gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:06:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 112 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MiC up for order on Amazon, August release  (Read 441716 times)
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: June 16, 2013, 04:26:39 AM »

I was under the impression he meant length as opposed to quantity. The life suite in its entirety is long.

Yup!  "Sunflower" or "Today" would have more tracks, but they're shorter ones.  And while I personally think "Radio" is a great album, in terms of telling the story of the band it's not worth that big a chunk (especially given what else would have to be lost).  The two singles and "Summer's Gone" would be my preference...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: June 16, 2013, 05:19:31 AM »

I was under the impression he meant length as opposed to quantity. The life suite in its entirety is long.

Yup!  "Sunflower" or "Today" would have more tracks, but they're shorter ones.  

I have to admit - I'm still not getting why the length of the songs, or the total length of the albums (within reason), should have anything to do with whether or not they be included on the box? As I mentioned, the Surf's Up album proper is represented by 18+ minutes of music, so it wasn't like there was some kind of hard rules or set limit. Heck, the Sunflower album, related singles and session material look like they're somewhere in the 30 minute range at casual glance! Conversely, some albums had little to no representation.

In the case of TWGMTR, it would be roughly 16:50 for 5 songs, or 13:10 if they just went with 4 (i.e. say, minus Isn't It Time). With those 3 final tracks totaling less than 10 minutes. Hardly an over-representation of the album if one deems it quality material. And, judging by nearly everything I've read in the past 12 months, most people seem to consider those final 3 tracks the highlight of the album, and arguably the best tracks the band has released in nearly 35 years. If that isn't "comprehensive box set material"...I don't know what is!

And while I personally think "Radio" is a great album, in terms of telling the story of the band it's not worth that big a chunk (especially given what else would have to be lost).  The two singles and "Summer's Gone" would be my preference...

Well, for me, as well as the telling of the band's and album's story, I would lose Isn't It Time for FTTBA and PCH in a heartbeat.

Opinions....lol.  LOL
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:24:20 AM by Dave Modny » Logged
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: June 16, 2013, 07:01:08 AM »

And, judging by nearly everything I've read in the past 12 months, most people seem to consider those final 3 tracks the highlight of the album, and arguably the best tracks the band has released in nearly 35 years. If that isn't "comprehensive box set material"...I don't know what is!
I completely agree on the merits of the suite material.  It's hands-down some of the best BB material in decades, and I'm with you, it should have been included in some way, shape or form.

I'm still hoping we get to hear the complete suite one day.

Oh, and think I may have uncovered the identity of the mysterious Wilson.  It's Brian.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: June 16, 2013, 10:01:06 AM »

You have to question the inclusion of "Isn't It Time" and "God/Radio" as both were just on 50 BIG ONES. I'd have kept "God/Radio", let "Time" rest, then would have added "There to Back" plus an unreleased track or two from the THAT'S WHY GOD MADE THE RADIO sessions.

One more PET SOUNDS track would have been about right.

"Let Us Go On This Way" again??? No "Steamboat"Huh

Kudos for getting "Lonely Sea" and "Feel Flows" on the set.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: June 16, 2013, 10:09:31 AM »

You have to question the inclusion of "Isn't It Time" and "God/Radio" as both were just on 50 BIG ONES.

I would be careful- people want this thread to be a big kumbaya love fest when it comes to questioning the tracklist....
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: June 16, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »

You have to question the inclusion of "Isn't It Time" and "God/Radio" as both were just on 50 BIG ONES.

I would be careful- people want this thread to be a big kumbaya love fest when it comes to questioning the tracklist....

These are minor quibbles-clearly MIC seems to sum up The Beach Boys pretty well.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: June 16, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »

These are minor quibbles-clearly MIC seems to sum up The Beach Boys pretty well.

That can be easily argued

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: June 16, 2013, 11:02:15 AM »

No-one wants that.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: June 16, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »

I think Summer's Gone from the Royal Albert Hall show could have close off the concert portion of disc five, would rather have that than Summer in Paradise.

Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: June 16, 2013, 11:13:37 AM »

I think Summer's Gone from the Royal Albert Hall show could have close off the concert portion of disc five

Sure, if you want to end it with a recording on which only Jeff Foskett knew what the feck he was supposed to be singing.
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: June 16, 2013, 12:22:28 PM »

And, judging by nearly everything I've read in the past 12 months, most people seem to consider those final 3 tracks the highlight of the album, and arguably the best tracks the band has released in nearly 35 years. If that isn't "comprehensive box set material"...I don't know what is!
I completely agree on the merits of the suite material.  It's hands-down some of the best BB material in decades, and I'm with you, it should have been included in some way, shape or form.

I'm still hoping we get to hear the complete suite one day.

Oh, and think I may have uncovered the identity of the mysterious Wilson.  It's Brian.

Maybe the suite, or some of it will be on Brian's solo album. Fingers crossed!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: June 16, 2013, 01:03:06 PM »

And not sure if this has been asked, or anyone knows, but what's different about the alternate version of Meant For You? Is it longer? Please tell me it's longer.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 16, 2013, 01:04:37 PM »

And not sure if this has been asked, or anyone knows, but what's different about the alternate version of Meant For You? Is it longer? Please tell me it's longer.

It's longer

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 16, 2013, 01:05:16 PM »

It's longer

Thanks for humoring me, Friend!

- Dr. Seuss
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 16, 2013, 01:28:29 PM »

I think Summer's Gone from the Royal Albert Hall show could have close off the concert portion of disc five, would rather have that than Summer in Paradise.

I strongly agree.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #1040 on: June 16, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »

I strongly agree.

I'm glad that Summer In Paradise is on there. It might an awful album, but I genuinely do like the SIP title track, and a live version of it might eliminate the lame production of the album to let the song really shine. I wonder if McGuinn will make an appearance?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1041 on: June 16, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »

Now that is a seriously fake beard.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 16, 2013, 02:01:16 PM »

I strongly agree.

I'm glad that Summer In Paradise is on there. It might an awful album, but I genuinely do like the SIP title track, and a live version of it might eliminate the lame production of the album to let the song really shine. I wonder if McGuinn will make an appearance?

There's a live version on youtube that's a lot more listenable than the album version.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJkHrqJqZFM

I hope it's this recording or something similar. I too am glad they included a live version on the set.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:02:09 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 16, 2013, 02:07:51 PM »

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 02:10:08 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: June 16, 2013, 02:09:32 PM »

The beard is not fake. It's very real. But the hat is deceiving. He's no longer a San Francisco Giant.

Brian Wilson (the baseball pitcher) is a big Beach Boys fan. He's acknowledged that the other Brian Wilson (Brian Douglas Wilson) is a legend. He's said so in interviews.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 16, 2013, 02:16:22 PM »

The beard is not fake. It's very real. But the hat is deceiving. He's no longer a San Francisco Giant.

Brian Wilson (the baseball pitcher) is a big Beach Boys fan. He's acknowledged that the other Brian Wilson (Brian Douglas Wilson) is a legend. He's said so in interviews.

Found this unintentionally humorous ad on Facebook a while back:

notice the Beach Boy Brian Wilson on the left, and the Giant's pitcher on the right Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 16, 2013, 02:53:59 PM »

Sweet! Which interviews?

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 16, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »

Not faked but heavily dyed which makes it look fake.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 16, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »

Boy, I hope so!

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather the rest of the Beach Boys' voices appear on the tracks alongside Brian's (and maybe there were some vocals cut by the guys last year on the otherwise unfinished suite numbers), but if a solo BW release is the only way we can ever hope to hear the tunes and complete the suite, I'd take that trade in heartbeat.

While there's no proof that what remains of the suite will be as good, what we have heard has been just that outstanding.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 16, 2013, 06:36:42 PM »

Boy, I hope so!

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather the rest of the Beach Boys' voices appear on the tracks alongside Brian's (and maybe there were some vocals cut by the guys last year on the otherwise unfinished suite numbers), but if a solo BW release is the only way we can ever hope to hear the tunes and complete the suite, I'd take that trade in heartbeat.

While there's no proof that what remains of the suite will be as good, what we have heard has been just that outstanding.
Didn't Brian say it's a "Rock n Roll" album?  Which would mean no Suite?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 112 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx