gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 08:55:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 441680 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #900 on: June 14, 2013, 12:18:41 PM »

This sounds so promising and exciting. I don't really trust anyone's tastes on here, especially not Andrew's, so i am very excited to hear this based on the minimal description and the year.

LOL
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 14, 2013, 12:24:29 PM »

Definitely could be an interactive thing to do for sure, but I'm one of those guys who really, really likes having a physical format of some sort. Which, obviously they're doing with the boxset, so I'll probably end up purchasing it anyway, it's just a mild hope of mine that they could have alternate versions of it. For some reason, I've never gotten into the whole cherry picking mp3s thing. If I'm hanging at home, I'm listening pretty strictly to vinyl, and if I'm in my car, I'm listening to CDs. I'd be fairly surprised, what with the recent cool factor and resurgence of the format, if they don't choose to do some type of vinyl release. They've proven to care about that type of thing, with The Smile Sessions and That's Why God Made The Radio even having a vinyl specific track listing.

I would be very, very surprised if there was a vinyl version -- That's Why God Made The Radio and Smile were single, coherent albums, and a vinyl release made sense. A vinyl version of Made In California would come to twelve or thirteen discs, and I don't see them putting out just the unreleased stuff on vinyl -- if they were going to do that they would have included it in the box like they did with Smile.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Nicko1234
« Reply #902 on: June 14, 2013, 12:36:39 PM »

That would be good, yes. I don't see them doing it, but it would be a very nice thing to do. Of course, if they do (as people have suggested seems very likely) make the tracks individually available as MP3s, you could essentially do that yourself. Might even be a fun group project for some people on the board to come up with a listenable sequence for just the unreleased stuff and make cover art for it, so people could burn their own Made In California Redux.

It will also be fairly easy to make a 1 disc live CD using the song from this and some of the odd live songs that were on Hawthorne, the GV Box,  a couple from Songs from Here and Back and elsewhere that should be a decent and coherent listen.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 14, 2013, 12:41:54 PM »

That would be good, yes. I don't see them doing it, but it would be a very nice thing to do. Of course, if they do (as people have suggested seems very likely) make the tracks individually available as MP3s, you could essentially do that yourself. Might even be a fun group project for some people on the board to come up with a listenable sequence for just the unreleased stuff and make cover art for it, so people could burn their own Made In California Redux.

It will also be fairly easy to make a 1 disc live CD using the song from this and some of the odd live songs that were on Hawthorne, the GV Box,  a couple from Songs from Here and Back and elsewhere that should be a decent and coherent listen.

True -- though frankly I wouldn't use any of the Here & Back stuff, as it's pretty poor.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #904 on: June 14, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »

The lack of any progress on the Beach Boys Central website after all these years should have been another indicator that "opening the vaults" as far as voluminous amounts of nothing but unreleased material is something that isn't easy or likely for some reason, whether it's fickle band members or legal red tape or some other reason.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:48:23 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #905 on: June 14, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »

HeyJude-

I appreciate the MIC "More commentary" on your BB Opinion Page.  I think you effectively state the good and the bad from the fan's perspective, and make a valiant attempt to explain why we're getting what we're getting.

I don't expect the temper tantrums on this site to stop anytime soon, but maybe if they read your commentary and give themselves a chance to calm down...
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 14, 2013, 04:01:28 PM »

I have the most preposterous supposition. Could the original Big Sur have been left off because with 'Til I Die, Lady, and Where Is She? being included (and all of them coming from the same era) there would then be too many tracks with the rhythm box?

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 14, 2013, 04:18:41 PM »

'Big Sur' has been near the top of my wish list for years. Even though it's been booted since the early 80's (in pretty darn good sound quality), I've always hoped it would see the light of day. I thought for sure it was going to be in Rarities, Ten Years of Harmony, the '93 box set, Endless Harmony, Hawthorne, or in some other 70's comp. It's been skipped over time after time, and I thought for SURE it was going to be included in MIC. It's almost like the last inductee on the list to be voted into the Hall Of Fame.

I don't think it's an oversight by the compilers. It was probably a contender for release at some point. Seems to me Al would not disapprove of it. So that leaves..............Mike Love, who's probably vetoed it for at least the last couple of Beach Boys comps containing unreleased/rarities.

When I see Al next month, it'll be the first question I ask him.  Why?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #908 on: June 14, 2013, 04:26:00 PM »

You are, of course, assuming that the band are that closely involved in the track selection and approval process: past history would tend to generally contradict this.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #909 on: June 14, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »

This makes sense... but they are too blind to see the artistic value of say, uh, Thank Him as opposed to California Dreamin'. It's just what it is. I accept that.

If you're comparing those two tracks, frankly I'm on the band's side. Thank Him is rubbish.

IMO, California Dreamin' sucks donkey testicles- a band trying to come up with a hit, or something, or maybe someone put a gun to their heads and made them record that Drek. I am ashamed that my favorite band put out that crap- but they did worse-

At least Thank Him has some soul and feeling. I guess we can agree to disagree! Sorry about the harsh language, but I really hate that song.  Grin

Oh come on.  "California Dreamin'" wasn't all that bad.  It's miles better than "Rock & Roll To The Rescue", "Happy Endings" or their cover of "Crocodile Rock"...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Nicko1234
« Reply #910 on: June 14, 2013, 04:33:10 PM »

You are, of course, assuming that the band are that closely involved in the track selection and approval process: past history would tend to generally contradict this.

They are involved in the approval process aren't they? I thought no unreleased song could be included if one of the band vetoed it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 14, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »

After looking over the tracklist a bit more, there are some real pluses to it. For one thing, it resequences songs like "Good Time" and "Susie Cincinnati" into their correct era. It aims to really dig into the story of the band in the 70s, and really emphasize Dennis's work. (Let's not even mention proper and fuller mixes of tunes like "Do It Again," which has never sounded great before, and "We're Together Again.")

And I think California Dreamin' is a fine selection. It was a relative hit for the band during a time when they didn't have many of them, and features great leads from Al and Carl. Somewhere Near Japan might have been better, though. Would have liked to have seen that backing vocal medley from Stars and Stripes on the bonus disc, though. All the albums would have been represented, then.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: June 14, 2013, 04:56:31 PM »

They are involved in the approval process aren't they? I thought no unreleased song could be included if one of the band vetoed it.

That's what I thought.  All the way back to the Good Vibrations box where Brian told them he didn't want LHRW on it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: June 14, 2013, 04:59:36 PM »

That's what I thought.  All the way back to the Good Vibrations box where Brian told them he didn't want LHRW on it.

I think the key word in AGD's quote is "closely." Coming in at the last minute and axing a track or two isn't the same as actively promoting your songs or suggesting additions to the box.
Nicko1234
« Reply #914 on: June 14, 2013, 05:03:53 PM »

I think the key word in AGD's quote is "closely." Coming in at the last minute and axing a track or two isn't the same as actively promoting your songs or suggesting additions to the box.

So it's the compilers of the set who don't think Big Sur (which was the example given) merited inclusion in your opinion?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: June 14, 2013, 05:49:28 PM »

So it's the compilers of the set who don't think Big Sur (which was the example given) merited inclusion in your opinion?

1. Alan Boyd read (and posted on) multiple boards for years. He has seen the endless want lists on these boards for future projects. See the "5 Songs For MIC" thread to see that Big Sur is still popular. So he knows what the most popular unreleased tracks are and those that have been booted over the years.

2. Just speculating here, but I'm sure most, if not all of the people involved in this project have at least considered songs based on Beach Boys message board want lists to see what the fans wanted. They sure must have read my "wants" over the years because a lot of them are going to be on the MIC box! Anyway, that's why I think Big Sur was proposed by the compilers but that it was vetoed by a band member. And I wouldn't be surprised if Alan Boyd and/or others have proposed this song for prior releases. Who knows who proposed what and who vetoed what. I don't. I just can't believe this one was overlooked for the umpteenth time. Same goes for Carry Me Home and I've Got a Friend, but to a much lesser extent. I never really expected the latter two songs. But "Big Sur" was a glaring omission.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:56:59 PM by Mikie » Logged

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: June 14, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »

The stereo "Do it Again" should be released as a single. As an eighteen year old with friends who are right in the "mainstream indie" segment of the market, I've found that they dig the relative spareness, kickass drums and late '60s DIY ethic - even if they're not fans of the Beach Boys. I would've said a few days ago that the only thing bumming the potential success of a rerelease would've been mono + the poor fidelity of the record. Now that I know that this puppy's been polished, I say Capitol push it to radio, press it to vinyl (backed with "Wouldn't it Be Nice to Live Again") and hey, they have a million and two seller on their hands for Summer '13.  Cool Guy

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: June 14, 2013, 06:41:07 PM »

My apologies if this has already been stated by anyone, but something else to consider is that...

While this may indeed end up being the last major, all-encompassing, career-spanning archival project the band ever puts out, it most certainly isn't going to be the absolute last revenue-generating product that they release  -- of any sort -- that requires choice and prime, archival material. Thus, my suspicion would be that the powers-that-be still need to keep some A-List (or possibly B+) rarities at hand in their "vault" for such projects. Be it a "deluxe edition" of some sort, or simply the annual/bi-annual hits collection that requires a couple of tasty tracks to snag the diehard flies -- ala Summer Love Songs. In a nutshell, there's always still hope.

In that regard, let's also ponder the fact that the noted vault isn't a bottomless well, and considering how much it's been tapped already over the years, and like it or not, that well is probably starting to run dry in terms of the real good stuff. I'm immediately flashing back to Awesomeman's iconic statement about there probably being a "whole lot more Rollin' Up To Heavens than Soulful Old Man Sunshines" at this point of the game. So, any still unreleased prizes like "Big Sur" and "Carry Me Home" are probably being clutched tightly for when need be in the future. In any event, there's probably some tracks that the band will simply never want out...for whatever reason. Hence the term "previously unreleased."

I also think that the compilers have done a great job of balancing those rarities between the the A-list stuff and, perhaps, the more "eclectic" or slightly lesser stuff for both career-spanning boxes, previous rarities packages and the twofers. This box is a nice mix of legendary/unheard tracks, previously booted songs, live material, new or rare stereo mixes, and vocals-only and backing tracks. They've spread the different types of goodies out nicely, IMHO. And when one is dealing with different band personalities, as well as the financial factor, that can't be an easy task at all.

Just IMHO, of course.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: June 14, 2013, 06:52:45 PM »

I hope that MiC will have its own EPK, just as the '93 box did.

Perhaps one of the hidden tracks will be "Ball and Mitt"  Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: June 14, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »

I would absoluterly LOVE an authentic release of Rollin' Up to Heaven! They sounded like they were having so much fun!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 14, 2013, 06:59:56 PM »

I would absoluterly LOVE an authentic release of Rollin' Up to Heaven! They sounded like they were having so much fun!

It's an analogy, Mahalo. An analogy. Substitute Wrinkles or Smart Girls if you must....lol.  LOL
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 14, 2013, 07:38:03 PM »

Booming post.

Thanks.  Nice to know my massive waste of time on Friday when I should have been working wasn't that much a waste.  :-)

What live stuff they use on this set is rather interesting - whereas on the 1993 set, every live track featured Brian Wilson, now only one does, apart from the 1964 BBC session  (I didn't hear that when it surfaced last year, but maybe he was still in the touring group then), and the 1975 I Can Hear Music if 'Brian Was Back'.

You're right, it's kind of an astonishing setlist for a mini-live-album, where Dennis has more of a visible part than Brian!  And then you realize, that's what it was actually like for most of their live career...

What the reshuffling of rarities and deep cuts on the third disc seems to suggest is that yes, Brian did take a back seat in a way. You have much more Dennis material showing his ascendance as a songwriter in the main flow of the box - Little Bird, sure, and you also have Be With Me & Celebrate The News but he's much more highly represented in the Reprise era than before, like his two big Sunflower hits, Lady/Sound Of Free, It's About Time, and of course WIBNTLA (I'm going to get sick of that acronym). Whereas the focus in 1993 was 'Brian's still there guys, they just didn't put these songs on the albums because Chairman Mo thought they were crazy', now they seem confident in saying 'but look at what Dennis was up to'.

Yeah, that's an interesting point -- when I finish putting up my notes on that bit, I'll be going on about how it seems like they're really selling the sense of the band as a democracy around that time -- but they're also going out of their way to avoid the "Brian checked out" angle, by putting on Brian tracks which emphasize him doing his usual amazing harmony stuff with the boys.  "Games Two Can Play" was basically a solo recording, "I Just Got My Pay" was fairly primitive and simple, compared to "Ol' Man River" and "We're Together Again" and so on...

This is also sorta borne out in the rarities too - the first track is a Dennis tune. Mona Kana is on it (really excited about that, I want to hear it at a million decibels), you have demos from him where you don't have Mike or Al demos - it's mostly dominated by him & Brian, give or take the tunes we know hardly any about - Ponghit for one mentioned that Barnyard Blues was a Dennis/Carl co-write. I imagine if the booklet isn't just witless anecdotes from Mike about Be True To Your School there should be a lot of talk about Dennis in the late 60's & 70's.

Yeah, the vault disc taken on its own is fairly astonishing!  When you consider that they simultaneously seemed to want to go for plenty of Dennis, *and* to represent the whole range of the sixties and seventies, they had a tricky balancing act...  But in its own right, it's a rather more interesting selection than "Hawthorne Blvd"!

IMO, the greatest bungle is that last disc - the live portion is really hodgepodge (although f*** yeah, Friends tracks live!) and I wouldn't be surprised if the studio set was the battleground for any squabbles over the tracklist. I can see them not wanting solely Brian demos on there from that period, which excludes every other Paley Session track, I can see people not wanting SIP tracks on there because it's bloody awful, and there's a lot of stuff you just wouldn't want to remind people of - The Fat Boys?! Status Quo?! - even though they were singles.

I hadn't even thought about "Wipeout" -- I'm surprised Bruce didn't fight to get that onto the set, he seemed pretty proud of it down in Sydney!  But I do think the band is still pretty happy to lock the Landy years in a cupboard -- and it doesn't seem quite so odd in terms of the whole story, now that the theme of the set is more "let's get to last year's happy ending" rather than "let's treat our last big hit six years ago as a fluke"...

TWGMTR seems a more fickle point for contention, possibly along the lines of some people wanting the suite tracks on there and others wanting SV/Beaches In Mind/other drivel from the middle of the record.

Yeah, I wanna know if they were ever considering "Radio" outtakes.  I don't know if they could ever have considered putting the whole suite on there (there just wouldn't be space even with five discs), but surely ending with "Summer's Gone" had to be a strong possibility?  Unless they didn't want to end on such a downer...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 14, 2013, 07:40:27 PM »

The version of Cool Cool Water on the '93 box set which I believe is from the Wild Honey sessions is unavailable elsewhere.

Damn!  That was another one of the "Brian's still really got it" moments for me; I'd love to see that one have a bit more attention drawn to it...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #923 on: June 14, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »

Dave- absolutely brilliant post.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: June 14, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »

Like I said upthread, let's all give up and just let Jon Blum post here. The guy nails it every time. Jon, that is the most coherent analysis of MiC I've read anywhere; thanks. Reasoned, restrained, sensible, and thought-provoking. I await more in that vein.

Thanks.  Good to know my bluminations are still worthwhile -- lately over on That Other Board I've felt like I'm banging my head against some particularly aggressive walls...  :-)

...'course, I don't agree with you entirely about Smiley Smile, but that's just opinions, and that's why we're here!

I've mellowed on "Smiley Smile" over the years, but Lord, was it a shock to my system.  I was expecting something off-kilter but disciplined in the "With Me Tonight" vein... then hit "Little Pad" and "Gettin' Hungry" and wondered how the hell they got this album out the door in between attacks of the munchies!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx