gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:00:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Mike Examiner interview  (Read 72557 times)
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »

http://www.examiner.com/article/mike-love-says-que-sera-sera-to-beach-boys-future
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:05:55 AM »

Based on this: no more shows for now; no mention of an new album or a follow-up of Radio leftovers--no mention of anything. . . .nothing but cliche. Was that all the questions from David?  One would think he would have asked pointedly about the album.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »

Stubborn friggin' jerk.  I get that he's comfortable with his touring band.  I get that working with the other guys is unpredictable, possibly erratic.  I get that Brian carries some serious baggage.  But the subtle jabs and passive progressiveness won't let up. 

Screw tours!  I could care less if the group ever reunites for another tour.  I'd like an album.  At least an EP.  The magic is there and it pains me to see them piss it away over pride.  I loved TWGMTR, warts, autotune, and all.  So much more can be done musically by this group and all anybody cares about is tours.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »

Wow, Mike sure makes it sound like Brian rarely contributed anything to the band from '64 to 2013.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 11:33:37 AM »

Time to take the name from ML if he doesn't want to reunite. Mike will be remembered as the guy that ended the BBs. Bruce is just a lackey and stooge at this point.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:38:13 AM »

Stubborn friggin' jerk.  I get that he's comfortable with his touring band.  I get that working with the other guys is unpredictable, possibly erratic.  I get that Brian carries some serious baggage.  But the subtle jabs and passive progressiveness won't let up. 

Screw tours!  I could care less if the group ever reunites for another tour.  I'd like an album.  At least an EP.  The magic is there and it pains me to see them piss it away over pride.  I loved TWGMTR, warts, autotune, and all.  So much more can be done musically by this group and all anybody cares about is tours.

Yes, Brian said a new BB album in 2013; MIC is supposed to be coming out; a capital live album was mentioned somewhere along the line; more DVD's of full(er) shows. Mike said nothing except that nothing is in the works?  Which and what "nothing" did he mean?

This is exasperating. David B, if you are listening, can you clarify about the album? There is no way Capital is going to sit on a score of "in the can" BB tracks without putting them out. . .
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »

He really is living on his own planet

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 11:52:04 AM »

He really is living on his own planet

Yes, and what angers me is Mike's squandering of the spiritual energy and good faith he lured us into with all his talk, in interview and lyric, about perpetual love being more powerful than the past tension, etc.  I just put on "Radio" while I work today; now the music is all that's left. . . .
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 11:53:11 AM »

Mike said nothing except that nothing is in the works?  Which and what "nothing" did he mean?

From that comment I'm assuming English isn't your first language, as the context makes it unequivocally clear he's talking about live shows:

"As far as any future engagements there’s nothing in the works."

"Engagements". Shows, concerts, gigs, performances.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:55:52 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 12:02:32 PM »

Time to take the name from ML if he doesn't want to reunite. Mike will be remembered as the guy that ended the BBs. Bruce is just a lackey and stooge at this point.

"We learned a lot from the Joe Besser fiasco. Spiritually. Also we can hit him... legally. It's in the contract."
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:12:51 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »

What's to be anngry about?  It was what, maybe 5 minutes of talking to Mike? Nothing much was said.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:33:10 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 12:08:54 PM »

Mike said nothing except that nothing is in the works?  Which and what "nothing" did he mean?

From that comment I'm assuming English isn't your first language, as the context makes it unequivocally clear he's talking about live shows:

"As far as any future engagements there’s nothing in the works."

"Engagements". Shows, concerts, gigs, performances.

Andrew, you are out of line , sir. An otiose attack on the Professor. Let's help one another, without snark, shall we? I took engagements as a more general term for "the band planning to get together to do anything," but I will accept graciously your corrective, rendering the term in the "show-business" sense to mean "gigs."  This adds room for "other" ways the BB may engage with one another on studio work. Thank you, squire.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 12:19:04 PM »

I just have to ask: what is the dream scenario we all want to see the Beach Boys saga play itself out under? .... Just how awful is it that we have The Bruce Boys playing local dumps and Brian, Al, Dave out there soaking up all the acclaim? Is it really that bad? Mike simply owns being the Beach Boys frontman and that's what he does. Brian, Al, Dave can have all the rest. Other than Dave on guitar, neither of them are really showmen, so it's a different thing. Let it be..... Would we rather the C50 band press on until one or more of them drop dead or would we just wait until Brian had enough and then he could quit again. Would he be reviled for that decision? Probably not.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:20:21 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 12:28:05 PM »

Mike simply owns being the Beach Boys frontman and that's what he does.

Well, at this point he's primarily a frontman for people who are mostly not considered to be Beach Boys. Right now, he's one of two people that can legitimately present themselves as Beach Boys so it's hard to call him a "Beach Boys frontman" at this point. He's just a good frontman and legally, he essentially is The Beach Boys.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 12:28:15 PM »

I feel impelled to point out that the only "acclaim" that Brian, Alan & David are currently "soaking up" is emanating from forums such as this (and of course The Bloo), more specifically from the Love-hating Brianista (current pejorative usage) contingent. No-one in the mainstream media has said anything one way or the other. For all we know, when push comes to shove they may suck royally.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »

Not true at all, many music websites and magazines have been up in arms about Mike "firing" the group. So the public is against M&B.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »

I feel impelled to point out that the only "acclaim" that Brian, Alan & David are currently "soaking up" is emanating from forums such as this (and of course The Bloo), more specifically from the Love-hating Brianista (current pejorative usage) contingent. No-one in the mainstream media has said anything one way or the other. For all we know, when push comes to shove they may suck royally.

Possible, but improbable, especially, with the Brian Wilson Band in tow. But I hear ya.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 12:34:09 PM »

You're right, as of the moment. But I'll bet after the Greek Theater show, there will be a lot of positive buzz around town and perhaps some Myke bashing in the glowing LA Times review, and then it will proceed from there.

And yeah, with Brian's band and Dave on guitar: sucking is really not an option, as long as they stay away from lots of songs that need Mike on lead.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:36:01 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 12:36:17 PM »

Indeed. We live in interesting times.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 12:38:15 PM »

It is indeed interesting that legitimate news organizations wouldn't stoop to using infantile expressions like "Brianista" against anyone who happens to find themselves agreeing with the common consensus when it comes to Brian Wilson and Mike Love.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:44:12 PM by rockandroll » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 12:51:59 PM »

The gentleman from Utah, checking in with his unbiased opinion.   Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »

It is indeed interesting that legitimate news organizations wouldn't stoop to using infantile expressions like "Brianista" against anyone who happens to find themselves agreeing with the common consensus when it comes to Brian Wilson and Mike Love.
It's as good a term as any when it comes to thinking that whatever happens, Brian does no wrong. Also, what's infantile about it? I've never heard one baby ever mutter the syllables. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »

I'd say the odds that they "suck royally" are very very very low. We will have Brian's band (with Brian), with the bonus of Al's voice and David's guitar and voice...should be an okay show.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 01:00:26 PM »

It's as good a term as any when it comes to thinking that whatever happens, Brian does no wrong. Also, what's infantile about it? I've never heard one baby ever mutter the syllables. Wink

I think the idea of people who believe that "Brian does not wrong" is often an invention by people who are grasping desperately to try to justify their own arguments and since they typically have no real argument, they resort to namecalling. Now that isn't to say that there aren't people who believe that "Brian does no wrong" but I rarely see them here. Rather, what I see here is people throwing around the term "Brianista" as a knee-jerk reaction because they really can't defend their own position. And it's applied to all sorts of positions - people who favour Smile and Pet Sounds over the early works, people who would prefer to see a Brian show over a Mike and Bruce show, people who like the way Brian looks in a picture even if though it was at a low point in his life. I don't particularly have much time for the belief that a person can do no wrong, but either way, the term is simply name-calling and as a result, it's puerile and always unnecessary.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 01:02:11 PM by rockandroll » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 01:00:50 PM »

For all we know, when push comes to shove they may suck royally.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx