gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:40:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys-Hyde Park July 7th 2013  (Read 82964 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »

I thought Goin' To The Beach sounded alright...it certainly fits the show. Just not an encore song after its debut...

Indeed. It would fit better in amongst the early surf numbers.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2013, 09:31:14 PM »

OMG, this is what we are getting instead of "Carry Me Home"?   Wall

No sense paying Blondie any more than they already are. Roll Eyes
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2013, 09:39:32 PM »

It sounds great with the band, the song itself is just kinda weak. It seems like it only has one real verse . I can see why it's gone unreleased. But cool of Mike to play it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:01:15 AM by tpesky » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2013, 09:40:24 PM »

OMG, this is what we are getting instead of "Carry Me Home"?   Wall

No sense paying Blondie any more than they already are. Roll Eyes
Ha, might be it. Blondie is not a Mike fan.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Gohi
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »

That "Isn't It Time" performance is absolutely dire imo. I miss Al.
Nicko1234
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2013, 09:59:10 PM »

Yes but Mike doesn't have to let BRI decide what he puts into the live show. I'll be very surprised if we get ANY more "songs from the vault" in Mike and Bruce's set this summer.

As there are only about a dozen songs that have yet to be released in any form then that is a near certainty. I can imagine one or two of the album tracks being added to the setlist though.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2013, 10:23:53 PM »

Yes but Mike doesn't have to let BRI decide what he puts into the live show. I'll be very surprised if we get ANY more "songs from the vault" in Mike and Bruce's set this summer.

As there are only about a dozen songs that have yet to be released in any form then that is a near certainty. I can imagine one or two of the album tracks being added to the setlist though.

I'd seriously dispute that. Just got to the end of the 'C' section at 10452, and there's 19...  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:25:53 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2013, 10:35:07 PM »

I'll bet they're going to play the instrumental version of "Transcendental Meditation". First, it's about TM and second, it'd give Mike a chance to play the sax. angel
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2013, 11:21:19 PM »

Well can't say that Goin' To The Beach ends up interesting.. very simple and short song, a nice little melody but that gets forgotten just right when the song ends, i can understand why this was left off and never used/talked about again, nothing memorable, as for the lyrics, i guess it's just Mike Love tryin' to make another Do It Again stuff, just didn't really work that time around.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2013, 11:30:31 PM »

The song is what it is (I wonder if the studio version is really so short) but I think it's fantastic that they still sometimes include rare/odd/unreleased songs.
Kudos to Scott for making it happen and to Mike for letting it happen.

Nicko1234
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2013, 11:43:23 PM »

I'd seriously dispute that. Just got to the end of the 'C' section at 10452, and there's 19...  Smiley

That have never been released in any form??? (and we were talking about the songs on MiC in case you missed that)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:53:09 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2013, 11:44:36 PM »

Double post
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:52:56 PM by Nicko1234 » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »

I'd seriously dispute that. Just got to the end of the 'C' section at 10452, and there's 19...  Smiley

That have never been released in any form??? (and we were talking about the songs on MiC in case you missed that)

You might have been but Rubbersoul13 switched to talking about "from the vault". That's how I read it…

“We live in divisive times.”
Nicko1234
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2013, 12:18:14 AM »

You might have been but Rubbersoul13 switched to talking about "from the vault". That's how I read it…

I think it goes without saying though that they aren`t going to perform any songs that have no immediate possibility of release.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2013, 12:36:30 AM »

I think it goes without saying though that they aren`t going to perform any songs that have no immediate possibility of release.

Absolutely. I'm gobsmacked that they even did Goin' To The Beach (and almost regretting going for a walk in the sunshine instead of going to Hyde Park!); assume there was no mention in the pre-amble of the box set (which incidentally just took a price drop at Amazon UK).

Nicko1234
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2013, 12:41:36 AM »

Absolutely. I'm gobsmacked that they even did Goin' To The Beach (and almost regretting going for a walk in the sunshine instead of going to Hyde Park!); assume there was no mention in the pre-amble of the box set (which incidentally just took a price drop at Amazon UK).

I concur. This is one of the more bizarre setlists that Mike and Bruce have performed imo. They were playing in front of a festival crowd and could only do 20 songs and yet thought Goin to the Beach and Isn`t it Time would be more suitable than Cottonfields, Do you Wanna Dance, Rock and Roll Music etc. Bizarro.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2013, 12:46:16 AM »

I concur. This is one of the more bizarre setlists that Mike and Bruce have performed imo. They were playing in front of a festival crowd and could only do 20 songs and yet thought Goin to the Beach and Isn`t it Time would be more suitable than Cottonfields, Do you Wanna Dance, Rock and Roll Music etc. Bizarro.

I honestly think Goin' To The Breach was for fans like us. They're keenly aware that they don't get to tour as they ought here and so they slip things like this into their festival sets to please the hardcore fans. It might not be everyone's fave unreleased track but it is a treat to hear an unreleased track (see We Gor Love thread) once in a while.

And Going to the Beach does have some catchy hooks… Scott plays a mean (albeit brief) guitar break there)… the original could perhaps have been improved with some thoughtful production…

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2013, 01:05:47 AM »

So when Mike starts a concert by playing "Mike Love Not War" from start to finish, I think we'll all have reason to get excited  Grin

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2013, 02:38:00 AM »

Just got back, ace show. Was very taken aback by "Goin' to the Beach". They packed a lot into their hour yet those dang beach balls provided more entertainment for the young girls around us at the front.

How was "Goin' to the Beach"?

Sounded grand and actually got the crowd going, I strongly disagree with the people who think it didn't make a good encore; they tried something new and it went down smoothly. They were the only act to get called back for an encore (I left before JLS so I'm not sure if they did) and I thought it was over after Fun, Fun, Fun. The band seemed caught off-guard by being asked for an encore it seemed and when they said they'd do "one more" I thought "OK so maybe Surfin' USA?" only to be pleasantly surprised and pretty gob-smacked.

All the criticisms I've read here are, with all due respect, unfounded. A gig is so much more than YouTube videos. The crowd was annoying at times and the beach balls were a nuisance (because I'm a killjoy) but the show was better than what I expected - obviously the sound is thinner than the C50 shows but that's kind of a given really and is of little consequence. Then again these kind of criticisms come with the territory of this board alongside the usual OSD trolling, though it's not like anyone takes it seriously LOL

The main reason I went to this gig was because I thought the £90 for the Henley concert was extortionate but now I'd actually gladly (well maybe slightly-begrudgingly) hand over that cash to see these guys play again. Although I won't because I'll never be able to justify that to myself Roll Eyes
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2013, 02:46:44 AM »

They should have played "Match point of our love" to chime with the UK's current tennis mania.

Please delete my account
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2013, 03:54:40 AM »

Really enjoyed that, had a nice summery vibe to it. Thank you Mike for digging it out for us, made my day.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2013, 05:22:57 AM »

This is what we're getting instead of Big Sur 4/4 and I've Got A Friend?

I watched them work out a part of "Goin' To The Beach" on the "Making of the Keepin' The Summer Alive" album on TV (and video). After watching that recording session back in 1979, I remember being glad they didn't release it. I was bored with it then and I'm bored with it now.

P.S. This ain't encore material!  Stick with Wild Honey!

Amen. Mike's been bleating on about this years. It's clearly a favourite topic of his. But, jeez, Mike, you're the guy who wrote Warmth of the Sun. If you'd done nothing else, ever, that should be enough to earn our respect and admiration. But this...? I suppose its presence on the box is some kind of compromise, but at the expense of what?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2013, 05:24:04 AM »

So fucking sad. Boils down to luHv who will stoop to unbelievable, record setting lows to make a buck. Would luHv it if BRI said keep the money and the name will go to Brian and his group. I mean this is simply gawd awful crap. Shocked
Agreed, this "vault track" is a total joke and didn't come out for reason. Mike is obsessed with the superficial beach image of the BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2013, 05:40:23 AM »

Going to the beach... going to the beach...  gosh! It's so direct, you know?

Nicko1234
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2013, 05:46:00 AM »

Agreed, this "vault track" is a total joke and didn't come out for reason. Mike is obsessed with the superficial beach image of the BBs.

When you heard it was destined for MiC, what exactly were you expecting the subject matter to be?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx