gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681614 Posts in 27646 Topics by 4085 Members - Latest Member: RZLSommer June 20, 2024, 12:03:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: M & B Tour 2013  (Read 147610 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 16, 2013, 12:55:50 AM »

I think this kind of proves (in my mind) you can't have a group touring as "The Beach Boys" without Mike Love. He's just so essential to the image, and he still has a very distinctive voice - the same one that is singing lead on the majority of the hits the fans come to hear. The BAD thing touring this summer (damn, I can't believe I just used that acronym) is bound to be incredible and no doubt I'd enjoy that show much more if I were to go see it, but Mike, even at his age, is still the livelihood of the BBS.

it seems he needs 10+ lush tropical plants and a surfboard to remind everyone of that.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:50:46 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: May 16, 2013, 01:34:40 AM »

Excellent performance, great energy! 71 years old! and as said excellent drumming. Nice to see that they can still thrash out a punky surf performance like that.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 16, 2013, 11:07:16 AM »

Thanks, Rocker, good video.
Btw, liked the tree-decorated design & half-subdued lighting in the stage.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 03:14:21 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2013, 07:02:09 AM »

Well this was surprising!!

The Beach Boys played "Okie from Muskogee" this week, either on May 17th or 18 in Tulsa, OK!

http://youtu.be/vzCq3wj1z3k

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2013, 07:17:39 AM »

The Beach Boys played "Okie from Muskogee" this week, either on May 17th or 18 in Tulsa, OK!

Wow! Thanks, STE for that link!

That is awesome and harkens (also spelled hearkens elsewhere) back to the early 70's setlists! That rocks!

Ya, they are on a roll!  Wink
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2013, 07:28:08 AM »

Wow, that's brilliant! And the response actually seems okay too! they need to come back to the UK again!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2013, 07:59:59 AM »

Reading this review makes me want to see the M&B show - but not for $70. Were those the cheap seats?  I would fork over $25-$30.

$35 is what we paid to see Herman's Hermits w/ Peter Noone, I would pay this to see M & B but not $70.

Sounds like a decent show though and I hear the tickets can be less depending on the venue so I will hold out.

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2013, 08:20:49 AM »

Interesting - I hear a  "China Grove" vibe in the break. someone pass the doobie!  Smokin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »

It seems like these past 1-2 years Mike sounds the best he has since at least 1980 which is fantastic. The classic Mike Love nasal voice but not the over nasal zone he spent the 80s and 90s in. GREAT JOB!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2013, 01:30:46 PM »

...that one can go back in the vaults now... Shocked

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 22, 2013, 09:31:23 AM »

Whoa, what a great reminder of a song! I very like the 1971 cover, one of the best covers The BBs did! Very groovy. Cool that Mike & Co. revived this gem again! Despite the fact they slowed it a little down & the guitar licks are played differently, I still considerably enjoyed the 2013 rendition. There's sth. fresh about it. Also, Mike's vocals aren't that nasal as in other performances & the drum/cymbal beat gives additional rocking sound to the whole.

Many-many thanks for the find, STE!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 04, 2013, 04:01:29 AM »

California Dreamin' featuring Michelle Michelle Phillips, June 1st:

http://youtu.be/Fv1ojDjmlWs

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 04, 2013, 06:47:40 PM »

Check out the set from May 31st in New Jersey.....about 10 songs longer than the benefit gig the following evening...hopefully things beef back up to this level for the summer shows!

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2013/bergen-performing-arts-center-englewood-nj-43d9939f.html
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 05, 2013, 07:57:54 AM »

Are there any recordings of "The Warmth Of The Sun" with Scott on lead?  I'd really like to hear this.  I think he did a great job with "Let Him Run Wild" and "Balad Of Old Betsy".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 09, 2013, 04:08:07 PM »

Ambha Love siging Sail On Sailor. Not too shabby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TGhIFn8KIA
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 09, 2013, 04:46:33 PM »

Nice voice. She did it justice. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
TommyPlural
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2013, 09:29:39 PM »

Still no footage of "Isn't It Time" from any recent shows?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2013, 11:07:38 PM »

Just left the Saratoga mountain winery tour;

Lots of energy.  ML was strong and engaged.  JC was killer on several lead vocals including WH.  Hearts were full of spring was sweet and with near perfect harmony with mike,Bruce, Randall, and Scott acapella......VERY nice!
B$ was stronger than usual.  ST blazed on lead.  RK took the lead with BJon some tunes.  Interesting to b close enough to see who was doing what.  JCs energy on drums is as good as any drummer Ive witnessed.  Surfer Girl harmony was odd and a little off for my ears........hwfos on the other hand was perfect.  A 3 hour show with a 15 to 20 minute intermission.
 Perfect CA night.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: June 10, 2013, 08:59:43 AM »

Nice! I'm happy she didn't oversing it with trying too hard to sound soulful like it seems to be usual today.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SummerInParadise23
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 10, 2013, 09:36:10 PM »

Really want to hear/see Scott on Warmth of The Sun... Smiley
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 11, 2013, 05:43:56 AM »

I think this kind of proves (in my mind) you can't have a group touring as "The Beach Boys" without Mike Love. He's just so essential to the image, and he still has a very distinctive voice - the same one that is singing lead on the majority of the hits the fans come to hear. The BAD thing touring this summer (damn, I can't believe I just used that acronym) is bound to be incredible and no doubt I'd enjoy that show much more if I were to go see it, but Mike, even at his age, is still the livelihood of the BBS.

Great post.
And look a Cowsill circa 1:20!!! He seems to be channeling DW.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2013, 07:41:01 AM »

For a high school girl, she did cool vocs. Surely got talent. But overall, I prefer this song to be sung by Blondie; Brian wasn't bad on leads as well.

cwalter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2013, 11:33:03 PM »

Mike and Bruce: Please come back to the Stanislaus County Fair and do Wild Honey!

Glad to hear the good reports. M&B always put on a great show; I've been seeing them since the late 90's and they're sounding better than ever lately.

Of course the 50th tour last year and TWGMTR was great (and still is a big hit on my 5 CD changer...it's aged ok with me).  So... now I'm hoping that Brain's new album is that 'Rock n' Roll' record he's been threatening for awhile, and then the whole group gets back together afterward for the final amazing album with all the cool suite stuff and then they tour again...or is that too much to dream?
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 13, 2013, 06:35:52 PM »

bought my ticket to see them in September. I'm also going to see Brian and co play in Illinois in July so I will see both factions this summer. These will be my first "Beach Boys" concerts ever
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2013, 07:21:51 AM »

I almost started a new topic, but this thread might be the right place.

Who's handling the falsetto parts for M&B these days?  Is it Scott? I know he sang Ballad of Ol' Betsy last year.

Baker, Foskett and M. Jardine have filled the role for the BBs over the last few decades.

But my question is this: when did Bruce quit his original purpose of subbing for Brian's parts on stage?

And how much did he ever do?  While searching this site before posting, I see Al is credited with a lot of the work.
And I see that Bruce reportedly still has a very nice falsetto, even though my ears can't pick it out on TWGMTR and his C50 performance in Atlanta of Disney Girls sounded a little croaky.

How high is Bruce going in this year's shows?
Does he have any standout harmony moments in the show at all?  It just seems his voice is lost in the stack unless he's got the lead like in DG or Wendy.

And, while I'm at it, who handled the wailing falsettos during the years of Bruce's absence? Looks like Baker didn't join until the early 80s.

Thanks!

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx