gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:11:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #20: 15 Big Ones  (Read 42459 times)
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »

Quite a weak album!

1. It's OK
2. In The Still Of The Night
3. Palisades Park
4. Susie Cincinnati
5. That Same Song
6. Back Home
7. Rock and Roll Music (prefer the single version)
8. Chapel of Love
9. Had To Phone Ya
10. Everyone's In Love With You
11. A Casual Look
12. Talk To Me
13. Just Once In My Life
14. TM Song
15. Blueberry Hill
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 11:58:39 AM »

1. Just Once in My Life
2. It's O.K.
3. Had to Phone Ya
4. Palisades Park
5. Back Home
6. Susie Cincinnati
7. In the Still of the Night

8. Talk to Me
9. That Same Song
10. Everyone's in Love With You
11. Blueberry Hill
12. Chapel of Love
13. T.M. Song
14. A Casual Look
15. Rock and Roll Music

It's not nearly as bad as it's sometimes made out to be, but it's tragic how the Beach Boys' golden opportunity was spent on something middling.  Case in point would be their biggest hit of the 70's, the hideous Rock and Roll Music cover.  The single version is a little better, but it doesn't take much to beat the lifeless one found here.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 04:30:45 PM by TimeToGetAlone » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »

Somehow I really like "Rock and Roll Music". It's nothing particularly special but still... - That said, "It's OK" should've been the lead-off single I think. (Or, better still, "It's OK" should've been released as a single as early as '74 or '75. Somehow I think this could've been really huge!)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2013, 02:20:48 PM »

Fantastic
It's OK
Had to Phone Ya

Solid covers
Just Once in My Life
In the Still of the Night

Decent songs
Back Home
Talk to Me
That Same Song

Scraping the barrel
Chapel of Love
Palisades Park
Blueberry Hil
Rock and Roll Music (single version is better but still pretty aweful due to Mike's terrible singing.)

Insult to humanity
A Casual Look
TM Song
Everyone's in Love with You
Susie Cincinnati
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:22:17 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2013, 03:09:14 PM »

Nailed it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 03:48:57 PM »

just have to say have never understood the Rock and Roll Music hate. I really like this song and Mike's vocal.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »

LAST LAST LAST LAST PLACE: Everyone's In Love with You     What a weeper. Its the Maharishi alone in his parents basement on prom night. Mike's still in the glow of early recovery. He is in a born again state, and  obviously going through an Eric Carmen phase. It's like a like a less than stellar non-erotic Raspberries ballad from an alternate universe.  As much as I love Mike(and the Raspberries, no insult to them) and have no beef with TM,  Mike is the brainwashed cult member and the Maharishi is his basement dwelling Eunuch Guru, who just can't get a date(and it's a damn shame). In the live show, Mike's 5 minute long spoken introduction for this song was excruciating to watch. This is much more creepy than Hey Little Tomboy. Also not as catchy. I guess if Brian wrote it, we'd all like it. Brian wouldn't write sh*t like dis. I'll listen again. I'll give it another try. I'll feel bad after posting this.

Stunning play, my man *doffs cap*

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »

I really like "Chapel of Love" since it sounds like Brian is just excitedly speak-singing the lyrics and is almost too-desperately trying to believe what he's singing. It's definitely weird though, yeah.

Also, "Palisades Parks" cooks! It sounds demented in the best possible way! And what the f*** is Carl slurring excitedly and loudly in the middle of that one?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:14:21 PM by Dr. Voldelabra » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 04:50:50 PM »

Its Ok
Had To Phone Ya
Susie Cincinnati
That Same Song
Chapel Of Love
Palisades Park
Rock And Roll Music
Just Once In My Life
In the Still Of The Night
Back Home
Talk To Me
A Casual Look
TM Song
Blueberry Hill

LAST LAST LAST LAST PLACE: Everyone's In Love with You     What a weeper. Its the Maharishi alone in his parents basement on prom night. Mike's still in the glow of early recovery. He is in a born again state, and  obviously going through an Eric Carmen phase. It's like a like a less than stellar non-erotic Raspberries ballad from an alternate universe.  As much as I love Mike(and the Raspberries, no insult to them) and have no beef with TM,  Mike is the brainwashed cult member and the Maharishi is his basement dwelling Eunuch Guru, who just can't get a date(and it's a damn shame). In the live show, Mike's 5 minute long spoken introduction for this song was excruciating to watch. This is much more creepy than Hey Little Tomboy. Also not as catchy. I guess if Brian wrote it, we'd all like it. Brian wouldn't write sh*t like dis. I'll listen again. I'll give it another try. I'll feel bad after posting this.
Bravo  w00t! w00t!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 05:29:05 PM »

I really like "Chapel of Love" since it sounds like Brian is just excitedly speak-singing the lyrics and is almost too-desperately trying to believe what he's singing. It's definitely weird though, yeah.

Also, "Palisades Parks" cooks! It sounds demented in the best possible way! And what the f*** is Carl slurring excitedly and loudly in the middle of that one?

'Whooo.... Oh My GOD, this cookin' here I can't stand!!!!'
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2013, 08:55:48 PM »

I pretty much hated everything about this album upon first hearing, but through the years have grown to love its modest charms. Gruff Brian + farting synths is a big winner in my book.

1. Just Once in My Life
2. Had to Phone Ya
3. Back Home
4. That Same Song (version w/ choir would have rated higher even)
5. Palisades Park

6. Chapel of Love
7. Blueberry Hill
8. A Casual Look
9. T M Song
10. It's O.K.

11. Susie Cincinatti
12. Rock and Roll Music
13. Everyone's in Love with You
14. In the Still of the Night
15. Talk to Me

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 01:19:43 AM »

I do think Rock and Roll Music is a great live song. I love the Knebworth 1980 version Smiley Dennis beating the sh*t out of the drums Cool
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 02:31:29 AM »

Sheesh,  this album..    I'm an unapologetic fan even though I cop a lot of flack from people who know no better, serenading me with Kokomo etc,  and I gladly and proudly play most of their albums when friends come over.  But I will never play this.  Ever.  I can't really stand it to be honest.  I take what I like and forget the rest.  Also the cover is terrible.  They all look like odd.

Love:
1. It's Ok.  I really love this and it's on my BB faves playlist
2. Just Once In My Life.  I get a bit hypnotised by this song,  I adore it,  Carl's sluryness, Brian's yelly voice.  I dig it big time.

Ok:
Had to Phone Ya
Back Home,  though it's mainly because I love the live clip where he smacks the microphone around Smiley

Dislike intensely:
1. Rock and Roll Music.  Please.  Mike's nasal tones do not suit this song, it needs more guts. Dennis would have been better.

Ignore like it doesn't exist:
The rest of the album.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »

1. It's OK - Comes very close to recapturing the spirit of the early BB hits, even more so than Do It Again
2. Had to Phone Ya - Nice, very charming.
3. That Same Song - Fun. Brian sounds very into it. I especially like the version from the It's OK tv special with the gospel choir.
4. Back Home - Fun song, and it rocks. Isn't it amazing how the band automatically sounds A LOT better when Brian sounds like he's enjoying himself?
5. Blueberry Hill - Pretty cool arrangement. One of the few good covers here.
6. Everyone's in Love with You - Very pretty backing track (despite the overdose of cheese), awful lead vocal though...
7. In the Still of the Night - I don't dislike this. Dennis sounds cool. 'Little Girl (You're My Miss America)' 14 years on.
8. Just Once in My Life - I love the original version of this song... Obviously Carl and Dennis aren't singing very well, but Dennis sounds like he means it and that saves the whole thing a little bit.
9. Chapel of Love - Whatever.
10. Susie Cincinatti - Whatever.
11. Talk to Me - Whatever.
12. Palisades Park - Sounds incredibly bland compared to the original.
13. A Casual Look - Whatever. Again, terrible lead by Mike.
14. Rock and Roll Music - Awful. Chuck Berry should have sued the Boys for so brutally butchering his great classic.
15. TM Song - So bad that I suspect that Brian was intentionally f*cking with Al and Mike here.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 04:19:38 PM by shelter » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 01:52:01 PM »

The best
I just want to say that I'm a huge "TM Song" fan. It has the structured goofiness of a Friends song, or "When Girls Get Together". I particularly love the ending - the countdown, the purposefully obnoxious sax, and the abrupt conclusion of the song followed by the sound of someone smacking their lips and pulling a lyric sheet off of a stand or something.  And, yes, I do think Brian is making fun of TM, just like he did on Friends. Think of it as Brian's musically pleasant but snide undercutting of "Everyone's In Love You". It's like the perfect soundtrack for a late night Maharishi infomercial.

"Just Once In My Life" is a synth pop masterpiece. It's one of those instances where I think using a vocalist other than Brian (such as Dennis) would've helped the songs appeal. Emotionally, Brian's performance is good, but he just doesn't have a naturally gruff voice. It doesn't quite cut the mustard for the radio, while his smooth sound did.

"It's OK" is a great pop song. It's groovy and upbeat. The only flaws are that it feels a bit manic somehow, and the outro feels maybe a little undercooked with the "doot doots". Seems like a "dit dit" or a "doot doot" is what Brian just throws in when he doesn't have anything better.

The good
"Susie Cincinnati" has some really fun background vocals - as does "Rock & Roll Music" (and fart synths, which are instant win) - and "Had To Phone Ya" has shades of exquisiteness, but the bridge and outro seem rushed somehow, even there are some darn good ideas at work. "Back Home" is a guilty pleasure. The song and its execution is so simplistic, yet it's so catchy. Big ol' gruff Brian singing about staying home and people not believing how he's grown is oddly charming.

The rest
Otherwise, the album is kind of uninteresting and surprisingly bland, with a few good elements here and there.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 02:05:01 PM by Murry » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »

15. TM Song - So bad that I suspect that Brian was intentionally f*cking with Al and Mike here.

For the second time.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »

For the second time.
Third times the charm for the TWGMTR followup.  LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rogerlancelot
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2013, 04:49:18 PM »

I love "Had To Phone Ya" very much. I enjoy "Suzie Cincinnati" but prefer the bass heavy bootleg mix. I would rather listen to SIP than the rest of this album. This is one of the twofers where I skip the first album. The cover is their very worst. This whole project was just plain wrong. If they would have scratched it halfway through and waited for more original material then it could have been so much different.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2013, 05:35:08 PM »

Just relistened to this entire album and of the originals, most agree that TM Song is pure bad. Lyrically it's an abomination but the backing track is actually pretty interesting and imagine some better lyrics for it it coulda been in the vein of My Solution etc. Musically, the beach boys almost always hit the mark. Lyrically they missed many many many times.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »

Just relistened to this entire album and of the originals, most agree that TM Song is pure bad. Lyrically it's an abomination but the backing track is actually pretty interesting and imagine some better lyrics for it it coulda been in the vein of My Solution etc.

I agree. There was always something about the "TM Song" backing track that appealed to me. I wish Brian would've had different plans for it and developed it more. I remember seeing Al (with Mike) on The Mike Douglas Show in 1976, and Al sang "TM Song" with an additional opening verse!

There are several songs on 15 Big Ones with cool backing tracks, but, as mentioned, the lyrics and/or lead vocals disappointed. I'm thinking specifically of "Had To Phone Ya", ""Blueberry Hill", "Just Once In My Life", and even "Talk To Me/Tallahassee Lassie"
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »

Rank the tracks #20: 15 Big Ones

Do I have to? Grin

I've actually never given this album a fair listen. I've tried on several countless occasions to play this album all the way through, but have never quite gotten there.

It's Ok is one song that I truly despise. It's really NOT ok. I played the 'Warmth of the Sun' comp a few years ago during a road trip with my family: they were really liking the mix (hearing some of the tunes they hadn't heard since their childhood), then "FUN IS IN IT'S NO SIN, IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN" blasted the hell out of my speakers and I couldn't find the 'forward' button fast enough. WHY DID THEY PUT THAT SONG ON THAT COMPILATION!? Because the Beach Boys can find any possible way to screw anything up.

It's Ok is the first sign of their harking back to the good ol days...nothing wrong with nostalgia, but the way they did it was just awful. It's a precursor to KTSA and SIP.

Back to some good things; I think Palisades Park is great (I've never heard the original), Had To Phone Ya is alright (I've never really dug it like everyone else around here). Blueberry Hill was another standout for me.

I'll go back and try to listen to this album all the way through...for some reason I can't but help skipping songs on this one.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »

'Palisades Park' has a great track on there ... almost like a '60s session sound. I love 'TM Song' and 'Had to Phone Ya' too. This record is pretty good compared to what came after Love You. And better than Holland is some ways.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:39:43 PM by DonnyL » Logged

Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2013, 06:39:13 PM »

Yeah, I'm tellin' y'all, that song owns. The original version is super boring (even tame) in comparison! The guitars and synths on that track are outtasight!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2013, 06:43:25 PM »

I like "its ok" for being the ultimate sleazy 1970s BBs song.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2013, 06:52:21 PM »

I like "its ok" for being the ultimate sleazy 1970s BBs song.

made me bust out laughing LOL LOL

It's so sadly true though.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx