gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:25:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Luther.  (Read 5630 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2013, 07:22:36 PM »

OK, do you write sth. right now?
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that.

And may I ask, how many guitars do you have? What is your favorite model sound-wise? Do you more comfortable playing acoustic, electric or bass guitar?
In my younger days I was something of a collector, but now I'm utilitarian. I have one electric guitar (Fender Strat), one acoustic guitar (Martin), and one electric bass (Fender Jazz bass). (I also have a banjo and a ukelele.) As for sound with electrics, I can appreciate differences across a lot of models that I've had and played (and sold, as I worked in music stores through college), but it's not such a big deal to me. Perfect world, I'd have my options for each song. But it doesn't matter. For acoustics, I have a soft spots for Martins, hence the one I have.

In terms of comfort playing them, I guess that varies based on what music I'm playing.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 10:51:03 AM »

I was/am interested to know what you've been working on for lately. Maybe you already wrote a few demos, sth. like that.

As for guitar questions - thanks for that detailed info (as usual). And how about keyboards? I remembered you said about piano being your main instrument, so I'm wondering what models you purchase. I ask it also because I have a synthesizer myself, play it quite well, so it'd be very useful to know what model is the best. Many say Roland has the best goods of all the companies. Do you agree with it or you think another way?

I do have a few little things in the works, but nothing in any position to be posted. I'll work them up sooner or later (and probably sooner than later).

My piano was just a cheap used one, an Acrosonic or something. A console piano. I have an old Alesis QS8.1 that I don't use anymore, but that's it. I don't really focus on gear much, so I am not your man for those kinds of questions. I know a lot of people here care and know about it far more than I do.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 12:16:58 PM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:36:06 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »

Good evening, Luther! I wanted to ask this very simple query that unbelievably wasn't asked before - What do you pay attention to at 1st when you're listening to the song - music or words? What is more important for you? From what I've read on here & other forums, my understanding is most of the people very much care for the lyrics, & more so, if the song has dire lyrics but nevertheless pleasant melody, they still toss it out. With due respect to the listeners but I'll never get it. Isn't music the key element of the song, rather than the text? For example, it's easier to change the words & combine them with an already existing beautiful tune if someone dislikes the message of the song. But other way around, it takes a lot of time of rearranging, composing better music etc. I mean, it's quicker to write the lyrics than the melody. And additionally, if people so much dislike the words of a certain song, why not just filter them out? Isn't it more fascinating to analyze the song structure, which instruments are audible, who sings on what line etc. than its meaning? I think it's no big deal.

So what will you say about it? Just interesting to know one of the most knowledgeable & interesting posters' point of view. Maybe after your summary/explanation I shall finally see what it is about lyricsmania. Thanks in advance.

It is a simple question but not a simple answer. Or probably not a satisfying answer, anyway.

I don't have a single way to approach a song. With songs I like:

1. Sometimes I immediately like the lyrics, and so that's my starting point to listening to a song. In such cases, I may cut the music some slack, even forgive what I'd otherwise mock or dislike just because of the love of the lyrics.

2. Sometimes the exact opposite is true: I like the music and cut the lyrics slack because of it.

3. Sometimes I like both, either independently or because they seem to complement one another.

However, the difficult part is that the above isn't always true, even of music it seems I ought to like. I might hear something that fits one of the first two criteria but focus on the part I don't like rather than the part I do, and judge it unfairly because of that. My excuse for not liking the whole might be that I dislike one of its parts, despite other examples when that same situation isn't an impediment to my enjoyment.

Increasingly I try to accept music on its own terms, which seems to give me more leeway for enjoyment (rather than judging overly harshly from some ridiculously individualized subjectivity/elitism). In the end, I'd rather enjoy than not enjoy, and so whatever aspect can be a door to enjoyment or appreciation seems to be a good one.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:35:16 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2013, 03:28:30 PM »

Now I have another stereotypical question: Do you tolerate the 'horridness' of autotune, as some people phrase it? Or you don't mind it at all even when it comes to the vintage times musicians, including The Beach Boys? For instance, I read many complaints on this board regarding the use of the said device, especially on TWGMTR. And how about you, Luther? Did you find it right thing or not on that record? I am myself only for the music & usually don't care about various sound effects, pitch correction etc. I disagree respectfully with those who think autotune is specifically for modern artists. But anyway, if you are of the same opinion, I'll understand it.

No effect or technique inherently bothers me, including pitch correction. I've argued before and continue to believe that other than perhaps in its scope or effectiveness, it's not all that different than multitrack recording, speeding or slowing tape, adding reverb, splicing, punching in, etc. Yes, it makes a sound that isn't being made by the artist, and yes, it can be used to speed the process to getting a palatable result. But through history, people used the above for the same results. So I don't think of it as "cheating," the way some people do.

The other aspect is the sound of heavily used autotune, as is very popular these days, as an effect. And my answer is pretty much the same: no problem for me.

That said, I don't necessarily always like it. And maybe if I were the artist, I wouldn't have chosen to use it. But I can point to parts of almost every song by almost every band I like and do the same thing over some other aspect of the original recording. That's part of being a listener. There are examples on TWGMTR where I don't mind it and others where I do, but in the end, I enjoy the album.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2013, 04:07:57 PM »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 02:34:26 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx