gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 01:33:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More studio news  (Read 94283 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2013, 11:04:22 AM »

I think that of Brian's solo albums *of his own songs* only Imagination was worse than That's Why God Made The Radio. Gettin' In Over My Head, Brian Wilson and That Lucky Old Sun were all better. And I don't think the covers albums would have been significantly better if they'd been "The Beach Boys Reimagine Gershwin" and "The Beach Boys In The Key Of Disney".

I realize you are stating an opinion, but I respectfully and almost completely disagree with you.

In my opinion, That's Why God Made The Radio is better than ANY Brian Wilson solo album, and on a simple, basic level, the Beach Boys' voices would've significantly improved any of Brian's solo albums.
I would agree with you TWGMTR, the BBs voice make an album better. But its the behind scenes stuff the members pull that make the process difficult for Brian sometimes.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »

I think that of Brian's solo albums *of his own songs* only Imagination was worse than That's Why God Made The Radio. Gettin' In Over My Head, Brian Wilson and That Lucky Old Sun were all better. And I don't think the covers albums would have been significantly better if they'd been "The Beach Boys Reimagine Gershwin" and "The Beach Boys In The Key Of Disney".

I realize you are stating an opinion, but I respectfully and almost completely disagree with you.

In my opinion, That's Why God Made The Radio is better than ANY Brian Wilson solo album, and on a simple, basic level, the Beach Boys' voices would've significantly improved any of Brian's solo albums.

I think Al's voice would have. I think Mike's would have if he'd stuck to the bass register, but not otherwise. And I think all of the albums would have been much, much worse for having songs like Spring Vacation, Daybreak Over The Ocean and Beaches In Mind on them.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2013, 11:06:44 AM »

Assuming Brian is recording "Pleasure Island" what fan wouldn't want it to be Beach Boys record instead of a Brian Wilson solo record.

Sadly Mike has made it clear he wants more input in future Beach Boys material, that we can't have. We all know how long Brian's been working on pleasure island.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2013, 11:16:13 AM »

Wow. I can understand somebody maybe preferring GIOMH if they hate the production on TWGMTR, but it isn't a better album by a long way.

The vocals on GIOMH were horrendous and the lyrics were abysmal too. I know there are some duff lyrics on TWGMTR but there are so many on the earlier album like hypnotize me/lullaby me, dancer/Cancer, slaying a dragon(?!?) and getting things cranking. The mix was bad and some of the songs sounded better when Brian recorded them while still under Landy's influence. Even Brian's band reportedly hate it. Dismal.

Daybreak is a better song than most on GIOMH.  Evil
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2013, 11:19:00 AM »

What are the reasons a new album won't happen? Pride? Ego? Money? Hatred?  Huh

close... it's a guy named Michael.
Paulos
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2013, 11:26:10 AM »

What was this thread about again? It seems to mostly be people vilifying Mike Love even though he has nothing to do with this project and the professor pining away for a Beach Boys album that isn't going to happen whilst incessantly referring to himself in the first person.

Whatever Brian is working on I hope it turns out well and makes him happy, he doesn't owe anyone, and that includes fans and The Beach Boys, anything.
Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2013, 11:28:41 AM »

Does every single thread have to turn into Mike Love backslashing?
Gee, a few fans say they want a new album from the BBs and suddenly we get a list of reasons why Mike Love is evil. I want the Lovester involved, dammit! In full nasal glory; with his bass and lead vocals; and lyrics to some of Brian's songs; and his jokes that crack Brian up; I want these guys together. With all the flaws and miseries they've exposed to the world for years. I Love them as an artistic group; and find them compelling as a human bunch.

Yes. They will never quit. No matter how many times you point out facts like, aside of "Do It Again" , Mike by no means carried on about cars and surfing on any of the 7 studio released albums post the Smile demise. It was after Endless Summer,,,,,,and even then not a whole lot until they stopped releasing albums on any regular basis in 1980. It's a myth and they won't let it go. Brian's mental, physical, creative and anything else under the sun problems were not the fault nor result of anything Mike Love did or did not do.

Eight years between Smile being abandoned and Endless Summer and somehow Brian would have been just fine and made lots of great music if not for the fact that Mike kept................I don't know............ touring with the rest of the guys playing songs like Wake the World, Sail on Sailor, I Can Hear Music...................And don't even get me started on what Mike did to Brian in the '80's and '90's when Brian was being turned into a robot by a well respected psychologist.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »

Al and Jeff BOTH rock!  Heck, they could get together with Brian and David and call themselves The Traveling Beach Boys!

LOL

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2013, 11:47:10 AM »

What was this thread about again? It seems to mostly be people vilifying Mike Love even though he has nothing to do with this project and the professor pining away for a Beach Boys album that isn't going to happen whilst incessantly referring to himself in the first person.

Whatever Brian is working on I hope it turns out well and makes him happy, he doesn't owe anyone, and that includes fans and The Beach Boys, anything.
Mike is "again" being made the villian here because Brian had stated he wanted to make another BB album this year and, because of Mike, the album being made isn't one.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »

Mike is "again" being made the villian here because Brian had stated he wanted to make another BB album this year and, because of Mike, the album being made isn't one.

If people hate Mike so much, why do they all want him on the album?

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Paulos
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »

That, Mr Hickey, is the million dollar question.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2013, 12:00:57 PM »

I've met the man and the experience was distasteful!  But on the other hand, he has his talents, is a great front man and  having all the BBs together, their voices, is better than individual parts.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2013, 12:03:32 PM »

Who still has a voice that resembles their younger selves between Brian and Mike? Hands down Mike.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »

Not really. When it comes to Mike the truth hurts in come cases.

You know, I don't think Mike is reading the thread to be hurt by it.  Smiley

Reading it ? No.  Being appraised of the content and overall tenor ? Yes.

In A. N. Other thread, the question was posed, what makes BB fans so crabby ? The torrent of utter bilge vomited forth here by the likes of Bossaroo, is a succinct answer. Uninformed bile masquerading as fact and contributing precisely nothing to the topic in hand except to once more underscore that some folk don't like Mike, and just HAVE to keep telling us about it, ad nauseum.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »

It's funny, when TWGMTR was being put together and it finally came out and everyone was so surprised how good it actually was, Mike was getting more compliments and love than I've ever seen him get and more than he's probably gotten in decades. That was especially noticeable during the live shows. It then all goes away after he proceeds to move on with his shows with Bruce because people feel he just dropped it all.

I want the album to have Mike and Bruce on it and for it to be another Beach Boys album because I think that's what they do best together. Mike's bass and leads are also integral, IMHO, to what Brian writes vocally.

It's sad that the riffs are so deep that at 70+ years of age, they still for some reason(s) just can't put things aside and it's a shame. Mike, Brian, Al, Bruce, and David should do this album together, but obviously, things are so pathetic that only the biggest celebration possible with the most publicity (50 years) is the only way all parties will agree and join.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »

Actually I think people were criticizing Mike's contributions and fawning over the suite.

Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2013, 12:15:08 PM »

I'm with the professor here. I want a full-group album[who wouldn't?]. I want Mike's leads to Brian's songs[it would sound nice. sure]. And Mike's lyrics to some of Brian's melodies[no - absolutely not. no-go, no way. And full-group vocals[that would be nice].

Edited above, by moi.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »

Not really. When it comes to Mike the truth hurts in come cases.

You know, I don't think Mike is reading the thread to be hurt by it.  Smiley

Reading it ? No.  Being appraised of the content and overall tenor ? Yes.

In A. N. Other thread, the question was posed, what makes BB fans so crabby ? The torrent of utter bilge vomited forth here by the likes of Bossaroo, is a succinct answer. Uninformed bile masquerading as fact and contributing precisely nothing to the topic in hand except to once more underscore that some folk don't like Mike, and just HAVE to keep telling us about it, ad nauseum.
Vomit?Huh Bossaroo is a great poster and expressing the honest thoughts of a big segment of BBs fans.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »

Actually I think people were criticizing Mike's contributions and fawning over the suite.

Oh, I didn't mean in his contributions to album writing, but the way he was handling things and coming across. As the tour started to wind down, he started to change back. Obviously, the suite was getting the most praise, thus Mike's comment about how he wasn't a fan of it.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2013, 12:25:27 PM »

not all of us do. the hazards of having Mike around far outweigh the benefits.
and keep in mind, it appears Mike is the only one responsible for being left out of whatever Brian is currently creating.

AGD-
your posts are are the very definition of "ad nauseum"
you constantly talk down and belittle other posters and come across as a miserable know-it-all (even though you frequently get your facts wrong and confess to never listening to the BBs for enjoyment).

and for some strange reason, you delight in telling everyone that Mike has done nothing wrong. the tour had a set number of dates. Mike fulfilled his contract. never mind that Brian Wilson wants to continue as a full-fledged member of the band he helped found and create. he wrote the songs. he produced the albums. he is the reason the band achieved any kind of lasting success.

I know, i know... you've heard it all before. But apparently some things bear repeating around here.

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2013, 12:32:10 PM »

I think the only subject that's become more tiresome than "Mike Love is evil" is "AGD is evil". Can we please have one thread that isn't just about vulgar abuse?

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »

I take issue with people calling out AGD on his Beach Boys knowledge. He might get the odd fact wrong but even if you dislike his personality you need to respect the extent of knowledge he has on our favorite band.

His website is basically Websters for Beach Boys fans.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2013, 12:34:47 PM »

It looks like a pack of smokes with a Bic mini lighter resting on top. Or a deck of cards. Whether it is or not, it looks that way.  Cheesy

That's the very same device that appeared on TWGMTR studio pics. The same questions were raised back then, and the same answers were given.

I guess humor or an attempt at humor or lightening the mood a bit isn't as welcome with some folks here. Too bad. I'll f*** off next time, okay?

Should I have scrolled through hundreds of posts in that thread, searched "pack of cigarettes on console", made sure no one else before me mentioned it, and double-fact-checked everything before posting? No thanks.

Hey, at least we got the facts now about the thing that looks like a cigarette pack, never mind a little dash of humor to try lightening things up this week of weeks. Back to the 5 decade old Mike Love versus Brian Wilson debates. Enjoy.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »

Again, I feel like a broken record. You can't have Mike mixed into the formula without having the WHOLE Mike (for better or worse). The Mike who was accurately profiled in the Rolling Stone band interview. That's the elephant in the room. When you add up the pluses and minuses, if I were Brian I'd just let it go. Not worth it. UNLESS of course Mike pushed the issue...which he hasn't. Then, it would be more difficult to be the bad guy and squash it (as Mike did in spectacular fashion in the fall of 2012.

How is that a bash session on Mike? Andrew, for all of your research in all things BB, you exhibit the same knee jerk bias of many of us here.

A new solo album with AL! Hooray - beyond that, it just IS what it IS.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2013, 12:46:01 PM »

ML hasn't written good lyrics since the pre-Endless Summer days. He's written a couple of decent lyrics to quite good tunes, but then he has no clue production wise so it sounds bad in the end. If another BB album would entail more "spring vacation/good vibration", then I'd rather we put the BB behind us and look forward to Brian's offerings. There is no doubt that ML lyrics botch everything. Spring Vacation for instance a rather good tune with good harmonies, but the lyrics really slay it.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 23 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx