gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 11:40:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Coolness of 'Holland'  (Read 9213 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »

Any track which samples a steam engine gets my vote for sheer radness, but I love the lolloping rhythm of the track - that and Blondies slide break, so damn cool.

Funky Pretty always seemed a bit, idk, aimless? Compositionally,  I guess. I love the burbling synths, but the song sounds like the product of a dude smoking incredibly strong weed for three weeks except for the crucial distinction that it sounds boring. But I do love me some Holland.

Hype! I'm surprised you find Funky Pretty boring! I can kinda see where you're coming from, but I've always seen it as kind of a cosmic masterpiece - one of the few Brian Wilson songs that seems bigger than the song itself, if that makes sense. To each his own though Cool

Man now I really want to make that transition that u describe but I'm jamming the Stevie Wonder on the vinyl - now THOSE are cosmic moog masterpieces!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Lonelysea30
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2013, 08:20:56 PM »

What an album.. I mean totally different but brilliant. Trader, steamboat, sail on sailor, brians weird tracks? I mean goddam what a different out of the box album.  I listen to it through and  I'm glad there are others who appreciate
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2013, 09:55:57 PM »

I think Holland is probably the most listenable Beach Boys LP from beginning to end. Not the best or even in the top 5, but it has a consistency throughout, the quality level never sags. Its a mature and competent statement. For once the quality control was splendid.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2013, 12:59:41 AM »

Any track which samples a steam engine gets my vote for sheer radness, but I love the lolloping rhythm of the track - that and Blondies slide break, so damn cool.

Funky Pretty always seemed a bit, idk, aimless? Compositionally,  I guess. I love the burbling synths, but the song sounds like the product of a dude smoking incredibly strong weed for three weeks except for the crucial distinction that it sounds boring. But I do love me some Holland.

Hype! I'm surprised you find Funky Pretty boring! I can kinda see where you're coming from, but I've always seen it as kind of a cosmic masterpiece - one of the few Brian Wilson songs that seems bigger than the song itself, if that makes sense. To each his own though Cool

Man now I really want to make that transition that u describe but I'm jamming the Stevie Wonder on the vinyl - now THOSE are cosmic moog masterpieces!

Do you think maybe a problem with "Funky Pretty" is that it has "Funky" in the title, which leads people to expect it to be something it's not? I don't like funk much, so I love "Funky Pretty" because it's not very funky, not in spite of that fact. It's just great melodies and stirring vocals all the way through.

Please delete my account
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2013, 01:16:27 AM »

How did the hipster burn his mouth?

He ate pizza BEFORE it was cool.
TMinthePM
Smiley Smile Associate

How can I show you Zen if you do not first empty y

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2013, 03:27:37 AM »

Definitely a primo-stoner album of the early 70s. We would alternate between Beach Boys and Stevie Wonder for hours. As someone mentioned above, Holland and CATP are basically the same album. I always felt that Funky Pretty, great tune that it is, was not quite right as a closing cut. ( I always think of Laurel, my own Funky Pretty with her long brown hair, when I hear it). So I mixed Holland and CATP with Cuddle Up as the closer.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2013, 04:43:24 AM »

They should've closed the album with Mt. Vernon and Fairway. It's really unfortunate the fairy tale was included as a separate 7" record. Not a cool move by Carl or whoever had the final say here. I like the way that Mt. Vernon seems to sabotage the serious nature of what's on the actual album. Mind you, I love Holland from start to finish, wonderful album, and still I think it benefits from the quirky humor that's added with Mt. Vernon (and, to a lesser extent, Funky Pretty).
MBE
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2013, 05:18:33 AM »

Holland is great but it took me longer than say Sunflower to get into. I just wish Brian and Dennis sang a bit more on it since their voices were still clear.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »

I think Holland is probably the most listenable Beach Boys LP from beginning to end. Not the best or even in the top 5, but it has a consistency throughout, the quality level never sags. Its a mature and competent statement. For once the quality control was splendid.

Hmmm... ummmm... never mind. Roll Eyes

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2013, 01:11:29 PM »

+1 ..... I only disagree in that, to me it's at the absolute top of the Beach Boy heap
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2013, 02:22:47 PM »

Come on. The Beach Boys had a pretty good record of releasing filler-less albums pre-Holland

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2013, 02:43:08 PM »

Holland's alright, though I honestly think I prefer Mt. Vernon and Fairway  LOL

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Nicko1234
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2013, 03:37:17 PM »

They should've closed the album with Mt. Vernon and Fairway. It's really unfortunate the fairy tale was included as a separate 7" record. Not a cool move by Carl or whoever had the final say here. I like the way that Mt. Vernon seems to sabotage the serious nature of what's on the actual album. Mind you, I love Holland from start to finish, wonderful album, and still I think it benefits from the quirky humor that's added with Mt. Vernon (and, to a lesser extent, Funky Pretty).

I think that was a great move by Carl. The fairytale would have completely unbalanced the album but including it as a 7" allowed people to hear it without it really affecting the reputation of the record.

I think Holland is rightly revered as one of the band's best albums. I remember one of the BBC documentaries from a few years ago lavishing praise on this album in particular and rightly so.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2013, 05:03:44 PM »

Holland's alright, though I honestly think I prefer Mt. Vernon and Fairway  LOL

But isn't Mount Vernon & Faifrway a part of Holland?

I dunno. I think it is. Kinda like how the "Something's Extra" 7inch that came with Songs In The Key Of Life is still a part of that album.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2013, 07:14:01 PM »

In the "Holland Improvement" department, while residing in the stratosphere of all BB albums, I was often left wondering (and a bit cheated) as to what those tidbits of sonic beauty on Mt. Vernon may have sounded had they been fully realized by Brian or Carl or both. If they were meant to be only fragments, then so be it, but they were pure genius in every respect. Are there tapes in the vault? Were they from other or future projects? Brilliant music.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:15:38 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2013, 07:58:34 PM »

In the "Holland Improvement" department, while residing in the stratosphere of all BB albums, I was often left wondering (and a bit cheated) as to what those tidbits of sonic beauty on Mt. Vernon may have sounded had they been fully realized by Brian or Carl or both. If they were meant to be only fragments, then so be it, but they were pure genius in every respect. Are there tapes in the vault? Were they from other or future projects? Brilliant music.
You are absolutely right, even as " Fairy Tale Music" on the GV Box Set the music is just stunning.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2013, 11:56:25 PM »

Oh hecks yeah. Some of the little tidbits on there are great. I wish the whole thing had been longer.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2013, 04:23:24 AM »

Old Surfer, I knew that you can be better than just state over & over negativity about Mike & Bruce (mostly the former). So, very well said! Go on in this direction.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »

Oh hecks yeah. Some of the little tidbits on there are great. I wish the whole thing had been longer.

All of this times infinity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2013, 07:29:58 PM »

No one here think the Mount Vernon 7inch is a piece of sheer perfection as-is?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »

Although a bit silly, the narrative could be a statement from Brian about the dismal state of radio playlists at the time. The music, while brillianr, is a major tease indeed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2013, 09:38:03 PM »

Although a bit silly, the narrative could be a statement from Brian about the dismal state of radio playlists at the time. The music, while brillianr, is a major tease indeed.

Agreed. My "go to" for the "Mount Vernon and Fairway" material is "Fairy Tale Music" from the '93 box set. You're left with the music and the singing and none of the narration.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2013, 04:13:04 AM »

I had a dream where the song fragments were padded out, there was a Beach Boys version of "Sweet Mountain" and a completed version of "Can't Wait too Long" with the whole 1973 synth aesthetic was the album's lead single. It was bitchin' and had me dreaming of alternate timelines for the whole day.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx