gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 10:36:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 442279 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 07:00:03 AM »

Hold on. That California Feelin' won't be the Brian version will it?

From the looks of it, the demo version on disc 6 will be the one you're after.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 07:01:44 AM »

After quickly checking what is what, it's good to see that most of the songs are in stereo (not a big fan of mono & stereo is still the best treat on The BBs' old catalog).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 07:02:43 AM »

My initial reaction was sheer excitement, and I still am excited, but what about the odds and ends tracks like Chasin' the Sky and rock n' roll to the rescue? This seems to have been the place to collect all of those. In other words, I was really hoping that this would be the Beach Boys' Past Masters. I'm still really excited, but a little disappointed too.

Those tracks aren't very good, though. This looks to have been chosen to present the best possible listening experience, and they seem to have done an incredible job.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 07:04:14 AM »

After quickly checking what is what, it's good to see that most of the songs are in stereo (not a big fan of mono & stereo is still the best treat on The BBs' old catalog).

Are you out of your mind?

The overabundance of lackluster stereo remixes is nothing short of blasphemy.

Nicko1234
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 07:04:38 AM »

Disc 6 for this looks excellent. I doubt anyone would disagree with that...

I am actually a little bit surprised that the other discs don't have more genuinely unreleased songs and at some of the songs that have been included/omitted. There are so many 1970s songs that could have been included like Big Sur (early version), Out in the Country, 15 BO outtakes, That Special Feeling, Adult Child stuff etc. and it's kind of a shame that they were omitted while rather nondescript things like Don't Go Near the Water and Good Time were included.

Also, Brian's Back? If they were going to include a First Love song then why not a genuinely unreleased one?

Quite an irony though that people were hating on Mike so much for vetoing Dennis' songs from the set when, in fact, Dennis is better represented than he ever has been on a Beach Boys release.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 07:05:00 AM »

Everyone's idea of a "perfect tracklisting" would be at least slightly different, and then you have to weigh all the considerations about what goes in to the final list - which band member (or family member of said band member) does/doesn't want a certain song, the compilers' own choices, what will flow well and what won't.....

(edit: forgot about Big Sur 4/4 as mentioned above. Darn.....)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:05:51 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 07:05:35 AM »

I'm disappointed in lack of "Adult Child" tracks and "My Solution".

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 07:05:58 AM »

The only track I really wanted was the instrumental of In The Back Of My Mind - surprised it wasn't included - even Bruce said it's one of the most beautiful instrumental tracks.

Surf's Up 1967 - 2012 mix?!? Our Sweet Love vocals and strings. I cannot wait until August 27.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:10:02 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2013, 07:12:54 AM »

I was rrrrreally hoping the box would come packaged in a striped shirt… grumble grumble grumble…

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2013, 07:14:18 AM »

The Don is a happy man. A very, very happy man.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »

The overabundance of lackluster stereo remixes is nothing short of blasphemy.
There are actually many people on this board who'll disagree with you. I even remembered their names.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2013, 07:19:40 AM »

Just per-ordered.

Feels great  Grin Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2013, 07:20:03 AM »

As Lady Lynda is omitted again I wonder if Capitol will include a 7th disc in the U.K. with half a dozen tracks on as they did for the GV Box Set...
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2013, 07:22:28 AM »

I'm cartwheeling around my backyard. I'm so happy we're getting Da Doo Ron Ron while Stevie's staying unreleased.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2013, 07:23:40 AM »

As Lady Lynda is omitted again I wonder if Capitol will include a 7th disc in the U.K. with half a dozen tracks on as they did for the GV Box Set...

I have every confidence that the set will have its official launch in the UK featuring a live gig by the five remaining members at the Royal O2 Albert Hall Arena and that UK-pressings will include a bonus box set featuring all Mike's solo albums, plus Al's Lady Liberty remake.

“We live in divisive times.”
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2013, 07:24:34 AM »

I DUN GOOFED
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 09:05:38 PM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Nicko1234
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2013, 07:26:33 AM »

Let me cancel out my negativity by stating I'm very pleased that Baby Blue was chosen to represent the late '70s. It was perhaps the cringe-worthy omission of the GV Box Set for me.

Huh
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2013, 07:26:40 AM »

I'm cartwheeling around my backyard. I'm so happy we're getting Da Doo Ron Ron while Stevie's staying unreleased.

Let me cancel out my negativity by stating I'm very pleased that Baby Blue was chosen to represent the late '70s. It was perhaps the cringe-worthy omission of the GV Box Set for me.

Baby Blue was *on* the GV box...

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2013, 07:27:12 AM »

It's a good question for which no one knows the answer (by now). Though I myself am OK with Platinum Collection's quality of Lady Lynda. It is crystal, therefore, excellent.

Nicko1234
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2013, 07:28:45 AM »

It's a good question for which no one knows the answer (by now). Though I myself am OK with Platinum Collection's quality of Lady Lynda. It is crystal, therefore, excellent.

I wasn't being entirely serious although they did do it once...
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 07:32:42 AM »

As has been already said, nearly everyone will find an omission or three that will bug them, myself included, but overall I am quite pleased.  Since my birthday falls the day before the release date in the US, the set will make a perfect birthday present to myself.  Happy Birthday to me!   Beer
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2013, 07:34:12 AM »

Was kind of counting on My Diane being included.

I wonder what has happened to Stevie and Carry Me Home.

Looks great overall though.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Nicko1234
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 07:40:40 AM »

Looking closer at the track listing for those first 5 discs (Disc 6 is superb as I said) there are some puzzlers there for me...

Did the group not play any gigs between 1975 and 1993? That is quite a jump on disc 5 and won't exactly be seamless.

There are so many Dennis songs on the set (rightly) but no place for the 45 mix of Cuddle Up?

Only 1 unreleased song on the first two discs... Even an outtake from the Party would have been better than nothing

The period after KTSA being dealt with in 7 songs. Do Where I Belong and Somewhere Near Japan really not merit inclusion? And I think another poster said that a backing vocals only version of a Stars and Stripes song was being considered...
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 07:42:50 AM »

Yes, a lot is missing but what can you do? Can't fit everything.  On the other hand, there's also lots of "useless" stuff too.
I'm actually surprised about the amount of unreleased tracks there is!

Really looking forward to:

CD 1
----
15.   Back Home

CD 2
----
27.   Country Air (2012 Stereo Mix)

CD 3
----
1.    Darlin' (2012 Stereo Mix)

CD 4
----
4.    (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again
25.   Goin' To The Beach

CD 5
----
7.     Soul Searchin'
8.     You're Still A Mystery
 THE BEACH BOYS LIVE:
-------------------------------------------------------------
11.    Runaway (Chicago 1965 -- w/Concert Promo Intro - Mono)
14.    Friends (Chicago 1968 - Mono)
15.    Little Bird (Chicago 1968 - Mono)
24.    Sail On Sailor (Louisville 1995)

CD 6
----
FROM THE VAULTS:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
9.     Where Is She?
13.    Be With Me (Demo)
14.    I Believe In Miracles (Vocal Section)
15.    Why (Instrumental Track)
16.    Barnyard Blues
22.    California Feelin' (Original Demo)
26.    My Love Lives On
27.    Radio Spot (1964 - Mono)
31.    Carl Wilson: Coda (2013 Edit)  

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:44:17 AM by STE » Logged
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »

As there were three very different personalities in the band making the track list decisions, it is no surprise that some things were left off.  Considering those differences, I think this list is as good as we could've hoped for.  The packaging looks great, and the contents sound fine...I'm saving my pennies and saving my dimes. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 07:49:52 AM by LostArt » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx