gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681571 Posts in 27644 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 15, 2024, 10:05:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love talks about C50 shows (March 26)  (Read 24423 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »

I, based on my personal, inside knowledge, ain't buying that Mike doesn't know Facebook from Twitter from a website.  After all, he has all three.

Are you the new AGD?  You've got all this "inside knowledge" that you're so generously sharing with us! 

So what if he has all three?  You said so yourself that he has an administrator in charge of his social media---it's common sense.  You don't actually think it's actually Mike himself typing these messages up and clicking "Post" on all these different sites, do you?  Mike, just like any other person his age, simply doesn't care to know the difference between Facebook, Twitter and a website.  Throughout the C50 tour, he stood on stage and told everyone to "call up" Amazon.com to buy their new album so that it would reach number one.  "Call up."  Does that sound like something a guy who's on top of the latest technology would say? 

But anyway...continue on with your personal vendetta against the guy.

I'll PM you Justin and tell you if you like? I'm not going to hang up some of Mike's dirty laundry on this board.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »

I apologize if I'm stating an opinion that has been voiced a bunch of times already. My issue at this point with Mike's stated reasoning for not doing more reunion shows is that it doesn't explain anything. We know the likely (thought not certain) reasons Mike didn't sign up for more reunion shows. But he won't actually state it. He simply is saying, in essence, that he didn't book more reunion shows and booked his own shows because he didn't book more reunion shows and booked his own shows.

Yes, there was an "agreed upon" length to the reunion tour. The question is why he didn't sign on for more. I would respect it at this point a lot more if he'd just say he doesn't want to play with the other guys right now, or that it doesn't generate enough money, or it's logistically too much of a pain the ass to continue, etc. Yes, he did explain in his piece last year that he wants to play smaller markets, but that, even if we take it on face value, doesn't explain the total abandonment for now of any reunion shows.

The continued explanation that the reunion tour was some sort of vacuum in time and space where they were only allowed one extension of the original agreement is just bizarre. Just as they chose in 2011 (or earlier?) to put the reunion together in 2012, they could do the same now. If he doesn't want to do that, it would be nice to hear truly why that is. This weird reflexive statement that "the tour ended because it ended" is silly.

He did say previously that he didn't want to 'oversaturate' the market for reunited band shows and that it would be more special if there was a break. We all know there's more to it, but that's good enough for the public.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »

I, based on my personal, inside knowledge, ain't buying that Mike doesn't know Facebook from Twitter from a website.  After all, he has all three.

Are you the new AGD?  You've got all this "inside knowledge" that you're so generously sharing with us! 

So what if he has all three?  You said so yourself that he has an administrator in charge of his social media---it's common sense.  You don't actually think it's actually Mike himself typing these messages up and clicking "Post" on all these different sites, do you?  Mike, just like any other person his age, simply doesn't care to know the difference between Facebook, Twitter and a website.  Throughout the C50 tour, he stood on stage and told everyone to "call up" Amazon.com to buy their new album so that it would reach number one.  "Call up."  Does that sound like something a guy who's on top of the latest technology would say? 

I'll PM you Justin and tell you if you like? I'm not going to hang up some of Mike's dirty laundry on this board.

They all have dirty laundry.. Get over it

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2013, 05:39:58 PM »

As always, you speak of what you have no knowledge of.  You threw F bombs for AGD getting banned for his opinions when it had nothing to do with "opinions".

I'd suggest, since you find my posts so upsetting, to:

1. Not read them
2. Avert your eyes when you first read the word O r e g o n
3. Read things that sooth your soul, like the MikeLoveFanClub.com or Mike's Facebook page, Twitter feed or Mike's two web sites.
4.Not read any threads that my have negative views of Mike Love.  They seem to upset you so!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »

I agree, I don't like it how fans are called "brianistas" for saying that Brian was the force behind the group. The other members helped out a huge deal, but the BBs in their prime as a functioning band were a vehicle for BW's ideas.

Yeah although there are extreme cases in every fanbase, I think in general when it comes to this band fans of the collective unit and the individual members are one in the same.  What hurts Mike Love and the rest of the boys is most of them eschewed any type of solo career.  Well to rephrase, all of them tried but none of them succeeded in such wide terms of success where they have separated themselves from the rest of the band.  Brian and Dennis made strides, the rest well not to sound mean spirited but all you can give them realistically is a "A for effort".

However, I've never been one to champion those who make statements such as "Without Brian Wilson, Mike Love would still be pumping gas at the oil & tin".  This is a falsehood of the highest order.  While Mike Love likely would've never found success without his cousin, his cousin would've also never found the type of success he had without his brothers and especially his cousin.  Brian Wilson without The Beach Boys as his vehicle MAY HAVE risen to the point where we might be talking about him as a strong composer from the era of sixties music but he would've never been a rock star without his mates.  He just never had the outgoing personality needed during that phase in the evolution of music to have been much of a success without a frontman the likes of Cousin Mike.  The two cousins needed each other in the sixties to find their respective (collective?) pots of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Umm 'Pamela Jean' by 'The Survivors' done really well without The Beach Boys name , did it not Huh??
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2013, 05:42:45 PM »

It's hard to muster the energy to reply to this thread because we've discussed it ad nauseam

I'm sure Mike has the best intentions but he's cursed with innate ability to say the wrong thing at the wrong time. Just listen to his between song banter today and in the 60's, truly awful.

Mike seems to have the majority of this board on his side in relation to how the C50 tour ended (I'll never understand why!) but he's not changing the masses. It's not just us who are aware of his antics, he's generally hated all over the web, you can't view one Beach Boys youtube video without seeing many, many anti-Mike comments. He had a good chance to end the C50 tour with the same means he lives his life, ya know with "peace" and "harmony" but no, the booking of M&B dates during the C50 was one of the craziest and selfish moves I've ever witnessed, anybody with a brain would do the reunion tour and end it organically with input from everybody. I think it was two or three weeks into the C50 tour when we first noticed the M&B dates popping up.

It's good to hear he's open to more stuff in the future but I don't see a point, the guys can't co-exist anymore, too much mud has been thrown.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2013, 05:46:20 PM »

I agree, I don't like it how fans are called "brianistas" for saying that Brian was the force behind the group. The other members helped out a huge deal, but the BBs in their prime as a functioning band were a vehicle for BW's ideas.

Yeah although there are extreme cases in every fanbase, I think in general when it comes to this band fans of the collective unit and the individual members are one in the same.  What hurts Mike Love and the rest of the boys is most of them eschewed any type of solo career.  Well to rephrase, all of them tried but none of them succeeded in such wide terms of success where they have separated themselves from the rest of the band.  Brian and Dennis made strides, the rest well not to sound mean spirited but all you can give them realistically is a "A for effort".

However, I've never been one to champion those who make statements such as "Without Brian Wilson, Mike Love would still be pumping gas at the oil & tin".  This is a falsehood of the highest order.  While Mike Love likely would've never found success without his cousin, his cousin would've also never found the type of success he had without his brothers and especially his cousin.  Brian Wilson without The Beach Boys as his vehicle MAY HAVE risen to the point where we might be talking about him as a strong composer from the era of sixties music but he would've never been a rock star without his mates.  He just never had the outgoing personality needed during that phase in the evolution of music to have been much of a success without a frontman the likes of Cousin Mike.  The two cousins needed each other in the sixties to find their respective (collective?) pots of gold at the end of the rainbow.
OK, it's a theory that you're sharing, but don't agree in the least. Without mYke Luhv, we would most likely have heard even more from Brian for a more expanded amount of time. mYke Luhv helped to whittle away Brian's fragile confidence level by wanting more sun, surf and beach themes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2013, 05:48:35 PM »

Umm 'Pamela Jean' by 'The Survivors' done really well without The Beach Boys name , did it not Huh??

But "Surf City" did.  When I look at those early Beach Boys TV appearances, I imagine the band singing with no Al, or no Mike, and I think the songs would have been big hits anyway.  But gotta give Mike his due, he was a major part of the band. Lyrics, voice, his place in the harmony.  I don't see him as much as a great showman/frontman early in their career.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »

'Surf City' was released by Jan and Dean, though, who were already kind of established, And without Mike, who was going to write the lyrics for the early BB songs? And more importantly, who would fill his spot in the vocal blend? Those stack harmonies were so crucial to the band's success...everybody was needed. Best harmonic blend of all time. It's why the C50 was so great (even minus Carl) but Brian's shows although good, are missing that low end. It added something magical. Take anyone away from the harmonic stack in the 'classic' period, and the sound would have suffered...and it is extremely likely they wouldn't have had the same success.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2013, 06:01:01 PM »

As always, you speak of what you have no knowledge of.  You threw F bombs for AGD getting banned for his opinions when it had nothing to do with "opinions".

I'd suggest, since you find my posts so upsetting, to:

1. Not read them
2. Avert your eyes when you first read the word O r e g o n
3. Read things that sooth your soul, like the MikeLoveFanClub.com or Mike's Facebook page, Twitter feed or Mike's two web sites.
4.Not read any threads that my have negative views of Mike Love.  They seem to upset you so!

Your a little odd aren't you. Thanks for your aggresive PM by the way!
1. Passive aggresive crap, this is a message board where people post comments why would I come here and not read them!
2. I would prefer AGD's input over yours!
 3.I respect Mike and his input, but as a person he "appears" to make a few errors of judgement (they all have!!)
4. It has nothing to do with Mike it has more to do with your passive aggresive nature, condescending tone and ridiculous PM you sent. You upset me and others.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »

'Surf City' was released by Jan and Dean, though, who were already kind of established, And without Mike, who was going to write the lyrics for the early BB songs? And more importantly, who would fill his spot in the vocal blend? Those stack harmonies were so crucial to the band's success...everybody was needed. Best harmonic blend of all time. It's why the C50 was so great (even minus Carl) but Brian's shows although good, are missing that low end. It added something magical. Take anyone away from the harmonic stack in the 'classic' period, and the sound would have suffered...and it is extremely likely they wouldn't have had the same success.
It would have been different, that's for sure.  But I think Brian would have been quite successful in the music biz and Mike not.  But they were a super group because of what they all brought to the table.

oldsurferdude
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »

“But I’m not opposed to any future involvement. It’s just that those agreed-upon dates came and went and now we’re off to do what we do with our group. Al has his group and Brian has his group.”

See if his credibility with the majority of Beach Boys fans wasn't so low that we can't give him the benefit of the doubt there wouldn't be as much anxiety as there is now in Beach Boys land.  The crux of this whole issue is most see the ending of the C50 tour as another one of Mike Love's never ending games.  As I mentioned a few days ago, the man doesn't get even a shred of the benefit of the doubt among Beach Boys fans and I guess if he really is that oblivious to the drama he creates around himself, I could see how he could be confused.  However continuing to antagonize Beach Boys fans by telling them that they should "get a life" is probably not the best way to get people to stop looking for reasons to bash him.

Look I don't know what the deal is with this guy.  I don't pretend to know either.  It just seems like the name Mike Love has become synonymous with a great amount of antipathy and words like "killjoy".  This may be a bit unfair, I don't know.  I think a lot of Beach Boys fans do need to let go of long held grudges against Mike Love but it would also be fair to point out that some of his actions and comments haven't exactly aided the cause of healing over old wounds.  Maybe the man is in dire need of a publicist?  Someone who could screen over some of the stuff he says before it hits print because intentional or not he sure has a way of detonating land mines whenever he makes a public statement.
No, he just needs a good "frontman". Razz
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2013, 06:20:26 PM »

It would have been different, that's for sure.  But I think Brian would have been quite successful in the music biz and Mike not.  But they were a super group because of what they all brought to the table.

Gosh, I hate upsetting you.  You failed to heed my advice and now you are upset again.

My advice. follow these tips for a more tranquil Smiley Smile Experience. You take this stuff way too personally.

1. Not read OregonRiverRider's Mike Love posts
2. Avert your eyes when you first see the word O r e g o n
4. Not read any threads that may contain negative views of Mike Love.  They obviously upset you.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2013, 06:28:01 PM »

Didn't Jan write the lyrics for "Surf City".  Jan might have been a great front man for the Beach Boys.  Course it's all speculation as Mike filled the role superbly, no denying that!

18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »

If people have an already stated opinion of Mike why must they continue to state said opinion in a variety of threads and or topics. I am not fond of some of Mike's actions but, I do not feel it is necessary to ram my opinion of Mike down someone elses throat.

Some Guy, 2012
Me ,2015.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2013, 06:32:45 PM »

So what you're saying is absolutely no one could have sung bass notes in the 60's and 70's. That's a rather limited, indeed narrow approach. No one is indispensable-not even Saint mYkuhl. As far as stacking harmonies, Brian has, thank you very much, done quite well with out the mYkster.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2013, 06:40:53 PM »

If people have an already stated opinion of Mike why must they continue to state said opinion in a variety of threads and or topics. I am not fond of some of Mike's actions but, I do not feel it is necessary to ram my opinion of Mike down someone elses throat.

Cool, I most strongly support your right to state your opinion!  And I feel strongly about my right to state mine.  I don't appreciate being "judged" for stating my opinion.
This thread is about Mike's latest interview.  I have expressed my opinions on his statements and will continue to do so in this thread.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2013, 06:42:35 PM »

So what you're saying is absolutely no one could have sung bass notes in the 60's and 70's. That's a rather limited, indeed narrow approach. No one is indispensable-not even Saint mYkuhl. As far as stacking harmonies, Brian has, thank you very much, done quite well with out the mYkster.
True/ "Pet Sounds" was considered as a solo album at one point, if I recall correctly.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »

No, just that it wouldn't have sounded the same. The group was just magic together.Everybody was crucial to that blend. Talking about the 60s blend, of course.

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »

Didn't Jan write the lyrics for "Surf City".  Jan might have been a great front man for the Beach Boys.  Course it's all speculation as Mike filled the role superbly, no denying that!

Everything Mike did Jan did much better, IMO. Plus Jan had looks and sex appeal while Mike was a balding dork. Jan was on Brian's level musically as well.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2013, 06:51:31 PM »

He's done quite well how? When? It's never been Brian Wilson Of The Beach Boys doing Beach Boys songs, I'm sure.... Right?

Like it or not: Mike is an exact 50% of The Beach Boys formula for success.... The Beach Boys sound was established as Mike's nasal, punkish and unique leads and Brian's emotional falsetto and leads. All the rest was/is gravy..... They never really deviated from this formula aside from others stepping in for Brian.... Maybe with Smile, but the harmony stack was still there and essential.... Top it off with Mike being the front-man and writing oceans of the band's lyrics: you can slam the guy all you want as a person, but to sit here and imagine a universe where Brian achieved everything all by himself with no one's help of any consequence is pure fantasy.

Jan And Dean were not the Beach Boys, BTW..... Not even close. Looks don't really account for a damn thing in rock n roll anyway..... Dave Evans was better looking than Bon Scott too, blah blah
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 06:54:33 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2013, 06:57:12 PM »

They all needed each other. The way Brian arranged their voices was incredible. The familial blend plus Al and later Bruce? Nobody can top those five/ six voices in the studio.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »

Haven't you already? You are assassinating his character without putting up any evidence. Just say what it is you are claiming.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
oldsurferdude
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »

He's done quite well how? When? It's never been Brian Wilson Of The Beach Boys doing Beach Boys songs, I'm sure.... Right?

Like it or not: Mike is an exact 50% of The Beach Boys formula for success.... The Beach Boys sound was established as Mike's nasal, punkish and unique leads and Brian's emotional falsetto and leads. All the rest was/is gravy..... They never really deviated from this formula aside from others stepping in for Brian.... Maybe with Smile, but the harmony stack was still there and essential.... Top it off with Mike being the front-man and writing oceans of the band's lyrics: you can slam the guy all you want as a person, but to sit here and imagine a universe where Brian achieved everything all by himself with no one's help of any consequence is pure fantasy.

Jan And Dean were not the Beach Boys, BTW..... Not even close. Looks don't really account for a damn thing in rock n roll anyway..... Dave Evans was better looking than Bon Scott too, blah blah
Oh,just a couple of things, you know, like BW88, Imagination, BWPS, OCA, LOS, BWRG, That's all. And didn't miss the throat twiddelings of Monsignor Luhv in any one of those outings, lyKe it ohr Knot. Didn't you mean nazal pukish bleatings?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 07:08:13 PM by oldsurferdude » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2013, 07:08:16 PM »

OK, then go listen to those albums and join the bloo board or or something..... Why hang around on a BEACH BOYS message board if you're such a fan of Brian Wilson-the-solo-artist an all he's achieved that has nothing to do with the Beach Boys?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx