gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:02:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127171 times)
Nicko1234
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2013, 01:59:31 AM »

I would love to share your hopes... but I doubt it. I think the box will be aimed at a general market, people who don't have the two-fers, nor the PSS, TSS, or the GV box set. So the MiC one will present a coherent and comprehensive overview of the totality of the band's career. With all the  (over)familiar hits, with top notch live material from all phases, and with some (with emphasis: some) rarities. Your dream about 50% 'new' is, I fear, a pipedream (and mind: I say this with the utmost respect for you, because I share your wish, of course).

Yeah...

It has been intimated in the past that the 6th disc might be reserved for vocal only versions/instrumental versions etc. For the box set to be 50% 'new' that would mean that the other 5 discs would have to have around 60 obscurities which I can't really see. Especially as there can't be that much from the 60s that remains unreleased.

I'm hopeful that from the 70s to the present day we should get quite a few uncollated things though.
Nicko1234
« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2013, 02:04:23 AM »

The guys in charge of this must be as frustrated as the rest of us by having to retread the same old hits packages. 50 Big Ones is for those who need hits.  MiC is for the fans.

Nah, it's for the money.
MBE
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2013, 02:11:55 AM »

I never saw the appeal of the vocal only versions/instrumental versions. I think they take up space that would be better served by live recordings, or songs we haven't heard. I suppose it's fun to hear once, but I propose that would better served as a themed project of its own. 
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2013, 02:58:26 AM »

Agreed. I like that stuff, actually, but much prefer outtakes...Amazing, how many good outtakes they have.
MBE
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2013, 03:39:37 AM »

That's my point, they have stuff in the vaults that is wonderful, a whole host of unknown titles, plus some truly stunning live recordings through 1975 all sitting on the shelf. If none of this existed I think I would welcome these mixes. What they are is OK I suppose, but I feel I learn more listening to a finished recording (even an alt take) as far as how Brian or the others made their records.   I always just resented the space they took up because of what I know to be sitting on a shelf.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2013, 05:21:51 AM »

I can see both sides of the coin.  On one hand box sets are by their very nature aimed towards the collector's market.  There aren't a great deal of consumers who are going to plunk down the amount of coin necessary to purchase a 6-CD box set when they have the alternative available to them of a two disc greatest hits set.  However, it has already been noted that this is going to be a career spanning set so I think they are going to need to include first and foremost, most (if not all) of the tracks that would be included on a standard greatest hits package.  Then they will have to devote another 15-25% of the space on the box set to more obscure material such as album tracks that are either popular amongst the more hardcore fanbase or more than likely just songs that the band themselves like.  Remember it has been stated in the past that Brian Wilson requested that "Let Him Run Wild" did not make the cut for the GV box and it didn't so I'm thinking a lot of the more obscure material will be at the band's discretion if nothing else.

This obviously also goes for the rarities and unreleased tracks as well but Beach Boys fans are lucky in a sense that they have people heading up this project who are aware of what Beach Boys fans are clamoring for.  So at the very least it could be assumed that some of our suggestions have at least reached their intended destinations.  As to whether or not those suggestions are acted upon is obviously anyone's guess. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2013, 06:23:50 AM »

If it isn't 12 discs and 100% new, I ain't interested.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2013, 06:41:22 AM »

Dunno if it's already mentioned here, but all the MIC tracks should be in stereo (whenever possible). only hardcore fans need mono versions from the mono years and they already have the original LP's or mono digital files so pointless to put out more mono stuff. More stereo Smile stuff and WH would be great for this release.
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2013, 06:43:45 AM »

6. Al Jardine told me there were some alternate Radio tracks

Wouldn't it be AWESOME if one of them was the radio Luxembourg recording of 'I've got a friend'*...it's the best version I've heard, and in hearing it in decent quality might just make my life.

*awaits news that everyone already knows the tapes were buried under a road during a 1981 spring clean*
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2013, 06:52:14 AM »

6. Al Jardine told me there were some alternate Radio tracks

Wouldn't it be AWESOME if one of them was the radio Luxembourg recording of 'I've got a friend'*...it's the best version I've heard, and in hearing it in decent quality might just make my life.

*awaits news that everyone already knows the tapes were buried under a road during a 1981 spring clean*

Think ORR means alt TWGMTRadio tracks

“We live in divisive times.”
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2013, 07:13:32 AM »

Even if many of their classic tracks are included, they could be remastered (and many of the songs on previous greatest hits collections could use a better, less bright or compressed mastering) and they could use alternate mixes, whether vintage or newly created mixes.  Wild Honey stereo tracks, Surfin' Safari stereo tracks, unreleased takes from the Hite Morgan sessions (easily could take up half of the first CD), original Brian mixes of outtakes like Trombone Dixie, Child is Father to the Man, etc.  They could easily make MOSt of the set (75% or more) previously unreleased tracks (not songs, but tracks) and they certainly have had the time to do it.

I hope they separate the live tracks from the studio sessions - I never liked how they mixed up the Beatles live stuff and studio outtakes on Anthology.  The difference in sound quality from track to track was disorienting.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2013, 08:17:01 AM »

Personally, I absolutely love the a capella mixes. Add Some Music to Your Day was a revelation, and Forever is sublime. The Smile Backing Vocals montage might be my favorite part of the box set.

They're not how the songs were intended to be heard, but it reveals the complexity of the arrangements and the deft handling of each part. And the blend. The sound of the pure blend is what makes me happy, and I want to hear as many examples as we can, whether from when the guys were barely 20 years old or from last year's recordings for TWGMTR.

The instrumental-only versions don't have the same effect on me, but they're just as interesting. More vocals-only mixes please!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:38 AM »

Dunno if it's already mentioned here, but all the MIC tracks should be in stereo (whenever possible). only hardcore fans need mono versions from the mono years and they already have the original LP's or mono digital files so pointless to put out more mono stuff. More stereo Smile stuff and WH would be great for this release.

That very much depends on whether we're talking about vintage or modern mixes. The modern stereo remixes of, say, Smiley Smile, sound much better than the original mono, but the mono mix of Surfer Girl is absolutely revelatory when compared to the horrible 60s stereo version that had been on CD for decades.

I also think that if vintage mixes exist of unreleased stuff, they should be used -- if, say, a completed 1966 Surf's Up was found, with a vintage mono mix from Brian, I would want to hear that rather than a stereo reconstruction from the multitracks.

But if you're talking about released tracks, but ones that have previously only been issued in mono, being remixed into stereo, or including the 2012 stereo mixes from the remasters, then that makes some sense.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
BergenWhitesMoustache
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2013, 09:07:48 AM »

But if you're talking about released tracks, but ones that have previously only been issued in mono, being remixed into stereo, or including the 2012 stereo mixes from the remasters, then that makes some sense.

I don't want to hear dicked around with, retouched stuff that I've known and loved from the versions they finished back in the sixties.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2013, 09:13:48 AM »

… a completed 1966 Surf's Up was found, with a vintage mono mix from Brian…

I thought the orchestration on the second movement suffered a little on that mix. Glad they held back until 1971 with that one.

Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2013, 09:14:37 AM »

No more Trombone Dixie please. (UM covers it)

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2013, 10:14:53 AM »

Everyday I come here hoping today will be the day we get some news. Every day I'm disappointed. Where is this bloody boxset?
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2013, 10:22:46 AM »

Everyday I come here hoping today will be the day we get some news. Every day I'm disappointed. Where is this bloody boxset?

I doubt we'll get any news until June.   Maybe late-June.  TSS box info didn't come out this far in advance.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »

I would love to share your hopes... but I doubt it. I think the box will be aimed at a general market, people who don't have the two-fers, nor the PSS, TSS, or the GV box set. So the MiC one will present a coherent and comprehensive overview of the totality of the band's career. With all the  (over)familiar hits, with top notch live material from all phases, and with some (with emphasis: some) rarities. Your dream about 50% 'new' is, I fear, a pipedream (and mind: I say this with the utmost respect for you, because I share your wish, of course).

Yeah...

It has been intimated in the past that the 6th disc might be reserved for vocal only versions/instrumental versions etc. For the box set to be 50% 'new' that would mean that the other 5 discs would have to have around 60 obscurities which I can't really see. Especially as there can't be that much from the 60s that remains unreleased.

I'm hopeful that from the 70s to the present day we should get quite a few uncollated things though.

In 50% I included new mixes; like mono to stereo, acapella, instrumental, alternate/extended mixes. Not saying we will get three cds of vault material (though I'd prefer that). Don't forget the BeaChago tapes and C Hall for unreleased live stuff.

Al told me they were finishing some of the leftover Radio tracks and were going to rerecord some of the CD versions in different arrangements (as that was yet to happen, at the time,  I have  no idea if it did. He said they were going into the studio before leaving for Europe.).

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2013, 10:40:04 AM »

If I were a PR/marketing guy, I'd use the PR campaign for the C50 Live Album to start creating a buzz for  MIC. They aren't going to push the boxset with the live album yet to ccome out.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:02:24 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2013, 11:10:10 AM »

I made the 50 Big Ones being for the casual fans and MIC being for the hardcore fans comparison a few months ago. It would be nice of this was a treat for the Beach Boys loyal fan base like TSS was.

I doubt it though. Except Barbra Ann and Surfin USA to take up precious space.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
JohnMill
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2013, 11:24:25 AM »

I made the 50 Big Ones being for the casual fans and MIC being for the hardcore fans comparison a few months ago. It would be nice of this was a treat for the Beach Boys loyal fan base like TSS was.

I doubt it though. Except Barbra Ann and Surfin USA to take up precious space.

There are few artists that take that risk though.  Of the artists I follow only Bruce Springsteen had the courage to release a box set devoted entirely to rarities without any retread through his familiar catalog.  The Beatles did have their "Anthology" series but those were two disc sets spaced out by enough time in between releases where the consumer could choose to go ahead with the series or not if he so chose.

To be honest though from my vantage point, Beach Boys fans have nothing to complain about when it comes to catering to the hardcore fanbase.  Few blue chip bands have gone as far as The Beach Boys have in presenting package after package filled with interesting and rare material that their fans covet.  While it's true that The Beach Boys cater towards the casual fans as well with endless repackaging of their greatest hits, they have also been quite mindful of their hardcore fanbase for two solid decades now.  I also remember Mark Linett saying in an interview last year that he hopes to have future opportunities to continue to bring more rare and unique Beach Boys product to the masses in the future.  But I assume much like anything else it's all a question of supply and demand.  If Beach Boys fans keep shelling out for these box sets and rarities packages, we'll keep getting more down the line.

So before anyone gripes there are tons of other fanbases who would give their eye teeth to have been as spoiled as Beach Boys fans have been in terms of having a team behind their releases that really is in synch with what the Beach Boys fanbase wants. 

God Bless California
For It Marks My Faith To See
You're The Only State With The Sacred Honor
....to sink into the sea
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »

No more Trombone Dixie please. (UM covers it)

The Brian supervised mono mix has never been released - it was not on UM and was discovered after the Pet Sounds box set.  Never booted.  I want it!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2013, 03:43:51 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:10:56 PM by zatch » Logged
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2013, 10:57:02 PM »

Since we still have no news on the box, I was wondering what everyone's feelings are on the song "Almost Summer". I personally think it should be one of the tracks in the set because it was written by three Beach Boys (Brian, Mike, and Al) and features Mike on lead vocals, and what sounds like Brian on falsetto. And it was a top 40 hit. And its basically a Beach Boys song in everything but name. And most importantly, its pretty rare and not available very easily these days. I think the only CD release was on some random various artists comp from the '90s. and it's not on iTunes.

I concur!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx