gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:31:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California set for August 27th!!!!  (Read 127179 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2013, 12:25:18 AM »

Funny after all this time we know jack squat about this box.

Word.

It's the curse of the Philster, I tells ya.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 03, 2013, 12:28:17 AM »

God, that Mike song. If he sang that to me as a proposal I'd accept.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2013, 09:14:05 AM »

Wow, it's like 2011 all over again!  Smiley
PhilCohen
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2013, 09:32:54 AM »

I know when The Beach Boys will agree to the release of the "Made in California" box set. They'll release the box set when nobody cares anymore, just like Crosby,Stills,Nash & Young and their box set of 1974 tour recordings(now postponed until 2014, after months of hype). These two dysfunctional bands have no credibility any more, since archival projects are announced, then, usually, they never materialize. For both groups, their interpersonal feuds mean more to them than the continued loyalty of their fans.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2013, 09:42:44 AM »

I wonder if this will make it onto the box set?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEpqxVB-5VA

Only Mike Love solo song that'll make the cut is "Rockin' the Man in the Boat".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2013, 10:28:29 AM »

Word.

It's the curse of the Philster, I tells ya.
Thanks Don, Phil is  back Cool Guy

So what do we know?

1. Release date.
2. Title
3.  Number of discs
4. BRI has approved
5. Alan Boyd is producing with Mark L.
6. Al Jardine told me there were some alternate Radio tracks

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »

Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 06, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »

Ok.  Inventory Time.
This is as good a thread as any.  I need to compile all the stuff that's come out, or due/rumored to come out from this whole reunion thing.  Let me know if I've missed anything.  I'm also including my rating/review on what's worth getting (and links for the more "fringe stuff")

SMiLE Sessions (Box Set) - Get it while supplies last.  Buy another copy then.
SMiLE Sessions (2-disc) - Get it.
That's Why God Made The Radio - Yes, essential.
The Beach Boys 50:  Doin' It Again (DVD/Blu-Ray) - Maybe.  Still haven't purchased.  I'm not a huge fan of not learning anything new...
The Beach Boys 50:  Live in Concert (DVD/Blu-Ray) - Maybe.  I don't know. Still haven't purchased either...
Good Vibrations Tour - Yes, I really really want this!  Wish it was coming out on Blu-ray.
The Beach Boys Live:  The 50th Anniversary Tour - All over it.
Made In California (Box Set) - Yes, I'm assuming this will be totally essential.
New Albums?? ... - I'm still not sure if there are OR aren't to be any new recordings.  I know the reunion tour ended badly but.... is there any hope?
Remasters - Essential for me, but completely understand others passing.  I'm still holding out hope that they complete the set and give us the rest.  I think these were a nice (not perfect) improvement... and I like the single album packaging in mini-LP-like sleeves.
Smile – 1CD European release -- Huh
Mojo 45rpm -  Cabinessence/Wonderful -- Pretty sure you can't get this no mo'.
TWGMTR 45/CD single -- They still make single cds?
IIT - CD single -- I guess they do.
Anniversary Collection 'ZinePak (Walmart Exclusive) -- Huh Link??
Greatest Hits: 50 Big Ones -- Tempted to get if it drops to 14 bux.  It has a single version of Isn't It Time, I believe.
Greatest Hits (Not 50 Big Ones) -- Haven't bought.

What else?  That it?

EDIT:  Added stuff
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 10:12:41 AM by Bean Bag » Logged

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 06, 2013, 11:40:16 AM »

The live DVD is a total waste of money. Just a sad reminder of what could've been.

Hopefully the live CD will make up for it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 06, 2013, 11:54:49 AM »

Ok.  Inventory Time.
This is as good a thread as any.  I need to compile all the stuff that's come out, or due/rumored to come out from this whole reunion thing.  Let me know if I've missed anything.  I'm also including my rating/review on what's worth getting (and links for the more "fringe stuff")

SMiLE Sessions (Box Set) - Get it while supplies last.  Buy another copy then.
SMiLE Sessions (2-disc) - Get it.
That's Why God Made The Radio - Yes, essential.
The Beach Boys 50:  Doin' It Again (DVD/Blu-Ray) - Maybe.  Still haven't purchased.  I'm not a huge fan of not learning anything new...
The Beach Boys 50:  Live in Concert (DVD/Blu-Ray) - Maybe.  I don't know. Still haven't purchased either...
Good Vibrations Tour - Yes, I really really want this!  Wish it was coming out on Blu-ray.
The Beach Boys Live:  The 50th Anniversary Tour - All over it.
Made In California (Box Set) - Yes, I'm assuming this will be totally essential.
New Albums?? ... - I'm still not sure if there are OR aren't to be any new recordings.  I know the reunion tour ended badly but.... is there any hope?
Remasters - Essential for me, but completely understand others passing.  I'm still holding out hope that they complete the set and give us the rest.  I think these were a nice (not perfect) improvement... and I like the single album packaging in mini-LP-like sleeves.

What else?  That it?

Add

Smile – 1CD European release
Mojo 45rpm -  Cabinessence/Wonderful
TWGMTR 45/CD single
IIT - CD single

“We live in divisive times.”
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »

The live DVD is a total waste of money. Just a sad reminder of what could've been.

Hopefully the live CD will make up for it.
Yeah, that's why I haven't given them my money.  Both of those "Beach Boys 50" video releases smell of what we used to call in the TV world - "promos" or "specials."  A short, slapped together advertisement shown shortly before a release to build excitement and eventually included as "bonus material" on a more substantial video release forth-coming. 

There really should be a "Made In California: Live" -- a corresponding video box set, that would include a lot more (full length) concert footage (old and new), a two-part (2 disc) updated, in-depth documentary and bunch of great TV appearance/specials over the years, etc. etc.  Brain is Back!  You name it.  The whole deal.

Now's the time Boys!

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2013, 12:54:34 PM »

I think I'm the only person on this forum who doesn't care about The Beach Boys as a live band except for the early-to-mid-1970s when they were actually very good, and maybe the more interesting late-'60s efforts like the Hawaii concerts.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2013, 01:53:20 PM »

Me too, pretty much.  Although, I'd extend it to the late 70s - early 80s.  For me -- personally, damn... the years on the DC mall on the 4th of July is pure, manic Beach Boys heaven.  Short shorts, slightly cleaned-up beards, Denny muscling out some primal butt-smashing drum beats -- Brian getting into it, looking thinner -- Carl in Charge -- Al's happy, Bruce is happy and Mike Love in his trucker hat glory...

F-Yeah!!!  That's some good sh-t right there, I'm tellin' you boy!  woooooooo-weeeee!!!

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2013, 02:38:19 PM »

Well, I've never heard Love You-era live recordings so I can't speak to those. Were they as amazingly demented as I hope?
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2013, 04:08:30 PM »

So what do we know?

1. Release date.
2. Title
3.  Number of discs
4. BRI has approved

7. Roughly two-thirds of material is typical well-known stuff. Other third of greater interest to hard core fans.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2013, 04:23:10 PM »

Anyone care to take a stab at the amount of not "unreleased," but non-booted, completely unheard songs and/or recordings, we may realistically hope to get?

I suppose this may well be a fool's errand, but I'm curious (and though I love the 'Boys, as more of a Beatlefan, I'm less qualified than almost anyone here to offer an educated guess).
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »

I need to compile all the stuff that's come out.  Let me know if I've missed anything.

Anniversary Collection 'ZinePak (Walmart Exclusive)

As far as I know, the only place you'll find "Do It Again", the 2012 studio version.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2013, 07:34:43 PM »

So what do we know?

1. Release date.
2. Title
3.  Number of discs
4. BRI has approved

7. Roughly two-thirds of material is typical well-known stuff. Other third of greater interest to hard core fans.
We don't know that yet. If that were the case, it would have come out last year. I'm guesing there  is a reason it's taking so long.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:58:37 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »

Since we still have no news on the box, I was wondering what everyone's feelings are on the song "Almost Summer". I personally think it should be one of the tracks in the set because it was written by three Beach Boys (Brian, Mike, and Al) and features Mike on lead vocals, and what sounds like Brian on falsetto. And it was a top 40 hit. And its basically a Beach Boys song in everything but name. And most importantly, its pretty rare and not available very easily these days. I think the only CD release was on some random various artists comp from the '90s. and it's not on iTunes.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2013, 11:28:55 PM »

I'd like a decent copy of it. It's better than at least half of MIU.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko1234
« Reply #145 on: May 07, 2013, 12:24:31 AM »

Since we still have no news on the box, I was wondering what everyone's feelings are on the song "Almost Summer". I personally think it should be one of the tracks in the set because it was written by three Beach Boys (Brian, Mike, and Al) and features Mike on lead vocals, and what sounds like Brian on falsetto. And it was a top 40 hit. And its basically a Beach Boys song in everything but name. And most importantly, its pretty rare and not available very easily these days. I think the only CD release was on some random various artists comp from the '90s. and it's not on iTunes.

I would guess that they might not be able to include the Celebration version due to contractual issues. Could be wrong though.

I think there is a demo version that The BBs did though. Or they could include the live rendition along with Cruisin' if they are of good enough quality.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 07, 2013, 12:30:52 AM »

So what do we know?

1. Release date.
2. Title
3.  Number of discs
4. BRI has approved

We don't know that yet. If that were the case, it would have come out last year. I'm guesing there  is a reason it's taking so long.

Who is the "we" you are referring to in "We don't know that yet"?  Made in Calif didn't come out last year because the audio wasn't finalized and completed until a little over two months ago.  The Thirty Years of the BB's box was released twenty years ago in June for the summer season, but this one is scheduled for late Aug because that's a great time to release a box set for the forthcoming Christmas Holiday Season.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 07, 2013, 12:40:44 AM »

So what do we know?

1. Release date.
2. Title
3.  Number of discs
4. BRI has approved

Who is the "we" you are referring to in "We don't know that yet"?  Made in Calif didn't come out last year because the audio wasn't finalized and completed until a little over two months ago.  The Thirty Years of the BB's box was released twenty years ago in June for the summer season, but this one is scheduled for late Aug because that's a great time to release a box set for the forthcoming Christmas Holiday Season.

We as us on the board. (though some on the board d know). Where do you get the 1/3, 2/3s thing?  That isn't conformed unless you'd care to share your insider info. 

You may well be right but I'm hoping for that atleast half the set will be unreleased live and studio stuff, rare tracks and new mixes.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2013, 01:46:02 AM »

So what do we know?

1. Release date.
2. Title
3.  Number of discs
4. BRI has approved

Who is the "we" you are referring to in "We don't know that yet"?  Made in Calif didn't come out last year because the audio wasn't finalized and completed until a little over two months ago.  The Thirty Years of the BB's box was released twenty years ago in June for the summer season, but this one is scheduled for late Aug because that's a great time to release a box set for the forthcoming Christmas Holiday Season.

We as us on the board. (though some on the board d know). Where do you get the 1/3, 2/3s thing?  That isn't conformed unless you'd care to share your insider info. 

You may well be right but I'm hoping for that atleast half the set will be unreleased live and studio stuff, rare tracks and new mixes.

I would love to share your hopes... but I doubt it. I think the box will be aimed at a general market, people who don't have the two-fers, nor the PSS, TSS, or the GV box set. So the MiC one will present a coherent and comprehensive overview of the totality of the band's career. With all the  (over)familiar hits, with top notch live material from all phases, and with some (with emphasis: some) rarities. Your dream about 50% 'new' is, I fear, a pipedream (and mind: I say this with the utmost respect for you, because I share your wish, of course).

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2013, 01:57:39 AM »

I think the box will be aimed at a general market, people who don't have the two-fers, nor the PSS, TSS, or the GV box set.

Which means the next set will be for those people who don't have the two-fers, nor the PSS, TSS, GV box set or the MiC box set.

Then they also mustn't have Sounds of Summer, Endless Summer, 20 Golden Greats, Icon, 50 Lashings of Sunstroke, UPF50+, or any of those other summery Best of… Greatest Hits etc etc.  I mean, what's the point trying to force feed them the hits any longer if they haven't already got them?

Where will we end up if that scenario goes on endlessly? Eventually, in 2063, there'll be a box set with nothing but the original 45rpm mono mix of Good Vibrations, like 200 times, for those who don't have that.  And those people, God bless 'em, would probably rather have a handful of grain and 100ml of clean water.

My hope is for a thick set of deep and previously unreleased. If they need to represent the hits, then let it be by using new-to-our-ears live versions, alt versions, rare mixes, new stereo mixes. But no more same-old same-old… pretty please…

The guys in charge of this must be as frustrated as the rest of us by having to retread the same old hits packages. 50 Big Ones is for those who need hits.  MiC is for the fans.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 24 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx