gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:51:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 442276 times)
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 11, 2013, 11:02:43 AM »

"Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" is a big draw, but "Wouldn't It Be Nice If This Tracklisting Didn't Suck"?

Genuine question, Mr Forces, honestly... what are you missing that's not on here?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 11, 2013, 11:04:50 AM »

Jesus... some of you people... exactly WHAT would it take to entirely satisfy you ?  Wouldn't surprise me at all if Capitol read this and thought, f*** the ungrateful bastards, we'll pull the set.

Looks like the town curmudgeon woke up to demand we all bow down and kiss Capitol's ass for their $130 glorified greatest hits box.  I, for one, LOVE "deep cuts" boxes with only like 4-5 rarities on them.  Yes!  I'm so appreciative that I wasted money on the 2CD 50 Big Ones and 2CD/vinyl Smile for those exclusives to be included here as part of the "60 unreleased tracks" which is mainly made up of live tracks and backing tracks.  "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" is a big draw, but "Wouldn't It Be Nice If This Tracklisting Didn't Suck"?  
Nobody put a gun to your head to buy anything.  Go trade with beachboys_fr for 10 seconds of WIBNTLA.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 11, 2013, 11:07:46 AM »

Looks like the town curmudgeon woke up to demand we all bow down and kiss Capitol's ass for their $130 glorified greatest hits box.  I, for one, LOVE "deep cuts" boxes with only like 4-5 rarities on them.  Yes!  I'm so appreciative that I wasted money on the 2CD 50 Big Ones and 2CD/vinyl Smile for those exclusives to be included here as part of the "60 unreleased tracks" which is mainly made up of live tracks and backing tracks.  "Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" is a big draw, but "Wouldn't It Be Nice If This Tracklisting Didn't Suck"?  

Will you please stop spreading misinformation?
NOTHING on 50 Big Ones or the Smile releases is being counted as an unreleased track. There are eighteen live tracks and five backing tracks by my count, and the live tracks include several that people have been *begging* would get an official release.

There are at least six songs on here that have never even been booted in any form, which *by itself* is more than the "4-5 rarities" you claim, let alone all the tracks that *have* been booted but have never had an official release.

And nobody who had a clue *EVER* claimed this was a "deep-cuts" box at all.

You don't want it. Fine. We understand that. You've made it very clear. But there's no need to just make up lies about a track list we can all see.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
davywheatdyke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 11, 2013, 11:09:07 AM »

For what it is worth I am definitely of the "bunt instead of a slam dunk" view of this selection. I can listen to this on spotify for free then cherry pick the keepers as mp3s from Amazon/ iTunes or whatever and save myself £100. Unless they bung in another disc as a wee bonus with some of the obvious exclusions.  Why they don't offer to flog us mp3s of all the obscure tracks/ sessions I do not know, it would be money for old rope and the costs to Capitol would be so low that even a low volume of sales would be profitable.

And was I the only one hoping for a few more variations on Old Man River? Am sure I read a while back they pottered about with it for a while.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 11, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »

And was I the only one hoping for a few more variations on Old Man River? Am sure I read a while back they pottered about with it for a while.

You never know, you might be in luck -- after all, we don't know for sure that Old Man River (Vocal Section) is exactly the same as what we've already got, though I'd assume it is.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: June 11, 2013, 11:13:07 AM »

That's a good point, if you don't have the full 130 to spend and just want what you haven't already bought or heard in the way of the greatest hits stuff, make it possible to cherry-pick purchase the rare tracks on iTunes or Amazon or wherever. Of course the packaging goodies and inserts wouldn't be included.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 11, 2013, 11:13:53 AM »

"Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again" is a big draw, but "Wouldn't It Be Nice If This Tracklisting Didn't Suck"?

Genuine question, Mr Forces, honestly... what are you missing that's not on here?

I'd like to hear this song for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjIeDHmLzsw

And Thank Him.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 11, 2013, 11:15:47 AM »

I'd like to hear this song for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjIeDHmLzsw

And Thank Him.

But again you've obviously already heard those so...

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I don't really understand the logic unless you and those like you are that obsessed with a SQ upgrade?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2013, 11:16:31 AM »

Weird. I was there at the midnight release of Anthology I and the emphasis seemed to be mostly on Free As A Bird and the never before released tracks. I recall local news stations also reporting that angle.

I'm just going by the footage I've seen.  Your personal experience is your personal experience.  Generally speaking though, I can report as fact that there was a lot of griping the following day from people who thought they were purchasing something akin to the GV Box Set but for The Beatles obviously.

I saw both sides of that, but I do have to agree most of the hype for "Anthology 1" for the general public was centered around Free As A Bird as the first new Beatles recording in years, followed by the first release of the rare material like the Quarrymen acetates, I don't recall as much buzz around the set as a greatest hits package. But again, that was my experience living in Boston half a block from the Tower Records store where every Monday night they'd do some event around the new releases.

ABC the night of the premiere even had a clock counting down the minutes until they showed the new video. That was a little tacky but not unexpected.  Smiley

And ultimately the people buying Anthology for all its flaws were getting perhaps 85% or more of material they had never been able to buy officially, and remember most music-buying folks at that time had no idea what "Unsurpassed Masters" or "Ultra Rare Trax" were, let alone owning any of the sets, so it was all new to them.

I'm not denying that.  What I'm not entirely sure of is if most of them even wanted that stuff in the first place?

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »

"Most of those first 4 discs I could compile for myself"

That sums it up for me.  So the question is: Am I willing to throw down $130 for two CDs?

"Jeff, you care." --BW
picassosson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 11, 2013, 11:24:18 AM »

Elated, but a bit disappointed. I guess we knew all along we should be lucky for whatever we get.

Major Omissions:

Friends - Felt they could've dug deeper a bit from the Smiley->Friends era. It was a period where there was still significant activity from Brian, with alarming beauty. I would kill to hear any scraps, no matter how "insignificant."

Early 70's - Big Sur (early version), Out In The Country, and Carry Me Home are all gems. My Solution is a great curio. As far as all of the "Blondie/Ricky" being airbrushed out of the BB history - I could care less outside of live performances and Sail On Sailor. I could also care less if I never hear Here She Comes, Dear Brother, or Leaving This Town again. Same goes for We Got Love, It's A New Day - all that garbage.

Brian's Back - Arguably the last seriously creative era from Brian, and criminally overlooked. Give me more quirky 15BO instrumentals, Just Like Heaven with Brian vox, Life Is For The Living, Deep Purple, Lines, Everybody Wants To Live, My Diane, Marilyn Rovell, Alone On Christmas Day, New England Waltz, Lazy Lizzie, Stevie, I'm Starting To Say - ALL OF IT. My guess is Brian is the biggest blocker of this material - out of bad vibes, embarrassment, who knows. My suspicion is we won't get an accurate archival deep dive into this period until he is gone.

80's/90's - Don't give a sh*t. Soul Searchin' and You're Still A Mystery are nice for posterity.

Live - Where are 70's era Surf's Up, Jumping Jack Flash, Mess Of Help, Cuddle Up, I Got A Friend, Dennis sung Rhonda, In The Back Of My Mind, Caroline No, I'm Waiting For The Day etc. How about some live Mike Love TM poetry for good measure?

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 11, 2013, 11:25:53 AM »

The Box is pretty good imo. Very true to the GV format and includes much of what one would want to hear from a collection spanning the entire Beach Boys catalogue.

As people have pointed out some of the choices are questionable when one considers what is not released. I can't even begin listing all which we don't get, which is a little sad given that I hoped only a select few cuts would not make it.

We should not despair however and in time perhaps many of the ommited tracks will be posted for purchase online. Such tracks can still earn a couple of buck. Who knows how long we must wait. One day we will hear them in all their perfection and imperfection.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 11, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »

That's the unspoken disappointment here.

Did the hits really need to be included, especially after the 50 big ones CD only a few months ago. It's food for thought.

Maybe they didn't need to be, but as I told you over a month ago, it was precisely what was being planned.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12489.msg367095.html#msg367095

I'm afraid you got your own hopes up that this was going to something that no one ever was suggesting it was.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 11, 2013, 11:28:54 AM »

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Capitol read this and thought, f*** the ungrateful bastards, we'll pull the set.

O dear, Phil Cohen hacked AGD's account...   Grin

On a more serious note: I'm very happy with this track list. Of course we all have our favorite (unreleased) songs that are not included on this comp, but I can't wait to hear the ones that ARE included. Kudo's to all that made this box possible. I'm sure it has been a tough job getting this collection compiled. And after a marvellous 2012 with a new reunion album and tour, this is more than could have dreamed of.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: June 11, 2013, 11:30:55 AM »

Weird. I was there at the midnight release of Anthology I and the emphasis seemed to be mostly on Free As A Bird and the never before released tracks. I recall local news stations also reporting that angle.

I'm just going by the footage I've seen.  Your personal experience is your personal experience.  Generally speaking though, I can report as fact that there was a lot of griping the following day from people who thought they were purchasing something akin to the GV Box Set but for The Beatles obviously.

I saw both sides of that, but I do have to agree most of the hype for "Anthology 1" for the general public was centered around Free As A Bird as the first new Beatles recording in years, followed by the first release of the rare material like the Quarrymen acetates, I don't recall as much buzz around the set as a greatest hits package. But again, that was my experience living in Boston half a block from the Tower Records store where every Monday night they'd do some event around the new releases.

ABC the night of the premiere even had a clock counting down the minutes until they showed the new video. That was a little tacky but not unexpected.  Smiley

And ultimately the people buying Anthology for all its flaws were getting perhaps 85% or more of material they had never been able to buy officially, and remember most music-buying folks at that time had no idea what "Unsurpassed Masters" or "Ultra Rare Trax" were, let alone owning any of the sets, so it was all new to them.

I'm not denying that.  What I'm not entirely sure of is if most of them even wanted that stuff in the first place?

If we're comparing Beach Boys in 2013 to Beatles in 1995, remember that both the "Red" and "Blue" Beatles hits packages were reissued on CD in late 1993, and were still in print when Anthology hit the stores. Those more casual fans both new and old (who may have owned the original vinyl red and blue sets) had access to all the well-known hits in those two comprehensive CD packages. If Apple had put those same hits as were on the late '93 hits packages onto Anthology, wouldn't those same fans feel somewhat duped into re-purchasing what they already bought on the red and blue discs? At least Anthology had material which was brand new, and unheard by most.

In the BB's case, look at the past 5-7 years of releases and the hits are readily available on various packages for casual fans.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 11, 2013, 11:31:31 AM »

And Thank Him.

Well, they're out there if you want 'em — unlike, say, Where Is She? or WIBNTLA. Also, wasn't Brian mortified about doing those two early songs back in the day, as in embarrassed at their very existence? I may have remembered that wrong, but if so, maybe that's why they haven't seen release now. The guys did get a say in what made it out on this set, after all, don't forget?

I may have totally mangled this over the years, but I seem to recall that Brian felt those two songs, and indeed that whole style of songwriting, was foistered upon them by Murry, and was old-fashioned and too backward-looking? I may additionally be putting two and two together to make five, but the guys do sound a bit embarrassed at the end of that YouTube take of Beginning Of The End...
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 11, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »

Tracklist:

The Beach Boys: Made In California

CD 1
----
1.    Home Recordings / "Surfin'" Rehearsal Highlights (2012 Edit - Mono)
2.    Surfin' (with Session Intro - Mono)
3.    Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring (Demo - Mono)
4.    Surfin' Safari (Original Mono Long Version)
5.    409 (Original Mono Long Version)
6.    Lonely Sea (Original Mono Mix)
7.    Surfin' U.S.A.
8.    Shut Down (2003 Stereo Mix)
9.    Surfer Girl
10.   Little Deuce Coupe
11.   Catch A Wave
12.   Our Car Club
13.   Surfers Rule (with Session Intro)
14.   In My Room
15.   Back Home
16.   Be True To Your School (Mono Single Version)
17.   Ballad Of Ole' Betsy
18.   Little Saint Nick (Stereo Single Version)
19.   Fun, Fun, Fun (Mono Single Version)
20.   Little Honda
21.   Don't Worry Baby (2009 Stereo Mix)
22.   Why Do Fools Fall In Love (2009 Stereo Mix)
23.   The Warmth Of The Sun
24.   I Get Around (with Session Intro - Mono)
25.   Wendy (2007 Stereo Mix)
26.   All Summer Long (2007 Stereo Mix)
27.   Girls On The Beach
28.   Don't Back Down
29.   When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) (2012 Stereo Mix)
30.   All Dressed Up For School (Mono)
31.   Please Let Me Wonder (2007 Stereo Mix)
32.   Kiss Me, Baby (2000 Stereo Mix)
33.   In The Back of My Mind (2012 Stereo Mix)
34.   Dance, Dance, Dance (2003 Stereo Mix)

CD 2
----
1.    Do You Wanna Dance (2012 Stereo Mix)
2.    Help Me, Rhonda (Mono Single Version)
3.    California Girls (2002 Stereo Mix)
4.    Amusement Parks USA (Early Version)
5.    Salt Lake City (2001 Stereo Mix)
6.    Let Him Run Wild (2007 Stereo Mix)
7.    Graduation Day (Session Excerpt and Master Take, 2012 Mix)
8.    The Little Girl I Once Knew (Mono)
9.    There's No Other (Like My Baby) (2012 "Unplugged" Mix with Party Session
      Intro)
10.   Barbara Ann (2012 Stereo Mix)
11.   Radio Spot "Wonderful KYA" (Mono)
12.   Sloop John B (1996 Stereo Mix)
13.   Wouldn't It Be Nice (2001 Stereo Mix)
14.   God Only Knows (1996 Stereo Mix)
15.   I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (1996 Stereo Mix)
16.   Caroline No (1996 Stereo Mix)
17.   Good Vibrations (Mono)
18.   Our Prayer (2012 "Smile Sessions" Stereo Mix)
19.   Heroes And Villains: Part 1 ("Smile Sessions" Mix - Mono)
20.   Heroes And Villains: Part 2 ("Smile Sessions" Mix - Mono)
21.   Vega-Tables ("Smile Sessions" Stereo Mix)
22.   Wind Chimes ("Smile Sessions" Stereo Mix)
23.   The Elements: Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow) ("Smile Sessions" Mix - Mono)
24.   Cabin Essence ("Smile Sessions" Mix - Mono)
25.   Heroes And Villains (2012 Stereo Mix)
26.   Wonderful (2012 Stereo Mix)
27.   Country Air (2012 Stereo Mix)
28.   Wild Honey (2012 Stereo Mix)

CD 3
----
1.    Darlin' (2012 Stereo Mix)
2.    Let The Wind Blow (2001 Stereo Mix)
3.    Meant For You (Alternate Version)
4.    Friends
5.    Little Bird
6.    Busy Doin' Nothin'
7.    Sail Plane Song (2012 Stereo Mix)
8.    We're Together Again (2012 Stereo Mix)
9.    Radio Spot "Murray The K" (Mono)
10.   Do It Again (2012 Stereo Mix)
11.   Old Man River (Vocal Section)
12.   Be With Me
13.   I Can Hear Music
14.   Time To Get Alone
15.   I Went To Sleep
16.   Can't Wait Too Long (A Cappella)
17.   Break Away (Alternate Version)
18.   Celebrate The News
19.   Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song) (Single Version, 2001 Stereo Mix)
20.   Susie Cincinnati (2012 Mix)
21.   Good Time
22.   Slip On Through
23.   Add Some Music To Your Day
24.   This Whole World
25.   Forever
26.   It's About Time
27.   Soulful Old Man Sunshine
28.   Fallin' In Love (2009 Stereo Mix)
29.   Sound Of Free (Mono Single Version)
30.   'Til I Die
31.   Surf's Up

CD 4
----
1.    Don't Go Near The Water
2.    Disney Girls (1957)
3.    Feel Flows
4.    (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again
5.    Marcella
6.    All This Is That
7.    Sail On Sailor
8.    The Trader
9.    California Saga (On My Way To Sunny Californ-I-A)
10.   Rock And Roll Music (2012 Mix w/Extra Verse)
11.   It's OK (Alternate Mix)
12.   Had To Phone Ya
13.   Let Us Go On This Way
14.   I'll Bet He's Nice
15.   Solar System
16.   The Night Was So Young
17.   It's Over Now (Alternate Mix)
18.   Come Go With Me
19.   California Feelin'
20.   Brian's Back (Alternate Mix)
21.   Good Timin'
22.   Angel Come Home
23.   Baby Blue
24.   It's A Beautiful Day (Single Edit) (2012 Mix)
25.   Goin' To The Beach

CD 5
----
1.     Goin' On
2.     Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love
3.     Da Doo Ron Ron
4.     Getcha Back
5.     California Dreamin'
6.     Kokomo
7.     Soul Searchin'
8.     You're Still A Mystery
9.     That's Why God Made The Radio
10.    Isn't It Time (Single Version)
 THE BEACH BOYS LIVE:
-------------------------------------------------------------
11.    Runaway (Chicago 1965 -- w/Concert Promo Intro - Mono)
12.    You're So Good To Me (Paris 1966 - Mono)
13.    The Letter (Hawaii Rehearsal 1967)
14.    Friends (Chicago 1968 - Mono)
15.    Little Bird (Chicago 1968 - Mono)
16.    All I Want To Do (London 1968)
17.    Help Me, Rhonda (New Jersey 1972)
18.    Wild Honey (New Jersey 1972)
19.    Only With You (New York 1972)
20.    It's About Time (Chicago 1973)
21.    I Can Hear Music (Maryland 1975)
22.    Vegetables (New York 1993)
23.    Wonderful (New York 1993)
24.    Sail On Sailor (Louisville 1995)
25.    Summer In Paradise (Wembley 1993)

CD 6
----
FROM THE VAULTS:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.     Radio Spot (1966 -- Mono)
2.     Slip On Through (A Cappella Mix)
3.     Don't Worry Baby (Stereo Session Outtake w/ Alternate Lead Vocal)
4.     Pom Pom Play Girl (Vocal Session Highlight)
5.     Guess I'm Dumb (Instrumental Track w/Background Vocals)
6.     Sherry She Needs Me (1965 Track w/1976 Vocal)
7.     Mona Kana (Instrumental Track)
8.     This Whole World (A Cappella)
9.     Where Is She?
10.    Had To Phone Ya (Instrumental Track)
11.    SMiLE Backing Vocals Montage (from "The Smile Sessions")
12.    Good Vibrations (Stereo Track Sections)
13.    Be With Me (Demo)
14.    I Believe In Miracles (Vocal Section)
15.    Why (Instrumental Track)
16.    Barnyard Blues
17.    Don't Go Near The Water (Instrumental Track)
18.    You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling
19.    Transcendental Meditation (Instrumental Track)
20.    Our Sweet Love (Vocals w/Strings)
21.    Back Home (1970 Version)
22.    California Feelin' (Original Demo)
23.    California Girls ("Lei'd In Hawaii" Studio Version)
24.    Help You, Rhonda ("Lei'd In Hawaii" Studio Version)
25.    Surf's Up (1967 Version) (2012 Mix)
26.    My Love Lives On
27.    Radio Spot (1964 - Mono)
28.    Wendy (BBC -- Live in the Studio 1964 - Mono)
29.    When I Grow Up (To Be A Man) (BBC -- Live in the Studio 1964 - Mono)
30.    Hushabye (BBC -- Live in the Studio 1964 - Mono)
31.    Carl Wilson: Coda (2013 Edit)
That looks absolutely fantastic. Better than the '93 box, for sure.

A discipline daddy.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 11, 2013, 11:34:52 AM »

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Capitol read this and thought, f*** the ungrateful bastards, we'll pull the set.

O dear, Phil Cohen hacked AGD's account...   Grin

On a more serious note: I'm very happy with this track list. Of course we all have our favorite (unreleased) songs that are not included on this comp, but I can't wait to hear the ones that ARE included. Kudo's to all that made this box possible. I'm sure it has been a tough job getting this collection compiled. And after a marvellous 2012 with a new reunion album and tour, this is more than could have dreamed of.
Well said! We are an ungrateful lot, though. We only think about what we want for ourselves. Even like with this box, where people want it to be what it was never meant to be. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 11, 2013, 11:35:33 AM »

Looks very nice indeed! Can't wait Smiley

I hope Wild Honey (live) is the Blondie version.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 11, 2013, 11:37:02 AM »

That looks absolutely fantastic. Better than the '93 box, for sure.

I don't know about that. Getting those Smile tracks on the GV Box Set was unbelievably great.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:37:57 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: June 11, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »

You ever get a chance to watch the footage of the midnight release for "Anthology 1"?  It's so patently obvious to anyone who watches that footage that the people lined up think they are going to be buying a traditional Beatles box set or something of that nature.  No two ways about it.

I agree that the numbers for "Anthology 1" were bumped by the heavy promotion by ABC but I really can't complain at all about the promotion regarding the "Anthology" project in general as that was one of the finest media blitzes the world has yet seen possibly only rivaled by "The Beatles Are Coming" campaign of 1964.  Sales dipped by and large due to the fact that The Beatles released a product geared towards a more hardcore fanbase (which again wasn't exactly satisfied by it either) and the general public rejected it once they realized what it was all about.  I'm not denying the points brought up in your posting didn't contribute to the dip in sales for the subsequent volumes but to me it's always been as clear as day why the sales dipped having experienced it firsthand around a decade ago.

I think our perceptions of that time are indeed simply different. I was at the epic midnight “Anthology 1” release at Tower Records (remember them?), and as someone else pointed out, I think the main interest was “Free As A Bird”, and then beyond that, it was still mostly diehard Beatles fans who were excited about an official release of outtakes. I don’t recall many if any “casual” fans who were expecting a hits compilation. Those types of fans don’t do midnight release events usually, and I don’t think people would have been that worked up to the point of showing up at a record store at midnight if the Beatles were just launching a hits compilation. The “Red” and “Blue” albums were already out on CD at that time. And when “Beatles 1” was released in 2000, there wasn’t nearly as much “midnight release” level hoopla.

There may well have been more casual fans who picked up “Anthology 1” in its first few weeks who may have even known it was outtakes but were turned off by the admittedly shaky sound quality of much of the first disc, comprised of early acetate transfers, off-line home recordings, demos, and so on. The drop-off in sales may have been a bit less had they mixed up the three sets so that some of the later-era, better-sounding recordings were heard first.

I think Capitol was interested in November 1995 in moving as many 2-disc sets as they could, and they succeeded. The interest was first and foremost with “Free As a Bird.” That track was released first on “Anthology 1”, and then a month later as a single. When the single did not hit #1 as the album did (I think the single hit like #6 or something), much was made of that. But the single would have been #1 had it been released first. The interest was in Beatles product period, and a “new” song specifically.

Back to the Beach Boys, I highly doubt we’ll see any “singles” from “Made in California”, but it would be interesting if they promoted “Made in California” by first releasing a strong track like “Soul Searchin’” or “You’re Still a Mystery”, something (relatively) contemporary sounding (1995 is contemporary enough when it comes to the Beach Boys I suppose).

I still hope after “Made in California”, we can still get a “Beach Boys Central” website or some sort of “Archive Collection” series of live shows and studio outtakes. Unlikely, but I’ll still hope.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »

Did the hits really need to be included, especially after the 50 big ones CD only a few months ago. It's food for thought.

They did not. This box is a two-edged sword for the fans considering that it's 130$ and contains Barbara Ann and Kokomo for the n'th time. Greatest hits sets already flood the market and these songs will not drive demand for the box. Poor students such as myself cannot afford to buy huge boxed sets with only 35 % new music and only 35% of that is genuinely new (not 'alternate versions/a capella').

Sorry Capitol, I really wanted to buy this thing but you give me too little of an incentive. Torrents here I come.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2013, 11:39:39 AM »

No "Is Jack Reiley Really Superman"?

How DARE they not include a song I want in a career-spanning box set with very limited space that has to appeal to a wide audience!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 11, 2013, 11:42:54 AM »

I volunteer to answer in his name.

It's A New Day
Carry Me Home
California Slide
anything from Adult Child
Out In The Country
anything Blondie/Ricky
anything new uncovered from Smile
stereo WH songs of those that remained

the list goes is quite significant considering what was hoped for. ultimately this box will derive its sales from the fan base. the fan base has been let down slightly by being forced to buy Surfin' USA again.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 11, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »

They did not. This box is a two-edged sword for the fans considering that it's 130$ and contains Barbara Ann and Kokomo for the n'th time. Greatest hits sets already flood the market and these songs will not drive demand for the box. Poor students such as myself cannot afford to buy huge boxed sets with only 35 % new music and only 35% of that is genuinely new (not 'alternate versions/a capella').

Sorry Capitol, I really wanted to buy this thing but you give me too little of an incentive. Torrents here I come.
Buy it later after you graduate and get a job. Look how long the GV Box Set stayed around. And, if your gonna call out Barbara Ann & Kokomo, why not add I Get Around, Fun Fun Fun, Good Vibrations, etc. that are also on every GH package released.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,