gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:38:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 437894 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »

Who said this was the final boxed set?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2013, 09:29:11 AM »

I wish Mrs. O'Lerary's was the stereo mix..... is the California Feelin' demo the 1974 Brian version???
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2013, 09:29:33 AM »

So ah if this box set is pretty well down the line in terms of being a finished product ready to ship to shelves in around two months time, what exactly was Mike Love doing at Ocean Way Studios last week?  Perhaps giving the high sign on some final mixes for the project?

Unlikely, given that Scott was recording a new guitar part for one of Mike's songs. No idea what project that was for, but it seems pretty certain it wasn't this one...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »

I need to talk to the person who decided it was a wise choice not to include "Still I dream of it".

I might have a bit of a take on that Shady.  A few posts up the chain someone was mentioning "revisionist history" regarding Ricky and Blondie.  Well I think the "Adult Child" stuff in general may also be looked upon as a bit of revisionist history.  Perhaps things have changed since 1993 in so much as how the group (or certain members of the group) regards tracks like "Still I Dream Of It" and looks at them as Brian Wilson solo recordings.  Remember Brian Wilson did release a solo demo of "Still I Dream Of It" on the Don Was album so maybe he considers it his own exclusive property I don't know.

To draw a comparison, when The Beatles were compiling the "Anthology" series, there was a hard and fast rule initially in effect about not including any solo demo recordings because they weren't technically Beatles recordings.  This was scrapped when Paul McCartney wanted to get his demo of "Come And Get It" on the set and George Harrison capitulated only to allow his solo demos of "All Things Must Pass", "Something" and "Old Brown Shoe" on the set.  Something similar may have happened here regarding the "Adult Child" tracks.
#

That's an interesting theory but the inclusion of "It's over now" contradicts it..

If "It's over now" made the cut it's pretty surprising "Still I dream of it" didn't. Both fantastic songs that deserve a proper release in a final Beach Boys box set.

Maybe it's the other point I mentioned that Brian Wilson views "Still I Dream Of It" as his own exclusive property now?  Could also be do to the ever present "space crunch" that inevitably occurs when assembling sets like these?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 11, 2013, 09:30:09 AM »

It's a career spanning board set. Always advertised as such. Not a rarities collection.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:36 AM »

That's an interesting theory but the inclusion of "It's over now" contradicts it..

I don't think it does -- It's Over Now includes Carl and Brian, Beach Boy*s* plural. Still I Dream Of It only had Brian on it...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: June 11, 2013, 09:33:15 AM »

"Brian's Back" is a pretty significant part of the legacy.

I'm glad it's coming out when it's coming out and I'm glad that it has all sorts of exciting choices but I am also sad that I will still have no good quality recording of Carry me Home, Walkin', My Solution, It's Trying to Say, etc. These are bizarre omissions.

I'm a little less troubled by exclusions that already "circulate" in decent quality. The "Adult Child" stuff at least exists in pretty decent quality, though certainly not pristine. I've never found "It's Trying to Say" particularly great, but that's just one track. Al's take on "On Broadway" is actually one of his best unreleased vocals.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:34:46 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 11, 2013, 09:34:19 AM »

Let us not forget that "It's Over Now" was included on the '93 set playing at the incorrect speed.  Hopefully the version on MIC corrects this.  We already have Still I Dream Of It in proper fidelity and speed on an official release.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 11, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »

Hey WAIT A MINUTE! - We're forgetting something! (regardless how minute)

"The infamous Boyd/Linett hidden tracks"

Probably nothing earth shattering but maybe the 2012 version of "Do It Again" pops up somewhere?  A few radio promos perhaps?  The never before released audio of Brian clandestinely phoning in an order for a pizza right under the nose of Landy?

Thoughts?

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 11, 2013, 09:37:49 AM »

I don't think it does -- It's Over Now includes Carl and Brian, Beach Boy*s* plural. Still I Dream Of It only had Brian on it...

It's still a reach to assume Brian feels like it's his own song so he stopped it from being included on MIC. I really don't see Brian doing something like that.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »

How liberal are they going to be with auto-tuning past recorded vox?? ....like they did with RWMH Wonderful on the SMiLE box??
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2013, 09:39:36 AM »

I really want to hear Phil Cohen's thoughts on the box set.

leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »

MIC = its a lil' better than the dozens & dozens of Beach Boy's Blahx Sets.

Must be....

Evil Cousin Michael's fault!!  Evil

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2013, 09:41:40 AM »

It's still a reach to assume Brian feels like it's his own song so he stopped it from being included on MIC. I really don't see Brian doing something like that.

Maybe it wasn't his call?  You have to draw the line somewhere in terms of what is solo Brian Wilson and what is Beach Boys and maybe "Still I Dream Of It' was a casualty of where the line was drawn.  Look if they opted to incorporate solo work into this project it would've been far more expansive in terms of depth but quite possibly unmarketable in terms of the price tag it would carry as you would probably have to add on another disc at least.  As I said, the line had to be drawn somewhere and my personal feeling is "Still I Dream Of It" fell on the wrong side of that line.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »

Regarding the inclusion of "It's Over Now", I'm guessing this was only duplicated from the GV boxed set because they may have remixed it and digitally corrected Carl's vocal so it sounds correct speed wise.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2013, 09:43:31 AM »

I do agree with those saying that this isn't a rarities collection and that there was going to be some crossover with the GV box set. I think they have made some very sensible decisions in omitting some of those album tracks like That Same Song and Funky Pretty (but some bizarre decisions in including album tracks like Solar System).

This collection could be a tough sell because many people may well already own the earlier set and this album surely will not have the same appeal. That set has Smile for the first time ever and this has Goin' to the Beach and Da Doo Ron Ron!

From a selfish point of view it is disappointing that most of those first 4 discs I could compile for myself now without too much trouble (Wouldn't it be Nice to Live Again apart).

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 11, 2013, 09:46:40 AM »

I do agree with those saying that this isn't a rarities collection and that there was going to be some crossover with the GV box set. I think they have made some very sensible decisions in omitting some of those album tracks like That Same Song and Funky Pretty (but some bizarre decisions in including album tracks like Solar System).

This collection could be a tough sell because many people may well already own the earlier set and this album surely will not have the same appeal. That set has Smile for the first time ever and this has Goin' to the Beach and Da Doo Ron Ron!

From a selfish point of view it is disappointing that most of those first 4 discs I could compile for myself now without too much trouble (Wouldn't it be Nice to Live Again apart).

Box sets are always a tough sell especially into today's cost conscious and mp3 driven music market.  This will be sold mainly to fans like the ones who congregate on this forum and although that logic somewhat flies in the face of "why the heck not did they just not make this a rarities set", the general public will probably be more than satisfied to pick up one of the myriad of "greatest hits" compilations that are on the shelves right now. 

Anyone have the numbers on TSS last year?  How well did that do because this is likely going to sell less than that.  So that should give you some barometer anyhow.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Melt Away
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: June 11, 2013, 09:51:33 AM »

Does "Goin' to the Beach" remind anyone else of junkie looking ML in a cowboy hat? Awesome track list although, we all could of added and subtracted a few..

beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 11, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »

This is just great!
I'm 99,9% happy! (it would've been 100% with I've Got a Friend)
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:16 AM »

OK, I don't understand why so many smiley smilers taken it for granted that "of course" they have to include all the hits. WHY? WHY? WHY? #1) They released the Smile Sessions which had ZERO hits on it (basically) and they deemed that worthy enough to sell on its own. #2) I know it's not a totally fair comparison, but the Beatles Anthology 1 broke sales records and it didn't have a single previously released track on it. Same for anthology 2 and 3 although they didn't sell AS well....

I was initially beside myself with joy. Now I'm actually bummed. UNLESS YOU'RE AN AUDIOPHILE (which I'm not), only about 20% of the box set would seem to be truly new. It's absolutely freakin' ridiculous how many times these songs have come out, IN THE PAST DECADE ALONE. I'm seriously thinking about not buying it. $130?Huh Just like the Smile Sessions which contained all new material, they should have released a box set of unreleased recordings exclusively/plus the Past Masters style compilation of odds and ends. THAT would have been great.

Sorry guys. This is a disappointment. It's throwing us fans a bone, which I appreciate, but how could I possibly justify spending $130 to my wife when in reality I already have 80% of these recordings, not just once, but in many cases many times over. She would laugh in my face!!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2013, 09:58:18 AM »

Maybe it wasn't his call?  You have to draw the line somewhere in terms of what is solo Brian Wilson and what is Beach Boys and maybe "Still I Dream Of It' was a casualty of where the line was drawn.  Look if they opted to incorporate solo work into this project it would've been far more expansive in terms of depth but quite possibly unmarketable in terms of the price tag it would carry as you would probably have to add on another disc at least.  As I said, the line had to be drawn somewhere and my personal feeling is "Still I Dream Of It" fell on the wrong side of that line.

It made the 93 box set though.

Your reason could easily be correct. Bottom line, it is missed.

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2013, 09:58:25 AM »

It's a career spanning board set. Always advertised as such. Not a rarities collection.

It was repeatedly called a "deep cuts box."  

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=1931764

I guess everybody hear was wrong to speculate on the inclusion of rarities.  

Let down of let downs.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 11, 2013, 09:59:15 AM »

Does "Goin' to the Beach" remind anyone else of junkie looking ML in a cowboy hat? Awesome track list although, we all could of added and subtracted a few..
I have heard Goin' To the Beach and it is not a good song. Highly overrated.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 10:01:07 AM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 11, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »

OK, I don't understand why so many smiley smilers taken it for granted that "of course" they have to include all the hits. WHY? WHY? WHY? #1) They released the Smile Sessions which had ZERO hits on it (basically) and they deemed that worthy enough to sell on its own. #2) I know it's not a totally fair comparison, but the Beatles Anthology 1 broke sales records and it didn't have a single previously released track on it. Same for anthology 2 and 3 although they didn't sell AS well....

I was initially beside myself with joy. Now I'm actually bummed. UNLESS YOU'RE AN AUDIOPHILE (which I'm not), only about 20% of the box set would seem to be truly new. It's absolutely freakin' ridiculous how many times these songs have come out, IN THE PAST DECADE ALONE. I'm seriously thinking about not buying it. $130?Huh Just like the Smile Sessions which contained all new material, they should have released a box set of unreleased recordings exclusively/plus the Past Masters style compilation of odds and ends. THAT would have been great.

Sorry guys. This is a disappointment. It's throwing us fans a bone, which I appreciate, but how could I possibly justify spending $130 to my wife when in reality I already have 80% of these recordings, not just once, but in many cases many times over. She would laugh in my face!!

That's the unspoken disappointment here.

Did the hits really need to be included, especially after the 50 big ones CD only a few months ago. It's food for thought.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 11, 2013, 10:01:33 AM »

UNLESS YOU'RE AN AUDIOPHILE (which I'm not), only about 20% of the box set would seem to be truly new.

Again, this is not the case. Thirty-four percent of it is stuff that has never been legally released. And no, I'm not talking about stereo remixes (they *have* been released before), but about unreleased songs, live performances, and significantly different alternate versions.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx