gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:04:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127164 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 08, 2013, 11:33:03 PM »

C'mon, Phil. Answer the question. You said that the Hoffman thread was "about whether (in the absence of "Made in California") people should seek out the 'Good Vibrations: 30 Years of The Beach Boys' box set."

Now, show me a single post in that 4-page thread, as of right now, that backs that statement of yours up.

We're all waiting.

I'm not waiting.

Please, let's not let another thread get derailed with this stuff.  It really is pointless.  You will never, ever convince this guy of anything that he does not want to believe.  It just won't happen.  Accept it and move on.

Now, let's hear a little more from adamghost.

Do you remember back before SMiLE came out and I said that Alan Boyd whispered something in my ear about it and I went "WHOA?" but never said what the "whoa" thing was?  I even got in trouble for THAT.  I ain't sayin' nuthin', except that when I saw this many moons back, it was enough of a fanboy wishlist that my first reaction was "I'll be amazed if something this cool gets past the BBs."  But my understanding is, after a few back and forths that got resolved, for the most part, it did. 

I did leave a one oblique comment about a particular song in another thread but I think people thought I was making a joke (which was, to be honest, my intent).  So there.

Now I got my own world tour to get ready for...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: May 09, 2013, 01:11:43 AM »

FWIW, I second Adam's understanding.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 09, 2013, 01:33:06 AM »

That's actually pretty eerily similar to a modern day bored Brian expression.  Grin

Weeeeeelll... it's not actually *that* eerie. It *is* the same guy, after all!!   Wink

Oh, and can I be the first to go 'squeee!' at adamghost's info, and AGD's seconding of same? If the tracklist seriously impressed these two guys (particularly AGD, who isn't easily moved in this regard), then we are really in for a treat.

Good news, people, good news. May stuff like this continue to blow the Cohens of despair back whence they came. The dark places of the inside... or wherever. But not here. Not *anywhere* here.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #228 on: May 09, 2013, 01:59:04 AM »

I'll put this delicately, as I know he posts here intermittently, but I take it David Leaf won't be doing the liner notes for this box. It's funny that he pretty much did everything from the late 80's till....well, 2004. For everything else it was, BWPS was a political moment for the BB's as a whole. Did he jump or was he pushed?
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 09, 2013, 02:02:17 AM »

I'll put this delicately, as I know he posts here intermittently, but I take it David Leaf won't be doing the liner notes for this box. It's funny that he pretty much did everything from the late 80's till....well, 2004. For everything else it was, BWPS was a political moment for the BB's as a whole. Did he jump or was he pushed?

He didn't do anything for the Beach Boys (as opposed to Brian) after the PS box -- he didn't do Hawthorne, Endless Harmony, Ultimate Christmas or the Brother reissues, all of which were pre-2004. And while I believe he is (or was at one point) persona non grata with Brian and/or his 'people', that didn't happen until at least 2008 -- Leaf was at the premiere of That Lucky Old Sun in London.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #230 on: May 09, 2013, 03:06:19 AM »

Yes, your right (as always, Mr Hickey)

He was very active with Brian's touring career up to BWPS though. I got meet and greet passes from him a few times. He seemed a lovely guy.

I always enjoyed his liner notes, especially in the '93 and PS box. I felt his input and insight were solely lacking from the Smile set seeing as how he played as big a part as anyone in keeping the flame alive all those years. Just another casualty of the Melanagement, eh?
Nicko1234
« Reply #231 on: May 09, 2013, 03:26:13 AM »

Personally I am chuffed that Leaf won't be writing the liner notes this time as there was so much BS in what he wrote over the years.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #232 on: May 09, 2013, 03:48:30 AM »

Personally I am chuffed that Leaf won't be writing the liner notes this time as there was so much BS in what he wrote over the years.

Well, he certainly had his slant on things, but that's to be expected if you're that close to the eye of the storm.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 09, 2013, 06:53:01 AM »

Damn, I hate secrets unless I am the one keeping them.  Evil

oh just let the thread drop outta sight until some real news is released.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 09, 2013, 06:54:19 AM »

I seem to recall that he was already on the outs with Brian's people before TLOS, but he was indeed at the premiere. As always, AGD knows where the bodies on this one are buried.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 09, 2013, 07:52:46 AM »

I actually spoke to Leaf about his non-involvement in the Brother Years Re-issues after a BW show in '99 or 2000 and his only comment was "Ask Capitol". He ended our chat shortly thereafter...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 09, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »

I need to compile all the stuff that's come out.  Let me know if I've missed anything.

Anniversary Collection 'ZinePak (Walmart Exclusive)

As far as I know, the only place you'll find "Do It Again", the 2012 studio version.

That reminds me... I forgot 50 big ones and Greatest Hits!  Duh!!

Do it Again (2012) is only on the Walmart exclusive?  Ugh.  I hate that kind of sh-t.

I updated my Reunion-Related Release List back on Page 6, for those who give a poo.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:15:38 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »

I need to compile all the stuff that's come out.  Let me know if I've missed anything.

Anniversary Collection 'ZinePak (Walmart Exclusive)

As far as I know, the only place you'll find "Do It Again", the 2012 studio version.

That reminds me... I forgot 50 big ones and Greatest Hits!  Duh!!

Do it Again (2012) is only on the Walmart exclusive?  Ugh.  I hate that kind of sh-t.

I updated my Reunion-Related Release List back on Page 6, for those who give a poo.

Do It Again was also a bonus on the Japanese CD issue of That's Why God... I believe. But yes, otherwise only available with the zine-pak.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 09, 2013, 10:33:53 AM »

...when I saw this many moons back, it was enough of a fanboy wishlist that my first reaction was "I'll be amazed if something this cool gets past the BBs."  But my understanding is, after a few back and forths that got resolved, for the most part, it did.
I assume the "this" that you're referring to is the MIC box proposed setlist.  I'm not trying to get you to say anything more than you should ... just happy to hear it sounds this promising --- if that's what you're referring to.

I wasn't expecting much, maybe some remixes and a single mix here and there.  Maybe some "Sherry She Needs Me," kind of stuff.  All great stuff of course, but we have SMiLE now, so I thought that might have been enough "adventurous material" for this decade.

But now you got me thinking, Adult Child kind of sh-t.   Cool  Oh man, oh man!!  Ok...I'm not gonna hold out hope, but for me, anything from the Brian is back-era (and the Brian isn't back, he's home pounding out songs on his piano while Denny runs to grab some McDonald's hamburgers for Brian) - era is what I'm talking about.

It's all good though!!!  BRING. IT. ON!!!!

EDIT:  PS -- and I do mean it's ALL good.  As long as it's not 4 discs of California Girls, I Get Around, Surfin' and "rare" fan hits like "It's Ok."  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:38:09 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 09, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »

C'mon, Phil. Answer the question. You said that the Hoffman thread was "about whether (in the absence of "Made in California") people should seek out the 'Good Vibrations: 30 Years of The Beach Boys' box set."

Now, show me a single post in that 4-page thread, as of right now, that backs that statement of yours up.

We're all waiting.

I'm not waiting.

Please, let's not let another thread get derailed with this stuff.  It really is pointless.  You will never, ever convince this guy of anything that he does not want to believe.  It just won't happen.  Accept it and move on.

Now, let's hear a little more from adamghost.

I did leave a one oblique comment about a particular song in another thread but I think people thought I was making a joke (which was, to be honest, my intent).  So there.

I certainly saw that post and posted on your news. A newly discovered, previously unknown, Dennis Wilson recording that is better than WIBNTLA?  Wow! No wonder the boxset got delayed.

ps - for the life of me, I can no longer find your post about this newly discovered Dennis track. Removed?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:04:46 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: May 09, 2013, 02:33:28 PM »

I noticed. I even commented on it. My comment was to ask why no one was commenting on it.  LOL
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 09, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »

I noticed. I even commented on it. My comment was to ask why no one was commenting on it.  LOL

Didn't a bunch of posts get wiped from that WIBNTLA thread? Yes, I think so, so bye bye adams post.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
PhilCohen
« Reply #242 on: May 09, 2013, 08:03:34 PM »

This has been a bad month for Phil. His Sonny and Cher rarities box set got delayed and he's confused about MIC.

We should cut him some slack.

Ha Ha. I'm not even a fan of Sonny & Cher.

Yeah, you prefer the solo Cher material, right Phil? Personally I'm hoping she puts out some more CD product soon, as I am worn out from listening to what CD product she has already released. I can also not wait for the live Wings CD product to be released later this month. Along with the new live Beach Boys CD product.

While it's off-topic, I should mention that even the 8 previously unreleased "Cow Palace" tracks on the forthcoming(and very pricey) "Wings Over America" CD/DVD box set are merely previously unreleased on CD. You see, the "Rockshow" film( to be released on DVD & Bluray in June with the concert presented in full for the first time; 8 more songs than the VHS or Laserdisc) was filmed (guess where).....at The Cow Palace!!! With the already existing 1980's or 1990's "Wings Over America" 2-CD set(a composite show taken from several concerts with identical set lists) and the forthcoming "Rockshow" DVD or Bluray disc you'll have all the released  music performances.......unless you really need the hardcover books, poster, reproduction memorabilia, tour documentary DVD & 96Khz/24-bit audio download that will be exclusive to the $140 box.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:04:37 PM by PhilCohen » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:34 PM »

This has been a bad month for Phil. His Sonny and Cher rarities box set got delayed and he's confused about MIC.

Yeah, you prefer the solo Cher material, right Phil? Personally I'm hoping she puts out some more CD product soon, as I am worn out from listening to what CD product she has already released. I can also not wait for the live Wings CD product to be released later this month. Along with the new live Beach Boys CD product.

While it's off-topic, I should mention that even the 8 previously unreleased "Cow Palace" tracks on the forthcoming(and very pricey) "Wings Over America" CD/DVD box set are merely previously unreleased on CD. You see, the "Rockshow" film( to be released on DVD & Bluray in June with the concert presented in full for the first time; 8 more songs than the VHS or Laserdisc) was filmed (guess where).....at The Cow Palace!!! With the already existing 1980's or 1990's "Wings Over America" 2-CD set(a composite show taken from several concerts with identical set lists) and the forthcoming "Rockshow" DVD or Bluray disc you'll have all the released  music performances.......unless you really need the hardcover books, poster, reproduction memorabilia, tour documentary DVD & 96Khz/24-bit audio download that will be exclusive to the $140 box.

Actually Phil, one doesn't need to buy the box to get the 8 previously released audio tracks from the Cow Palace. You can buy a 3-disc version of Wings Over America on Best Buy's website. The link follows.

Wings Over America
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2013, 08:32:50 PM »

Better to just buy The Monkees Present( Deluxe) set:   http://monkeesstore.warnermusic.com/?eml=rn/050913/monkees3txt

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
PhilCohen
« Reply #245 on: May 09, 2013, 08:40:36 PM »

Better to just buy The Monkees Present( Deluxe) set:   http://monkeesstore.warnermusic.com/?eml=rn/050913/monkees3txt

I ordered "The Monkees Present" set within minutes of it being offered online(today at 3 P.M. pacific time in the U.S.A.). I'm a HUGE Monkees fan, having seen them in July 1967 when I was 11 years old(I was at the 2nd of six shows where The Jimi Hendrix Experience was one of the opening acts), and I've bought all of Rhino's 2-CD & 3-CD expanded Monkees releases. Sadly, the 3-CD box set of "The Monkees Present" will be the final release by the "Rhino Handmade" label. It's not being offered at Rhino's website, but instead it is being offered at The Monkees' own website.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »

I guess this question is no more off-topic than your post.

How come Tork is missing from the album art?

Necessity knows no law
PhilCohen
« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2013, 09:12:32 PM »

I guess this question is no more off-topic than your post.

How come Tork is missing from the album art?

Because Tork left the group after the release of the album "Head"(or, more precisely, after the completion of the "Thirty-Three and a Third Revolutions Per Monkee" T.V. special). "The Monkees Present" was the 2nd post-Tork album("Instant Replay" was the first). I think Tork never got over the fact that none of the songs he had written or recorded during sessions for "The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees" were selected for the album, the result being that the piano playing on "Daydream Believer" was Tork's only appearance on "The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 09, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »

...when I saw this many moons back, it was enough of a fanboy wishlist that my first reaction was "I'll be amazed if something this cool gets past the BBs."  But my understanding is, after a few back and forths that got resolved, for the most part, it did.
I assume the "this" that you're referring to is the MIC box proposed setlist.  I'm not trying to get you to say anything more than you should ... just happy to hear it sounds this promising --- if that's what you're referring to.

I wasn't expecting much, maybe some remixes and a single mix here and there.  Maybe some "Sherry She Needs Me," kind of stuff.  All great stuff of course, but we have SMiLE now, so I thought that might have been enough "adventurous material" for this decade.

But now you got me thinking, Adult Child kind of sh-t.   Cool  Oh man, oh man!!  Ok...I'm not gonna hold out hope, but for me, anything from the Brian is back-era (and the Brian isn't back, he's home pounding out songs on his piano while Denny runs to grab some McDonald's hamburgers for Brian) - era is what I'm talking about.

It's all good though!!!  BRING. IT. ON!!!!

EDIT:  PS -- and I do mean it's ALL good.  As long as it's not 4 discs of California Girls, I Get Around, Surfin' and "rare" fan hits like "It's Ok."  Smiley

Yeah, it was the MIC proposed track list -- at least I assume so.  It didn't have a name then.

My reaction was something along the lines of "hey, it's like someone went through all the Smiley Smile Message Board posts and took notes of everyone's wish lists..."  (I strongly suspect that someone's name was Boyd)

And also, I have to say, every time I get exposed to this kind of information I deliberately try not to pay too close attention to it.  It's kind of the logic that, if someone tortures you, you can't divulge what you don't know (or can't remember).  I confess I did have another "whoa" moment but, well, you'll hopefully have your own soon enough.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:32:13 PM by adamghost » Logged
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 09, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »

This whole subject is becoming one big bore. The box set is vaporware.

Phil, I'm just going to point out something I pointed out last year.

In the space of about twelve months, they put out:  a comprehensive Smile Sessions box set, a new album, two different Greatest Hits, a whole stack of remastered albums, and a second career-spanning box-set.  That's approximately twenty-two discs of Beach Boys material.  More Beach Boys stuff than I think anyone has ever put out, ever, in a similar length of time.

You said the Smile Sessions box set would never come out.

You said the new album would never come out.

You said the Greatest Hits would never come out.

You said the remastered albums would never come out.

Even after the remastered albums came out in Japan, you said the remastered albums would never come out.

Now you're saying the box set will never come out.

You never gave the slightest indication that you felt your statements were in any way doubtful.

Look at your life, man.  Look at your choices.

Cheers,
Jon Blum
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx