gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:14:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Coolness of 'Holland'  (Read 9187 times)
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 11:49:32 AM »

I would love to listen to a Dennis version of "Fourth of July". Carl's vocals are lacking IMO. But his "Only with you" doesn't add much, I'm afraid to say.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 11:59:41 AM »

Carl's version of "Only With You" is the far superior version, in my opinion. 

Holland is easily in my 3 favorite Beach Boys' albums...and I'd agree that it is one of the coolest, hippest sounding of their records, along with So Tough

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »

It's not just Smile that the young hipsters are into Smiley

ANYWAY, the NME isn't hipster, or cool, or anything...i

NME's claim to discovering Brighton is the new Birmingham in the article is the absolute definition of the modern hipster!

That's insane - there's like, absolutely no scene here, even the musicians I know here complain about it. Their hack had one too many beers down at The Great Escape, I reckon.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
DMBeard_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 10:53:44 PM »

Hope everyone who loves Holland has the 100th edition of ESQ.

http://www.esquarterly.com/merchandise.html#spring2013

In Music,
David
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 11:09:39 PM »

I don't know why people like this record so much. It just sounds like a dull 70s rock album to me...
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 12:20:33 AM »

I don't know why people like this record so much. It just sounds like a dull 70s rock album to me...

It's because we're dull, 70's rock guys.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 01:52:16 AM »

What other 70s rock record sounds even remotely similar to "Funky Pretty" or "Radio King Dom"? I'd love to hear it!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 03:24:57 AM »

The album's sound is very much of its time, but listen to the songs. The most gifted guys of their time singing some of the greatest songs of their career (aside from Brian). I think that's enough reason.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2013, 03:32:38 AM »

There's certainly an element of that, and it's the band's most overrated album, but... other than Carl & The Passions, and bits of Surf's Up there is no other record that I've ever heard that has the particular sound that Holland does. That combination of 'futuristic' squelchy Moog with 'rootsy' banjo and steel guitar is an absolutely unique sound to this period of the Beach Boys, and it suggests whole roads not taken in popular music.

Half the album is, frankly, dull sludge, but the other half more than makes up for it. And even the dull sludge was *ambitious* dull sludge, which can't be said of any Beach Boys album after 1979. Their reach just exceeded their grasp.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2013, 03:49:36 AM »

There's certainly an element of that, and it's the band's most overrated album, but... other than Carl & The Passions, and bits of Surf's Up there is no other record that I've ever heard that has the particular sound that Holland does. That combination of 'futuristic' squelchy Moog with 'rootsy' banjo and steel guitar is an absolutely unique sound to this period of the Beach Boys, and it suggests whole roads not taken in popular music.

Half the album is, frankly, dull sludge, but the other half more than makes up for it. And even the dull sludge was *ambitious* dull sludge, which can't be said of any Beach Boys album after 1979. Their reach just exceeded their grasp.
Andrew, I am proud of you. That sounds just like what a 70s Rock Reviewer would write. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2013, 05:33:45 AM »

What exactly counts as dull sludge? The only song I'd say is a bit on the dull side is Leaving this town, but even it really takes flight during the spacy solo section. And just for the record, I absolutely refuse to count Beak of the Eagles as DS! Love it, spoken words and all.

But when it comes to dull sludge, CATP is quite another story...

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2013, 05:46:43 AM »

What exactly counts as dull sludge? The only song I'd say is a bit on the dull side is Leaving this town, but even it really takes flight during the spacy solo section. And just for the record, I absolutely refuse to count Beak of the Eagles as DS! Love it, spoken words and all.

Leaving This Town, Steamboat and Beaks Of Eagles were what I was thinking of. The main problem with Beaks Of Eagles is the poetry. The bits by Al are quite nice, but I find Jeffers' poetry fairly revolting.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 07:27:33 AM »

Holland is the last truly great Beach Boys album. I'll qualify that by saying that there are moments of greatness in their later output, but Holland was the last time that all of the elements were in place.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2013, 08:26:12 AM »

Holland and CATP I just always merge as a single work, notwithstanding release dates.  It seems to fulfill a vision of Carl, reflective of his socio-political philosophies.  Steamboat is sort of analagous to literary "onomatopoeia" with the instrumentation replicating the sonoric slogginess of a Steamboat, reminiscent of the Mark Twain authorship era in American Literature.  It's probably OK as a studio release, but, Leaving This Town, I think is an absolute masterpiece, particularly performed live on the 73/74 Concert album.  The pinnacle of their backing band, was that era as well. Amazing talent.

The collective work of Ricky, Blondie, Carl and Mike captures the essence of tortured lost love, whose anguish is unrelieved by a geography shift.  Holland provided the opportunity to metaphorically reflect from the other side of the Atlantic, in a more open and worldly context, having left behind the accoutrements of their formation and stereotype. (Girls/cars/surf) And, the natural place for its' AirPlay - fm radio.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2013, 08:41:32 AM »

Brian's idea for a whole album like "Mount Vernon and the Fairway" would have been an interesting release.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »

I live in a "hip" area of Los Angeles and .......

Little Armenia???

Cool Guy

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2013, 09:14:58 AM »

You're no "Lady" for making this statement, Xoc!!! Even though there is more than a grain of truth in it...overall, the songs are a bit too Moog-y and mid-tempo. I would have to say that it's a record that produces one of the most variable responses for me--sometimes I will let it play through and really enjoy it; other times (a good bit more often) I will skip through it and listen to only two or three songs.

I will say that "The Trader" might just be the most underrated great song in the BB canon--Carl's best solo songwriting for the band. Using the "internal to each album" ranking system it grades out in the Top 25 of all BB songs, a ranking level that I suspect would be astonishing to most.

According to the polls, Holland and Love You have identical rankings (4.21 out of 5; oddly, this is also the average for Wild Honey). What I've taken to calling the "Masterpiece Quotient" (MQ)--the percentage of the votes that place the record at 5 out of 5--is 43% for Holland, 54% for Love You (a different kind of 70s record to be sure).

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2013, 09:22:46 AM »

I would love to listen to a Dennis version of "Fourth of July". Carl's vocals are lacking IMO. But his "Only with you" doesn't add much, I'm afraid to say.

I prefer the Dennis solo version mainly for it's more upbeat ending.

Holland's my second favourite Beach Boys album, it's the album for BB fans who can accept music from the group which doen't sound like typical BB's music. I think Leaving This Town is awesome.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2013, 11:01:17 AM »

I'm really, really glad that people think Holland is cool. But for me personally, man, I just find it incredibly boring. I like the cover, but it is drab and sets the whole tone for the record. There's not a song on it that I love....
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2013, 12:00:37 PM »

To me, hipster used to mean someone who was into jazz, smoked gauloise, read Nietsche etc.

I used to be a hipster, drank Metaxa, smoked Gauloises but read Thomas Mann instead of Nietsche.  Man, those Gauloises will kill ya!  3D

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2013, 12:49:17 PM »

Leaving This Town, Steamboat and Beaks Of Eagles were what I was thinking of. The main problem with Beaks Of Eagles is the poetry. The bits by Al are quite nice, but I find Jeffers' poetry fairly revolting.

Steamboat is a fantastic track! You cannot throw it down next to BOE and LTT
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »

Yes I can. It's about two minutes too long, Carl sounds tired and it's mostly just two chords. It's better than those two, but it's still a comparatively weak track.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2013, 01:31:16 PM »

Any track which samples a steam engine gets my vote for sheer radness, but I love the lolloping rhythm of the track - that and Blondies slide break, so damn cool.

Funky Pretty always seemed a bit, idk, aimless? Compositionally,  I guess. I love the burbling synths, but the song sounds like the product of a dude smoking incredibly strong weed for three weeks except for the crucial distinction that it sounds boring. But I do love me some Holland.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 01:32:40 PM by hypehat » Logged

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2013, 01:41:21 PM »

Any track which samples a steam engine gets my vote for sheer radness, but I love the lolloping rhythm of the track - that and Blondies slide break, so damn cool.

Funky Pretty always seemed a bit, idk, aimless? Compositionally,  I guess. I love the burbling synths, but the song sounds like the product of a dude smoking incredibly strong weed for three weeks except for the crucial distinction that it sounds boring. But I do love me some Holland.

Hype! I'm surprised you find Funky Pretty boring! I can kinda see where you're coming from, but I've always seen it as kind of a cosmic masterpiece - one of the few Brian Wilson songs that seems bigger than the song itself, if that makes sense. To each his own though Cool

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2013, 02:00:13 PM »

Yes I can. It's about two minutes too long, Carl sounds tired and it's mostly just two chords. It's better than those two, but it's still a comparatively weak track.
The tune has so much atmosphere, that it almost epitomizes the whole Holland concept. When I look at the Holland cover, Steamboat is the first thing that I think of and start singing. Great tune from Dennis, imho.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.