gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 07:49:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 Go Down Print
Author Topic: M & B Tour 2013  (Read 145837 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: October 20, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »

You're defending Mike, but no one is attacking him  Cheesy
No, I'm looking at the history objectively.  And, I think one can infer an indirect attack on the Touring Band, with statements on 6 piece v. 12 piece band. And, I've seen Brian with 7 guys.  And, under whatever formal and informal circumstances, I'll see this music.  Even if it was just Brian and Foskett, with an acoustic guitar.  It is all good. 

And, I think the Touring Band occasionally has worked with various symphonies.  That I haven't seen, yet. 
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: October 20, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »

How is stating that one back has 6 members and the other has 12 an attack? That's the truth, and the reason M&B can't play the more complex arrangements as well.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: October 20, 2013, 09:53:28 AM »

It's a terrible attack! We have to pretend it's all the same and there's total Beach Boys Equivalency. John Q Public can't tell the difference between a synthesizer an a French horn, remember?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:54:38 AM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 20, 2013, 09:56:53 AM »

Just because you don't see the equivalency...doesn't mean it isn't there  Wink
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:58:22 AM by Woodstock » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 20, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »

Its not attack to say the M&B band cannot do the 1966-1967 material well with a smaller group. Hell, the BBs in 1966 and 1967 sounded not too great trying to do the complex material live.

The BBs just seemed obsessed with non-stop touring without helping Brian back in LA. Brian was working on H&V while band was content to pound out "fun,fun,fun" on the road.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: October 20, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »

Its not attack to say the M&B band cannot do the 1966-1967 material well with a smaller group. Hell, the BBs in 1966 and 1967 sounded not too great trying to do the complex material live.

The BBs just seemed obsessed with non-stop touring without helping Brian back in LA. Brian was working on H&V while band was content to pound out "fun,fun,fun" on the road.

The Touring Band kept the music in the face of the globe.  That was the job that Brian needed them to do.  They were in service of Brother Records...

There is a 1967 vintage concert listed as Detroit.  Those were the 12 song setlist days.  They sounded pretty fine to me. 

That is the distinct advantage of being a late boomer!   Wink

Ya, I saw Mike play the Theremin, saw Dennis toss his drum sticks to the adoring ladies!  Saw the striped shirts, white suits, the turbans, the short-shorts, (we had those shorts, as well!) Low tech splendor on stage!

And, I'll drink to that!   Beer
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 20, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »

wassup david leaf the first

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 20, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »

Back on topic, you need a bigger band to do Brian's later works justice since five BBs or six M&B members just don't cut it.

I honestly don't think M&B are the touring band either, the C50 was the touring band of the BBs music. Hopefully all the members get back together at some point.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:56:55 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Nicko1234
« Reply #658 on: October 20, 2013, 10:58:18 AM »

Back on topic, you need a bigger band to do Brian's later works justice since five BBs or six M&B members just don't cut it.

I honestly don't think M&B are the touring band either, the C50 was the touring band of the BBs music.

Nah, you don't need a bigger band. When M&B have performed Here Today, You Still Believe in Me and other stuff from that era they haven't had too many other complaints.

Obviously Brian's band does a superb job and you do need a string and horn section if you are going to do Smile in its entirety.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: October 20, 2013, 11:33:25 AM »

Back on topic, you need a bigger band to do Brian's later works justice since five BBs or six  :beerM&B members just don't cut it.

I honestly don't think M&B are the touring band either, the C50 was the touring band of the BBs music. Hopefully all the members get back together at some point.

Seriously, they are vocalists.  They needed nothing but their voices and a tambourine!  I crack up to remember Barbara Ann at the front of the setlist, but, it was only two years after the Party album.

Did the link disappear?  I just listened to that!  Great!  And, that Wild Honey is close vocally, I think to Cowsill's.  Carl was the best, ever. 

Thanks for that YouTube!   Beer for the poster! 
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: October 20, 2013, 12:13:23 PM »

Touring IS what bands do. Try making it as a band without touring, it doesn't happen. Even the early Beatles made most of their money by touring and the publicity they got from it helped them sell more records.  I don't think Brian resented them touring without him. He's the one that didn't want to tour. If the band didn't tour, it would negatively impact radio play and record sales, and Capitol Records would insist on their touring, too, to keep their record deal. That's how the music industry works. It's even more true today. The only want modern bands make money is by touring and doing live shows. They don't get paid for making recordings, which are pirated or played for fractions of pennies on Spotify.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 20, 2013, 08:51:42 PM »

Apparently Mike and Bruce did Jumpin Jack Flash during the encore a couple of weeks ago!!!! Is that possible?!?!
Also who's been doing Christian's parts with him out? I see they've added several more Bruce songs (Wendy/Please Let Me Wonder) replacing some of the songs Christian sang.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 20, 2013, 09:00:12 PM »

I haven't read about JJF.

Wendy is usually in when they do an extended set. At least it has been since C50, but I'm still not sure why Bruce sings it when Mike is right there.

I just read a setlist from a few nights ago that had Please Let Me Wonder. A nice example of how they can dig deep, but not necessarily dig late like Brian's band does. Mike and Bruce really do sound best on the pre-Pet Sounds material so it's nice to see a nod to the less known material.

Have Mike and Bruce EVER done Please let Me Wonder before? I'm sure they have but I couldn't find anything on it. The most recent one was a very sweet rendition from 1990 with Carl and Al. 
Nicko1234
« Reply #663 on: October 21, 2013, 02:43:48 AM »

I haven't read about JJF.

Wendy is usually in when they do an extended set. At least it has been since C50, but I'm still not sure why Bruce sings it when Mike is right there.

I just read a setlist from a few nights ago that had Please Let Me Wonder. A nice example of how they can dig deep, but not necessarily dig late like Brian's band does. Mike and Bruce really do sound best on the pre-Pet Sounds material so it's nice to see a nod to the less known material.

Have Mike and Bruce EVER done Please let Me Wonder before? I'm sure they have but I couldn't find anything on it. The most recent one was a very sweet rendition from 1990 with Carl and Al. 

Yeah, they've done Please Let me Wonder quite a bit. Certainly in the U.K. in 2004.

They've done Jumpin Jack Flash before as well.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 21, 2013, 06:56:18 AM »

They should really try It's About Time I feel like Cowsill could rock to that one. Or even change Disney girls for tears in the morning or Deirdre just to change it up Bruce still gets his moment but it's also something different.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: October 21, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »

It seems that Christian Love is taking some time off in October and guitarist Brian Sutherland is replacing him.
Has anybody seen a show in October? Any feedback about Brian S.? Does it take any lead vocals?   Who sings Vibes and Kokomo now?

Just got back from an M&B show. Brian S. sang several leads, including some of Carl's/Christian's. He's got a good voice, doesn't sound like anyone in particular, and he handled his parts well. I recall that he sang Carl's part in "Kokomo." They used the video with Carl singing lead for GOK.

Because of the concert setup, it was a hits-predominant show. I was hoping for "Wild Honey," but that was not to be, due to time constraints.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: October 21, 2013, 12:42:50 PM »

They should really try It's About Time I feel like Cowsill could rock to that one. Or even change Disney girls for tears in the morning or Deirdre just to change it up Bruce still gets his moment but it's also something different.

I've been suggesting that for awhile. It would make just as much sense! There aren't that many casual fans that know Disney Girls anyway.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: October 21, 2013, 12:51:50 PM »

I've been suggesting that for awhile. It would make just as much sense! There aren't that many casual fans that know Disney Girls anyway.

Even do all three just to give Bruce some more leads and people want to see mike and Bruce sing!!! They are the only beach boys on stage!!! Cutting Ballad of ole Betsy for tears in the morning would be no loss to 99% of the fans there.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: October 21, 2013, 01:31:55 PM »

I wish they do would do Please Let Me Wonder. Bruce has been singing that since the mid 80s when it's in the setlist.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: October 21, 2013, 02:02:43 PM »

More Bruce please. Brian does not sing well and he gets applauded. Bruce can still sing pretty well.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: October 21, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »

Summer Means Fun was a great showcase for him this summer.

Also, many that haven't seen the band lately probably don't realize that Bruce is also taking leads on Wendy, Sloop John B, God Only Knows (when CW isn't played), and Do You Wanna Dance
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 21, 2013, 04:24:08 PM »

More Bruce please. Brian does not sing well and he gets applauded. Bruce can still sing pretty well.

Agreed on more Bruce! He only sings lead on a couple songs per night, and he does a good job. More would be better

baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: October 23, 2013, 09:47:51 AM »

I asked Bruce about singing any of his other songs and his response was:

Thanks so much but the "Please Let Me Wonder" original recording with Brian Wilson's lead vocal is the 'breath taking' performance.
I'm happy you like my songs but I really have a very limited amount of them that I've written over the past few the years.
On the other hand, I am working on a television project that might cause a new song to come to life.
Between being on tour year round, surfing (and sailing) here at home and now working with some of my sons in the energy sector, I find I need a 48 hour day!
Also, I have three grandchildren under 4 years old and I'm teaching them to sing "Barbara Ann."

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
October 23, 2013
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 23, 2013, 02:27:20 PM »

I have three grandchildren under 4 years old and I'm teaching them to sing "Barbara Ann."

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
October 23, 2013

Thud
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #674 on: October 23, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »

It's his way of preparing for the upcoming apocalypse and ensuring future generations can rebuild.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx