gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:16:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary live double CD up for pre-order on Amazon  (Read 96778 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: May 24, 2013, 06:32:31 PM »

Predictions for the Billboard Charts?

I know there is no QVC promotion. TWGMTR was heavily promoted. A few people have written in and said it was hard to find a copy in stores.  Huh

I still think this one could land in the Top 20 album charts. I hope it makes the top 10.

I hate to say it, but I would be shocked if this broke the Top 100.  That's not a knock on the album, I love it. I just don't think it's going to sell much.

Ummm Don't hold your breath , It's currently No4 on Amazon.com  Roll Eyes

Amazon sales do not translate to Billboard chart placings, at least not directly. They skew to an older demographic that still buys copies of physical CDs ...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 08:36:08 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: May 24, 2013, 07:53:54 PM »

Why would Capitol be surprised if this CD doesn't sell.

It has received literally zero promotion outside a few facebook posts.

And of course in classic Capitol fashion, we're hearing it's hard to find in stores.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:55:12 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #652 on: May 24, 2013, 08:14:39 PM »

So I finally got the damn thing in the mail.  I have listened to most of it.  Yes, it's over-produced.  But it's hardly the "disaster" people are making it out to be.  Get over it.  I'm finding it to be enjoyable for the most part.  The second disc seems a bit more manufactured than the first one.  Didn't realize that a couple songs like "Don't Worry Baby" and "You're So Good To Me" didn't make the cut.  Still, I'm not having a panic attack over the questionable touch-ups.  As glossy as this live album is, it's still sonically better than McCartney's Good Evening New York City

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: May 25, 2013, 05:13:24 AM »

So I finally got the damn thing in the mail.  I have listened to most of it.  Yes, it's over-produced.  But it's hardly the "disaster" people are making it out to be.  Get over it. 

People have different tastes, and different levels of tolerance for that kind of thing. Personally, I'm *just about* glad I've got the CD, as there are enough good moments on it to justify purchase for me, but I find a big chunk of it sounds horrible. There will be other people who find the whole thing unlistenable, and those people are not wrong to think so, and shouldn't "get over it", any more than you're wrong to like it.

My own view is that this is, other than its length, the worst of the official live releases, when it should have been the best given the performances they had to work with. It isn't a disaster, but it is a bit of a shame.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #654 on: May 25, 2013, 05:22:12 AM »

There will be other people who find the whole thing unlistenable, and those people are not wrong to think so, and shouldn't "get over it", any more than you're wrong to like it.

Exactly.   

Notice those who aren't impressed with the album don't have this desperation to get everyone round to their point of view as (some of) those who like it. That "get over it" remark is a hallmark of someone who doesn't have confidence in their own opinion.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: May 25, 2013, 05:26:50 AM »

BTW did we mention that there's another "livealbum" with double tracking? Party! So I don't think Joe Thomas should get all the badmouthing, Brian had a bigger role than we think

Party is one of my favorite BBs albums....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 25, 2013, 05:29:27 AM »

BTW did we mention that there's another "livealbum" with double tracking? Party! So I don't think Joe Thomas should get all the badmouthing, Brian had a bigger role than we think

Very few people expected there to be no changes made to the live recordings -- a *lot* of stuff was messed with on both Concert and Knebworth. It's the fact that the changes made have resulted in it sounding worse, rather than better, in many cases that people have a problem with.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 25, 2013, 06:28:25 AM »

There will be other people who find the whole thing unlistenable, and those people are not wrong to think so, and shouldn't "get over it", any more than you're wrong to like it.

Exactly.  

Notice those who aren't impressed with the album don't have this desperation to get everyone round to their point of view as (some of) those who like it. That "get over it" remark is a hallmark of someone who doesn't have confidence in their own opinion.
You have to admit that there were quite a few people in here saying how lousy it sounded, and basing that lousy sound on streaming. Even with it's issues it is not nearly as bad as we were led to believe. The people say this stuff like it is fact. It is so hard to trust any info in this place anymore. People just spout-off without doing any critical listening. I am sure Awesoman is frustrated just like me and many others in here.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:29:18 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: May 25, 2013, 06:43:04 AM »

You have to admit that there were quite a few people in here saying how lousy it sounded, and basing that lousy sound on streaming. Even with it's issues it is not nearly as bad as we were led to believe. The people say this stuff like it is fact. It is so hard to trust any info in this place anymore. People just spout-off without doing any critical listening. I am sure Awesoman is frustrated just like me and many others in here.

There *were* people saying that, yes, before they had access to the CD. The bits that they heard did -- and do -- sound that bad. There are plenty of people who *have* been doing critical listening -- and note that the people saying "get over it" tend also to be the people saying "just put it on in your car and go out for a drive", not "listen to it intently on high end equipment".

There are some people -- like Stephen -- who will find this kind of thing utterly unlistenable. There are others, like you, who don't. And then there are those in the middle, like myself, who find that the production detracts from their enjoyment badly, but not to the extent that it totally destroys the album for them. All those people are likely to state their opinions as facts, just because that's how people talk. None of them should be trying to force others round to their way of thinking, and none of them are wrong.

If you want real critical listening, incidentally, look at the "Analysis of the Live 50th Anniversary Tour CD" thread. If you ignore the juvenile antics of OldSurferDude and SmileBrian, there's some good analysis from AlFall there.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 25, 2013, 06:45:15 AM »

Regardless of the sound source, stuff like this is always subjective to a degree, especially when fandom is involved. For the record, every one of my substantive comments was based on a silver disc bought five days before the official release date. And I found every one of the streaming excerpts to accurately reflect the album's contents.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: May 25, 2013, 06:51:49 AM »

Why would Capitol be surprised if this CD doesn't sell.

It has received literally zero promotion outside a few facebook posts.

And of course in classic Capitol fashion, we're hearing it's hard to find in stores.

Most likely because some executive listened to it, correctly labelled it 'shite' and ordered a quiet release  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 06:57:07 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 25, 2013, 06:52:34 AM »

Regardless of the sound source, stuff like this is always subjective to a degree, especially when fandom is involved. For the record, every one of my substantive comments was based on a silver disc bought five days before the official release date. And I found every one of the streaming excerpts to accurately reflect the album's contents.

Same here. Though of course streaming samples were mine  Wink

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 25, 2013, 06:55:55 AM »

Folks talk like a stream can create huge, glaring sonic flaws and I don't really get it. Streaming media has improved drastically over time and, unless some total n00b put these up with no knowledge of how to do so and also did so with a damaged copy of the album, a huge flaw (or several huge flaws, in the case of this album) is likely to be present on all sources. In fact, said huge flaw(s) is likely to be even more glaring when you hear it in better quality.

This is just like the folks who said cell phones and digital cameras were "creating" live autotune on the shows. It doesn't work that way.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 25, 2013, 06:58:29 AM »

There *were* people saying that, yes, before they had access to the CD. The bits that they heard did -- and do -- sound that bad. There are plenty of people who *have* been doing critical listening -- and note that the people saying "get over it" tend also to be the people saying "just put it on in your car and go out for a drive", not "listen to it intently on high end equipment".

There are some people -- like Stephen -- who will find this kind of thing utterly unlistenable. There are others, like you, who don't. And then there are those in the middle, like myself, who find that the production detracts from their enjoyment badly, but not to the extent that it totally destroys the album for them. All those people are likely to state their opinions as facts, just because that's how people talk. None of them should be trying to force others round to their way of thinking, and none of them are wrong.

If you want real critical listening, incidentally, look at the "Analysis of the Live 50th Anniversary Tour CD" thread. If you ignore the juvenile antics of OldSurferDude and SmileBrian, there's some good analysis from AlFall there.
I am pretty much past the analysis stage after just 4 days of listening. It is what it is. It's not In Concert or even Live In London, but a typical Brian Wilson super clean live show with The Beach Boys along for the ride. Except for the shitty autotune job on a few of the vocals, it is pretty much how I expected a Brian produced live album to sound.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #664 on: May 25, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »

Spotify is replacing "all this is that" with the version from 1974 Nassau which is on my hard drive. Strange, every other song plays as it should. Carl came back for one song  Cheesy

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: May 25, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »

Exactly.   

Yeah?  Well tell that to Don Henley.   Smiley

Seriously folks, not criticizing anyone for liking or disliking the album.  I'm simply responding to the over-the-top "the sky is falling" panic over how the album sounds.  You know, the "it's a disaster!" or "it sounds so bad it won't sell!" paranoia.  The honest truth is that the joe-average fan is not really going to care one way or another how doctored up the Beach Robots sound and will get some enjoyment out of it nonetheless.  So let's not overreact, shall we?  I mean, we'll have plenty of time to be miserable once the box set finally shows up.   3D

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #666 on: May 25, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »

So let's not overreact, shall we?  I mean, we'll have plenty of time to be miserable once the box set finally shows up.   3D

Can of worms anyone?

But as I've said before, if it has even half the stuff mentioned, I'll be happy.  Smiley
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #667 on: May 25, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »

Speaking of "Fun, Fun, Fun" anyone else catch the "Rhapsody In Blue" quote at the end?

Yeah, that's a hangover from Brian's band I think, I remember them doing it at the RFH for the Gershwin tour, which of course makes total sense there - it's still cool on a wholly BB's show.

They've been doing that all along -- if you watch the Brian Wilson On Tour DVD Scott does it there -- it's something he's added all along.

Wow, very cool! I had no idea he's been doing it until now. Thanks!
hypehat: Yeah, for sure!

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #668 on: May 26, 2013, 02:49:59 PM »

I just posted this in the meadia section. I like this picture even better than the cover.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 27, 2013, 06:13:51 AM »

Are there bonus tracks for this from any retailers or countries?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #670 on: May 27, 2013, 07:48:02 AM »

Hey, Smile Brian, looks like the Hixster likes to spend his time evaluating and judging our posts along with some name calling. Who does that remind you of that isn't around these parts anymore? Did we say something off color about the Hixster?? Are we not permitted here to state our opinions without being put through his meat grinder? Time for a pow wow methinks.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 27, 2013, 08:42:34 AM »

Replying to other people's posts is one of the basic functions of a message board.
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #672 on: May 27, 2013, 09:35:08 AM »

Hey, Smile Brian, looks like the Hixster likes to spend his time evaluating and judging our posts along with some name calling. Who does that remind you of that isn't around these parts anymore?

The similarity ends with their first names.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 27, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »

Are there bonus tracks for this from any retailers or countries?

Japan releases often have bonus tracks apparently but a quick search on Tower Records Japan show the standard live album at this stage.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #674 on: May 27, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »

Hey, Smile Brian, looks like the Hixster likes to spend his time evaluating and judging our posts along with some name calling. Who does that remind you of that isn't around these parts anymore?

The similarity ends with their first names.
No, nuke-em, not quite-the agdster was quite prone to calling other posters whom he did not agree with selected names baseed on whether or not he was having or did have a "bad" day. Roll Eyes
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx