gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:25:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New VDP album on the way!  (Read 8355 times)
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:51:59 AM »

3D

http://bellaunion.com/2013/02/van-dyke-parks-to-release-songs-cycled-on-may-6th/

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:05:57 AM »

It's great, isn't it? We are so blessed these days... actually, I am very happy that he decided to issue the 6 singles of the last couple of years on one regular CD. Originally, a luxurious box set with the vinyl was planned, with a pretty hefty price tag (for Europe, on import). That item may yet appear, but it's been taken off of preorder lists. By the way, there will also be a vinyl-plus-CD version of this one, for € 24.99. Needless to say I'm going to get this one.

BTW: I know this from mailing directly to the administrator of his own web site.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 03:14:19 PM »

Wonderful news. Looks to be a terrific blend of the varied phases and myriad sonic interests of VDP. Can hardly wait!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 04:46:47 PM »

Songs Cycled isn't the only new album Van Dyke's got coming out this month. There's also this:

http://bellaunion.com/2013/03/van-dyke-parks-super-chief-music-for-the-silver-screen/

The title suggests it's drawn from his previous soundtrack work, but as Van Dyke explains in the text linked above, it's a little more complicated, and no doubt marvelous, than that.  The man is on a roll.

While that April issue of Uncut with Bowie on the cover is still around, check out the two-page interview with Van Dyke - read it today and it's got plenty of funny passages.

And also check out this new interview:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopfeatures/9975874/Van-Dyke-Parks-rolls-on-with-a-new-album-Songs-Cycled.html
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 04:51:46 PM »

Forgot to say the Telegraph interview is highly worth reading because the Australian, or whoever he is, conducting it actually refers to Songs Cycled as Van Dyke's "first proper album" since Tokyo Rose in 1989. If you know VDP, you know he is VERY proud of Moonlighting - most of it still constitutes his live set to this day - and just as proud of OCA.  So before long, VDP is delivering some zingers at the ill-informed journalist. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 11:54:06 PM »

Here is the track list of Super Chief:

1. The Super Chief
2. Go West Young Man
3. The Dining Car
4. The Pleasure Dome
5. Bar Talk
6. Joan Crawford
7. Last Call
8. Into The Gloaming
9. Crack Of Dawn
10. Flats As A Platte
11. Old Joe Clark
12. The Water Is Wide
13. I Ride An Old Paint Horse
14. Iron Horse

15. Teepee Motel
16. By Campground
17. Forgotten Not Gone
18. The Continental Divide
19. Just Yonder
20. Virgin Territory
21. A Spanish Kitchen
22. Bolero Torero
23. The Road Runner And Rattler
24. Bed Of Stones
25. So Long Santa Fe
26. Crossing The Colorado
27. A Date With Valentino
28. A Short Chat With Miss Crawford
29. The Joshua Tree
30. Chateau Marmont

The titles in yellow remind me of the music of some American combo the name of which escapes me for the moment.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 12:51:59 AM »

So 2013 to date (released and forthcoming):

New David Marks album
David Marks retrospective due
Double Beach Boys live album
Another Beach Boys live DVD
Made In California box set
Van Dyke Parks Songs Cycled Album
van Dyke Parks Super Chief album
Cali Munoz album

… and all variants of above…

That's of the top of my head… feel free to embellish.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 12:59:21 AM »

So 2013 to date (released and forthcoming):

New David Marks album
David Marks retrospective due
Double Beach Boys live album
Another Beach Boys live DVD
Made In California box set
Van Dyke Parks Songs Cycled Album
van Dyke Parks Super Chief album
Cali Munoz album

… and all variants of above…

That's of the top of my head… feel free to embellish.

It's a bit dazzling, isn't it? As I wrote above: we are so blessed...

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 02:30:58 AM »

Do love this sneaky alternate (?) cover for Songs Cycled...

The EPs were far too expensive in my local record shop (like, Ł15 for two songs is insane even by my tenuous grasp on finance) when they were coming out, so very happy they're being compiled in an album. Preordered!

Also, I'd heartily recommend the remastered Song Cycle on Bella Union too, it sounds marvelous. They're reissuing the mono mix in America for Record Store Day too, I believe.

Somewhat irritatingly, Super Chief is a Record Store Day exclusive and Record Store Day is the day I try and avoid my record shop at all costs.... Might have to make an exception.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 02:42:24 AM »

Hi Hypehat -

I don't know what the Bella Union label is planning for Super Chief - the April 20 vinyl is said to be limited (well, don't know what that means - TSS was proclaimed to be a limited edition also...). But I wonder if they will follow this one up with a regular CD release. I hope so, in case I can't lay my hands on the LP.

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 03:28:48 AM »

April 20th is Record Store Day and it's listed as exclusive product, but 1) it's most likely not going to be the greatest seller so there'll be copies left over afterwards - my local still has RSD stock from two years ago! and B) that doesn't exclude a general release. If not, I'll write an angry letter to The Times.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 04:18:56 AM »

April 20th is Record Store Day and it's listed as exclusive product, but 1) it's most likely not going to be the greatest seller so there'll be copies left over afterwards - my local still has RSD stock from two years ago! and B) that doesn't exclude a general release. If not, I'll write an angry letter to The Times.

You may quote me in that letter, as The Don, and I am willing to plant a horse head in the bed of any guilty party, should a general release not take place.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 07:01:03 AM »

I really don't get the "limited to vinyl' approach. I collect vinyl, listen to them frequently; I get that it's an intimate listening experience, but some of us like to take music outside the walls of our dens/rooms etc. Personally, I find laying in a meadow with my ipod more real an experience than laying on my bed in a dark room listening to speakers.

If the vinyl came with a FLAC/MP3 download code I'd be more excited to purchase it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 07:46:12 AM »

I really don't get the "limited to vinyl' approach. I collect vinyl, listen to them frequently; I get that it's an intimate listening experience, but some of us like to take music outside the walls of our dens/rooms etc. Personally, I find laying in a meadow with my ipod more real an experience than laying on my bed in a dark room listening to speakers.

If the vinyl came with a FLAC/MP3 download code I'd be more excited to purchase it.

Good points, well made. And I don't like the concept of such an album being available to only a lucky few (should 'very limited' imply that it'll be gone pretty soon).

As a VDP veteran fan (38 years and counting) I feel, em, what's the right word, oh yes, entitled to his art; he should share it with us, with me I mean, I have a right to enjoy it, d*mn, I mean, c'mon, it's his moral duty, compare it to finding a cure for a terrible disease and keeping it to yourself!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2013, 10:01:07 AM »

It says vinyl + CD on the RSD page which is probably the best compromise EVA, so fear not fellow travellers. Bella Union did that with the reissues too. Nice label.

I'm a little excited about Super Chief - I've always wanted Van Dyke to let loose and write a symphonic work!

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »

First of all, f*** Record Store Day. Waste of my bloody time. Got 4 records.

I did get Super Chief, though - the only one my record shop had, apparently only 250 made it into the UK. I must be Brighton's only Van Dyke Parks fan.

It's pretty much worth the 3 hour wait on the nicest day of the year, with people looking at you like you have some kind of disease or asking 'who's Record Store Day?' Only on the first side atm, but it's very jazzy. Also very Van Dyke. Full orchestra and his usual weird embellishments. I don't have enough knowledge of his soundtrack work outside of the Wild Bill/Two Jakes CD, so it all seems quite new*. Knowing my luck, they'll release it properly in a week or so.

*Apart from 'I Ride An Old Paint', which is 'Leaning On Jesus' from the aforementioned CD.

Don, if you weren't lucky up at your end... it did come with a CD so I could... y'know....

OK, just finished listening and this is pretty freaking sweet. I've wanted Van Dyke to do something like this for ages, and he doesn't disappoint. Beautiful stuff.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:13:00 AM by hypehat » Logged

Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 12:44:01 PM »

Do love this sneaky alternate (?) cover for Songs Cycled...

This needs to be the cover.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »

First of all, f*** Record Store Day. Waste of my bloody time. Got 4 records.

I did get Super Chief, though - the only one my record shop had, apparently only 250 made it into the UK. I must be Brighton's only Van Dyke Parks fan.

There were about 5 copies of Super Chief all still unsold in my local record shop here in Berlin today however this seems to be a basic lp edition (no cd with it) and at €24.99 (no gatefold, nothing fancy) I don't see them selling too quick.

Only thing I really wanted "Big Star" never arrived in Germany it seems (hopefully later this week), no mono copies of song cycle either.

Cant understand charging 12 euro for rsd seven inch singles either, some record companies are just taking the piss! and in danger of ruining the whole thing.

Funny enough the only thing I actually bought (not rsd obviously) was this which id never seen or heard of before -

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 09:47:27 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 09:52:46 AM »

There were about 5 copies of Super Chief all still unsold in my local record shop here in Berlin today however this seems to be a basic lp edition (no cd with it) and at €24.99 (no gatefold, nothing fancy) I don't see them selling too quick.

Only thing I really wanted "Big Star" never arrived in Germany it seems (hopefully later this week), no mono copies of song cycle either.

Cant understand charging 12 euro for rsd seven inch singles either, some record companies are just taking the piss! and in danger of ruining the whole thing.

Funny enough the only thing I actually bought (not rsd obviously) was this which id never seen or heard of before

The only thing I wanted from this RSD was the Big Star release too, which my local store didn't have (don't think many made it to the UK), which is disappointing. My store also didn't have Super Chief so I came away empty-handed. I like the idea of RSD but it's exclusivity can be detrimental to big fans, be it because of geography or price. Needless to say all the releases I wanted have made their way onto ebay for extortionate amounts of money, but that's life XD
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 10:54:47 AM »

The Big Star was one of the ones I got! I think they said on twitter they still had some in either my shop (Resident Records) or Rough Trade, and they're available online as of today, so go look. They have to be releasing it soon normally anyway, unless you're really jonesing for coloured vinyl.

It's... alright - either I must have fiddled with my amp beforehand and not realised or they really ramped up the bass on the new mixes, but there's some nice stuff on there. The best ones are where they actually deal away with a lot of bells and whistles like guitar and harmony overdubs - the version of Thirteen is a lot sparer than any mix I've previously heard and it's great. Some of the Third stuff is really cool, but you do wonder what the f*** you can actually do with the Big Star catalogue by this point as they don't really have 'outtakes' per se.

As for VDP, the same applies - think RT have some left. The CD in mine left a nice imprint on the vinyl too  Angry Only one skip, which is still a bit sh*t for new vinyl, but it could be worse - my copy of The Last Waltz I bought skips right in the middle of my favourite track, might try some homebrew cleaning methods. Mine doesn't come with a gatefold, but the inner sleeve has a little essay about his school, seeing Einstein at the movies, and how to act.

(The other thing I got was Space Ducks by Daniel Johnston, which is actually perfect. Trust a tiny indie label to do it right)

scallions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 09:16:03 AM »

Can anyone get me a copy of Super Chief, I can't find it anywhere!

GRR..

Do all copies come with a cd?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 02:27:35 PM »

Can anyone get me a copy of Super Chief, I can't find it anywhere!

GRR..

Do all copies come with a cd?

I don't see anything on the cover about a CD, but I don't suppose that means anything, as there's very little mentioned on the cover. 
I paid $28 for it. If you want it, you can have it( plus Shipping) unless you want to come pick it up. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
scallions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 02:45:48 AM »

Thanks I might pick it up at a record store today... if not I DO WANT IT!

I will let you know tonight
Ted
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 05:19:01 AM »

The Big Star was one of the ones I got! I think they said on twitter they still had some in either my shop (Resident Records) or Rough Trade, and they're available online as of today, so go look. They have to be releasing it soon normally anyway, unless you're really jonesing for coloured vinyl.

It's... alright - either I must have fiddled with my amp beforehand and not realised or they really ramped up the bass on the new mixes, but there's some nice stuff on there. The best ones are where they actually deal away with a lot of bells and whistles like guitar and harmony overdubs - the version of Thirteen is a lot sparer than any mix I've previously heard and it's great. Some of the Third stuff is really cool, but you do wonder what the f*** you can actually do with the Big Star catalogue by this point as they don't really have 'outtakes' per se.

It's unfortunate that the soundtrack doesn't include the alternate version of My Rival. It's been bootlegged in poor quality but a much cleaner version appears in the film. It was, in fact, the main reason I'd hoped for a soundtrack release. Hey ho.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 06:32:20 AM »

Thanks I might pick it up at a record store today... if not I DO WANT IT!

I will let you know tonight

Someone else emailed and bought it. I'll see if they have any others if I get back to the store

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx