gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 05:46:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 442187 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: August 01, 2013, 10:49:40 PM »

And don't get the bong water dirty.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: August 01, 2013, 11:31:40 PM »

I saved that post. Because it's the first time in months I've literally laughed out loud!

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: August 02, 2013, 01:59:52 AM »

runnersdialzero is just "thrusting" us toward page 100. Using what substance, I'm not sure.   Smokin

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: August 02, 2013, 03:06:42 AM »

Here's my take on how each early studio album is represented in the new boxed set.

Surfin' Safari - No argument here. The album's three essential tracks are all represented on the boxed set.

Compiler's Grade: A

Surfin' U.S.A. - Along with the title track and "Shut Down", "The Lonely Sea" was the only other true essential. Still, "The Farmer's Daughter" would have made for a solid pick as well.

Compiler's Grade: A-

Surfer Girl - They went all out here, giving us half of their best early LP in its entirety. Still, the propulsive "Hawaii" is sorely missing and it looks like it lost out to the forgettable "Surfer's Rule" only because the latter had a spare bit of session material lying around. "Hawaii" also would have broke up the monotony of having so many similar surf songs.

Compiler's Grade: B

Little Deuce Coupe - We're wisely given the single mix of "Be True To Your School" - the only truly essential new track from this LP. "Ballad of Ole Betsy" wreaks of those moments when a band rediscovers an old album track and then elevates its status for no good reason. Let's be honest, pre-reunion tour, nobody in the band or putting together this boxed set would have suggested that track. "Spirit of America" is a better mid-tempo track while "Custom Machine" with its catchiness definitely would have been my choice for the box.

Compiler's Grade: C

Shut Down Volume 2 - "Keep An Eye On Summer" could have snuck its way in there. Otherwise, this is a fine overview, collecting five well known tracks.

All Summer Long - It's all here. Five classic tracks on the first disc (seems to be a self-imposed maximum for any LP's representation in the box) and "Hushabye" is presented in a BBC session version on the final disc (which is representative enough given that it's a song that relies mostly on the vocals).

Christmas Album  - The hit single. Duh. I'm glad they included it in the first place since it really is essential.

Today! - We're given a whopping six tracks from the album, so while practically everything else on it is of a high quality and would deserve attention on a set like this, you can't fault the compiler's for not including more since they did pick the best half dozen.

Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) - They really dropped the ball here. Not having "Girl Don't Tell Me" is pretty unforgivable. It's an absolute classic and is so different from everything else in the early years that it would fit on the box very nicely. "You're So Good To Me" is also clearly a classic, but is at least represented in a live version on the final disc. The band's cover of "Then He Kissed Me" is very well regarded and immaculately produced. Probably should also be here. Instead, we're given an alternate take of "Amusement Parks U.S.A."...fair enough if it's interesting, but I'm of the opinion that sub-par tracks should be relegated to the vault disc and that the historical overview (Discs 1 - 5) should only include the best stuff with a few rarities tossed in. Anyway, this classic album is clearly given short shrift in comparison to its predecessor by having only four of its classics on the main program.

Compiler's Grade: C

Party! - I guess "Then I Kissed Her" from the previous LP might have been omitted in favor of another Phil Spector hallmark, "There's No Other (Like My Baby)"...if so, a really poor trade-off although the Beach Boys do an admirable enough job with this stripped down cover. Still, "Barbara Ann" is the only track that really needed to be here.

Overall grade for 1962-1965 representation: B+. Those putting together this boxed set have done a great job at displaying this group's early genius over the first disc-and-a-third. Perhaps another third of a disc would have given them enough room to tell the entire story.

My Top Ten Tracks From This Era That Are Missing:

Custom Machine
Don't Hurt My Little Sister
Girl Don't Tell Me
Good To My Baby
Hawaii
Keep An Eye On Summer
She Knows Me Too Well
The Surfer Moon
Then I Kissed Her
You're So Good To Me (studio)

Songs Missing From The Top 100 Poll I Conducted Here Last Year:

#92 - Good To My Baby
#84 - Girl Don't Tell Me
#82 - You're So Good To Me (on boxed set in live version)
#67 - Hushabye (on boxed set in BBC version)
#49 - She Knows Me Too Well

Basically, they were three tracks away from nabbing everything Top 100-worthy from this era according to us.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 03:10:32 AM by KokoNO » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #2454 on: August 02, 2013, 03:44:34 AM »

An interesting post to read.

Hawaii and Then I Kissed Her are the most surprising omissions for me.

Then I Kissed Her in particular as it was a big hit. Sometimes the compilers seem to forget about songs that Al has sung though. 50 Big Ones omitted Come Go With Me for unknown reasons and now this.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2455 on: August 02, 2013, 04:15:36 AM »

Custom Machine
Girl Don't Tell Me
Good To My Baby
Hawaii
Keep An Eye On Summer
She Knows Me Too Well
The Surfer Moon
Then I Kissed Her

Agree with you 80%. Hawaii should have been represented by a real 1964 live version, because to me personally the studio version is one of the most failed productions amongst the surf songs. Too slow, and the snare somewhat unruly. The live versions I heard all rock.

The Surfer Moon has strings but too few Beach Boys sing on it for my taste - like, one?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: August 02, 2013, 08:14:35 AM »

I'd ban myself, to avoid any misunderstandings.

Don't do it, John!

It seems to me that a number of people think the SSMB exists as their personal sounding board to start their comedic careers. They spend 90% of their time trying to come up with something clever, even if it contributes nothing (IMO) to the worth of the board.  Some folks (like you) are always making actual statements about the BB, rather than trying to show how funny they are... and often you DO add some humor, but it's not the sole purpose of your post.

I keep coughing really loudly and exaggeratedly but for some reason the coughs keep making a sound that goes ontor pertawst.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2457 on: August 02, 2013, 10:00:54 AM »

I keep coughing really loudly and exaggeratedly but for some reason the coughs keep making a sound that goes ontor pertawst.

A joke bound to help jumpstart your comedy career!

Every time I respond to a post in future, I'll try and think of your avatar and make sure I don't say anything remotely funny and treat Brian vs. Mike battles for the 3975943th time with the solemnity deserved. Knowing that you don't think I contribute to the worth of the board will really help me focus.

Then I'll read your sig and get really confused as to what I should do.

Please, be NORMAL. This is a Beach Boys forum for God's sake. Remember that brand of humor must be approved by the authority figures. Be part of the herd or be banned! Now, let's get SERIOUS, boyz.

Maybe this listening to you thing isn't going to work out for me... Seeing as I really enjoy this board, the folks I've bantered with here, the stuff I've learned, the shows I've gone to as a result of it, and the people in BBworld who have given me a thumbs up for my silliness. Thanks for trying to make me feel lousy, tho. I don't recall ever arguing with you or responding to your posts, but it's super appreciated on a Friday morning out of nowhere. Good luck with that stuff!

Wait... there's no THEN I KISSED HER? Definitely would've swapped that Spectory Party! track for it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 10:36:04 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: August 02, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »

Here's my take on how each early studio album is represented in the new boxed set.

I really loved this post.
You should continue with their later albums.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: August 02, 2013, 11:48:35 AM »

Yeah for real. Very nice post KokoNO.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: August 02, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »

Yeah for real. Very nice post KokoNO.

Seconded!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: August 02, 2013, 12:47:31 PM »

youre such a copycat, lol.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: August 02, 2013, 04:00:53 PM »

Custom Machine
Girl Don't Tell Me
Good To My Baby
Hawaii
Keep An Eye On Summer
She Knows Me Too Well
The Surfer Moon
Then I Kissed Her

Songs Missing From The Top 100 Poll I Conducted Here Last Year:

#92 - Good To My Baby
#84 - Girl Don't Tell Me
#82 - You're So Good To Me (on boxed set in live version)
#67 - Hushabye (on boxed set in BBC version)
#49 - She Knows Me Too Well

Basically, they were three tracks away from nabbing everything Top 100-worthy from this era according to us.

Would have been great to have No Go Showboat on there.  An amazing track that is too often ignored.

Don't Hurt My Little Sister on the other hand ... ugh.  I've never understood what that was doing on Today.  It's one of the few early BW tracks with no magic at all ... it just sits there.
KokoNO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: August 02, 2013, 05:54:22 PM »

By popular demand, the LPs from 1966-1969.

Pet Sounds - Where to begin?

First off, I personally feel that the quality of both Pet Sounds and Smile is so consistently great and the songs of such a high caliber that any decent career overview would simply include both in their entirety. Pet Sounds had nearly all of its tracks finish in the Top 50 in that poll I conducted last year. That means that the 8 songs that are MIA from this set are considered stronger than 3/4 of the stuff in this box. If bands like Love and The Zombies are going to have about 80% of their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame case rest on a single album, than surely The Beach Boys' two superior masterpieces shouldn't be given short shrift.

Here's what my ideal boxed set would have been. Keep in mind that I felt there should have been two boxes, one chock full of rarities to sit alongside Endless Harmony and Hawthorne, CA...it would include everything in this set, perhaps a full disc of live tracks, even more studio rarities - and most importantly of all - all of the rare stuff from the now out of print Good Vibrations boxed set. Hell, given the low volume of sales for Endless/Hawthorne, perhaps it should have gone one further and included everything from those sets that wasn't a brand new mix. Then, any fan could just purchase one collection of rare cuts to sit alongside the rest of the band's albums on their shelf.

My other boxed set which would have been a career overview aimed at the casual audience:

Disc 1/2 - Early years
Disc 3 - Pet Sounds mono/stereo remaster
Disc 4 - Smile (with the most interesting sessions outtakes attached to the end of the disc and some Smiley Smile alternates and new songs)
Disc 5 - Wild Honey through Surf's Up
Disc 6 - So Tough through That's Why God Made The Radio

There would have been more than enough room under this scenario to give practically all their great material a slot.

Anyway, as far as the Pet Sounds selections go, they had no choice but to grab the first four singles, so that's not even debatable. The quality and historical importance of those songs can't be ignored. "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" is considered the best non-single track from that album around here and elsewhere. I can't help but feel that its inclusion in both recent setlists and on an unforgettable episode of Mad Men (played on a reel-to-reel, no less!) have given the band/compiler's a bit of a bias towards this track. The other box included "You Still Believe In Me" as well and that track was also on a hits set, so it's not like there aren't other album tracks that warrant inclusion.

Overall, it's an A for the choices they made with a self-imposed maximum (can't really go wrong with those five) and a C for limiting the amount in the first place. Pet Sounds deserves about seven selections at the very least, especially if an album like Today! is going to have six.

Smile - Cutting Smile up into pieces already seems sacrilegious...or perhaps we have all just become too spoiled by finally having a pristine sounding, properly sequenced version of the album. To me, it's like someone saying "well, I have a big story to tell about youth and God and the Industrial Revolution and the American Indian genocide, but I'm only going to focus on a few parts of it so you won't get the entire picture"...

To me, the album's key moments are "Heroes and Villains", "Cabin Essence", "Surf's Up" and "Good Vibrations"....we get the first and last one in their standard mixes rather than the cuts from The Smile Sessions and "Surf's Up" is presented on the next disc in its arguably superior mix from the LP of the same name (with the "Child Is The Father Of The Man" tag). "Cabin Essence" is here...so one can't really complain about any of those. "Heroes" is also presented in the two-part working condition form while there's an enticing Smile-era version of "Surf's Up" on the bonus disc. So, really, it's all here, both in finished and unfinished condition.

Going further, the next three most interesting/memorable songs to these ears are "Vega-Tables", "Wind Chimes" and "Wonderful"...two of those are presented in their Smile mixes, but the latter, unfortunately is the Smiley Smile one. I know some people like that weirder one, but for me, the original was too important (and damn beautiful) to omit altogether. "Our Prayer" is also rightfully here (as it would seem weird to introduce these selections without it, plus it's one of the best bits of harmonizing they ever did) and so is the Grammy winning "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow"...probably here only because it won a Grammy for Brian and therefore is notable.

Minor nitpicks aside, Smile is pretty well represented on the set...."Look" is arguably the only missing full-fledged song whereas everything else kind of works as a connector on that Smile reconstruction.

Compiler's Grade: B+

Smiley Smile - The weirder mix of "Wonderful" is the only specific item we get here since "Heroes and Villains" was pretty much a given. That's a shame. "Fall Breaks Back To Winter", "With Me Tonight" and "Gettin' Hungry" are all very interesting tracks that showcase the band's weirder side and would have also presented a nice juxtaposition to the well produced tracks from The Smile Sessions. As far as this box set is concerned, Smiley Smile doesn't even really exist.

Compiler's Grade: D

Wild Honey - Most of us can agree that the singles are the album's highlights and that the album's other tracks are relatively in the same pool of quality as one another. So it's kind of a crap shoot. "Country Air" and "Let The Wind Blow" are both phenomenal, but I'm personally missing "Here Comes The Night" and "Aren't You Glad" even more. This record often places highly on "Best Beach Boys Albums" lists and polls, so perhaps including more selections would have been the answer. Otherwise, I can't help but feel a bit shortchanged.

Compiler's Grade: C+

Friends - Four excellent tracks including all three that people have bothered making a Wiki page for. "Wake The World" is the one I'm personally missing the most. It should also be noted that these four songs are presented in sequence just like on the box set from twenty years ago. Makes you wonder if the compilers/band simply gave the thumbs up to running the same routine again. At least "Meant For You" is now an alternate version.

20/20 - Since two of the album's best tracks, the Smile cuts, are already on the box. We're only working with ten songs. Then when you strip away "All I Want To Do" and "Nearest Faraway Place" and "Never Learn Not To Love" - none of which scream essential, you're down to seven. "Cotton Fields" is wisely presented in the superior single mix, so that leaves us with only "Bluebirds Over The Mountain" as the one great track from the album that's absent. It being a cover probably led to it getting the shaft, especially since two of the other singles on this album were covers as well. It's kind of the "Then I Kissed Her" of this era - a notable hit cover song that's dropped probably because it wasn't an original. While I agree that the time is better spent focused on the original material this group made rather than who they covered (*cough*ComeGoWithMe&RocknRollMusic*cough*), it's still kind of an important song. Kind of.

It should also be worth noting that there's a healthy amount of non-album material from this period presented throughout this third disc, so the tail end of the sixties is given a pretty thorough overview.

Overall Compiler's Grade For This Era: B. Ignoring the truncated views of Pet Sounds and Smile that are presented, they did a pretty fair job at collecting the best of the era. Again, it's a problem of not having enough room.

My Top Ten Tracks Missing From This Era:

The 8 from Pet Sounds
Here Comes The Night
Wake The World

Missing Tracks From This Era From That Top 100 Poll:

Bold = Not from Pet Sounds or Smile

You Still Believe In Me (#20)
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) (#32)
I'm Waiting For The Day (#35)
I Know There's An Answer (#36)
Here Today (#39)
That's Not Me (#40)
Let's Go Away For Awhile (#48)
Child Is Father Of The Man (#51)
Pet Sounds (#54)
Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock) (#74)
I Love To Say Da-Da (#77)
Wake The World (#87)
Look (Song For Children) (#94)
Here Comes The Night (#99)

Pretty interesting that only two songs from this era made our top 100 list and are not on the box set. If anything, it further illustrates how important is was to include Pet Sounds and Smile in their entirety or close to that.

Also, non-album classic "Can't Wait Too Long" clocked in at #59...it's on the rarities disc in an A Capella mix.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:06:50 PM by KokoNO » Logged
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: August 02, 2013, 07:24:37 PM »

Great stuff, KokoNO. Thanks for putting in the work on the statistics and the summaries. I love stuff like this, plus now I've got the strongest urge to listen to "With Me Tonight". That's a hidden gem with beautiful vocals that would have been a great pick for a deep cut from Smiley Smile.
Nicko1234
« Reply #2465 on: August 02, 2013, 08:05:13 PM »

By popular demand, the LPs from 1966-1969.

Pet Sounds - Where to begin?

First off, I personally feel that the quality of both Pet Sounds and Smile is so consistently great and the songs of such a high caliber that any decent career overview would simply include both in their entirety. Pet Sounds had nearly all of its tracks finish in the Top 50 in that poll I conducted last year. That means that the 8 songs that are MIA from this set are considered stronger than 3/4 of the stuff in this box. If bands like Love and The Zombies are going to have about 80% of their Rock and Roll Hall of Fame case rest on a single album, than surely The Beach Boys' two superior masterpieces shouldn't be given short shrift.

Here's what my ideal boxed set would have been. Keep in mind that I felt there should have been two boxes, one chock full of rarities to sit alongside Endless Harmony and Hawthorne, CA...it would include everything in this set, perhaps a full disc of live tracks, even more studio rarities - and most importantly of all - all of the rare stuff from the now out of print Good Vibrations boxed set. Hell, given the low volume of sales for Endless/Hawthorne, perhaps it should have gone one further and included everything from those sets that wasn't a brand new mix. Then, any fan could just purchase one collection of rare cuts to sit alongside the rest of the band's albums on their shelf.

My other boxed set which would have been a career overview aimed at the casual audience:

Disc 1/2 - Early years
Disc 3 - Pet Sounds mono/stereo remaster
Disc 4 - Smile (with the most interesting sessions outtakes attached to the end of the disc and some Smiley Smile alternates and new songs)
Disc 5 - Wild Honey through Surf's Up
Disc 6 - So Tough through That's Why God Made The Radio

There would have been more than enough room under this scenario to give practically all their great material a slot.

Anyway, as far as the Pet Sounds selections go, they had no choice but to grab the first four singles, so that's not even debatable. The quality and historical importance of those songs can't be ignored. "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" is considered the best non-single track from that album around here and elsewhere. I can't help but feel that its inclusion in both recent setlists and on an unforgettable episode of Mad Men (played on a reel-to-reel, no less!) have given the band/compiler's a bit of a bias towards this track. The other box included "You Still Believe In Me" as well and that track was also on a hits set, so it's not like there aren't other album tracks that warrant inclusion.

Overall, it's an A for the choices they made with a self-imposed maximum (can't really go wrong with those five) and a C for limiting the amount in the first place. Pet Sounds deserves about seven selections at the very least, especially if an album like Today! is going to have six.

Smile - Cutting Smile up into pieces already seems sacrilegious...or perhaps we have all just become too spoiled by finally having a pristine sounding, properly sequenced version of the album. To me, it's like someone saying "well, I have a big story to tell about youth and God and the Industrial Revolution and the American Indian genocide, but I'm only going to focus on a few parts of it so you won't get the entire picture"...

To me, the album's key moments are "Heroes and Villains", "Cabin Essence", "Surf's Up" and "Good Vibrations"....we get the first and last one in their standard mixes rather than the cuts from The Smile Sessions and "Surf's Up" is presented on the next disc in its arguably superior mix from the LP of the same name (with the "Child Is The Father Of The Man" tag). "Cabin Essence" is here...so one can't really complain about any of those. "Heroes" is also presented in the two-part working condition form while there's an enticing Smile-era version of "Surf's Up" on the bonus disc. So, really, it's all here, both in finished and unfinished condition.

Going further, the next three most interesting/memorable songs to these ears are "Vega-Tables", "Wind Chimes" and "Wonderful"...two of those are presented in their Smile mixes, but the latter, unfortunately is the Smiley Smile one. I know some people like that weirder one, but for me, the original was too important (and damn beautiful) to omit altogether. "Our Prayer" is also rightfully here (as it would seem weird to introduce these selections without it, plus it's one of the best bits of harmonizing they ever did) and so is the Grammy winning "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow"...probably here only because it won a Grammy for Brian and therefore is notable.

Minor nitpicks aside, Smile is pretty well represented on the set...."Look" is arguably the only missing full-fledged song whereas everything else kind of works as a connector on that Smile reconstruction.

Smiley Smile - The weirder mix of "Wonderful" is the only specific item we get here since "Heroes and Villains" was pretty much a given. That's a shame. "Fall Breaks Back To Winter", "With Me Tonight" and "Gettin' Hungry" are all very interesting tracks that showcase the band's weirder side and would have also presented a nice juxtaposition to the well produced tracks from The Smile Sessions. As far as this box set is concerned, Smiley Smile doesn't even really exist.

Compiler's Grade: D

Wild Honey - Most of us can agree that the singles are the album's highlights and that the album's other tracks are relatively in the same pool of quality as one another. So it's kind of a crap shoot. "Country Air" and "Let The Wind Blow" are both phenomenal, but I'm personally missing "Here Comes The Night" and "Aren't You Glad" even more. This record often places highly on "Best Beach Boys Albums" lists and polls, so perhaps including more selections would have been the answer. Otherwise, I can't help but feel a bit shortchanged.

Compiler's Grade: C+

Friends - Four excellent tracks including all three that people have bothered making a Wiki page for. "Wake The World" is the one I'm personally missing the most. It should also be noted that these four songs are presented in sequence just like on the box set from twenty years ago. Makes you wonder if the compilers/band simply gave the thumbs up to running the same routine again. At least "Meant For You" is now an alternate version.

20/20 - Since two of the album's best tracks, the Smile cuts, are already on the box. We're only working with ten songs. Then when you strip away "All I Want To Do" and "Nearest Faraway Place" and "Never Learn Not To Love" - none of which scream essential, you're down to seven. "Cotton Fields" is wisely presented in the superior single mix, so that leaves us with only "Bluebirds Over The Mountain" as the one great track from the album that's absent. It being a cover probably led to it getting the shaft, especially since two of the other singles on this album were covers as well. It's kind of the "Then I Kissed Her" of this era - a notable hit cover song that's dropped probably because it wasn't an original. While I agree that the time is better spent focused on the original material this group made rather than who they covered (*cough*ComeGoWithMe&RocknRollMusic*cough*), it's still kind of an important song. Kind of.

It should also be worth noting that there's a healthy amount of non-album material from this period presented throughout this third disc, so the tail end of the sixties is given a pretty thorough overview.

Overall Compiler's Grade For This Era: B. Ignoring the truncated views of Pet Sounds and Smile that are presented, they did a pretty fair job at collecting the best of the era. Again, it's a problem of not having enough room.

My Top Ten Tracks Missing From This Era:

The 8 from Pet Sounds
Here Comes The Night
Wake The World

Missing Tracks From This Era From That Top 100 Poll:

Bold = Not from Pet Sounds or Smile

You Still Believe In Me (#20)
Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder) (#32)
I'm Waiting For The Day (#35)
I Know There's An Answer (#36)
Here Today (#39)
That's Not Me (#40)
Let's Go Away For Awhile (#48)
Child Is Father Of The Man (#51)
Pet Sounds (#54)
Do You Like Worms (Roll Plymouth Rock) (#74)
I Love To Say Da-Da (#77)
Wake The World (#87)
Look (Song For Children) (#94)
Here Comes The Night (#99)

Pretty interesting that only two songs from this era made our top 100 list and are not on the box set. If anything, it further illustrates how important is was to include Pet Sounds and Smile in their entirety or close to that.

Also, non-album classic "Can't Wait Too Long" clocked in at #59...it's on the rarities disc in an A Capella mix.

Another very interesting post.

I remember when the 1993 box set was released Paul Williams said in his review that there were either too many Pet Sounds songs or too few. I think this set gets it right. Even many casual fans will already own the album so I can`t see the sense in including more songs.

Smile if anything has too many songs imo (especially if you include the backing vocals montage). I don`t really agree that cutting Smile up is sacrilegious. Firstly because it was never completed and so can`t be cut up. And secondly because lyrically many of the songs aren`t connected imo.

I agree that Bluebirds Over the Mountain could have been included. Especially as the rare alternate mix could have been used. It was a hit and Mike and Bruce still perform it to this day.

If they had released a box set just for the casual audience then that could have been great but 6 discs would have been too many. To have the first 2 discs from the pre-Pet Sounds era they woud have needed to include 6-8 songs from every album which wouldn`t have worked. A four disc set for $30 or so could have been cracking though for the casuals.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: August 02, 2013, 08:06:12 PM »

Still $144 on Amazon  Angry

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: August 02, 2013, 08:32:33 PM »

I've never understood the dislike for Come Go With Me.  Its being a hit single was certainly a fluke but it rocks and Al sings the hell out of it.

SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: August 03, 2013, 02:13:57 AM »

Great posts, KokoNO!

Don't forget we'll get a proper stereo mix of Do It Again now and an awesome live rendition of All I Want To Do (also a new mix).
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: August 03, 2013, 02:41:33 AM »

I wonder if there are any professionally recorded concerts from 1997 that exist in the vault somewhere? I know it is a sensitive subject(for Brian, especially), but I would really like to hear a version of God Only Knows from Carl's last tour in excellent sound quality.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: August 03, 2013, 06:32:28 AM »

Embarrassed Here Comes The Night #99?  Cry

well at least it made the list...i dig the hell out of the chorus

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2471 on: August 03, 2013, 09:53:22 AM »

I've never understood the dislike for Come Go With Me.  Its being a hit single was certainly a fluke but it rocks and Al sings the hell out of it.

Well, it's a pretty unnecessary cover of an old song by someone else. It sounds pretty nice, but so does the original. I'd have preferred She's Got Rhythm or Won'tcha Come Out Tonight as a single - and on those compilations.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: August 03, 2013, 10:00:39 AM »

Great overview Kokono, even if your views on 20/20 are like night and day to mine. Grin

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: August 03, 2013, 10:09:31 AM »

last time i attempted to make this thread, the real beach boy opened the thread, grew an angry face and said "WHOT???" and then promptly moved it to the sandbox where it died a miserable, miserable death (RIP rip in peace big brown bag thread).

Thoughts?

Wow.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:12:35 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: August 03, 2013, 10:10:15 AM »

So you can pre-order MIC from importcds.com finally:

http://www.importcds.com/music/2617315/the-beach-boys-made-in-california - $99.69.

I guess it's still the cheapest. I wish Amazon.co.uk would lover their price again though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:16:31 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx