gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:04:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Video: Carl explains his behavior. Press Conference, Perth 1978  (Read 11741 times)
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2013, 06:14:46 AM »

I've lived most of my life in Perth and while I was only six-and-a-half in April 1978, I clearly remember scandalised talk that the Beach Boys had performed while drunk. My brothers and I owned a best-of and liked the BBs, but not to the extent that them coming to Perth was any kind of event for us. I was a bit disappointed at the onset of my full-blown fandom a decade later to read in Stephen Gaines' Heroes and Villains that all this happened in Melbourne. This turned out to be wrong of course - although Carl's performance in Melbourne was quite bad enough. My brother tells me Molly Meldrum blasted the group on Countdown (apologies to baffled non-antipodean readers here), which would have been one of a tiny number of cases of him offering an opinion on anything that wasn't completely fawning. I'm sure this would have been on the basis of the Melbourne show, which was shown on television besides (hence the footage on YouTube, if it's still there).

Question for the historians: what date would this press conference have been, and when did he cop his black eye from Rocky Pamplin?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:21:55 AM by William Bowe » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2013, 06:24:43 AM »

has all this anti-smoking stuff that even took over France reached Down Under yet?)

Just slightly. This is what cigarette packets are required to look like by law in Australia. Whenever I go to Europe, I'm always amazed at how relaxed attitudes are to smoking there.

If you'll pardon me for going off topic ...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:38:44 AM by William Bowe » Logged
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 06:26:53 AM »

Question for the historians: what date would this press conference have been [...]?
March 15th or 16th? In the documentary the partiular Perth gig is referred to as "last night's concert".
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2013, 06:33:37 AM »

I know that there is a chance that Carl might have seen film of himself from the show and it scared him straight...

They most definitely saw the video quickly; Carl in particular.
Back in the 70's, when they were doing 2 shows a night in 2 different cities, the main reason they had me shooting video was so it could be reviewed on the plane on the way to the next gig.  While there were moments of bliss that various members of the group wanted to re-experience, invariably it would be Carl, queueing up mistakes for them to view.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:36:10 AM by Ed Roach » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2013, 06:36:32 AM »

Bellagio Road says the Perth incident was March 14.

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/1978.html

It also reminds us that Carl "keeled over" at one point in the show. Someone pointed out earlier on that on the recording Carl appears to forget the entirety of the second verse of Darlin' - my instinct on hearing it was that he was on the ground at that time.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2013, 06:37:24 AM »

I know that there is a chance that Carl might have seen film of himself from the show and it scared him straight...

They most definitely saw the video quickly; Carl in particular.
Back in the 70's, when they were doing 2 shows a night in 2 different cities, the main reason they had me shooting video was so it could be reviewed on the plane on the way to the next gig.  While there were moments of bliss that various members of the group wanted to re-experience, invariably it would be Carl, queueing up ,mistakes for them to view.
Thank you for providing insight like that.  Listening

Quote from: William Bowe
Bellagio Road says the Perth incident was March 14.

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/1978.html
Press conference was likely on the 15th, then.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 06:38:52 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2013, 06:50:55 AM »

I see the tour chronology was covered pretty thoroughly here - though nothing on the date of the fracas with Rocky Pamplin. I guess what I'm wondering here is whether Carl hadn't yet received his "black eye" at the time of the press conference, or if perhaps the incident was less dramatic than some have painted it.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2013, 08:29:50 AM »

Black eye was received on March 8 1978 following first show in Melbourne.  It took place at meeting with David Frost (head of Paradine-the promoters).  I have talked to musicians in the band who say he had a black eye the next day and had to be heavily made up because March 9 show was being filmed.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2013, 08:39:56 AM »

Thanks for that, Ian.

It took place at meeting with David Frost (head of Paradine-the promoters). 

He of Frost/Nixon fame, no less. According to Stephen Gaines' account, as the meeting wound up with Carl laying unconscious, Stanley Love had the presence of mind to tell Frost: "It was a pleasure meeting you. I enjoyed all your Nixon interviews."
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »

Please forgive my ignorance. Carl got the black eye from falling down on the stage or Rocky punching him? And I don't have the Gaines book in front of me - why exactly did Rocky punch Carl again - what provoked it?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »

Rocky punching him. Gaines' book is on Google Books, so you can read the relevant bit here, from page 310 to 314 - with the no doubt maddening exception of page 312.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »

I can't believe the BBs employed Rocky as long as they did. This guy f***ed up the Wilson family in so many ways. I wish Brian had for once used his huge frame to kick Rocky's ass.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »

Not all huge frames are built for ass kickin', SB.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:24:03 AM by William Bowe » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »

Well Rocky beat up Dennis and Carl along with cheating with Brian's wife.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2013, 10:33:15 AM »

... which doesn't change Brian's personality.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »

... which doesn't change Brian's personality.
Definitely, its just crazy the three put up with him for so long. I guess I get too wound up when I think of Rocky.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2013, 10:38:05 AM »

Thanks, William!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »

I guess I get too wound up when I think of Rocky.

Especially when you look at his Playgirl photo spread.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2013, 03:47:12 PM »

I guess I get too wound up when I think of Rocky.

Especially when you look at his Playgirl photo spread.
Not sure why Steven Gaines had to put those pictures in his book instead of more BBs pictures.

William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2013, 01:51:53 AM »

In fairness, the Pamplin pic does illustrate a narrative point (i.e. that Marilyn not unreasonably wanted to hit that rather than Brian) in a way a band pic wouldn't have.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:53:37 AM by William Bowe » Logged
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »

Well, at least he apologized and was pretty open about it. Lots of other stars would brush it off, say nothing, or make excuses.

Yes, and the fact that he apologized for his behavior is "Classic Carl."  The man, even at a time when family problems had caused his life to spiral out of control, had more integrity than you'd see from most superstar types.  I, too, am glad that Carl got his life back on track so soon after the Australian tour.  I just regret that he never got the chance to return the favor to Rocky Pamplin.  But, of course, the eye-for-an-eye mentality would have been so unlike Carl.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx