes, audience recordings), sessions, radio broadcasts, etc (FLAC or MP3).  No production costs (they let you download and print artwork) and no distribution costs.  They now have released so many shows that you can get (for example) 28 shows from the 1995 tour for only $120.00 via FLAC - great price for what amounts to 56 discs!).  The die-hard fans would get what they are looking for in one place.  Check it out http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?&name=crimson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 11, 2013, 11:58:23 AM »

That's a long way of saying "I prefer free music".  LOL
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 11, 2013, 12:01:48 PM »

Any reason why we're not keeping this to one 'Made in California' thread? What would Phil Cohen said? (and what about Phil Collins?)

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 11, 2013, 12:04:05 PM »

I volunteer to answer in his name.

It's A New Day
Carry Me Home
California Slide
anything from Adult Child
Out In The Country
anything Blondie/Ricky
anything new uncovered from Smile
stereo WH songs of those that remained

the list goes is quite significant considering what was hoped for. ultimately this box will derive its sales from the fan base. the fan base has been let down slightly by being forced to buy Surfin' USA again.

Oh, come, be reasonable! No-one is being 'forced' to buy *anything*, and you can by individual MP3s of just the stuff you want if you like when the time comes.

Those Blondie/Ricky/Dennis tracks are a bit of an acquired taste. And, moreover, they *are* all out there in pretty reasonable quality in bootleg-land, unlike several never-before booted tracks on this set. The SMiLE stuff - well, yes, I do hear you on that, but I guess the Durrie Parks stuff has simply vanished into a collectors' hands, never to be heard of again. For whatever reason, it's clearly inaccessible, otherwise it would surely be here. And the Wild Honey tracks... is anyone REALLY missing A Thing Or Two in stereo? Here Comes The Night, maybe... but is it known for sure that there are still multitracks with *all of* the parts for that one? I'm really not sure about that...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 11, 2013, 12:04:29 PM »

The customer is ALWAYS right. If people are unhappy, they should voice their dissatisfaction.

But you're *not* the customer, since you're not planning on buying the box.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2013, 12:05:35 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Capitol read this and thought, f*** the ungrateful bastards, we'll pull the set.

On a more serious note: I'm very happy with this track list. Of course we all have our favorite (unreleased) songs that are not included on this comp, but I can't wait to hear the ones that ARE included. Kudo's to all that made this box possible. I'm sure it has been a tough job getting this collection compiled. And after a marvellous 2012 with a new reunion album and tour, this is more than could have dreamed of.
Well said! We are an ungrateful lot, though. We only think about what we want for ourselves. Even like with this box, where people want it to be what it was never meant to be. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

I am a consumer. I consume with my $$$$ and I what I know is out there I will glady buy with my $$$$!

I am dissatified. They've kept this in a bag for over 1 and 1/2 years and then they think I will buy WIBNTLA for 130 $? Heck, even beachboys_fr is offering a cleaner deal!

No one here gives a sh*t if Barbara Ann, GOK, CG, Surfin' USA or KOKOMO are on this. We buy it for the unreleased. Casual fans will NOT buy this, only we will buy it. That is to say, maybe some of you will but I cannot afford WIBNTLA for 130$! No I don't care if 'Goin To The Beach' is included in that offer.

Call me ungrateful or whatever. You are wrong, I am right. Why am I right? I earn my $$$$ and I can spend my $$$$ as I'd like. I want to max my pleasure (as all of you do) with my $$$$. This box, MiC, will not give me the utmost pleasure of my $$$$.

Thank God for piracy.

*Some* relatively casual fans will buy this set, especially as a holiday gift. Capitol is banking on that demographic in part, because hardcore fans aren't always enough.

I hope they can do more targeted, limited archival releases in the future. I'm not holding my breath though.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »

OK, after treading through the 10 pages of comments, I side with the posters who say we should be grateful.  EVERYONE is going to have different tracks they thought should have been on here, and the producers and the Beach Boys themselves had a tough job trying to please the masses and also get their favorites in there too.  Yeah, some track selections are ?-worthy (Da Doo Run Run?), but I believe everything on here was chosen for a reason.  I'm sure that MANY other songs were considered, but there was only so much space.  Kind of like when you go on vacation and can only fit so much into your suitcase.  Same principle here.

That said, I'm kinda bummed that Keepin The Summer Alive and Lady Lynda and Still Cruisin were left off...those are very underappreciated tracks.  But fans like us have these tracks in triplicate at least, by now.  But count me as VERY pleased and surprised that It's A Beautiful Day made the cut.  I thought that the licensing issues for that song would have prevented it from even being considered.

And finally!  It's About Time gets the appreciation it deserves!  I think this is the first compilation I've ever seen it on (other than a promo comp released in 1970).

I'm very excited about this boxed set, and this announcement made my day!  I will gladly plunk down the $130 for probably the best release we'll see from the Beach Boys for quite a while.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:12:42 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2013, 12:06:27 PM »

It's A New Day
Carry Me Home
California Slide
Out In The Country
anything Blondie/Ricky

Anything new uncovered from Smile? Such as?

The fact that you can only name three songs speaks to the success of the set. If you scroll back you'll see that I too wish that there were other songs on here as well. Carry Me Home, definitely. It's Trying to Say, definitely. I suppose the greater question is, if they were aware enough to put on some unreleased tracks, why not these others? Nevertheless, the set is hardly a big disappointment.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »

This means as well that the twofer bonus tracks are lost forever since aren't those OOP too? Shame.
Paulos
« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2013, 12:07:05 PM »

Having worked extensively in customer service I can say that the customer is not always right, the customer is nearly always a complete asshole.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »

As far as future unreleased material, they should simply do something similar like Robert Fripp has done with the King Crimson catalog - open the vaults to EVERYTHING and let you download complete concerts (multi-tracks, soundboard tapes, audience recordings), sessions, radio broadcasts, etc (FLAC or MP3).  No production costs (they let you download and print artwork) and no distribution costs.  They now have released so many shows that you can get (for example) 28 shows from the 1995 tour for only $120.00 via FLAC - great price for what amounts to 56 discs!).  The die-hard fans would get what they are looking for in one place.  Check it out http://www.dgmlive.com/archive.htm?&name=crimson

AMEN to this. It's our only hope for much of this material. I hope they can release it so the surviving BB don't have to snuff it for us to hear it. I love their music, regardless of it's banality and regardless of how embarrassing it is for them. We know so much about them that they cannot really believe they can keep secrets. The fans know more or less everyhting about the music, so providing a download service would be just fine. Then Brian won't have to worry about Marilyn hearing 'Marilyn Rovell' on the radio anytime soon.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »

Well, it's true that 'the customer is always right'...

but it's also true that 'you can't please all of the people all of the time'!

There are a lot of people who are happy here. There are also a lot of people that are, at least, at peace with this tracklist, and there are, as there always are, some who are completely incandescent about it for whatever reason.

...so what's new?

I'm guessing the GV box met with similar responses amongst fans back in the day. Anyone here still around from those days? Was the PSML running back then? Was it fanmade carnage back then too...?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »

This means as well that the twofer bonus tracks are lost forever since aren't those OOP too? Shame.

I just looked on Amazon UK, and they're all available on there still. Don't know about other countries.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »

Thank God for piracy.

WTH?

I just told you earlier that I don't mind the fact that the hits are on this box set.  I mentioned this past weekend that my GV box set has become a tattered mess (doesn't even have a top to it anymore) and I was going to use MIC to "replace" the GV box set in my collection.  Don't make assumptions.  Some of us are fine with the hits being there and are perfectly understanding given that this band doesn't have the type of fanbase generally speaking that will flock to shops to pick up a 6-CD box set of rarities.  As I've mentioned there are very few bands who can put out a major expansive rarities box set and still make a profit.  The Beach Boys don't fall into that category unless they are releasing a package specifically dedicated to one seminal album like "Pet Sounds" or "SMiLE".  There just isn't enough interest on the part of the general public in the vast body of unreleased Beach Boys material to justify a rarities box set at this time.  

I totally understand your viewpoint of wanting to do what you will with your money and can even understand you feeling cheated that most of the material in this box set is familiar to you and therefore isn't much of an incentive for you to buy it.  But you are in a very very very small minority when it comes to that line of thinking.  Again I'm of the mindset that this boxset will sell to those collectors who are either interested in the concept of a Beach Boys package inclusive of all the hits plus a smattering of rarities and the casual fan who wants to obtain as much Beach Boys material within the scope of one package.  Does that mean it's going to fly off shelves?  No in fact I wouldn't be very surprised if it's a hard sell because as I've mentioned in this day and age box sets don't sell all that well due to their hefty price tag and the limited market they command.

But don't make it sound as if The Beach Boys are knifing you through the heart here.  This is a business first and foremost.  They are in this to make money and it's ultimately your decision if they see any of yours.  They are releasing a perfectly acceptable commercial product onto the market which is going to find an audience as limited as it may be.  To my knowledge they never represented this box set as anything other than what it will appear to be come release date and that is a career spanning box set aimed at the general marketplace with some rarities tucked inside as a lure to collectors.  Now whether you choose to see that lure as something of a devious or nefarious nature is of course your subjective opinion.  Objectively they are trying to make money off of both demographics, the general public and the seasoned collector and there is nothing wrong with that.

NOW BACK TO THE MUSIC: Does anyone know any specifics about that bandied about Dennis Wilson rarity that was mentioned last week as being superior to WIBNTLA?  Is it on this box set?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:18:30 PM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 11, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »

I consider myself a 'customer'

I bought two versions of TSS and 3 of the stereo/mono releases. Since I'm only 22 I cannot throw money at everything I see so purchases must be made in accordance with utility. I really want to buy MIC, but how can I?
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 11, 2013, 12:13:47 PM »

Having worked extensively in customer service I can say that the customer is not always right, the customer is nearly always a complete asshole.
LOL
That's signature material right there

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 11, 2013, 12:14:37 PM »

It's A New Day
Carry Me Home
California Slide
Out In The Country
anything Blondie/Ricky

Anything new uncovered from Smile? Such as?

The fact that you can only name three songs speaks to the success of the set. If you scroll back you'll see that I too wish that there were other songs on here as well. Carry Me Home, definitely. It's Trying to Say, definitely. I suppose the greater question is, if they were aware enough to put on some unreleased tracks, why not these others? Nevertheless, the set is hardly a big disappointment.

It's not a big disappointment, it's just I cannot pay this money for this limited music. I am sadly not a part of the demographic this set aspires to, yet I was really hoping I could be apart of this. I don't want the hits, I have their hits more than any sane person would dare admit and I cannot buy more of them.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 11, 2013, 12:15:53 PM »

@Ram4

You are of course absolutely right. Using compact discs as the medium of distribution is nothing but brain dead. The CD capacity is limited to 74 minutes (or whatever, plus the songs need to be burned into the disc). Why limit yourself like that? You do not even have to decide how many CD:s the box should contain, because CD:s are obsolete and there should be no box. Typewriters are also obsolete.

Hey, Capitol Records. There is something called THE INTERNET.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 11, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »

I bought two versions of TSS and 3 of the stereo/mono releases. Since I'm only 22 I cannot throw money at everything I see so purchases must be made in accordance with utility. I really want to buy MIC, but how can I?

Save your pennies and you save your dimes?  Sorry bad timing.

From what you've posted I'd say your best bet is to grab the mp3s of the tracks you want off of Amazon or Itunes.  I know that the fancy packaging might be a lure to you but since you seem adverse to paying upwards of $100 for tracks you already have in your collection, I'm assuming that living without the packaging isn't necessarily going to be a supreme sacrifice.  Look I'll side with you on one point and that is box sets aren't necessarily friendly to your age demographic as they are generally marketed to an older demographic of the fanbase that generally has more money to plunk down on excesses like box sets.  So from that standpoint you are one hundred percent right in feeling the way you do.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Paulos
« Reply #248 on: June 11, 2013, 12:16:43 PM »

By exchanging money for the boxed set.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 11, 2013, 12:16:58 PM »

A customer is someone who pays money for a product or service. You've said you're refusing to pay for this. Therefore you're not a customer.

I really want to buy MIC, but how can I?

No you don't. You said yourself you don't want a box set with all the hits on.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx