gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:59:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MIC(!) & Live album get release dates  (Read 16092 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2013, 02:07:36 AM »

They only played it two times and both times it was far from perfect, performance wise.
Care to elaborate on that? Huh Sure it wasn't perfect and everything, but certainly good enough?

EDIT: I might have to watch those Youtube clips again... (it's been a while).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 02:08:37 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 02:09:07 AM »

Ehmm..what is this live release exactly? An incomplete show again? Smiley

Double CD. We don't know anything past that, though given CD lengths we can presume it will be at least as long as the shorter shows from the tour, but that it won't be as long as the longest.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 02:13:10 AM »

They only played it two times and both times it was far from perfect, performance wise.
Care to elaborate on that? Huh Sure it wasn't perfect and everything, but certainly good enough?

EDIT: I might have to watch those Youtube clips again... (it's been a while).

Good enough to sound good on the night, but nowhere near the quality of performance people would expect from a major label CD.

POSSIBLY they could comp together a track taking elements from both performances, but at that point it's so far from being "live" that one would question the point.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Nicko1234
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2013, 02:19:54 AM »

Good enough to sound good on the night, but nowhere near the quality of performance people would expect from a major label CD.

POSSIBLY they could comp together a track taking elements from both performances, but at that point it's so far from being "live" that one would question the point.

I'm not sure they could even do that as Brian seemed to have problems with the verses on both nights as he couldn't quite remember the words or when to sing them.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2013, 02:23:41 AM »

I think a special moment might have been captured though, esp the RAH performance which came out of the blue… I hope it's on there.

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2013, 03:27:53 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up, Awesoman, much appreciated.

Makes me wanna stand up and shriek:"awesome", "amazing" and "OMG" without pausing for breath.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2013, 03:35:44 AM »

Good news. Finally. Although when MIC arrives summer will be almost gone. So to speak.  Undecided

Quote from: Generation42
Oh, and please, any folks at BRI who may be reading - please make certain one of the performances of "Summer's Gone" winds up on the live album.

I'm guessing it won't be on the cd.

Yeah, you can either have "no messing with the sound" or Summer's Gone, but you won't get both. Brian messed up his lead quite badly both nights.

I thought it was fine at Wembley

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2013, 03:45:18 AM »

I thought Brian was lipsyncing it at Wembley, he sounded just like the record! Instrumentation could have been better thought out, probably the rare instance where Cowsill didn't quite serve the song with his martial beat.

But sh*t yeah, MIC! Am also really interested in the live album, depending on who's mixing. Linett FTW. If it's an album like that Isn't It Time EP, I might fold.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Wah Wah Wah Ooooo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2013, 05:19:02 AM »

This was great news to wake up to. Now I've got to start saving my pennies and my dimes, because before I know it there will be a time, when I will buy a brand new Made In California.

"I'm in a band. We're called the Beach Boys." ~ Brian Wilson
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 05:38:48 AM »

I hope the Carl/Dennis tributes will be included.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2013, 06:04:17 AM »

Why? You already have the recordings of Carl and Dennis that they used...

Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2013, 06:33:24 AM »

I hope the box will include Brian's Where Is She? and the California Feeling demo and Dennis' Carry Me Home and Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 06:36:47 AM »

Maybe this is what Brian has been working up in the studio ...

Live album sweetening and the full version of the suite for the box!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 06:49:10 AM »

Good news. Finally. Although when MIC arrives summer will be almost gone. So to speak.  Undecided

Quote from: Generation42
Oh, and please, any folks at BRI who may be reading - please make certain one of the performances of "Summer's Gone" winds up on the live album.

I'm guessing it won't be on the cd.

Yeah, you can either have "no messing with the sound" or Summer's Gone, but you won't get both. Brian messed up his lead quite badly both nights.

I thought it was fine at Wembley

I'm ok with the Wembley version, too. The whole Wembley concert does not fit 2 CDs, I already tried that.

Hey, Capitol rec execs! I will buy this only with Summer's Gone and Dance Dance Dance on it! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2013, 06:55:54 AM »

Hey, Capitol rec execs! I will buy this only with Summer's Gone and Dance Dance Dance on it! Grin

Tripe laddie… you'd buy this if it was 160 minutes of Brian thumping out Proud Mary solo on the piano…

“We live in divisive times.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »

Tripe laddie… you'd buy this if it was 160 minutes of Brian thumping out Proud Mary solo on the piano…

You don't know me - I didn't buy the live DVD, for that reason.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2013, 08:19:32 AM »

So how long do we wait before we get a track listing?  Grin
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2013, 08:28:35 AM »

What if till the mid-August?

Does anyone remember how soon before TSS was released it was before we got a track list?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2013, 08:39:44 AM »

What if till the mid-August?

Does anyone remember how soon before TSS was released it was before we got a track list?

I was going to go back and try to find out in The Smile Sessions Boxset! thread, but then I saw it's 380 pages long Shocked - forgot how epic that thread was.

If memory serves it was about a month (or two?) before release. I remember trying my hardest for a while to keep away from the audio samples on Amazon.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2013, 09:04:35 AM »

Maybe they'll use the performance of "Forever" where Stamos had to fill in for "Digital Dennis". Have mercy!

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »

True, but I would like to see a live version of Forver being released (even though it's semi-live).
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2013, 11:13:27 AM »

True, but I would like to see a live version of Forver being released (even though it's semi-live).
This is a 2-CD set. There is nothing to see.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2013, 12:07:59 PM »

You wouldn't want something like a more obscure song like "California Saga" or "Our Prayer" to take the spot instead of "Forever?" I mean, we have a limited amount of space on this 2 disc set..why waste it on a song we've all heard countless times and that includes a lead vocal that we already have?
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2013, 12:16:31 PM »

I will happily eat my smelliest pair of socks if Brian Douglas Wilson was lipsynching Sunner's Gone at Wembley. I was there and I have a recording.

2CDs could be anything from "it is a bit much for one CD" (90 minutes) to two cram packed full discs (160 minutes).

My guess is it's gonna run to over two hours which means the vast majority of the material delivered can be included. I expect something culled from multiple performances to give the best performances of each song - as is normal with live albums and has been for decades. No issues there.

I'd love a 3LP release but I am guessing this is a pipe dream. Still, I am hopeful that the 2CD set will contain more material than the ridiculous DVD release.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »

Now we're going to have the inane incessant posts of "I can't wait until August", probably by the same ones who filled threads on the board months before the Smile box came out.

Be watching for it.  The posts will have kind of a whiny tone to it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx