gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:48:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian to 'write' autobiography  (Read 35429 times)
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2013, 08:17:38 PM »

Da Capo Press as a publisher bodes well for it, even if it is unnecessary. They're a small publisher of non-fiction titles with a tradition of music and performing arts books. In other words, there's no pressure to produce tabloid type revelations as there might be if it were a larger publishing house. One hopes it will at least be in good taste.  No one needs to read again about Mike Love's toilet feats, Brian's toilet feats on his father's dinner plate, or talking about his bedroom life (and sometimes lack thereof) with Melinda, Marilyn, Diane, or various other persons. TMI.   
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 09:01:36 PM »

Natural tie-in to the new Brian biopic.  Brian really has a great marketing team going these days!

Better late then never about the great marketing...  Shocked
The C50 was a textbook example of great marketing until the Mike fires Brian debacle.

Just outta curiosity what was great marketing about the reunion?

Holy crap, were you living in a cave?

Starting with the Grammy Awards "Do It Again", new top 10 album and single,  huge tour sellouts, fedtivals, Live at Rolling Stone,  C50 logo, videos, the Walmart sampler, QVC appearsnce,.... lots more and I wasn't even paying that  close attention.

No I wasn't living in a cave, I live in a house. But anyways the Grammys.. Foster the People tortured 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'. I like Maroon 5 but Adam Levine's voice didn't do Surfer Girl any justice, or the Beach Boys. The whole performance left a bad taste in my mouth. And just the fact it was there first performance ever on the Grammys, it's almost an insult. The new album=Bad, the single=awesome! Not really a #3 album but... I'm very impressed about the 70+ world tour. QVC was a bit gimmicky/cheesy but did help sell the album. The Walmart sampler came with an unnecessary update of Do It Again along with the same songs that have been released about 200 times. The same songs that were attached to the new album if you bought it on QVC... The logo... The number 50 below the already bad stylized beach boys logo, not very exciting, but I did love the brother records logo they used. And then someone had to go fire 3 members of there own band... What a way to celebrate!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 09:02:26 PM »

Ben Schafer at Da Capo is a really good editor with real integrity. I'm sure he's not going to let it get sugar-coated and he's not going to let it be filled up with tabloid stories half-inched, as Michael Caine would say, from Gaines's Heroes & Villains. I feel sure he and Jason Fine will get the real story out of Brian - and I have the feeling that once Brian gets in the mood to tell it he'll remember more than just about anyone expects.

This leads me to wonder if we'll ever see autobiographies from the others (apart from The Lost Beach Boy which is effectively Dave's memoirs). Al and Mike, when asked if they'd write a book, have generally said they're too busy to think about it. It would be interesting if Bruce wrote one, since his story covers a whole lot besides the BBs.....
zachrwolfe
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 09:54:17 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:13:24 PM by zatch » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2013, 10:29:19 PM »

Natural tie-in to the new Brian biopic.  Brian really has a great marketing team going these days!

Better late then never about the great marketing...  Shocked
The C50 was a textbook example of great marketing until the Mike fires Brian debacle.

Just outta curiosity what was great marketing about the reunion?

Holy crap, were you living in a cave?

Starting with the Grammy Awards "Do It Again", new top 10 album and single,  huge tour sellouts, fedtivals, Live at Rolling Stone,  C50 logo, videos, the Walmart sampler, QVC appearsnce,.... lots more and I wasn't even paying that  close attention.

No I wasn't living in a cave, I live in a house. But anyways the Grammys.. Foster the People tortured 'Wouldn't It Be Nice'. I like Maroon 5 but Adam Levine's voice didn't do Surfer Girl any justice, or the Beach Boys. The whole performance left a bad taste in my mouth. And just the fact it was there first performance ever on the Grammys, it's almost an insult. The new album=Bad, the single=awesome! Not really a #3 album but... I'm very impressed about the 70+ world tour. QVC was a bit gimmicky/cheesy but did help sell the album. The Walmart sampler came with an unnecessary update of Do It Again along with the same songs that have been released about 200 times. The same songs that were attached to the new album if you bought it on QVC... The logo... The number 50 below the already bad stylized beach boys logo, not very exciting, but I did love the brother records logo they used. And then someone had to go fire 3 members of there own band... What a way to celebrate!
The cave was a joke.  The marketing of the C50 be an interesting thread.  I feel it was well marketed. Don't know the figures but they probably grossed over $30 million.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:30:33 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2013, 10:38:24 PM »

While it sounds intriguing, I see nothing good coming out of this.  His previous writings have been less than illuminating - 2fer booklet notes?

David Leaf.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2013, 10:42:36 PM »

I'm not being cranky here just for the sake of it, but I can't really see Brian's detailed recall having improved over the last 22 years. I don't envy the collaborator his task.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2013, 11:08:08 PM »

While it sounds intriguing, I see nothing good coming out of this.  His previous writings have been less than illuminating - 2fer booklet notes?

David Leaf.

Not exactly what Bicyclerider is talking about. I think they are talking about the little notes Brian wrote for the some of the stuff. I know he did Surfin' Safari/Surfin' U.S.A. and Friends/ 20/20 and maybe others? I dunno.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2013, 11:08:42 PM »

The beginning of Brian's biography, as relayed to me:

...we were at El Camino college.
Man, I feel like a sorry excuse for a Brian Wilson fan! I never, in all my reading up on and obsession with all things BBs, knew that Brian went to college! How is that even possible? I looked at his Wikipedia article and found it interesting that he majored in psychology, since that and psychiatry are two things I've been looking into possibly pursuing after I graduate high school (that is, if my music career doesn't suddenly take off Grin ). It's not like this is even new or groundbreaking info...

I also find it interesting that it says "He continued his music studies at the college as well" since in every interview I've seen, they make it out as if after the three-or-so accordion lessons he had as a kid, he was 100% self-taught.

Anyway, getting a bit off topic here, just thought that was interesting and was news to me (and only me?).

Related to the bio, this should be pretty good. Like others here, I maintain confidence that this will have the truth. I'd imagine Brian recognizes this is a good time to put real effort into documenting his perspective on the real story, as he gets more and more well acquainted with his own mortality, with his reported recent falls and back issues, as well as the fact that he is getting up there in age.

Not sure about music ed at college, but Brian certainly had further music classes at high school, and relatively advanced ones at that. His teacher has been interviewed before.
MBE
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2013, 11:09:04 PM »

Brian's memory is not so bad, he just is one of those people that needs a fresh approach or they go into robot mode. I doubt he can provide huge detail as far as dates, but I bet all of his songs conjure up some sort of memory. I don't think it will offer much revelation at this point, but hopefully he does get asked about all of his music. I think a few good stories will surface.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »

David Leaf.

Not exactly what Bicyclerider is talking about. I think they are talking about the little notes Brian wrote for the some of the stuff. I know he did Surfin' Safari/Surfin' U.S.A. and Friends/ 20/20 and maybe others? I dunno.

AGD's point is that those booklet notes were -- in the best case scenario -- assembled by Leaf from interviews with BW. In the worst case scenario, Leaf just came up with them himself. And, really, couldn't we all do a passable imitation of those notes, I mean, if we wanted to?

That's Why God Made the Radio (2012)

I was gettin' ready to make music again, and I really felt like it needed the guys, you know? So I called up Mike, and said, "Let's sing!" And he said "cool." And the sounds were out of sight when everyone got back together. The voices were rockin' and rollin, and everyone was just groovin' to the music! This was one of my very favorite albums to play and sing. I think we got kind of a Spector vibe on some of the tracks, too. I hope you really like this album, That's Why God Made the Radio.

Love and Mercy,
Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2013, 11:45:14 PM »

That's it in a nutshell.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2013, 12:06:55 AM »

David Leaf.

AGD's point is that those booklet notes were -- in the best case scenario -- assembled by Leaf from interviews with BW. In the worst case scenario, Leaf just came up with them himself. And, really, couldn't we all do a passable imitation of those notes, I mean, if we wanted to?

That's Why God Made the Radio (2012)

I was gettin' ready to make music again, and I really felt like it needed the guys, you know? So I called up Mike, and said, "Let's sing!" And he said "cool." And the sounds were out of sight when everyone got back together. The voices were rockin' and rollin, and everyone was just groovin' to the music! This was one of my very favorite albums to play and sing. I think we got kind of a Spector vibe on some of the tracks, too. I hope you really like this album, That's Why God Made the Radio.

Love and Mercy,
Brian Wilson

If David Leaf wrote that he gets an F

Embarrassing  LOL

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 12:26:57 AM »

It might actually be readable, for one thing! WIBN is one of the worst books I've ever read. If it weren't for the fact that I love me some B-Pain, I'd have thrown it out. I still might.

Though half of it was stolen and lots of it are incorrect, this book was what turned me on to the Beach Boys. Knowing next to nothing about them beyond their hits, it was a fascinating read. I was absorbed into the reading like never since. Maybe the German translation is actually better than the original English text.

It will be interesting to see how the two books will contradict each other.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 03:01:56 AM »

Melinda is determined. I wish Brian wasn't doing this.

Eh? What on earth is the problem? Brian finally gets a potentially decently written autobiography, that should supersede the bloody awful Landy bio, a book filled with misinformation, libel, plagiarism and lies? A book that new fans might buy and not instantly get slapped in the face with offensively bad prose.

SHE'S JUST GONE TOO FAR?!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 03:26:48 AM »

I think it will be interesting and OK at the very least.

Jason Fine is an, um, fine writer. He knows his BBs stuff.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2013, 03:30:53 AM »

Looking forward to it though I wish they'd call it an authorised biography and not pretend it's and autobiography. Autho-biography anyone?

Hard to add much to what's already out there, particularly Carlin's tome, though Fine will perhaps get access to family/band documents and associates, family, friends etc.

“We live in divisive times.”
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2013, 03:55:24 AM »

Eh? What on earth is the problem? Brian finally gets a potentially decently written autobiography, that should supersede the bloody awful Landy bio, a book filled with misinformation, libel, plagiarism and lies? A book that new fans might buy and not instantly get slapped in the face with offensively bad prose.

LOL
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 03:59:03 AM »

I assume we are all aware that what usually happens when a celebrity writes their own autobiography is that a collaborator is chosen who writes well and whom the subject feels comfy with. Hours and hours of interviews are recorded. The collaborator/editor then writes the manuscript. So the memories and words are those of the subject but Brian won't be doing much writing himself as such.

Could be good. I am sure I will buy it.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2013, 03:59:44 AM »

Really dislike the "Love and mercy, Brian Wilson" part.

Is it like his trademark? Did he come up with it or was there someone in his inner circle who said
'hey Brian, Ringo Starr says peace and love right? You should have something too, like that song you wrote Love And Mercy?'
Anyway I think it's a bit tacky, L&M is not a widely known song and certainly not one which people instantly associate with Brian, there are plenty of other good songs to do that.

herpa derpa,
cabinessenceking

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:02:06 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2013, 04:00:19 AM »

David Leaf.

It was nice of Leaf in those booklets to claim that Brian produced I Can Hear Music (unless my memory is faulty).

Does anyone know why Leaf is no longer involved in things?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2013, 04:55:41 AM »

He just loves that crack pipe too much.

Srsly, I believe that Leaf and BW/BW's organisation had some kind of falling out. But if anyone knows why, they ain't telling.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 05:02:39 AM »

Couldn't it just be that Leaf chose a different line of work?

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/01/entertainment/la-et-cm-mickey-mantle-play-in-the-works-from-pop-music-writer-david-leaf-20130301

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 05:22:37 AM »

Because of Brian's personality and "issues", history has shown that his views and opinions are overly influenced - at the particular time a book or documentary or interview is being conducted - by a significant person in his life. I'm just afraid that Brian will be rehearsed and his stories will be scripted to reflect his life "according to Melinda".

I also think that Brian Wilson, who at times can be brutally honest, has problems telling the truth. We STILL won't be able to separate fact from fiction.

Finally, when Brian discusses the people in the Beach Boys' family, he says hurtful things. In past books and interviews, Brian has made some very derogatory comments about people, including his brothers, that I think are better left unsaid, or not to be published in a book. But, like Dennis Wilson said in 1976, he (Brian) can do whatever he wants....
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 05:36:06 AM »

I don't get it. Fine, you'd rather have people buy Wouldn't It Be Nice and think The Beach Boys were loutish boors who hated Brian and Landy was Jesus Christ himself, just so long as THAT WOMAN isn't near it.

It's important this book is out there because, as I'm sure a lot of people here can vouch, if you don't know much about BW and want to find out more, you are going to pick up his autobiography first.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:37:57 AM by hypehat » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx