gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:09:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys-Hyde Park July 7th 2013  (Read 82636 times)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »

I saw Springsteen at Hyde Park last year, and the sound was pretty good until the curfew kicked in and they turned it off during the McCartney cameo appearance.

In two minds about attending.  I've never seen Mike and Bruce's Beach Boys, and was disappointed that my own ignorance let me miss out on their excellent 2008 set list in London.  However, I guess this will be more of a hits affair.  If they are in town anyway, might there be a chance that they announce another gig for July?

Shame there doesn't seem to be any sign of Brian, Al and David coming to the UK at the moment.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »

In two minds about attending.  I've never seen Mike and Bruce's Beach Boys, and was disappointed that my own ignorance let me miss out on their excellent 2008 set list in London.  However, I guess this will be more of a hits affair.  If they are in town anyway, might there be a chance that they announce another gig for July?

Tbh I'm a little surprised we got this second one given the current tour schedule*, as it is they're playing Hyde Park then heading to Paris and then there's Henley two days after. So the optimist may hold out hope for a gig to spring up in the day in-between or any other time. I'm gonna go to this because it's been killing me that I couldn't afford to go to Henley so I think it's the safest bet.

* http://www.beachboysband.net/TOURSCH/BB_TOUR_SCH.htm (doesn't show the Hyde Park gig as of yet)
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »

A: I was at Bruce last year. Great all round in my opinion, and I've been to the venue a few times myself.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 12:00:42 PM »

No, Bruce said on the BBB board before this was announced that they had "another show" (singular) planned for July in the UK. And they're on a very tight schedule. July 3rd they're doing a US date, then July 6 Belgium, then Hyde Park the 7th, Paris the 8th, Henley the 10th then back to Iowa for the 12th.

Even if another date did miraculously appear, it'd be a hits show. They only rehearse up the rarities when they're doing a full tour of theatre venues.

But you should go and see them anyway. Even the hits shows are very good.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 12:11:28 PM »

The image being used by the Hyde Park event website:

oh god, that's too funny  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »

I just know how much I enjoyed Epsom, and getting the setlist that was from Mike's mic stand is a great memoir. is it worth the pain for them again? maybe!

[The tape was from the stage = it's blu-tack'd to the wall.]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 12:51:39 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »

Hey mrmoustachioto I got one of the other setlists from Epsom! Not sure to whom it belonged. I absolutely loved that gig and I'm looking forward to another M&B show if it's anything like that one; and there's more a chance of getting close to the stage than at Wembley at least Razz
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 03:53:38 PM »

I just know how much I enjoyed Epsom, and getting the setlist that was from Mike's mic stand is a great memoir. is it worth the pain for them again? maybe!

Exactly. That was a bare-bones meat-and-potatoes set. just like this one will be. My only concern is that the crowd might not be that into it, being a crowd that's mostly there for a different band. It's a seriously strange line-up...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Nicko1234
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 04:30:30 PM »

Yeah, realistically (all things being equal) would Henley be the better gig to do people think? I'm weighing up whether I will go to either or none. The atmosphere maybe should be better at Henley I suppose but, then again, perhaps it will be entirely populated by posh gits. Possibly the set at Henley may be slightly longer?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:39:11 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 05:11:50 PM »

Yeah, a bunch of kids going to see JLS and The Saturdays might not approve of WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN to say the least - Brian playing Glasto and the Isle Of Wight festivals are the closest parallels, and he went over well there both times, but then the mainstream festival crowd is more tuned to boomer stuff than a gig like this.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »

I'd be there in a heartbeat if it was the real Beach Boys

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 11:23:14 PM »

Go see them if you get the chance. I'm just ticked they won't be playing the Stanislaus County Fair this year like they did in '08 and '10.  Also saw M&B and their great band at 'The Fruit Yard' in Waterford for American Graffiti fest 2005 (in a carved out orchard!) and at the San Juaquin County Fair in Stockton a couple times in the late 90's and early 2000's. Those were great times at the County Fair!  Go West young man, don't be a snob see the group if you can...
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 01:06:34 AM »

Yeah, realistically (all things being equal) would Henley be the better gig to do people think? I'm weighing up whether I will go to either or none. The atmosphere maybe should be better at Henley I suppose but, then again, perhaps it will be entirely populated by posh gits. Possibly the set at Henley may be slightly longer?

The rest of the bill at Henley looks much better -- but not fifty-five quid plus dinner jacket hire costs better. £35 to see Mike & Bruce do their hits is reasonable. £90 isn't.

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 01:57:20 AM »

I bit the bullet and bought tickets. Despite all the warning signs like apparently not-great sound, festival audience, the Gruffalo; it's still the Beach Boys playing Beach Boys songs. To this day I regret not going to the RAH gig but Wembley was a heckuva show to end the C50 on and I also want to experience the Beach Boys as they happened not as some idealised fantasy, not that I feel like I have to explain myself.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 02:04:59 AM »

No, Bruce said on the BBB board before this was announced that they had "another show" (singular) planned for July in the UK. And they're on a very tight schedule. July 3rd they're doing a US date, then July 6 Belgium, then Hyde Park the 7th, Paris the 8th, Henley the 10th then back to Iowa for the 12th.

Even if another date did miraculously appear, it'd be a hits show. They only rehearse up the rarities when they're doing a full tour of theatre venues.

But you should go and see them anyway. Even the hits shows are very good.
Gotta give Mike, Bruce and band credit for their touring stamina, like a machine. That said, being the middle act between bands I never heard of is kinda sad. Though obviously I am not up on trendy bands. Maybe a brilliant showcase for all I know.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 02:41:36 AM »

Gotta give Mike, Bruce and band credit for their touring stamina, like a machine. That said, being the middle act between bands I never heard of is kinda sad. Though obviously I am not up on trendy bands. Maybe a brilliant showcase for all I know.

JLS are a boy band -- absolutely huge over here, nothing anywhere else. They just split up and this is their farewell tour. The Saturdays are a middlingly famous girl group who've had their own TV series and headline arena tours, but who I've managed to be unaware of. My wife says they're quite good if you like that sort of thing.

There's certainly no shame in being on as the middle act between two bands who sell out arenas on their own merits, but it's a very, very odd bill for them to be on. I suspect, actually, that they will have been asked to do one of the other shows there and had to reschedule or something, because the other lineups (the Stones one night, Elton John, Ray Davies and Elvis Costello another) sound much more suitable. I've no idea how they'll go down with a largely teen and pre-teen audience...

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 06:31:04 AM »

Maybe they should dust off "Hey Little Tomboy"
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 06:39:50 AM »

Huh Just what is the Gruffalo? An ill-mannered buffalo?  Huh

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 06:45:53 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gruffalo

Very popular children's book/cartoon.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 07:02:12 AM »

I wonder if Mike will dust off his stage banter from 1964? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
jman1995
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 04:51:44 AM »

How long exactly is a 'hits set' or otherwise???
Nicko1234
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2013, 05:21:49 AM »

It varies but around 30 songs or less normally.

As this is a festival bill then I would be surprised if the set was that long to be honest. An hour or just over maybe?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2013, 05:25:29 AM »

It varies but around 30 songs or less normally.

As this is a festival bill then I would be surprised if the set was that long to be honest. An hour or just over maybe?

The only time I've ever seen them perform as a support act (in 2001) it was 25 songs. Given the nature of the bill, and normal festival performance lengths, I'd guess 90 minutes/30 songs would be about right. The reunion tour did 31 songs at Bonnaroo, which was another festival show.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2013, 11:25:40 AM »

That's The Gruffalo, behind Bruce.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2013, 11:56:10 AM »

Anyone else just looked at that picture of 'the Beach Boys' - the band supposedly behind songs such as God Only Knows, Cabin Essence and Cuddle Up - stood beside JLS and the Gruffalo and just completely lost the will to live? Because I have.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx