gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:21:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 442163 times)
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: August 03, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »

Congrats, everyone, on one hundred pages.

I just wanted to be on this page
Wait till it's released-there will easily be 348 pages on WIBNTLA alone.

I wonder if there's anyone brave enough that will come out and say they don't like the song.

yeah, you.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 03, 2013, 08:27:44 PM »

I wonder if there's anyone brave enough that will come out and say they don't like the song.

Absolutely. There are a lot of folks who don't care for Denny's work. The consensus here is that it's an "ok" song, very much in line with his contemporary work that has been released, but the vocal makes it stand out. Since that is a pretty subjective rubric, it won't blow everybody away as much as if does a select few.

But I'm a hardcore Dennis fan, and I've never listened to Adam Marsland's version, so I expect to fall in love with it. To each their own.

Have you avoided listening to Adam's version so can you hear the original version with fresh ears? That's the reason I haven't listened to it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 03, 2013, 10:40:13 PM »

Count me in if that is the case! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 04, 2013, 12:39:41 AM »

Count me in if that is the case! Cool
You've heard it, and don't like it?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 04, 2013, 01:44:26 AM »

Absolutely. There are a lot of folks who don't care for Denny's work. The consensus here is that it's an "ok" song, very much in line with his contemporary work that has been released, but the vocal makes it stand out. Since that is a pretty subjective rubric, it won't blow everybody away as much as if does a select few.

But I'm a hardcore Dennis fan, and I've never listened to Adam Marsland's version, so I expect to fall in love with it. To each their own.

I love a lot of Dennis' work, but I'm also one of those who find POB pretty overrated. It's a nice album, but it doesn't do that much for me. Of course if WIBNTLA is anywhere near the quality of 'Little Bird', 'Lady', or 'Forever', then colour me excited.

Apropos, I'd love to hear a version of 'San Miguel' with Dennis on lead vocal.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:54:28 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #2505 on: August 04, 2013, 02:31:20 AM »

Have you avoided listening to Adam's version so can you hear the original version with fresh ears? That's the reason I haven't listened to it.

That's the exact reason I haven't listened to Adam's version. When I hear WIBNTLA on MIC it'll be the first I ever hear the song - and I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2506 on: August 04, 2013, 06:00:15 AM »

That's the exact reason I haven't listened to Adam's version. When I hear WIBNTLA on MIC it'll be the first I ever hear the song - and I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!.

I've tried to find it on YouTube but I guess Adam would rather get paid for his hard work. And yes, I didn't  search it out much beyond that because the experience of discovering new BB music has made the past few years of my life pretty amazing. Since this is likely the last time that will happen (until the live boxset comes out in 2020 *Unsubstantiated!) I want to be as pure as the newly driven snow. Like a 15 year old girl in Milwaukee BEFORE she has her encounter with "The Wood" on a stack of coats in the back of Dennis' bus
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2507 on: August 04, 2013, 06:18:54 AM »

What about this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-blhfc_jM

Is it a cover of the real deal?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2508 on: August 04, 2013, 06:47:19 AM »

I've never understood the dislike for Come Go With Me.  Its being a hit single was certainly a fluke but it rocks and Al sings the hell out of it.

Well, it's a pretty unnecessary cover of an old song by someone else. It sounds pretty nice, but so does the original. I'd have preferred She's Got Rhythm or Won'tcha Come Out Tonight as a single - and on those compilations.

Keep in mind though, that "Come Go With Me" wasn't the single from M.I.U. It was "Peggy Sue" I'm pretty sure.

"Come Go With Me" was actually the single in 1981 for the Ten Years of Harmony set.

Oh, you're absolutely right, I was mistaken.

GOSH!!! Peggy Sue was the single? That's the second worst choice (after Tomboy) they could make! Worse than CGWM! So the best I can say is we're lucky that doesn't pop up on every other compilation...

I've already decided that I don't like it! Before I even heard it! Grin

Darn, I missed page 100! Cry

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2509 on: August 04, 2013, 07:00:27 AM »

I've never understood why people are so hard on M.I.U. Sure, it's not their best album, but it certainly isn't the worst. It's a lot better than what came after it, save for a few songs. I don't think it would kill 'em to toss in a few of the better songs from the album ("Pitter Patter", "My Diane", heck, even "Hey Little Tomboy") on a compilation. The music may not be great, but this is where the group was in 1978 (not counting Adult/Child). Plus, I'd rather see any of the previously mentioned songs on a comp if they were in lieu/addition to the somewhat overused "Come Go With Me". Better (well, more accurate) representation.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
oldsurferdude
« Reply #2510 on: August 04, 2013, 07:20:09 AM »

I'd gladly snatch up an album's worth of material like Pitter Patter, Matchpoint, My Diane, etc. anytime over what came afterwards. But stuff like Bells of Paris, Hey Little Tomboy, and Peggy Sue I don't need to hear ever again thank you very much. Come Go With Me is borderline.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2511 on: August 04, 2013, 07:29:23 AM »

What about this version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt-blhfc_jM

Is it a cover of the real deal?

Yeah it is a cover of the real deal.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #2512 on: August 04, 2013, 07:35:20 AM »

I'd gladly snatch up an album's worth of material like Pitter Patter, Matchpoint, My Diane, etc. anytime over what came afterwards. But stuff like Bells of Paris, Hey Little Tomboy, and Peggy Sue I don't need to hear ever again thank you very much. Come Go With Me is borderline.

Holy sh*t. A post where you actually discuss the music of the Beach Boys instead of rip into Mike. I'm unsure if this is a hacking, a display of personal growth or a delusion, but I almost feel compelled to immortalise this moment in my signature...

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2513 on: August 04, 2013, 08:10:56 AM »

Personally, I like Peggy Sue even if only for the chorus. It is the one thing that they got right in an otherwise slightly plodding song. I do agree with you on the other two. They had a lot better in the can to replace them with on the album. I do have to say that after hearing what was in the vault at certain times, I could never figure out why they chose the songs on some of those later albums.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2514 on: August 04, 2013, 08:16:33 AM »

1st time I heard WIBNTLA was via the FatherOfTheMan's cover. It was very well arranged & sung, albeit a bit too sad to my taste. But anyway, it's good, esp. considering the age of the poster (16).

So now, the YT version is the 2nd for me. As a fan of Evie Sands, I'll say she did great job in singing this Dennis tune. Very soulful, yet not going too depressive. The melody itself seems unusual to me, sounds like it's both in major & minor keys.
All in all, thanks to SonicVolcano! I tried but couldn't find the song on YT myself.

2Micha: don't be sad about missing the 100th page. We're on the 101st page! It's better than boring jubilee date, coz it refers to "101 Dalmatians" cartoon! Isn't it cool? Btw, if someone will miss this page too, then there's "102 Dalmatians" for you! (Not sure if "103 ..." exists.)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #2515 on: August 04, 2013, 08:16:48 AM »

Holy sh*t. A post where you actually discuss the music of the Beach Boys instead of rip into Mike. I'm unsure if this is a hacking, a display of personal growth or a delusion, but I almost feel compelled to immortalise this moment in my signature...
I've been told that anyone who walks on water is hands off for criticism. Wink
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:45:33 AM by oldsurferdude » Logged
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2516 on: August 04, 2013, 08:39:22 AM »

Samples. Want. Them. Now

Razz
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2517 on: August 04, 2013, 09:50:01 AM »

I've been told that anyone who walks on water is hands off for criticism. Wink

Come now, even Cam would admit he don't walk on water! No dialogue, context, revisionism or understanding can forgive "Good Vibrations. Assassinations" LOL . It's just refreshing to see you just focused on the music. Behind that big old grumpy facade there's a Beach Boys fan in there and it's a surreal thing to be exposed to after all these years Grin

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Jason
« Reply #2518 on: August 04, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »

You know that Michael never wrote the lyrics to that song, right?
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2519 on: August 04, 2013, 10:41:49 AM »

In that case, he can walk on water.  Grin

"A/S/L"?
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: August 04, 2013, 12:37:46 PM »

Has anyone else noticed how Liam Gallagher and Mike are starting to sound more and more alike. ;p

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: August 04, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »

Has anyone else noticed how Liam Gallagher and Mike are starting to sound more and more alike. ;p

Explain

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: August 04, 2013, 01:32:00 PM »

If the female cover version on youtube is anything to go on, I can't see it dislodging River Song, Celebrate The News, Baby Blue, Morning Christmas or Farewell My Friend from my top 5 Dennis tunes. Still as the original is no doubt less willowy, female singer/songwriter crap I remain cautiously optimistic....

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: August 04, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »

Explain

I was just listening to some sound clips of off Beady Eye's new album, and the similarity in nasalness is uncanny. :D

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: August 05, 2013, 01:46:41 AM »

Explain

I was just listening to some sound clips of off Beady Eye's new album, and the similarity in nasalness is uncanny. :D

Oh My...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 100 [101] 102 103 104 105 106 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx