gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 11:59:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 92940 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: June 16, 2013, 06:33:30 PM »

So here's a question: What's that kind of weird almost reverse-fill that the drums do a lot of the time in Brian's tunes?  You can hear it at about 1:09 and 1:15 in "From there to Back Again." It's also in "This Whole World." I've just never heard it discussed, and I'm sure there's a name for it.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 17, 2013, 05:09:50 AM »

So here's a question: What's that kind of weird almost reverse-fill that the drums do a lot of the time in Brian's tunes?  You can hear it at about 1:09 and 1:15 in "From there to Back Again." It's also in "This Whole World." I've just never heard it discussed, and I'm sure there's a name for it.
I'm a guitarist, so I may lack a drummer's terminology, but I checked out FTtBA, and it's just a series of simple snare fills, but the hook is that they're played dynamically, from quiet to loud.  Almost sneaking up on you.  It's a nice technique.

Same thing on "This Whole World," only the toms are introduced to the fills.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 20, 2013, 10:15:58 AM »

Some more info on the album:
http://www.brianwilson.com/news/

VERY interesting stuff here.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 20, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »

Yay !!!! three albums worth of material...including "the suite".. Afro
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 20, 2013, 10:22:47 AM »

Well, it says "three records", but later in the article it says something about them having recorded a dozen songs. I think the 'three records' quote was referring to the fact that he's working with three distinct styles of music all at one time. Anyway, we finally have some titles:

"Right Time"
"Guess You Had To Be There"
"Metropolis"

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: June 20, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »

If it really is that good then it indeed is unfortunate that it's no Beach Boys album. The description makes it sound like Beach Boys albums from the late 60s. Anyway, I'm very interested to hear the music

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: June 20, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »

Brian's new addiction. The guy really hasn't changed.  Cheesy

'After lunch, Wilson asks a studio engineer to place an order for "supershots" – a viscous concoction of wheatgrass, spiraling and cayenne pepper, with a lime chaser. The rest of the group gags to get it down, but Wilson savors his. "I love the energy! I feel great already!" he says. "You think if I give them, like $100 they'll deliver eight or 10 of these to my house?

"I'm 70 years old," Wilson continues, leaning over the console, "but when I get to work I feel like I'm in my twenties again. I don't know why. I'm just in the groove."'
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 20, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »

Very interesting! Hope he pulls it off, instead of 12 tracks hodgepodging the three projects together....

Really heartening to hear Al is featuring a lot on it, too.

Oh my god, that concoction sounds revolting.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: June 20, 2013, 10:27:32 AM »

This sounds incredible

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 20, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »

If it really is that good then it indeed is unfortunate that it's no Beach Boys album. The description makes it sound like Beach Boys albums from the late 60s. Anyway, I'm very interested to hear the music

This.  But you know what I'm selfishly thinking?  We can all make one heckuva playlist out of all this stuff in a few months.  The best of TWGMTR, Brian's/Al's/David's upcoming tunes, the officially released Soul Searchin' and YSAM...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: June 20, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »

This.  But you know what I'm selfishly thinking?  We can all make one heckuva playlist out of all this stuff in a few months.  The best of TWGMTR, Brian's/Al's/David's upcoming tunes, the officially released Soul Searchin' and YSAM...

Wel, you could. But I'm fine with TWGMTR as it is. Looking forward to official releases of Soul Searching and "Mystery". The new album will be a Brian release with contributions by Al and David to me, just what it will be  Wink
Who would have thought just 1 1/2 years ago that Brian would want to work with other Beach Boys?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: June 20, 2013, 10:42:23 AM »

Really exciting stuff. I'm amped!

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: June 20, 2013, 10:45:14 AM »

Well, it says "three records", but later in the article it says something about them having recorded a dozen songs. I think the 'three records' quote was referring to the fact that he's working with three distinct styles of music all at one time.

Well, it says "Over a lunch of takeout chicken tacos, Wilson plays back a dozen unfinished songs" not that there are only a dozen unfinished songs existing. If you're talking three albums, you'd probably have more in the bank than that. Maybe he didn't play the journalist the suite tracks, maybe he was just playing a selection, maybe Joe Thomas was operating VLC player. But we're getting track titles at last! Oooo, speculation. A great 71st birthday gift.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: June 20, 2013, 10:51:32 AM »

Thanks for posting that Wrightfan! Exciting news!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 20, 2013, 11:31:47 AM »

I would love to slap my money down on the counter for a double album from Brian but I'd take three separate albums, too. it sounds like he's smokin'. Bring it on!

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 20, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »

Is it really his 11th solo album?

BW88
IJWMFTT
Imagination
Roxy
Gettin In Over My Head
BWPS (solo?)
Christmas album
TLOS
Disney
Gershwin

Well, I'll be. Wow. Okay, so it's only 4 albums of original material (aside from BWPS). But still.
I wonder if there's enough for a best-of, since most here are in agreement that his stuff has some very high "highs."

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: June 20, 2013, 12:28:44 PM »

I could compile a very solid best of out of those 10 albums

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #442 on: June 20, 2013, 12:54:14 PM »

BW88
IJWMFTT
Orange Crate Art
Imagination
Roxy
Gettin In Over My Head
BWPS (solo?)
Christmas album
TLOS
Disney
Gershwin

Well, I'll be. Wow. Okay, so it's only 4 albums of original material (aside from BWPS). But still.
I wonder if there's enough for a best-of, since most here are in agreement that his stuff has some very high "highs."

Roxy shouldn't count, otherwise you gotta count Pet Sounds Live. Better to count "Orange Crate Art", even though he was only a singer....still, his name was listed first.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: June 20, 2013, 01:21:53 PM »

BW88
IJWMFTT
Orange Crate Art
Imagination
Roxy
Gettin In Over My Head
BWPS (solo?)
Christmas album
TLOS
Disney
Gershwin

Roxy shouldn't count, otherwise you gotta count Pet Sounds Live. Better to count "Orange Crate Art", even though he was only a singer....still, his name was listed first.

Word is that he also arranged the vocals.

- Jack Rieley
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »

Sounds like something he'd get from H.E.L.P. to me.  :-)  That more than anything says he's back in his '20s mindset!

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 20, 2013, 07:18:23 PM »

Wheatgrass and cayenne pepper I'm familiar with - but what is 'spiraling'? Something that has a different name in American English than it does in British English?

EDIT: I think, after looking this up, it's a typo for 'spirulina'. Sounds yummy... not.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:21:59 PM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: June 21, 2013, 06:42:54 AM »

BW88
IJWMFTT
Orange Crate Art
Imagination
Roxy
Gettin In Over My Head
BWPS (solo?)
Christmas album
TLOS
Disney
Gershwin

In interviews, Brian stated that Van Dyke did the vocal arrangements...he said he would come in, Van Dyke would teach him a part, he would sing it, then Van Dyke would teach him another part & he would sing that, etc.  And Brian's name is listed first on the front and on the left spine, but Van Dyke's name is listed first on the right spine. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 21, 2013, 07:39:50 AM »

BW88
IJWMFTT
Orange Crate Art
Imagination
Roxy
Gettin In Over My Head
BWPS (solo?)
Christmas album
TLOS
Disney
Gershwin

In interviews, Brian stated that Van Dyke did the vocal arrangements...he said he would come in, Van Dyke would teach him a part, he would sing it, then Van Dyke would teach him another part & he would sing that, etc.  And Brian's name is listed first on the front and on the left spine, but Van Dyke's name is listed first on the right spine.  

AGD and I had a back and forth on this a year or two ago, and the consensus seemed to be that Brian was indeed the uncredited vocal arranger for the album. Here's a rhetorical question: What other Van Dyke Parks album features any level of complex, multi-part vocal arrangements that just happen to sound exactly like the kind of thing Brian Wilson does? As for Brian's statements at the time, IIRC, they were more along the lines of "Van Dyke taught me this song line by line," which is considerably different than "part by part."

Also: In his contemporaneous book, Timothy White credits Brian with the vocal arrangements as well.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:42:51 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: June 21, 2013, 09:20:14 AM »

Plus VDP states that Brian came up with the vocal arrangements for the title track on the OCA "Words + Music" CD.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: June 21, 2013, 09:25:16 AM »

Sure would be fun to hear Orange Crate Art live. Maybe with Al on the verses, Brian doing the bridge! As the sun sets at the Greek Theatre? Yes please.

Showstopping applause as VDP trundles up all dapper and pushes Brian aside at the keyboard.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx