gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 12:50:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carry Me Home  (Read 28222 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2013, 04:37:21 PM »

Obviously there are a few Dennis songs (the aforementioned plus Mona Kani, California Slide etc.) that seem to be available for the box set. But of the other unreleased songs listed on AGD's website, how many is it thought have survived up to this point? Is it only some of the 1974 recordings that are thought to have been destroyed?

A load of the unreleased songs are from the 70s with several by Al (Gold Rush, Rubles, Dr. Tom, Canyon Summer etc.). Have these songs ever been booted or heard by nefarious people?  Smiley
Jason
« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2013, 04:57:54 PM »

Rubles exists and is rumored to be on a Wrinkles or Summer of Love level of horribleness.
Nicko1234
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2013, 05:07:54 PM »

Rubles exists and is rumored to be on a Wrinkles or Summer of Love level of horribleness.

Lovely stuff. Should fit nicely on the box set between Hey Little Tomboy (original version) and the full Country Love album!
Jason
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2013, 05:30:37 PM »

Lovely stuff. Should fit nicely on the box set between Hey Little Tomboy (original version) and the full Country Love album!

I know, right?

Dr. Tom exists as well, I forgot to mention that. Never heard it, but it's confirmed. Holland era. Gold Rush and Canyon Summer are unrecorded as far as I know. For the record, the actual title of "California Slide" is I'm Going Your Way, and "Mona Kani" is Mona Kanau.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2013, 06:02:23 PM »

Its possible brian did hear "i've got a friend" when he attended the bbs december 3 1971 long beach show . It was performed
Nicko1234
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2013, 11:12:47 AM »

I know, right?

Dr. Tom exists as well, I forgot to mention that. Never heard it, but it's confirmed. Holland era. Gold Rush and Canyon Summer are unrecorded as far as I know. For the record, the actual title of "California Slide" is I'm Going Your Way, and "Mona Kani" is Mona Kanau.

Thanks for the info.

Hopefully plenty of unbooted songs will make it onto the box set...
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2013, 01:45:00 AM »

Isn't there at least one radio broadcast of I've Got A Friend, thereby making it a professional recording? I'm not saying whether there is a multi track soundboard recording, but a radio broadcast would still be miles above a tape placed somewhere in an audience.

By far the most common live version of "I've Got A Friend" that has been bootlegged is from the Radio Luxembourg broadcast of the Beach Boys concert on May 10th, 1972 at Concert Hall of the Villa, Louvigny, Luxembourg. It's either an audience recording or someone recorded it right off the radio. Dennis also sang it the night before in Munich, Germany. I always wondered if the radio station recorded a copy and it's stashed somewhere in a box. Daryl and Dennis Dragon and Toni Tennille were on stage, and that was one helluva setlist with Blondie singing Wild Honey along with the band playing a couple of songs from the Carl & The Passions album.

I think the recordings that circulate of the Radio Luxemburg concert were recorded right from the radio. Problem was the fact that the weather conditions that day (night) were not so good. This made the broadcast not being perfect in most of Europe.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2013, 01:46:39 AM »

I've Got A Friend. At least two live versions exist - one from Germany (Luxemborg?).

I have four audience recordings -- University of Georgia June 1972, Munich May 9 1972, Radio Luxembourg May 10 1972, Long Beach December 71.

Do you mean those, or do you mean that soundboards exist of two shows?

There's a fifth one circulating: Ahoy Rotterdam (Netherlands), May 13th 1972. Again quite a bit of hiss on the background, but not as bad as the ones mentioned above.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2013, 01:47:13 AM »

Isn't there at least one radio broadcast of I've Got A Friend, thereby making it a professional recording? I'm not saying whether there is a multi track soundboard recording, but a radio broadcast would still be miles above a tape placed somewhere in an audience.

By far the most common live version of "I've Got A Friend" that has been bootlegged is from the Radio Luxembourg broadcast of the Beach Boys concert on May 10th, 1972 at Concert Hall of the Villa, Louvigny, Luxembourg. It's either an audience recording or someone recorded it right off the radio. Dennis also sang it the night before in Munich, Germany. I always wondered if the radio station recorded a copy and it's stashed somewhere in a box. Daryl and Dennis Dragon and Toni Tennille were on stage, and that was one helluva setlist with Blondie singing Wild Honey along with the band playing a couple of songs from the Carl & The Passions album.

I think the recordings that circulate of the Radio Luxemburg concert were recorded right from the radio. Problem was the fact that the weather conditions that day (night) were not so good. This made the broadcast not being perfect in most of Europe.

Can it be assumed that Radio Luxembourg engineers recorded the gig simultaneously? It'd seem odd not to give themselves the option of repeating the show another date.

“We live in divisive times.”
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2013, 03:16:46 AM »

Can it be assumed that Radio Luxembourg engineers recorded the gig simultaneously? It'd seem odd not to give themselves the option of repeating the show another date.

perhaps, and I wish I could confirm that...

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2013, 07:35:47 AM »

Thanks for the info, SH.  I'm assuming Ian has documented all five of these shows in his new book(?)  I'm thinking maybe someone out there could take away some of that hiss without compromising the quality of the recording.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2013, 08:05:32 AM »

Thanks for the info, SH.  I'm assuming Ian has documented all five of these shows in his new book(?)  I'm thinking maybe someone out there could take away some of that hiss without compromising the quality of the recording.

I seriously doubt it. There's more hiss than recording there.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2013, 03:44:32 PM »

There's a copy - or was - in the band's vault.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jason
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2013, 04:04:16 PM »

I've Got A Friend. At least two live versions exist - one from Germany (Luxemborg?).

I have four audience recordings -- University of Georgia June 1972, Munich May 9 1972, Radio Luxembourg May 10 1972, Long Beach December 71.

Do you mean those, or do you mean that soundboards exist of two shows?

There's a fifth one circulating: Ahoy Rotterdam (Netherlands), May 13th 1972. Again quite a bit of hiss on the background, but not as bad as the ones mentioned above.

And a sixth from Georgetown University, November of 1971.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »

Yeah, the Luxembourg one is the best chance, unless they recorded a show that we aren't aware of. I like that version anyway, because Dennis breaks it down at the end to tell us how much he loves his wife. That's soul music, right there.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2013, 05:58:26 PM »

One of my good friends on the board sent me another version of "I've Got A Friend" today. So that makes four that I've heard now. Out of the four, one of them has very minimal hiss and the other minimal hiss but with slight distortion. Seriously now, I'm thinking that with a Radio Shack 4-channel dual quad posi-traction Dolby equalizer, the mid-frequencies could be turned up and this could be a gem in the rough. I think the frequencies could be messed with to eliminate most of the distortion or hiss. It's just Dennis and a piano. Then in the middle, Carl comes in on guitar and (Dennis Dragon?) plays drums. One version he's on what sounds like a pipe organ. And a horn. These were all recorded live around mid-May of 1972. Dennis really got a good long ovation in Luxembourg and I'm a little surprised that didn't prompt him to go home and complete the recording for this song. Instead, he went over to the Bellagio studio the following month and recorded the song "Barbara". "Barbara" wasn't finished either - there were strings intended for it - probably like were planned for "I've Got A Friend". Plans for further work on "I've Got A Friend" were probably aborted at that point. A session for "Cuddle Up" was recorded up at Bellagio the previous month and he probably figured that he'd done enough on "Barbara" and "I've Got A Friend", so he added some strings to "Cuddle Up" in a studio in Downey and released that one.

"I've Got A Friend" was about Barbara. At the end of the song in Luxembourg, he repeated his wife's name "Barbara" and said, "I Love Barbara" three times with emotion. Dennis really soaked up the ovation, which seemed to get even louder after he told the crowd about her and expressed his love publicly for her.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 08:55:56 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »

It's nice to have Friends!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »

Yes it is, Bgas.  Smiley

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »

There used to be a version of I've Got A Friend on Youtube that sounded quite a bit better than my version(s). I wish I could still find it...

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »

By the way, has anyone ever covered IGAF as they have with WIBNTLA?

Not sure, but Primal Scream covered "Carry Me Home".  Not bad!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ4x1YB88_s
You had a very different opinion about the same recording in this thread: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10904.0.html  Grin

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2013, 08:35:01 PM »

I was being facetious, Jay.  It ain't bad at all.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2013, 08:39:26 PM »

There used to be a version of I've Got A Friend on Youtube that sounded quite a bit better than my version(s). I wish I could still find it...

Why didn't you download the better Youtube version?

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2013, 08:43:29 PM »

I didn't have any program to download it with. I probably wouldn't have known how to do it anyway. lol

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »

Until a few years ago I had the Rotterdam recording on YT (accompanied with some pictures of the concert), but my channel got blocked. That's probably the one you saw.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2013, 10:35:13 PM »

Yeah, I remember your videos, and JasperEich(sp?). Good times.  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx