gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
682039 Posts in 27673 Topics by 4096 Members - Latest Member: MrSunshine September 22, 2024, 02:40:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: M & B Tour 2013  (Read 158255 times)
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2013, 03:00:29 PM »

If we gauged Mike's interest by how often he points and waves at somebody in the crowd, he must really hate his life and all the songs the band performs.  Tongue

Sersiously though, and I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing that if Mike doesn't want to perform a song, they aren't going to do it.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »

That was terrible but it's very cool they played it

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Nicko1234
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2013, 03:06:55 PM »

If we gauged Mike's interest by how often he points and waves at somebody in the crowd, he must really hate his life and all the songs the band performs.  Tongue

Sersiously though, and I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing that if Mike doesn't want to perform a song, they aren't going to do it.

Exactly. I think him pointing and waving is more a sign that he has spotted a lovely whose norks he would like to spunk all over.  Smiley

Mike would indeed have not performed the song unless he wanted to. Hence the reason why Heroes and Villains is rarely performed by the touring band.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2013, 03:12:37 PM »

That was terrible

No it wasn't.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »

Yes it was. But I'm glad you enjoyed it, that makes my day.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2013, 03:23:24 PM »

Yes it was. But I'm glad you enjoyed it, that makes my day.

I think Cowsill is pretty amazing, singing like that while bandin them drums.   Drumroll
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:04:39 PM by OregonRiverRider » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Nicko1234
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2013, 03:28:34 PM »

Yeah, Cowsill is an excellent performer and the band did a good job with this one.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2013, 03:33:38 PM »

That might not be the correct inference.  Mike often steps out of the way, pretty respectfully for the lead singer to shine.  If you see various clips where Mike does not have the lead, he steps back, and only steps to the mic when he has a part to sing.  People are waving at him all the time;  he is waving back.   That analysis is such a stretch of the imagination.  JMHO

Just check out some songs where  others sing a full lead.  Totten, Bonhomme and Cowsill rocked on that Wild Honey.  I'm glad someone caught it.  And, depends on the venue, how persistent the camera police are.  It is a great addition to the setlist and awesome that Cowsill does it.  

When it was released, his Cowsill Family band was at the top of the charts, and he probably remembers WH when it was released on AM radio.  So, I think he grew up hearing it and does a great job.  And the rest of the band is truly engaged, but let him hit that one out "of the park."  Wink
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2013, 03:35:59 PM »

That might not be the correct inference.  Mike often steps out of the way, pretty respectfully for the lead singer to shine.  If you see various clips where Mike does not have the lead, he steps back, and only steps to the mic when he has a part to sing.  People are waving at him all the time;  he is waving back.   That analysis is such a stretch of the imagination.  JMHO

I was just joking around, hence the  Tongue
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2013, 03:44:29 PM »

My bad, I just read the text. Mea culpa.  (I'm working on an iPad and I'm blaming that!) LOL
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2013, 03:45:55 PM »

My bad, I just read the text. Mea culpa.  (I'm working on an iPad and I'm blaming that!) LOL

Hello
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2013, 03:56:23 PM »

I think him pointing and waving is more a sign that he has spotted a lovely whose norks he would like to spunk all over.  Smiley

Exactly. You ain't gonna see him wave to a dude like that!  But not sure "Norks" applies here as you used it in a sentence.

From the Urban Dictionary: (I had to look it up)

1. Nork: a native or inhabitant of North Korea.

2. Nork: A person who is not only nerdy, but also dorky.

And 3rd, but certainly not least:

3. Nork: A furious bout of anal sex, often without lube.

Wait, wait, wait justaminute!

Just looked in the Slang Dictionary and here's what it says:

1. Norks (plural): Australian term. A pair of female breasts that grab attention, not always attractive - can also be unusual in shape and size.

OK, I know where Nicko's from!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:57:38 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Nicko1234
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2013, 04:02:43 PM »

Exactly. You ain't gonna see him wave to a dude like that!  But not sure "Norks" applies here as you used it in a sentence.

From the Urban Dictionary: (I had to look it up)

1. Nork: a native or inhabitant of North Korea.

2. Nork: A person who is not only nerdy, but also dorky.

And 3rd, but certainly not least:

3. Nork: A furious bout of anal sex, often without lube.

Wait, wait, wait justaminute!

Just looked in the Slang Dictionary and here's what it says:

1. Norks (plural): Australian term. A pair of female breasts that grab attention, not always attractive - can also be unusual in shape and size.

OK, I know where Nicko's from!

Combine all 4 of those definitions together and you've got Mike's dream date!  LOL
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »

Let's see: a nerdy, dorky slanty-eyed Commie with strangely shaped mammaries who's into rough anal sex.

I think the VU meter for offensive commentary has not only been pinned, it's been dixie-fried.

And for goodness gracious sake, everyone, Mike is a happily married man...I'm sure that while, like Jimmy Carter, he had (and still has...) "lust in his heart," he is not going out and getting cross-wise with his wife. Jackie strikes me as someone who's had a serious amount of input into her pre-nup...she did not ride into Mike's life on a load of watermelons, if ya know what I mean.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »

Care to elaborate? I'm not even a big fan of "Wild Honey" (the song), but even I thought that performance was awesome.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2013, 06:44:16 PM »

Care to elaborate? I'm not even a big fan of "Wild Honey" (the song), but even I thought that performance was awesome.

Didn't like the vocals, thought the song was just flat in general..

Maybe it's because I'm such a huge fan of the song to begin with. Anyway relax people it's just one guys opinion

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »

Honestly, I thought Cowsill sounded just a little bit rough...and not in the way this song demands it. The harmonies were warm, the band was goood, the solos were great...but keep in mind that he sang this after performing like four nights straight with some of the most demanding vocals in the show.
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2013, 09:02:10 PM »

That guitar solo on the live WH sounded kinda 1983ish, but I'm a pushover for 1983ish soloing....
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2013, 11:58:12 PM »

I think him pointing and waving is more a sign that he has spotted a lovely whose norks he would like to spunk all over.  Smiley

Exactly. You ain't gonna see him wave to a dude like that!  

Actually, he's waved and pointed at me like that on at least one occasion.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2013, 12:05:01 AM »

Must have been your "Norks" Andrew! Grin
Nicko1234
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2013, 12:24:23 AM »

Let's see: a nerdy, dorky slanty-eyed Commie with strangely shaped mammaries who's into rough anal sex.

I think the VU meter for offensive commentary has not only been pinned, it's been dixie-fried.

And for goodness gracious sake, everyone, Mike is a happily married man...I'm sure that while, like Jimmy Carter, he had (and still has...) "lust in his heart," he is not going out and getting cross-wise with his wife. Jackie strikes me as someone who's had a serious amount of input into her pre-nup...she did not ride into Mike's life on a load of watermelons, if ya know what I mean.

Slanty-eyed Commie? You do understand that making that sort of racist comment could be considered a lot more offensive than anything else said in this thread right?

Mike and Jacqueline do indeed appear to have a happy marriage but not an exclusive one. As I said in another thread, she knew she was marrying a rich shagger and clearly accepted that. At gigs Mike will sometimes scan the auditorium for a female with suitable norks before the show starts and then get one of the road crew to invite them back stage. After the gig they return there to meet up again with Dr. Love.

It's not exactly a new things as Jack Lloyd's book about the band talks about how Mike, Al, Carl, Dennis and Bruce nailed anything that moved back in the late 1960s.
Nicko1234
« Reply #96 on: April 22, 2013, 12:34:06 AM »

Must have been your "Norks" Andrew! Grin

Indeed.  LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 22, 2013, 02:54:25 AM »

Maybe it's because I'm such a huge fan of the song to begin with. Anyway relax people it's just one guys opinion

I'm with Shady on this one.
Cowsill imo is not a great singer to begin with. I don't care if he can drum and sing at the same time as long as his voice sounds like this. Maybe it would sound better if they'd change the key. But all in all, he should keep to drumming; he's great on that!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 22, 2013, 05:42:43 AM »

I'm with Shady on this one.
Cowsill imo is not a great singer to begin with. I don't care if he can drum and sing at the same time as long as his voice sounds like this. Maybe it would sound better if they'd change the key. But all in all, he should keep to drumming; he's great on that!
A couple of short weeks ago, I lucked out hearing the first night of WH and in total shock, hearing it. My sense after watching this Upload on YouTube, is that he seemed to be using a style closer to Blondie Chaplin's, where my impression on the first night was to have been using Carl's studio version of the melody line.  

My impression after watching the Blondie version on YouTube is that they let Blondie do it the way he wanted.  And, I could be completely off, and this version did not have the tannerin at the beginning.  It might be that they are trying different versions.  There are some alternative/remix versions, with audio only on YouTube.  The guitar and organ sections are screaming and fabulous. The whole band was really into this song, when they performed.  

John Cowsill is a very fine singer.  IMO
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:46:17 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »

I certainly give them props for performing "Wild Honey" live.  Grin

The vocals all sound lower somehow, compared to other live versions of WH I've heard (Blondie, Carl, Matt J on lead). Cowsill's voice has a very different timbre from the other lead singers, and it becomes more of a rock number with him singing, sounding more or less disembodied behind the drumstand screen. Although I don't think Christian sounds that much like Carl, he does have a similar vocal timbre to his cousin -- I wonder if he has tried the lead. I do like that Scott T used Carl's live guitar ending to WH, that was a nice touch.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx