gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680877 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 01:23:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I found the tracklist for the live album!!!  (Read 43376 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: April 17, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »

nah, I kid (mostly), they probably went through a range of photographs and this one they figured best. Since the show will (is this confirmed?) show songs from different performances I suspect the location of the photo is not significant.

I don't think it's been confirmed that it will definitely be from multiple performances, but I think the facts that it doesn't precisely match any one setlist, that there was no show which would be wholly releasable without major post-production work, and it just says "live" rather than "live in X", suggest it very strongly indeed.
I suspect it's a compilation a la the In Concert album, although I do hope they provide information as to which show each performance is from (we'll be able to tell with California Girls at least, because Bruce will be saying "I wish they all could be Texas/Swedish/whatever girls" at the end)

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 17, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »

i love how Mike and Bruce appear to be "swinging" Al like a giddy toddler

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 17, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »

They chose a show from Singapore?

Why am I not surprised  LOL

too many fat assed americans.

nah, I kid (mostly), they probably went through a range of photographs and this one they figured best. Since the show will (is this confirmed?) show songs from different performances I suspect the location of the photo is not significant.

They should have used a picture from the red rocks..

Jesus just look at that crowd, it's beautiful

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 17, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »

i love how Mike and Bruce appear to be "swinging" Al like a giddy toddler

LOL LOL LOL LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 17, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »

I can imagine several sets of songs from one gig. "Honda" kicked off ,what, 6-7 songs in a group then the first half of the shows closed with a group of car songs. To keep the sound mix the same those songs should be kept as a whole.

The Chiba show Bruce doesn't mention a place in "Cali Girls" so maybe that or another generic version will be used.

This will be the last live BB album and to me the album cover is the band saying 'Goodbye and Thank You' to not just that audience but to us all. Classic!
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 17, 2013, 11:58:02 AM »

When I read Capitol's initial Facebook post it made me think this album was being culled from various performances:

Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 17, 2013, 11:58:27 AM »

The man himself addresses his keyboard parts (from the BBB Message Board): [...]

Nice of him to fill people in on what's going on.  Smiley

I'm going to try and find some time to finally sit in the audience for a Brian concert and just enjoy listening to the music. The last time I was able to be in the audience to see Brian, etc., was at the Cow Palace in San Francisco in 1963!!! Terry Melcher, Lou Adler & I flew to San Francisco just to see the band rockin' the house in front of thousands of people.....What a great memory & what a great night!
I probably misremember but I thought he did attend a BW solo concert a couple of years ago. A SMiLE gig or a Pet Sounds gig, I think.

I think he has a bootleg BWPS-live-DVD and of course was part of the '98 gig of Brian. But other than that I haven't heard anything about that.

Yep he sure has , its from the SMiLE Tour in Bristol (UK) he even (If I remember correctly) gave a little review of it on BBB Board - Oh I'm in the front row of that show whistling at Taylor Mills all night  Cheesy
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 17, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »

I can imagine several sets of songs from one gig. "Honda" kicked off ,what, 6-7 songs in a group then the first half of the shows closed with a group of car songs. To keep the sound mix the same those songs should be kept as a whole.

Yeah, I think the surf medley at the beginning of the show and the car medley closing the first half will probably be continuous performances.

That said, though, they were playing to a click most of the time (I believe -- they were synched to videos, so I can't see how they could have played otherwise), using digital tuners, and these recordings will be taken straight from the board. Theoretically, they *should* be able to splice songs together mid-song closely enough that you can't hear the join, though I doubt they will.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 17, 2013, 12:11:34 PM »

This will be the last live BB album and to me the album cover is the band saying 'Goodbye and Thank You' to not just that audience but to us all. Classic!

Plus it symbolizes a victory. They finished each and every show and completed a complicated tour all completely unscathed (relatively speaking!).  I'm sure there were a bunch of other images in the running from various locations but I think this one is the most appropriate on many levels.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 17, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »

Plus it symbolizes a victory. They finished each and every show and completed a complicated tour all completely unscathed (relatively speaking!).  I'm sure there were a bunch of other images in the running from various locations but I think this one is the most appropriate on many levels.

And comparing it to the tacky My First Go At Photoshop that is the DVD cover gives hope that the production on the music inside will be comparatively tasteful, too, compared to that...

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 17, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »

Yup....that DVD cover is really atrocious!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: April 18, 2013, 09:19:09 AM »

Yeah, I think the surf medley at the beginning of the show and the car medley closing the first half will probably be continuous performances.

As the songs are played in full those are not medleys... They're movements! A surf movement and a car movement! Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »

As the songs are played in full those are not medleys... They're movements! A surf movement and a car movement! Cheesy
So, when they play 4 or 5 SIP songs does that make it a bowel movement?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 18, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »

As the songs are played in full those are not medleys...

The word 'medley' has absolutely nothing to do with whether the pieces in the medley are played in full or not.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: April 19, 2013, 08:53:29 AM »

So, when they play 4 or 5 SIP songs does that make it a bowel movement?

If it consists of the first 4 songs, definitely! Cheesy (had to look up the words, that joke had nearly got lost in translation, me no English native speaker, thanks for the lesson! Smiley )

As the songs are played in full those are not medleys...

The word 'medley' has absolutely nothing to do with whether the pieces in the medley are played in full or not.

Wikipedia says "In music, a medley is a piece composed from parts of existing pieces, usually three, played one after another, sometimes overlapping." I interpret "parts" as "not fully played". But maybe you have sources that I don't know yet, I'm willing to learn.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 19, 2013, 09:35:40 AM »

Wikipedia says "In music, a medley is a piece composed from parts of existing pieces, usually three, played one after another, sometimes overlapping." I interpret "parts" as "not fully played". But maybe you have sources that I don't know yet, I'm willing to learn.

The definition in most dictionaries is something like (to take two examples from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/medley )
"a piece of music combining tunes or passages from various sources"

or

"a musical composition consisting of various tunes arranged as a continuous whole"

A medley is just any piece of music which has tunes from more than one source played continuously. It doesn't imply anything about how much of any of the compositions is used.

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 20, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »

Wow, was Brian irritated by that incense or what? He even slaps at the smoke near the end. Was bothered by its presence from the very start if you look at it closely.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2013, 03:29:14 AM »

Non-import edition of the Live C50 CD now listed at Amazon UK…

but only as a SINGLE CD.

No tracklist.  I hope this is an error…    Angry

“We live in divisive times.”
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 21, 2013, 06:03:44 AM »

but only as a SINGLE CD.

Don't worry -- that's actually the same page as for when it was showing as an import, and then it said "number of discs: 1" even when the tracklist showed two discs. Amazon's product information pages are often inaccurate like that.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 21, 2013, 07:38:15 AM »

but only as a SINGLE CD.

Don't worry -- that's actually the same page as for when it was showing as an import, and then it said "number of discs: 1" even when the tracklist showed two discs. Amazon's product information pages are often inaccurate like that.

Many thanks Andrew, I feel reassured!   :D

“We live in divisive times.”
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: May 02, 2013, 04:51:34 PM »

No love for "Betsy".  Tongue

I'm quite fond of Betsy (perhaps partly because I'm from the Detroit area...), and it was a great performance last year!  I'm sad I missed out on "Let Him Run Wild."
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: May 04, 2013, 05:11:18 PM »

So, we should probably be getting some preview clips of this thing in short order, no?  Anybody know how long before release date a site such as Amazon usually puts up those :30 audio samples?  For that matter, shouldn't review copies be out by now?

Personally, I'm rather curious about the approach the band took with this thing, as far as the amount of sweetening done in the studio, and the like, and I'm know that I'm not the only one.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 06, 2013, 12:13:43 PM »

Official Promo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqvf7QFl7eI

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 06, 2013, 04:27:53 PM »

Right on.  Thanks for the link.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: May 07, 2013, 07:05:55 AM »

The sound mix, once all the overdubs, replacement vocals and autotune are done and mixed down in the studio, should sound remarkable consistent no matter where the songs were recorded!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx