gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:09:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Doors' Ray Manzarek dies at 74  (Read 19322 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2014, 07:44:02 PM »

Paul Rothchild apparently hates L.A. Woman - he loves 'Riders' and the title song, but he said the rest of the album is total garbage. This interview with Rothchild is very insightful:
http://archives.waiting-forthe-sun.net/Pages/Interviews/OtherInterviews/rothchild_bam.html

I love L.A. Woman (album) - 'Cars Hiss By My Window', 'The WASP', and definitely the two you mentioned. What a great trip that album.

Thanks for posting that clip. Damn, I wonder what it was like for them to perform without Jim so soon after he passed.

Strange Days is full of so many moments of instrumental/vocal/lyrical genius that I disregard the dour mood of the album. It is pretty depressing, but easily overlooked by me.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2014, 07:51:11 PM »

Paul Rothchild apparently hates L.A. Woman - he loves 'Riders' and the title song, but he said the rest of the album is total garbage. This interview with Rothchild is very insightful:
http://archives.waiting-forthe-sun.net/Pages/Interviews/OtherInterviews/rothchild_bam.html

I love L.A. Woman (album) - 'Cars Hiss By My Window', 'The WASP', and definitely the two you mentioned. What a great trip that album.

Thanks for posting that clip. Damn, I wonder what it was like for them to perform without Jim so soon after he passed.

Strange Days is full of so many moments of instrumental/vocal/lyrical genius that I disregard the dour mood of the album. It is pretty depressing, but easily overlooked by me.

Everyone has an opinion.  LA Woman is the only  Doors LP that Rothchild didn't produce so there ya go.  I think all the albums have their merits, but I am partial to the more rootsy ones -- LA Woman and especially Morrison Hotel.  Interestingly that record gets the short shrift -- Bruce Botnick is amazingly dismissive of it in the reissue's liner notes, particularly in how it relates to LA Woman -- which HE produced. 

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »

Rotchchild walked out as soon as they started...no wonder he didn't like it considering its success. He was a weird guy anywayz...

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx