gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 08:08:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Missing Lines Of 'Love And Mercy'?  (Read 2212 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2013, 02:36:38 AM »

Yesterday, for some reason I recalled some observation in an old music mag (I think - like MOJO, or Q Magazine, or VOX) that mentioned Brian singing a couple of lines in the song 'Love And Mercy', that did not make it to the recorded version; they went something like this:

I Was Praying To A God Who Didn't Seem To Hear
That The Things We Need The Most Are What We All Fear

I loved them immediately. Now, there are a few holes here in my memory, because it was perhaps already 20+ years ago; but I am absolutely certain that I read this somewhere.

Anyone know more about this?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:08:25 AM »

Yep you are pretty spot on. Here's some more info:

I cant remember the lyrics but there is an extra verse on Love And Mercy that wasn't on the record but he performed on a television appearance. AGD would remember the lines

"I was prayin' to a God who just doesn't seen to hear
Oh the blessings that we want most are what we all fear"

Sire reportedly insisted  this was cut before releasing it.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 04:11:07 AM »

Can't find the clip anymore but part of the performance (including the aforementioned lyrics) used to be on YouTube.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 04:22:30 AM »

Can't find the clip anymore but part of the performance (including the aforementioned lyrics) used to be on YouTube.

Thanks so much, Mikey! Glad that this recollection of mine got confirmed. And I hope to see that YouTube clip eventually... I guess that depends on the reason why it was taken off, and at whose request.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 04:34:02 AM »

I guess that depends on the reason why it was taken off, and at whose request.

Yeah not sure. Here is one thread which contained the clip which has since been terminated. The video from memory wasn't all that amazing. In fact I think the performance had been partially taped over with a clip of the Kinks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:35:30 AM by mikeyj » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:52:35 AM »

I guess that depends on the reason why it was taken off, and at whose request.

Yeah not sure. Here is one thread which contained the clip which has since been terminated. The video from memory wasn't all that amazing. In fact I think the performance had been partially taped over with a clip of the Kinks.

And thanks for the link too.

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 07:52:53 AM »

yeah, I recall Brian added those lyrics to the live performance of L&M during the years immediately after the 88 album release, including when I saw him at the BB/Chicago show in Costa Mesa in 1989 which ended up being recorded and broadcast on the Endless Summer TV show

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 09:23:22 AM »

For many years I've liked those lyrics and thought Brian should have included them in the song. I have a recording somewhere of Brian at The Malibu Emergency Room, for kids I think, where he did a version of Love & Mercy that included those lyrics.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »

I read somewhere -- I think on the PSML, maybe 15 years ago -- that those lines were written by Landy and Brian never liked them.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 03:43:41 PM »

I hate them, they seem really awkward. Wouldn't be surprised if they were Landys. I bet that guys shopping lists were overwrought and filled with clunky metaphors

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Alex11
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 06:42:36 AM »

Hello,
longtime lurker here :-)

When I saw him in germany in concert in 2004 (I think) he did some "new" lyrics, first he sang something about there being a lot of poor people in the world, and then he went on: "well it's just not fair......FOR THE POOR".

This was so typical Brian, this last three words were delivered with such a timing, with a little break after "it's just not fair", it still cracks me up thinkin' about it.

Greetings from germany
Alex

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx