gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:31:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson's 11th solo album announced today  (Read 92787 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: June 11, 2013, 04:37:29 PM »

Danny Boy? Down in the Valley? On Top of Old Smokey? You Are My Sunshine? Happy Birthday?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 11, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »

If Brian recorded a souped up version of Happy Birthday with Jeff Beck on guitar, I would be convinced that Brian reads this board and is eagerly rubbing his hands with glee thinking 'LETS SEE THEM TRY TO LIKE THIS'

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 12, 2013, 03:27:26 AM »

Danny Boy? Down in the Valley? On Top of Old Smokey? You Are My Sunshine? Happy Birthday?

Twenty quid says it's Shortenin' Bread.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 12, 2013, 03:50:28 AM »

Twenty quid says it's Shortenin' Bread.

First song he ever learned? My expertise, born of experience, suggests Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Baa Baa Black Sheep or In The Night Garden (aka, "Yes My Name Is Iggle Piggle").

“We live in divisive times.”
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 12, 2013, 05:21:12 AM »

I think Gershwin is pretty clearly Brian's best sustained, album-length collection of lead vocals since about Pet Sounds. He actually sounds like a professional singer, with sustained notes and actual phrasing and everything. I saw him during the time he was recording that album -- the fall of 2009 -- and the shows he did then were amazing. Best of his solo career, and the few who got to see them agree. For whatever reason, he was on a creative roll then, and I think he worked on his vocals for that album harder than he has before or since in his solo career.

Disney has some very good leads, but also a few unremarkable ones (basically everything up tempo). And TWGMTR is about the same, with the exception of a Bill and Sue, and some of Shelter, where he sounds mush-mouthed. I give Isn't it Time a pass, because it seems to me he was aiming for a grittier sound on a less-produced tune there. His vocals on the closing suite are pretty much at the level of the Gershwin record, though.

Looking back, I think Imagination sounds all right, but a lot of his leads don't quite sound like a human being. It's not that I'd call it robotic, just that he sounds so ... disconnected, I suppose ... from what he's singing about. That's kind of an issue with Orange Crate Art, too. I will say I really like his lead on the remade "Let Him Run Wild," though.

GIOMH, BWPS and the Christmas record all suffer to a greater or lesser extent from the shouty Brian syndrome, although there are good moments in all three. And he just sounds bizarre on the IJWMFTT soundtrack -- high and reedy and over-emphasizing things. He's never used that approach before or since, which is probably a good thing (I guess it's on the Paley sessions tracks, too).

Has any singer undergone more vocal transformations than Brian Wilson? I know people's voices change over time, but his changes have been so extreme. It's hard to believe it's all the same person.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 12, 2013, 05:47:32 AM »

I think Gershwin is pretty clearly Brian's best sustained, album-length collection of lead vocals since about Pet Sounds. He actually sounds like a professional singer, with sustained notes and actual phrasing and everything. I saw him during the time he was recording that album -- the fall of 2009 -- and the shows he did then were amazing. Best of his solo career, and the few who got to see them agree. For whatever reason, he was on a creative roll then, and I think he worked on his vocals for that album harder than he has before or since in his solo career.

Disney has some very good leads, but also a few unremarkable ones (basically everything up tempo). And TWGMTR is about the same, with the exception of a Bill and Sue, and some of Shelter, where he sounds mush-mouthed. I give Isn't it Time a pass, because it seems to me he was aiming for a grittier sound on a less-produced tune there. His vocals on the closing suite are pretty much at the level of the Gershwin record, though.

Looking back, I think Imagination sounds all right, but a lot of his leads don't quite sound like a human being. It's not that I'd call it robotic, just that he sounds so ... disconnected, I suppose ... from what he's singing about. That's kind of an issue with Orange Crate Art, too. I will say I really like his lead on the remade "Let Him Run Wild," though.

GIOMH, BWPS and the Christmas record all suffer to a greater or lesser extent from the shouty Brian syndrome, although there are good moments in all three. And he just sounds bizarre on the IJWMFTT soundtrack -- high and reedy and over-emphasizing things. He's never used that approach before or since, which is probably a good thing (I guess it's on the Paley sessions tracks, too).

Agreed that he sounds like a professional singer on Gershwin. It is in my 6-pack old car CD player - and, never comes out.  It is a winner!

I don't mind Brian singing his stuff in any unusually phrased or interpreted style, depending on his mood or frame of mind. It is his stuff and part of his "Brian-ish" charm. And don't care if he is off- key. He sings from his heart, first. His "voice" is secondary.

And, it is getting annoying with all the "tweaking" going on, with his and the Beach Boys work; especially live.  I think they are just perfect as they are.  With all these live shows for C50 sold out, the audience must agree as well. People want "live" sounding realistic and "on fire."

(Sorry for the digression.)  Wink

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:48:49 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 12, 2013, 05:49:05 AM »

Hang on... I thought Brian Wilson was a professional singer? Huh
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 12, 2013, 05:51:31 AM »

Yes, he is, but not in the Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra or Perry Como context.

This Gershwin thing, ramped up his status.  Wink

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 12, 2013, 06:00:12 AM »

Yes, he is, but not in the Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra or Perry Como context.

This Gershwin thing, ramped up his status.  Wink

I couldn't agree more. Gorgeous lead vocals on a couple of tracks. Brian turned out to be quite the crooner on BWRG and ITKOD ("Baby Mine").
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 12, 2013, 06:44:37 AM »

Agreed. Listening to the Gershwin/Disney albums is the only time you can close your eyes and actually hear a 65 year old version of the same Brian who made Pet Sounds. There is a quality of voice there you can't find anywhere else pre-1975.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:38:32 AM by pixletwin » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #385 on: June 12, 2013, 08:26:04 AM »

I was remembering that when I was typing my last post. That guy was sooooooo fulla crap!

It's stupid ignorant comments like this that will scare away the "Beach Boy insiders" from wanting to visit this site in the future.

Ray is not full of crap. He's a really nice guy and a good friend to Brian. He certainly knows more about Brian than you do.

Seriously....show a little class. You're embarrassing all of us.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29:16 AM »

"I still remember
Him soundin' sweet and tender
Singin' "Danny Boy" on grandma's lap..."

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 12, 2013, 09:47:52 AM »

During the early part of the C50 tour, the discussion was thick about how Brian seemed to be miserable.  So much so, that a friend of his, Ray L., came on this board to assure that us that he was enjoying himself.  I haven't seen him post since the time that issue came up.

I was remembering that when I was typing my last post. That guy was sooooooo fulla crap! Trying to play it down like it was no big deal. Who was that guy?  Did he really have his finger on the pulse to see what was actually going on?  I know what I saw, and a few others corroborated it. No they weren't insiders or on the tour, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the physical condition of Brian Wilson last year!

Ray Lawlor? Yeah, he is actually one of Brian's best friends, hangs with him in the studio and on tour. I'd say he "has his finger on the pulse" a little more than people who are at the concerts watching from the audience...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 12, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »

I was remembering that when I was typing my last post. That guy was sooooooo fulla crap!

It's stupid ignorant comments like this that will scare away the "Beach Boy insiders" from wanting to visit this site in the future.

Ray is not full of crap. He's a really nice guy and a good friend to Brian. He certainly knows more about Brian than you do.

Seriously - with comments like that, go back to that other board that you hang out at, You know, the one run by the dufus know-it-all who got kicked off of this board for being an asshole. You're two of a kind.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #389 on: June 12, 2013, 10:37:02 AM »

Seriously - with comments like that, go back to that other board that you hang out at, You know, the one run by the dufus know-it-all who got kicked off of this board for being an asshole. You're two of a kind.

"...comments like that..."...you mean well-written and accurate and refraining from juvenile profanity and name-calling?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:38:13 AM by Bubba Ho-Tep » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: June 12, 2013, 10:41:38 AM »

You're embarrassing yourself, dude.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 12, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »

During the early part of the C50 tour, the discussion was thick about how Brian seemed to be miserable.  So much so, that a friend of his, Ray L., came on this board to assure that us that he was enjoying himself.  I haven't seen him post since the time that issue came up.

I was remembering that when I was typing my last post. That guy was sooooooo fulla crap! Trying to play it down like it was no big deal. Who was that guy?  Did he really have his finger on the pulse to see what was actually going on?  I know what I saw, and a few others corroborated it. No they weren't insiders or on the tour, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the physical condition of Brian Wilson last year!

Ray Lawlor? Yeah, he is actually one of Brian's best friends, hangs with him in the studio and on tour. I'd say he "has his finger on the pulse" a little more than people who are at the concerts watching from the audience...

I'll take your word for it, Southbay. At the time he posted, it wasn't representitive of what I saw first hand at all. And that was at the side of the stage and afterwards going to the tour bus (mid June). By some people's accounts, his back improved on the back half of the tour which is a good thing!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:04:28 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 12, 2013, 10:51:14 AM »

"...comments like that..."...you mean well-written and accurate and refraining from juvenile profanity and name-calling?

What did I say to piss you off?? I've hardly posted here lately. Something I say there in the past, Tep? Got a grudge going with me or what? Just looking for an opportunity to pounce? Thought we were on OK terms. But that's OK, if you wanna be like that, that's OK.

Maybe I'm wrong. I've been wrong before, but not that often on this board I don't think! Ha Ha Ha!

P.S. After my post, AGD clarified that Lawlor is legit. That was earlier ( a page or two)  in the thread. I took his word for it back then and that's good enough for me!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:03:38 AM by Mikie » Logged

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #393 on: June 12, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »

I'm just responding to posts as I read them. I didn't even notice it was written by you until after the fact.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 12, 2013, 02:07:44 PM »

Agreed that he sounds like a professional singer on Gershwin. It is in my 6-pack old car CD player - and, never comes out.  It is a winner!

I don't mind Brian singing his stuff in any unusually phrased or interpreted style, depending on his mood or frame of mind. It is his stuff and part of his "Brian-ish" charm. And don't care if he is off- key. He sings from his heart, first. His "voice" is secondary.

And, it is getting annoying with all the "tweaking" going on, with his and the Beach Boys work; especially live.  I think they are just perfect as they are.  With all these live shows for C50 sold out, the audience must agree as well. People want "live" sounding realistic and "on fire."

(Sorry for the digression.)  Wink

I'll just add that while Brian's tone and phrasing on Gershwin and Disney are the best he's had in the studio in years up to those points, there's also a bit of studio magic and tweaking on those releases to help it along (though obviously not to the degree as with Radio). They as much as admitted to "tuning the odd note here and there" on Gershwin (take that as you may), and the actual autotune is quite obvious on "The Like In I Have You." Though, it was also noted how much time and effort he put into wanting to get his vocals the best he could on Gershwin, so the often nice results back that up.

Live is where Brian still clearly struggles the most at times, and I'd argue that while he may sing from the heart, he can also sound absolutely dire and disconnected on occasion in terms of pitch and phrasing. I love the Beach Boys. I love Brian Wilson. But, it's still apparent and sometimes disconcerting and non-pleasurable to me. Just one of those things. Smiley
zachrwolfe
« Reply #395 on: June 12, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:04:58 PM by zatch » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #396 on: June 12, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »

You're probably never gonna get Brian consistantly singing well in a live show-In the many times I've seen him live, he'll do very well in one song and the next one will be off kilter. Gotta remember, the man is scared to death of performing in front of an audience and most likely will always be that way. I've also been lucky enough to have witnessed quite a few soundchecks-he's lighthearted, tells jokes and actually sings very well. Wonder how much of that has been recorded.
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 12, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »

You're probably never gonna get Brian consistantly singing well in a live show-In the many times I've seen him live, he'll do very well in one song and the next one will be off kilter. Gotta remember, the man is scared to death of performing in front of an audience and most likely will always be that way. I've also been lucky enough to have witnessed quite a few soundchecks-he's lighthearted, tells jokes and actually sings very well. Wonder how much of that has been recorded.

The other thing that's been suggested at times is his actual hearing. I've often wondered if he would benefit from an in-ear monitor on stage, though I know many musicians who actually hate using those buggers.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: June 12, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »

That's right... he actually was. Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 12, 2013, 03:55:41 PM »

The other thing that's been suggested at times is his actual hearing. I've often wondered if he would benefit from an in-ear monitor on stage, though I know many musicians who actually hate using those buggers.

Yeah, I've wondered about that too. I bet his pitch, if not perfect, is a heck of a lot better when he has headphones on in the studio. I also wonder how deaf he is ... Tongue
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx