gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:47:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New VDP album on the way!  (Read 8349 times)
scallions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »

All set I bought it yesterday.

IT'S AWESOME.

I emailed VDP and he said it's coming out cd only this year.

The vinyl/cd pack was limited to 800 copies worldwide.

I got it for $30.00
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 11:11:00 PM »

I bought both Super Chief and Song Cycle today…Super Chief dud come with a cd, listened to vinyl once, loved it!! Sing Cycle sounds great!!! The album cover is a thick cardboard unlike Super Chief, the record sleeve paper has what I think is the original Warner Bros sleeve ad promoting Harpers Bizarre, Grateful Dead, Peter Paul & Mary, and VDP…nice touch!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 07:37:48 AM »

Now streaming:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2013/apr/29/van-dyke-parks-songs-cycled-album-stream?CMP=twt_fd

“We live in divisive times.”
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »

My vinyl arrived today, and so Van Dyke Parks helped me nurse my hangover.

It's probably his finest since Jump but there are some major problems. Why, for instance, does he have an Esso Trinidad Steel Band track on there? Or versions of Amazing Grace that date from the 70's (and have been released as bonus tracks before)? Or, weirdly, do the same trick as he does on Super Chief by inserting Leaning On Jesus somewhat crudely into The Parting Hand? I'd forgive that on EP releases, and I don't mind the re-records of his work, but it comes off lazy if you're presenting this as an album of new work.

That said, if you ignore things like that it's a really wonderful listen - His arranging and orchestration is a marvel throughout, the work on Black Gold and Wedding In Madagascar is top notch. His vocals also sound great, I think he's doubling himself a lot and there's also the return of lush female backing vocals. And the opening half of The Parting Hand.... Damn. It's nearly a  great album.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2013, 12:16:56 PM »

I would love to go to an outdoor festival with the  Esso Trinidad Steel Band.... Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »

Very nice album by Van Dyke, though truly new it isn't. He is an amazing artist, you can truly pick out a Van Dyke song by the way he arranges stuff!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2013, 02:16:41 AM »

Hypehat -

would you be so kind to check your PMs?

Best, THD.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »

Anyone else care to comment on Super Chief? That's the one i'm really interested in.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »

not that great aside from one or two tracks
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 10:56:34 PM »

I quite enjoy Super Chief, I'm already a big soundtrack/film score fan, so it didn't take much convincing to like this. Just really great orchestrations!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
monicker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 08:37:06 PM »

I assume Van Dyke chose to re-record these film cues for Super Chief rather than using the original recordings from the films because he didn’t have the rights to those recordings? It’s odd how some of this has a bit of that weird orchestra-in-a-box OCA sound to it, though it’s clearly mostly an orchestral recording. Of the stuff that’s not previously unheard, does anyone know which films some of these cues come from other than anything from Two Jakes and Wild Bill?

Also, two questions about Song Cycle: The mono mix is only available on vinyl, correct, no CD? I've actually never heard Song Cycle in mono and can't imagine it. How do you guys feel about this album in terms of mono vs stereo?

And for those of you who have heard the Bella Union 2012 remaster, how does it compare to the 1990 WB CD? If i have the WB CD, is it worth getting the Bella Union remaster? I've read a few reviews that say that the remaster sounds much better compared to the thin sound of the 1990 CD but i wanted to ask people's opinion here. Thanks.

Don't be eccentric, this is a BEACH BOYS forum, for God's sake!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 10:00:06 PM »

I haven't heard anyone say anything about Song Cycled yet. It released a week or two ago, right? It is just on cd? I wanna get both on vinyl and cd. I went to get it at my record store and they said it wasn't out yet. I picked up at Black Gold VDP 45 since I wanted toget some VDP…I heard there were other 7" singles put out by VDP but all I'd heard of was this and Wall Street. Anyone know any other singles put out?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »

http://www.bananastan.com/singles.html

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 10:49:40 PM »

Good call, thanks. I'd like to get my hands on the holdback time single, the all golden single, and Wall Street single. I highly enjoy each and everyone of those songs especially Wall Street!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 01:53:00 AM »

I haven't heard anyone say anything about Song Cycled yet. It released a week or two ago, right? It is just on cd? I wanna get both on vinyl and cd. I went to get it at my record store and they said it wasn't out yet. I picked up at Black Gold VDP 45 since I wanted toget some VDP…I heard there were other 7" singles put out by VDP but all I'd heard of was this and Wall Street. Anyone know any other singles put out?

Songs Cycled is available on both vinyl and CD (in fact Bella Union were doing a deal if you bought both at the show last week). However, if you're buying all the singles, you don't need it -- it's just a collection of all the tracks on the singles, with nothing that wasn't on them.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 04:23:32 PM »

I assume Van Dyke chose to re-record these film cues for Super Chief rather than using the original recordings from the films because he didn’t have the rights to those recordings? It’s odd how some of this has a bit of that weird orchestra-in-a-box OCA sound to it, though it’s clearly mostly an orchestral recording. Of the stuff that’s not previously unheard, does anyone know which films some of these cues come from other than anything from Two Jakes and Wild Bill?

Also, two questions about Song Cycle: The mono mix is only available on vinyl, correct, no CD? I've actually never heard Song Cycle in mono and can't imagine it. How do you guys feel about this album in terms of mono vs stereo?

And for those of you who have heard the Bella Union 2012 remaster, how does it compare to the 1990 WB CD? If i have the WB CD, is it worth getting the Bella Union remaster? I've read a few reviews that say that the remaster sounds much better compared to the thin sound of the 1990 CD but i wanted to ask people's opinion here. Thanks.

It's weird - one of the tracks is the actual recording from The Wild Bill soundtrack, as is a portion of The Parting Hand from Songs Cycled. Granted, it's probably my favourite bit of scoring from him, but still weird to just hear it in a supposedly newly recorded work.

The Song Cycle remaster is so good. There's such clarity in everything. Pick up the vinyl, it comes with a CD.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 07:05:20 PM »

It's weird - one of the tracks is the actual recording from The Wild Bill soundtrack, as is a portion of The Parting Hand from Songs Cycled. Granted, it's probably my favourite bit of scoring from him, but still weird to just hear it in a supposedly newly recorded work.

The Song Cycle remaster is so good. There's such clarity in everything. Pick up the vinyl, it comes with a CD.

Song Cycle came with a cd? Mine didn't. Super Chief did. I'll check again.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2013, 10:53:59 AM »

Guys, anyone still looking for this? I was in my local record store today and they actually have 4 more copies. They got 2 copies of the Big Star album there too. Send em an email and I'm sure they will arrange postage if you want in - http://dodobeach.de/

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2013, 06:18:04 PM »

Guys, anyone still looking for this? I was in my local record store today and they actually have 4 more copies. They got 2 copies of the Big Star album there too. Send em an email and I'm sure they will arrange postage if you want in - http://dodobeach.de/
Super chief or Song Cycled?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2013, 04:13:13 AM »

super chief

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx