gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:05:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Doors' Ray Manzarek dies at 74  (Read 19323 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2013, 08:39:39 AM »

Still remembering Ray, and his friend and bandmate, Jim Morrison, who would've been 70 years old today.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »

Still missin' Ray. Thought you might enjoy this:

http://youtu.be/yCgefBzbP2A
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2014, 07:33:24 PM »

The thing that always got me was that the Doors had no bass player! Ray was their keyboard player AND their bass player.

Yeah very impressive in my opinion.  Most people would have done that by just playing the two keyboards like 1 keyboard, but he never did that.  He'd play two melodies at the same time, how in the hell is that even possible.  Never got how he was able to pull that off.

Another thing too, I believe I read that they had a bass player in the studio on many of the songs.  So think about THAT sh*t.  When they got to concert, not only was he playing two seperate melodies at the same time, he wasn't even playing something comfortable to play, he was covering another dude's bass line!

Extremely talented guy. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »

Still missin' Ray. Thought you might enjoy this:

http://youtu.be/yCgefBzbP2A
I was just thinking about Ray last night, oddly enough. Man, I really miss him.  Sad Not only his music,  but his whole mentality and views about certain things. It was comforting to know that a guy like Ray existed in the world, you know? In a way, after Jerry Garcia Ray Manzarek was like the quintessential hippie. He believed in being free and having fun, being kind to one another, and just digging the music.  Cool

Please don't ask me my direction
Let my tracks be buried in the sea
'Cause to wander is my infection
'Till the four winds bring you back to me
Don't count your memories
Think of me as just a dream
Just like this melody, I sing

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2014, 05:24:09 PM »

It's been close to a year, and I still can't believe it!

He was my favourite Doors member, and my all-time favourite keyboardist.

It was Ray who is the main reason why I still enjoyed the Post-Morrison Doors albums.

But I guess with him gone, the Doors are really finished. I like Robby and John, but they're no Ray or Jim.

R.I.P.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2014, 09:32:45 AM »

Ray would've been 75 years old February 12th....

I'm still not hearing The Doors' music the way I used to. This only happened a few other times, when John Lennon, Carl Wilson, Perry Como (due to his Christmas music in my childhood years), and recently, when Lou Reed passed. Does anybody else ever experience that feeling? Like, it's just not the same...You go through a period of adjustment. It's like the music - hell, the world - isn't the same without that artist in it. Feeling sorry for yourself, I guess. Life moves on. You move on. Hopefully. Eventually.

I first "discovered" The Doors in the summer of 1971. I was a young kid, and I didn't realize that all of these Doors' songs were being played on AM radio because a guy named Jim Morrison just died. My older sister bought this Doors' comp, 13, told me about Jim Morrison, and things were never the same again. The first new Doors album I bought was Other Voices (because it was on sale; there were a lot of them in The Doors' slot) and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Then I bought Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine. Oh, man....Then L.A. Woman, then Full Circle, then Absolutely Live (in a bargain bin!), until I had 'em all.

Of course Jim Morrison was "the man"; as a young kid about to become a teenager, you wanted to look like Jim, sing like Jim, be like Jim (or the Jim you thought he was). But it was the music, the Doors' sound that hooked me. The first Doors' song that I was obsessed with was "Light My Fire". I used to play this game every night where I wouldn't go to sleep until I heard "Light My Fire" on my $8.00 Panasonic transistor radio. I would scour AM radio stations like WLS, WABC, and WFIL, turning the dial slowly but constantly until I heard it - and I ALWAYS found it! There was nothing like it as young music fan, hearing Ray's organ solo on AM radio, in the dead of the night, on a radio station across the country.

I was devastated when The Doors eventually broke up after Full Circle. Keep in mind this was 1973, and the only way I could find inside music news was by going to the local magazine store and reading Circus and Creem. There were no message boards, so you couldn't discuss it with anyone. I didn't have (m)any friends who were into The Doors. But, then I was excited to read about the impending Ray Manzarek solo album and the Robby & John-led Butts Band album.

I had only been a Doors' fan for about three years when Ray's first solo album, The Golden Scarab, was released. I played the hell out of that album. I studied it, loved it; it was a "different" album, but Ray's performance was great. It wasn't long before The Whole Thing Started With Rock And Roll Now It's Out Of Control Came Out, and then Ray's post-solo band, Nite City, was formed. Nite City only released one album but it was a great one.

Ray's solo excursions were kind of critically acclaimed, but they never caught on commercially.I felt sad for Ray; I felt like his biggest fan. I mean, I didn't know anybody who was listening continuously to The Golden Scarab! Ray's solo music was very important to me at that time. I didn't have a lot of money to be buying records, so you played the ones you had over and over. Around this time (1974-75-76), I was starting to get hooked on this surfin' group, The Beach Boys - again because of my older sister who purchased this album called Endless Summer. But, The Doors and especially Ray's solo albums held their own while I was being converted to the gospel according to Brian Wilson.

I always hoped that Ray, Robby, and John would reunite and record again, maybe under some moniker like Ray, Robby, & John or Manzarek, Krieger, and Densmore or KDM or anything! Those guys had a chemistry and it's a shame that it ended so prematurely. There was that American Prayer poetry album, and the MTV Storytellers reunion, but I really thought they would record an album again. Doesn't everybody reunite! It's not that Ray and Robby stopped writing and playing. This isn't a post to address those Doors Of The 21st Century or Riders On The Storm projects.

I know Ray's verbosity turned off some people, but I always enjoyed it when he popped up in interviews. He was The Doors' and Jim's biggest fan, and I loved him for that. Ray always appeared upbeat and enthusiastic, but I always wondered if, deep down inside, he was still suffering and feeling the loss, the loss of Jim, and the loss of The Doors who still had a lot to offer after L.A. Woman. I hoped that Ray had a happy life, with his wife Dorothy, his son, Pablo, and his grandchildren. We know his musical chops  remained in tact, and, although I have mixed feelings about those Doors' off-shoot performances without John Densmore, I was glad that Ray and Robby could get together again and perform their music to adoring fans. Ray really appeared to enjoy that, Robby has stated as such, as did the fans who attended the shows.

Finally, Ray seemed like a genuinely nice man. I had read that he always had time for the fans. Even with The Doors' enduring record sales and the familiarity of their "sound" and Ray's name appearing near the top of keyboard polls, I still don't think the man received the credit he was due. You know the music, the Doors' sound, the organ/piano parts, but do you know the name of the man who created those sounds? Jim's name recognition is off the charts, but only real music fans know the other names, the other voices.

When Ray died, I felt like it, the whole Doors' thing, was finally joining the past. I know that sounds strange, with Jim being dead for 42 years and the band having not released an album in 40 years. But, with Ray being alive, it was as if the Doors were still alive. I can't explain it....Ray just had a way, through his interviews, of keeping The Doors in the present tense. Yeah, Jim was gone, but you still had The Doors, if that makes sense. When I heard a Doors' song on the radio or TV, just knowing that Ray (or Robby and John) was around and could still duplicate the sound, well, that was enough for me.

I wish I would've seen Ray in concert over the last 40 years. Damn, I could kick myself; he was certainly around. I wish I could've shook his hand, and I wish I could've said "Thank you, Ray".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2014, 02:47:55 PM »

What a great tribute Sheriff! Beautifully written.

I was lucky to have seen the "Doors of the 21st Century" in a small club in Honolulu. Just standing a mere 10 feet from Ray and Robby, I was mesmerized by their masterful interplay for the nearly two hour show. Ray and Robbie were a monster duo musically. I will never forget that show. It wasn't the Doors but musically it was amazing!
(I wonder sometimes what happened to the album Ray and Robby were recording with Ian Astbury)

I highly recommend Ray's "Love Her Madly" album. A fav along with Scarab.

Another favorite lost last year, Alvin Lee. As I watched Paul rock it over to Billy Shears on CBS last week, it hit hard that my idols as a youth will all be gone soon (atleast, from the stage). Bittersweet moment.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »

I was lucky to have seen the "Doors of the 21st Century" in a small club in Honolulu. Just standing a mere 10 feet from Ray and Robby, I was mesmerized by their masterful interplay for the nearly two hour show. Ray and Robbie were a monster duo musically. I will never forget that show. It wasn't the Doors but musically it was amazing!
(I wonder sometimes what happened to the album Ray and Robby were recording with Ian Astbury)

Another favorite lost last year, Alvin Lee. As I watched Paul rock it over to Billy Shears on CBS last week, it hit hard that my idols as a youth will all be gone soon (atleast, from the stage). Bittersweet moment.

Thanks, OregonRiverRider.

Yes, you are lucky to have experienced Ray & Robby live. As I wrote above, it will always be a big regret of mine not to have seen them.

As far as The Doors of The 21st Century, there is an officially released DVD (available at Amazon) called The Doors Of The 21st century: L.A. Woman Live (2004). There are also 4 or 5 concerts available on a site called DiscLive.

I recently read that Robby and John are reuniting to organize a memorial tribute concert for Ray sometime later this year. The musical guests, who haven't been announced yet, will be performing Doors/Ray tunes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2014, 04:25:47 PM »

Thanks, OregonRiverRider.

Yes, you are lucky to have experienced Ray & Robby live. As I wrote above, it will always be a big regret of mine not to have seen them.

As far as The Doors of The 21st Century, there is an officially released DVD (available at Amazon) called The Doors Of The 21st century: L.A. Woman Live (2004). There are also 4 or 5 concerts available on a site called DiscLive.

I recently read that Robby and John are reuniting to organize a memorial tribute concert for Ray sometime later this year. The musical guests, who haven't been announced yet, will be performing Doors/Ray tunes.

I will seek out that DVD Sheriff. Yeah, I feel VERY lucky to have seen them. I can still picture and hear it in my minds' eye.

Did you get the bonus CD "LA Woman" release? Great stuff hearing the alternate takes. That is one boxset cancellation that really bummed me out.

Too bad it took Ray's death to bring John around. But a good chance to Celebrate the Lizard one more time.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2014, 04:31:06 PM »

Very NICE tribute, Sheriff John.  You have expressed it perfectly.

I've been spinning a lot of the Doors live CDs lately, the ones on Bright Midnight.  Many of these are so great I find it hard to believe they weren't issued right away while the band was touring.  The "Absolutely Live" set just didn't do them justice!

For anyone who needs convincing, start with the Bright Midnight sampler.

JEEZ those guys could play!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2014, 04:56:10 PM »

Very NICE tribute, Sheriff John.  You have expressed it perfectly.

I've been spinning a lot of the Doors live CDs lately, the ones on Bright Midnight.  Many of these are so great I find it hard to believe they weren't issued right away while the band was touring.  The "Absolutely Live" set just didn't do them justice!

For anyone who needs convincing, start with the Bright Midnight sampler.

JEEZ those guys could play!

Heysaboda, thanks for bringing up the Bright Midnight releases. They're incredible!

There's been this myth that Jim was some stumbling, raving drunk on stage for most of the Doors' shows, probably because of the legend of Miami 1969. And, yeah, sure, Jim was intoxicated for his share of shows (the Bright Midnight Boston show being one of them). But, when you listen to the entire Bright Midnight collection, you will immediately notice that Jim was consistently and OVERWHELMINGLY at the top of his game. As great as the studio recordings are, some of the Bright Midnight live versions actually surpass the studio versions. The energy level was greater, Robby was turned up louder, John was pounding, and Ray improvised more - all the while retaining the Doors' sound. I am continually amazed how Ray could play that keyboard bass with his left hand, and, at the same time be playing these mind-blowing parts with his right hand. And, he never seemed to miss/lose the beat. Never. Not a single note/beat. The sound that that three piece band made still astounds me.

When you listen to the Bright Midnight CD's, it's obvious that they could've made a better Absolutely Live. Oh, I love Absolutely Live, don't get me wrong. It's essential Doors listening. But, man, there were better versions and selections in the can.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2014, 01:48:09 AM »

Sheriff, that was a very well written and moving tribute to Ray and The Doors.  Smiley I've been a huge Doors fan my whole life. I have some great memories of my dad and I listening to the Doors In Concert cd when my mom left the house for a few hours. We would listen to the rather naughty(but, incredibly, still heavily edited) version of Gloria as loud as humanly possible. Build Me A Woman was also fun.  LOL  Man, when I heard the news about Ray, it really hit me like a ton of bricks. Like I said a handful of posts above, I've always thought that Ray just might have been the biggest part of The Doors. Not only in sound, but in spirit. Sheriff, I totally understand what you mean about feeling like The Doors were "still around" as long as Ray was here. He really was the group's biggest fan, and champion. Much like Carl Wilson with The Beach Boys, Ray Manzarek was always the "keeper of the flame" for The Doors. Thanks, Ray.  Smokin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2014, 06:45:18 AM »

Ray would've been 75 years old February 12th....

I'm still not hearing The Doors' music the way I used to. This only happened a few other times, when John Lennon, Carl Wilson, Perry Como (due to his Christmas music in my childhood years), and recently, when Lou Reed passed. Does anybody else ever experience that feeling? Like, it's just not the same...You go through a period of adjustment. It's like the music - hell, the world - isn't the same without that artist in it. Feeling sorry for yourself, I guess. Life moves on. You move on. Hopefully. Eventually.

I first "discovered" The Doors in the summer of 1971. I was a young kid, and I didn't realize that all of these Doors' songs were being played on AM radio because a guy named Jim Morrison just died. My older sister bought this Doors' comp, 13, told me about Jim Morrison, and things were never the same again. The first new Doors album I bought was Other Voices (because it was on sale; there were a lot of them in The Doors' slot) and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Then I bought Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine. Oh, man....Then L.A. Woman, then Full Circle, then Absolutely Live (in a bargain bin!), until I had 'em all.

Of course Jim Morrison was "the man"; as a young kid about to become a teenager, you wanted to look like Jim, sing like Jim, be like Jim (or the Jim you thought he was). But it was the music, the Doors' sound that hooked me. The first Doors' song that I was obsessed with was "Light My Fire". I used to play this game every night where I wouldn't go to sleep until I heard "Light My Fire" on my $8.00 Panasonic transistor radio. I would scour AM radio stations like WLS, WABC, and WFIL, turning the dial slowly but constantly until I heard it - and I ALWAYS found it! There was nothing like it as young music fan, hearing Ray's organ solo on AM radio, in the dead of the night, on a radio station across the country.

Sheriff - Loved your post...loved Perry as well...and the AM transistor radio story. And WABC! (Only at night!)  Wink
sandmountainslim
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2014, 07:15:33 PM »

I read where John Densmore an Robbie Krieger are trying to bury the hatchet since the death of Ray.    I hope they do more things like this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/10/an-evening-with-the-doors-john-densmore-robby-krieger_n_4418169.html
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 07:19:07 PM by sandmountainslim » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »

A new Doors' tribute album to be released:

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2014/06/preview-long-list-of-classic-rockers.html
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2014, 08:06:56 PM »

Remembering Jim Morrison  December 8, 1943 - July 3, 1971

A nice video tribute to Jim: http://youtu.be/uRD5o42_yoc
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:31:28 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2014, 08:12:41 PM »

Remembering Jim Morrison  December 8, 1943 - July 3, 1971

http://youtu.be/uRD5o42_yoc

Should also mention that Brian Jones died 45 years ago today. The same day as Jim, only two years earlier. And both at 27.

R.I.P. to both of them.

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2014, 05:31:46 PM »

Just saw the movie for the first time today...wow... Shocked

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »

Just saw the movie for the first time today...wow... Shocked

It is a pretty messed-up film, and much of it was fiction, though the surviving Doors members said it could have been a lot worse.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2014, 06:25:24 PM »

The movie really does suck, but I watch it from time-to-time because of Kilmer's amazing performance. Also, there are some beautiful moments peppered throughout the film (The End being played in the Whiskey for example).

Retrokid, have you seen 'When You're Strange'? It's a documentary that aired on PBS a while back, definitely worth watching if you're a fan of the Doors.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »

The movie really does suck, but I watch it from time-to-time because of Kilmer's amazing performance. Also, there are some beautiful moments peppered throughout the film (The End being played in the Whiskey for example).

Retrokid, have you seen 'When You're Strange'? It's a documentary that aired on PBS a while back, definitely worth watching if you're a fan of the Doors.

yea I thought Van did a great job and he looked just like him too. and no I haven't seen that documentary, if it's on youtube I'll check it out, thanks Rab

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »

yea I thought Van did a great job and he looked just like him too. and no I haven't seen that documentary, if it's on youtube I'll check it out, thanks Rab

Apparently, upon hearing Kilmer sing some of the vocals, the members of The Doors couldn't tell the difference between Kilmer's voice and Morrison's Shocked

Here's the link to 'When You're Strange': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqTum7zFtPY

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2014, 07:11:14 PM »

There's also a 'Classic Albums' episode on the making of their debut album...though I wish they had chosen Strange Days instead. That's their best.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2014, 07:14:57 PM »

There's also a 'Classic Albums' episode on the making of their debut album...though I wish they had chosen Strange Days instead. That's their best.

Are you mocking my taste, Woodstock?? LOL

I haven't seen that 'Classic Albums' piece - I'll have to check that out.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »

Hahaha, no I'm just kidding. Strange Days is great musically but it depresses me too much to listen to. 'You're Lost Little Girl" is total brilliance...I just wish the songs weren't all the same sad mood. "Love Me Two Times" is also great. There's a clip out there of The Doors playing that after Jim died with Ray on lead vocals - actually pretty good!

My favorite would be LA Woman though. There are a couple on their debut that I just don't dig, while every song on LA is so strong + it has Riders on the Storm.

RIP Ray: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otkw2uCVEaE
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:27:20 PM by Woodstock » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx