gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:55:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 437969 times)
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 11, 2013, 08:57:06 AM »

I need to talk to the person who decided it was a wise choice not to include "Still I dream of it".

I might have a bit of a take on that Shady.  A few posts up the chain someone was mentioning "revisionist history" regarding Ricky and Blondie.  Well I think the "Adult Child" stuff in general may also be looked upon as a bit of revisionist history.  Perhaps things have changed since 1993 in so much as how the group (or certain members of the group) regards tracks like "Still I Dream Of It" and looks at them as Brian Wilson solo recordings.  Remember Brian Wilson did release a solo demo of "Still I Dream Of It" on the Don Was album so maybe he considers it his own exclusive property I don't know.

To draw a comparison, when The Beatles were compiling the "Anthology" series, there was a hard and fast rule initially in effect about not including any solo demo recordings because they weren't technically Beatles recordings.  This was scrapped when Paul McCartney wanted to get his demo of "Come And Get It" on the set and George Harrison capitulated only to allow his solo demos of "All Things Must Pass", "Something" and "Old Brown Shoe" on the set.  Something similar may have happened here regarding the "Adult Child" tracks.

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Nicko1234
« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2013, 09:02:07 AM »

Or maybe the people who were excited have different ideas of what's exciting? I really, really don't know what people were expecting. A third of the box is unreleased stuff. It contains the tracks that people were saying were dealbreakers -- California Feeling 74 and Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again. It's got Soul Searchin' and You're Still A Mystery, tracks from the box set tour, Sherry She Needs Me, Mona Kana, and a few tracks that haven't even been *rumoured* to exist before (or if they have, the rumours haven't reached me).

Personally, I'm pretty enthusiastic about that...

Which is a considerably smaller proportion than on the GV box set.

I can completely understand people being enthusiastic but I would love to understand how this track listing came to be decided. How was Our Car Club included and Big Sur (early version) omitted? How was Slip on Through included (in two versions) and yet so many unreleased 1970s songs omitted?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:05:18 AM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »

I might have a bit of a take on that Shady.  A few posts up the chain someone was mentioning "revisionist history" regarding Ricky and Blondie.  Well I think the "Adult Child" stuff in general may also be looked upon as a bit of revisionist history.  Perhaps things have changed since 1993 in so much as how the group (or certain members of the group) regards tracks like "Still I Dream Of It" and looks at them as Brian Wilson solo recordings.  Remember Brian Wilson did release a solo demo of "Still I Dream Of It" on the Don Was album so maybe he considers it his own exclusive property I don't know.

To draw a comparison, when The Beatles were compiling the "Anthology" series, there was a hard and fast rule initially in effect about not including any solo demo recordings because they weren't technically Beatles recordings.  This was scrapped when Paul McCartney wanted to get his demo of "Come And Get It" on the set and George Harrison capitulated only to allow his solo demos of "All Things Must Pass", "Something" and "Old Brown Shoe" on the set.  Something similar may have happened here regarding the "Adult Child" tracks.

It's Over Now is included though (along with solo Dennis and Mike tracks).
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 11, 2013, 09:05:17 AM »

I really didn't notice that at first, mainly because the artwork on the CD's looks like someone's first ever go at paint shop.
The Made in California button posted ages ago was much better!!!
With all respect, but that button cover was plain dull.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 11, 2013, 09:05:26 AM »

I'm intrigued by the Sherry She Needs Me track... This has to be some mix we haven't heard yet, right?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 11, 2013, 09:07:04 AM »

Tracklist:

The Beach Boys: Made In California

Just curious, what is the source for this?

I've been thinking about it for months, and this was the best fantasy list I could come up with today. Yesterday it was different,, tomorrow it'll be different again…    Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »

Tracklist:

I've been thinking about it for months, and this was the best fantasy list I could come up with today. Yesterday it was different,, tomorrow it'll be different again…    Grin

Gotcha!

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130611-905703.html

SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2013, 09:07:47 AM »

w00t! Thank you Beach Boys and Capitol Records!!!

But...no live or studio version of 'Country Pie'?  Cry

I take it that we can add those LIVE tracks from 1972-1973 to the 'In Concert' CD and make a nice expanded live collection from that era.

Nice to see Dennis well represented along with Carl.

FANtastic!!!

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »

To an earlier poster who was enthusiastic about Surf's Up 1967 - 2012 mix - it's the same as on the SMile sessions box.  Not listed as a new track.

Quite a few disappointments to us hard core fans - no Child mono instrumental track (Brian mix), no stereo remixes of the remaining Wild Honey songs they have the multitracks for (Thing or Two and Here Comes the Night), no Dennis "I'm Going Your Way" or "Carry Me Home" or "It's a New Day", no new SMile pieces when apparently some stuff was uncovered after the box set, etc.  Using the stereo remixes instead of the mono originals on many of the released tracks.  I realize this release has to appeal to casual BB fans that went to the 50th shows, but the result is a hybrid that won't be fully satisfying to either the casual fan or the hard core fan.  But maybe that's the middle ground this release had to tread.

That said, I am nevertheless eagerly anticipating hearing the previously unreleased tracks on disc 6 and of course FINALLY "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again"!
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 11, 2013, 09:08:35 AM »

Or maybe the people who were excited have different ideas of what's exciting? I really, really don't know what people were expecting. A third of the box is unreleased stuff. It contains the tracks that people were saying were dealbreakers -- California Feeling 74 and Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again. It's got Soul Searchin' and You're Still A Mystery, tracks from the box set tour, Sherry She Needs Me, Mona Kana, and a few tracks that haven't even been *rumoured* to exist before (or if they have, the rumours haven't reached me).

I can completely understand people being enthusiastic but I would love to understand how this track listing came to be decided. How was Our Car Club included and Big Sur (early version) omitted? How was Slip on Through included (in two versions) and yet so many 1970s songs omitted?

Two words: Personal Favorites.

For the record when a box set of this magnitude is generally compiled the first and foremost concern is including all the requisite hits that fans buying the box set will be expecting to hear.  Once "Fun Fun Fun", "I Get Around", "Surfer Girl" and all their brothers and cousins are included then it comes down to basically the personal choices regarding what the band themselves would like to see on the box set and more times than not that boils down to the favorite songs of the band.  

One band member might say, "Hey I like my vocal on that one" lets include that.  In this case since Carl and Denny are no longer with us, the surviving band members would make similar suggestions regarding what songs highlight their deceased bandmates the best.  Once all the personal favorites are added to the mix, the rest of the space on the box set is used for rarities and that is where I think people like Alan Boyd with a slight nod to those who keep watch over this forum are indispensable because they essentially are tuned into what the fans want from a rarities standpoint.  Put all that together and you have your MIC box set and don't worry I'm sure you'll get the official answers to the questions that you seek as Boyd and Linett were very candid post TSS last year about how certain decisions were made regarding the box set.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:09:31 AM by JohnMill » Logged

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »

I'm intrigued by the Sherry She Needs Me track... This has to be some mix we haven't heard yet, right?

It's the one with the 76 vocal overdubs by Brian.  Don't know if the mix is exactly the same as the booted version, hopefully it will be tweaked some, in a good way.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2013, 09:11:25 AM »

Tracklist:

Gotcha!

http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130611-905703.html

Great find John! Thanks.  Smiley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »

Fifty out of 142 tracks on the GV box were unreleased -- 35% of the total
Sixty out of 174 tracks on this box are unreleased -- 34%

I don't call that "a considerably smaller proportion" myself -- *especially* since there are several songs that were either on or post-date the GV box but have become essentials on any new collection.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2013, 09:16:03 AM »

No, I assume it's the one we've all heard. 65 backing track and 76 vocal sounds like what we already have.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Nicko1234
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2013, 09:16:29 AM »

Two words: Personal Favorites.

For the record when a box set of this magnitude is generally compiled the first and foremost concern is including all the requisite hits that fans buying the box set will be expecting to hear.  Once "Fun Fun Fun", "I Get Around", "Surfer Girl" and all their brothers and cousins are included then it comes down to basically the personal choices regarding what the band themselves would like to see on the box set and more times than not that boils down to the favorite songs of the band.  

One band member might say, "Hey I like my vocal on that one" lets include that.  In this case since Carl and Denny are no longer with us, the surviving band members would make similar suggestions regarding what songs highlight their deceased bandmates the best.  Once all the personal favorites are added to the mix, the rest of the space on the box set is used for rarities and that is where I think people like Alan Boyd with a slight nod to those who keep watch over this forum are indispensable because they essentially are tuned into what the fans want from a rarities standpoint.  Put all that together and you have your MIC box set and don't worry I'm sure you'll get the official answers to the questions that you seek as Boyd and Linett were very candid post TSS last year about how certain decisions were made regarding the box set.

The fans wanted Goin' to the Beach and Da Doo Ron Ron? I'm kidding obviously.

I'm sure personal favourites may well have come into it but I would love to know what goes through the band members minds. They have made some duff selections imo.
El Molé
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2013, 09:19:12 AM »

I'm laughing my ass off right now. We're pissing & moaning already and the tracklist list as been released how long? Wink
You're right about that, but from the looks of it a lot has been changed from the initial tracklist. The people in the know that leaked certain information wouldn't have been so excited had this been the tracklist... Cry

Agreed!  I think that's what this is all about.  Early reports were quite enthusiastic.  Something must have happened.

Excellent post. Minor quibbles aside, I think this set looks excellent. Its a great representation of the Beach Boys body of work and there is plenty to excite the deeper fan too. I'm particularly pleased to see Dennis so well represented.

This was never planned to be a rarities set, so not all rarities were going to make the cut. What is here is very exciting and they've done a great job of selecting hits, deep cuts and rarities too.

JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 11, 2013, 09:20:33 AM »

So ah if this box set is pretty well down the line in terms of being a finished product ready to ship to shelves in around two months time, what exactly was Mike Love doing at Ocean Way Studios last week?  Perhaps giving the high sign on some final mixes for the project?

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 11, 2013, 09:20:47 AM »

I don't call that "a considerably smaller proportion" myself -- *especially* since there are several songs that were either on or post-date the GV box but have become essentials on any new collection.

But of those 60, at least 15 are live and a majority of the rest are just new stereo remixes or a backing track.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 11, 2013, 09:21:58 AM »

Sorry, miscounted slightly -- actually 52 tracks on GV were unreleased, making 37%. Still not to my mind considerably smaller.

Nicko1234
« Reply #119 on: June 11, 2013, 09:22:36 AM »

I happily stand corrected.

I personally wouldn't class 60 of these songs to be genuinely unreleased (or 50 of the GV Box Set). On the first 5 discs I would say there are 8 genuinely unreleased songs which is my only gripe.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 11, 2013, 09:23:40 AM »

What I see is that there's only one track from the 1972 Carnegie Hall set, and it's Only With You, one of my all-time faves and to my ears the definitive version of that track.

The fact that there's only one from that entire set leaves me highly optimistic that we're still likely to get an official release of the set, which represents one of their best ever live eras.

Similarly only two tracks from the '93 box set tour… there's more stuff there that merits release as we know.

I've got to say that I am personally delighted with the MIC tracklist. Just about everything one could hope for and sufficient to satisfy me for a few years! And enough omitted, h=ging b y the comments on the board already, for us to noodle about with possible track lists for years to come.

A gift.

Many thanks to all concerned.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2013, 09:25:24 AM »

It's a career spanning board set. Always advertised as such. Not a rarities collection.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »

But of those 60, at least 15 are live and a majority of the rest are just new stereo remixes or a backing track.

And exactly the same could, again, be said of the GV box. Of the fifty-two unreleased tracks, only fourteen were actual previously-unreleased songs (and that's counting H&V (Sections) and H&V (Intro), which is being generous). The other thirty-eight were backing tracks, a capella versions, live versions, fragments, alternative versions of previously-released songs and radio station jingles.

And I wasn't counting any new stereo mixes in the sixty.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »

I need to talk to the person who decided it was a wise choice not to include "Still I dream of it".

#

That's an interesting theory but the inclusion of "It's over now" contradicts it..

If "It's over now" made the cut it's pretty surprising "Still I dream of it" didn't. Both fantastic songs that deserve a proper release in a final Beach Boys box set.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2013, 09:28:10 AM »

It's a career spanning board set. Always advertised as such. Not a rarities collection.

Very few bands have the market to do rarities box sets anyhow.  The Beatles, Springsteen, Grateful Dead and maybe a handful of others.  Beach Boys have a more general market that want to hear the hits.

God Bless California
....to sink into the sea
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx