gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BAD Tour/Setlist '13  (Read 72111 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 08, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »

Jeff was irritating, like usual.

No, he wasn't.  Do you know the difference between being irritating and arrogance and joking around, Shady?  Doubt it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Gohi
« Reply #351 on: August 08, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »

I dunno if this is normal Foskett behavior but he was really obnoxious at our show. He would drink bottles of water and toss them behind the stage where the roadies/techs were. He must have used freaking twelve different guitars, none of which were audible (it became funny when he was pretending to play along to "Pet Sounds"). He did this stupid shuffle/dance across the stage several times throughout the show and only stopped when finally the drummer laughed at attempt #5.

So what? I don't see any problem there. I don't think he was playing a bunch of guitars and they weren't turned up. Probably blended in the mix.

Maybe you'd rather see Stamos up there instead?

How about he just uses one guitar that isn't plugged in? And yes I was near the front and none of what he was playing could be heard. I legitimately heard Brian's piano and Al's guitar more times than I heard ol' Fosky's guitar. At times he was even pretending to strum along to parts he didn't know! Seriously! And throwing your water bottles at techs (not exaggerating) is pretty dickish behavior that only THE GREAT BRIAN WILSON could get away with.
Nicko1234
« Reply #352 on: August 08, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »

He has an arrogance and smugness that is pretty easy to pick up on.

Not an easily likable person

Agreed.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 08, 2013, 07:58:23 PM »

I have always liked Jeff, his vocals, his banter, his falsetto, and his own work, so obviously I have nothing against him.

So why all the hate for Jeff?
Besides the things already discussed, what's has he done in the past as touring with brian and/or the beach boys?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: August 08, 2013, 08:39:03 PM »

Now that the Mike threads have calmed a bit, is Jeff now the new Mike?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 08, 2013, 08:41:10 PM »

Always found him friendly and willing to help out. This is based on actually interacting and talking to him and having him at a few functions (not just sitting in the audience at a show ).

Not surprised he'd have the odd bad day if this is any indication of what he must put up with from some fans, especially when looking out for Brian.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 08, 2013, 08:48:50 PM »

I have always liked Jeff, his vocals, his banter, his falsetto, and his own work, so obviously I have nothing against him.

So why all the hate for Jeff?
Besides the things already discussed, what's has he done in the past as touring with brian and/or the beach boys?

There's no hate. It's just Shady riding on someone else's opinion again without knowing what (or who) he's talking about.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 08, 2013, 08:59:01 PM »

Now that the Mike threads have calmed a bit, is Jeff now the new Mike?

There is always a Mike to attack, otherwise we'll have to talk to each other  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 09:01:42 PM by Woodstock » Logged

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 08, 2013, 09:06:02 PM »

Although I'm not at all into his voice, the one time I talked to Jeff he happily hung out with me and my friend and asked us what our favorite songs were and was a very nice guy. He must have hung out for ten minutes, and this was in a restaurant after a show, so he had no obligation to us in any way.
Anyway, my two cents=nice guy!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Nicko1234
« Reply #359 on: August 08, 2013, 10:07:07 PM »

Since I'll *hopefully* be catching the DC show this fall, I took a closer look at the setlist to see just what exactly I'll be seeing (although I'm sure Brian's set will be shorter since Jeff Beck is doing his own thing too)

Why are these guys playing so much early stuff that Mike sang lead on and M&B band carry quite well already? I think of this band as the band that has the oppourtunity to play the deep stuff and really flesh out the 66-73 period...

I counted 12 songs out of the 37 in the set that are lead by Mike on the original recordings. Look at the encore for instance...

All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun, Fun, Fun

...what about that screams Brian Wilson? It reads like a Mike and Bruce set.

Don't get me wrong though, there are some GREAT tracks slipped in that M&B don't touch often...Please Let Me Wonder, Girl Don't Tell Me, Pet Sounds, Our Prayer/Heroes and Villains...SUMMER'S GONE!

anyone else feel this way?

I agree. They could restructure the setlist to make it suit Brian`s current voice a lot more.
Gohi
« Reply #360 on: August 08, 2013, 10:13:22 PM »

I've never liked him but I'm sure if I met him I'd take back all the nasty things I've said about his bad falsetto and unplugged guitars.
Good thing I'll never meet him!  Cool Guy
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 08, 2013, 11:37:04 PM »

Good thing I'll never meet him!  Cool Guy

for him.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 11:40:41 PM by Heywood » Logged
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 09, 2013, 01:14:55 AM »

Just 2 personal experiences

March 6th 2004: On the day of BW's concert in Newcastle (BWPS), a good friend of mine (of Pet Sounds record shop fame) organised a SMiLE party. Lot's of fans attended the party, as well as a few members of the band, including Jeff. I had the change to throw in a new disc in the CD-player, found a SMiLE boot and pressed play, within the minute Jeff was at the counter asking which session track that was. He was genuinly interested in SMiLE stuff at the time. Cool to see.

Sept. 11th 2011: I had already been able to meet and greet Brian and Jeff prior to the the Gateshead gig, one day earlier. Nervous as heck, finally shaking BW's hand for the first time. This second meeting was more relaxed. Got my vinyl copy of TLOS signed, was able to chat a bit with Jeff and got my copy of his Thru My Window CD signed by him as well. I then asked the bold thing if Brian would like to sign an extra item - not for me, but for a friend of mine who wasn't able to take the long trip from Holland to Scotland - and he just said sure, just do it. When I later gave a signed copy of the Caroline No 45 to my friend he was really moved by it (as was I).

Just a few tiny examples perhaps, and nothing earthshaking, but nonetheless for me just positive experiences with Jeff, and convincing enough for me to say that he is a nice guy.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Gohi
« Reply #363 on: August 09, 2013, 05:26:03 AM »

Good thing I'll never meet him!  Cool Guy

for him.
I'm awesome. Look at those sunglasses.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 09, 2013, 05:46:15 AM »

Since I'll *hopefully* be catching the DC show this fall, I took a closer look at the setlist to see just what exactly I'll be seeing (although I'm sure Brian's set will be shorter since Jeff Beck is doing his own thing too)

Why are these guys playing so much early stuff that Mike sang lead on and M&B band carry quite well already? I think of this band as the band that has the oppourtunity to play the deep stuff and really flesh out the 66-73 period...

I counted 12 songs out of the 37 in the set that are lead by Mike on the original recordings. Look at the encore for instance...

All Summer Long
Help Me Rhonda
Barbara Ann
Surfin' USA
Fun, Fun, Fun

...what about that screams Brian Wilson? It reads like a Mike and Bruce set.

Don't get me wrong though, there are some GREAT tracks slipped in that M&B don't touch often...Please Let Me Wonder, Girl Don't Tell Me, Pet Sounds, Our Prayer/Heroes and Villains...SUMMER'S GONE!

anyone else feel this way?

I agree. They could restructure the setlist to make it suit Brian`s current voice a lot more.

Thanks for trying to focus the thread back on topic...
Gohi
« Reply #365 on: August 09, 2013, 05:57:41 AM »

Okay back to the thread topic... BAD was a GREAT show and I wish I could see them again.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 09, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »

I've never liked him but I'm sure if I met him I'd take back all the nasty things I've said about his bad falsetto and unplugged guitars. Good thing I'll never meet him!  Cool Guy

I'll be at the Oakland show in October. I will especially be on the lookout for Jeff's "unplugged" guitars. I'd like to know who would be at all these signings and meet & greets and backstage meetings with Brian if Jeff weren't around. Melinda? Jean Sievers? Darian? Maybe a few, but doubtfully not all. No-brainer - Jeff has helped Brian immensely since 1976. If anything, he's taken a back seat to Al and Dave's guitar playing and just blending in the mix. And I'm sure now that with Jeff Beck's guitar in the fray, that Foskett may be happy standing in the shadows doing vocals for the time being.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:14:07 AM by Mikie » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx