gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:17:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys-Hyde Park July 7th 2013  (Read 82666 times)
Heywood
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2013, 02:31:01 AM »

Sorry I missed this one for the ages.

Most importantly,  how was the Gruffalo?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2013, 04:26:04 AM »

Gruff.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2013, 10:19:49 AM »

Had to double-check today's date.  Thought maybe it was April 1st for a minute there.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 11, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »

What a gemstone! Jasper, malachite, turquoise, ruby and lace agathe in one big uniform boundless universal shape veiling the alpha and the omega.

So glad people finally get to lay ears on this song. Big kudos to Scott T, I get the feeling he is the guy behind this move. I like Foskett, but Scott's really the unsung hero here.

The title Goin' To The Beach is thought evoking in itself and in combination with the catchy and highly seductive chord progression you only feel like one thing: you feel like going to the beach with your best friends for a nice fun in the sun day. It's so colorful and it feels like your mind is washed by a cascade of sparkling cool clear salt water.

Gonna play this for my date the next time I see her. She might like it too and reward me like a pilgrim kneeling by the cradle of seas and rivers. It will be this song, candles, me, her and her resplendent chemise.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:19:34 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2013, 04:41:07 PM »

When listening to "In The Back Of My Mind" it's obvious where Brian was leaning towards, even before making Pet Sounds. With Mike Love's "Kokomo", it seemed that the master of surfing had done it again, this time with an international smash. A poll at the time in Britain listed the most popular bands in Britain as 1) The Beach Boys 2) Rick Astley 3) Tracy Chapman (as Mike often points out nowadays). It is only now we see the genesis of Mike Loves songwriting, "Goin To The Beach" being the obvious inspiration for later hits to come. We live in a great time when these absolute gems become available to the public, no longer only in the hands of the few and fortunate.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:42:41 PM by Woodstock » Logged

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »

I find when listening to the high-pitched moan that is Mike Love's voice caressing my ears, it is as if I am lying on the beach, with my favorite girl in my arms. The breeziness of the expertly chosen key mimics the sounds of waves licking the shore, asking you to come to them, tempting you to jump into their loving embrace. Their backing vocals are reminiscent of the sand underneath your feet, the warm feeling hugging your toes.

The last, bittersweet coda is like driving home. The wind blowing through your hair as Mike stumbles through lyrics of girls and their tans. Pure bliss is achieved as you lean back in your seat, and Mike references songs from 50 years ago.

However, in a move of utmost selfishness, Capitol decided to keep their beach masterpiece under wraps, allowing only a worthy handful of people to enjoy the aural experience of a sweet, summer day.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:12:36 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 13, 2013, 02:43:05 AM »

Don't you people get it!? Mr. Love has you all FOOLED. The song is indeed a masterful satire of the "Beach Boys song", deftly lampooning the group's desperate need to be modish, in itself a flawless critique of social and political values. The "breeziness of the expertly chosen keys" as you so ignorantly mentioned are in fact genially sly attacks at the common listener, juxtaposing the song's feather-light harmonies with its underlying themes of greed and lust, thereby giving us an entirely new perception of the world around us. Truly Love has transcended the Beach Boys song to a level previously thought unthinkable.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx