gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681438 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 06, 2024, 04:19:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary live double CD up for pre-order on Amazon  (Read 97728 times)
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2013, 08:39:12 AM »

Most of the trailer is anyway cobed together from stuff we've already seen. Live shots excepted… waste of space really.

Well of course it is. They're not going to be able to get much in the way of new interview footage to promote it, are they?
Mike "You seem very obsessed with last year's tour. Stop living in the past and let me tell you how good 1965 was..."
Bruce "We're the Beach Boys! Al who?"
Brian "We reunited? What's for dinner?"

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »

Most of the trailer is anyway cobed together from stuff we've already seen. Live shots excepted… waste of space really.

Well of course it is. They're not going to be able to get much in the way of new interview footage to promote it, are they?
Mike "You seem very obsessed with last year's tour. Stop living in the past and let me tell you how good 1965 was..."
Bruce "We're the Beach Boys! Al who?"
Brian "We reunited? What's for dinner?"

LOL

“We live in divisive times.”
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »

It sounds almost too perfect according to my ears. Lots of overdubbing, I guess. And I miss the live feel. But I will buy it nevertheless. It's great to have songs like California Saga in a live format.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »

The official trailer, just posted on Facebook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqvf7QFl7eI&feature=youtu.be

Sounds pretty terrible..

I'll buy it anyway as a memento

I have a hard time judging the sound on the PC speakers. Like you I will buy it to support the Boys and jus cuz!

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2013, 02:39:46 PM »

As of this morning my itunes account (NZ) has the new album up, track times etc but no samples yet. Can't be far away.

Edit
And the longest song by a mile on the album....."Disney Girls" at 5.33. I guess it includes Mike's putdown of IWTS.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 04:04:20 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2013, 04:19:02 PM »

As of this morning my itunes account (NZ) has the new album up, track times etc but no samples yet. Can't be far away.

Edit
And the longest song by a mile on the album....."Disney Girls" at 5.33. I guess it includes Mike's putdown of IWTS.

No, it won't be that -- the way they normally do song intros on live albums is to have them at the end of the previous song, to make radio play easier (if you're playing a track on the radio it's easy to fade out at the end, slightly harder to try to find the start of the song after the intro). The I Write The Songs bit always comes *before* Disney Girls.

The live version of Disney Girls at the Albert Hall is around five minutes long (my MP3 copy is 5:02 including applause but no on-stage talk either before or after). I suspect, since the song after it on the CD is Be True To Your School, that the other thirty seconds or so are Mike's "women in uniform" routine, sadly...

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2013, 04:36:57 PM »

Man....if they cut out Mike's banter we could have got another couple of songs in! LOL
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »

Too hard to tell a lot of audio quality.  Sounds like LOTS of Foskett at first listen.
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2013, 07:02:50 PM »

So... the live recordings sound too doctored up? I thought that clip sounded pretty slick but interviews kept cutting in and out. sh*t hard to tell much at all.

Gah. I would rather hear the raw concert warts and all.  Grin

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:14 PM »

Too hard to tell a lot of audio quality.  Sounds like LOTS of Foskett at first listen.

While I admit I'm a fan of Jeff, the only song I think he might be too loud in the mix is "Fun, Fun, Fun".  He doubled Al every night on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" but I hear mostly Al there in the video.  As for the other stuff, he is singing actual lead vocal parts and in those cases, regardless ho you feel about him, his voice SHOULD be loud in the mix.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2013, 07:35:29 AM »

There is definitely some pitch correction going on but as long as it doesn't sound as obnoxious as it did on Paul McCartney's live album Good Evening New York City, I can live with it.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:19 AM »

While I admit I'm a fan of Jeff, the only song I think he might be too loud in the mix is "Fun, Fun, Fun".  He doubled Al every night on "Wouldn't It Be Nice" but I hear mostly Al there in the video.  As for the other stuff, he is singing actual lead vocal parts and in those cases, regardless ho you feel about him, his voice SHOULD be loud in the mix.
Yea, Phoenix is correct. I am on Jeff alert as much as anyone, and in these clips I hear him singing his assigned a proper parts and nothing more.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »

There is definitely some pitch correction going on but as long as it doesn't sound as obnoxious as it did on Paul McCartney's live album Good Evening New York City, I can live with it.

That record might actually feature the most appalling application of Autotune in the history of live albums, though, so we're not exactly setting the bar high here.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2013, 02:49:38 PM »

That record might actually feature the most appalling application of Autotune in the history of live albums, though, so we're not exactly setting the bar high here.

I have it but am too lazy to give it a listen? Off topic, but what is the best example on that album? [If it'll make me feel better about this CD]

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2013, 03:26:44 PM »

I have it but am too lazy to give it a listen? Off topic, but what is the best example on that album? [If it'll make me feel better about this CD]

I can't check just now, because it's the only CD I've ever returned to vendor for being too horrible to listen to.  But if you Google "good evening new york city autotune" you can find all kinds of threads all over the internet complaining about it.  The Steve Hoffman forums seem to be homing in on the first "oh yeah" in "I've Got A Feeling" as a particularly egregious example.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2013, 03:36:36 PM »

Actually, here's "Paperback Writer"... sung by a square wave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dutZznT_2mg

The last verse is especially bad.  It's like a human never went anywhere near it.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »

That whole album mix was completely dreadful.  Muffled instruments and a very narrow stereo mix.  The pitch correction was the worst though. I don't mind studio touchups on live albums but this was ridiculous. I can't imagine the Beach Boys live album sounding any worse.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2013, 07:57:49 AM »

I just noticed how the 3 tracks I'm mostly looking forward to on the upcoming double live album are sequenced together. 3D

12. Marcella
13. Isn't It Time
14. Why Do Fools Fall In Love
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2013, 03:43:04 AM »

Gimme the first 15 on disc 2:

1. Pet Sounds
2. Add Some Music To Your Day
3. Heroes And Villains
4. Sail On, Sailor
5. California Saga: California
6. In My Room
7. All This Is That
8. That's Why God Made The Radio
9. Forever
10. God Only Knows
11. Sloop John B
12. Wouldn't It Be Nice
13. Good Vibrations
14. California Girls
15. Help Me, Rhonda

Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2013, 03:51:11 AM »

1. Pet Sounds

I'm picturing an autotuned guitar  3D

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Paulos
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2013, 05:21:45 AM »

Only a week to go, everyone got their pre-orders in? I hope this sounds better than the audio from the live DVD.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2013, 05:41:06 AM »

My copy will arrive either on Thursday or Friday (Free Record Shop, Holland).
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2013, 01:59:50 AM »

So.. does someone have it already? How does it sound?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2013, 03:18:16 AM »

Mine just shipped… but I'm away from home so won't hear it for another 10 days…  (Sainsbury's Entertainment, £8.99)

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2013, 03:22:13 AM »

It's down to @15,99 on German amazon but won't be shipped until the 24th. Undecided
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx