Questions about the 1978 Austrailian recordings/films

<< < (2/11) > >>

TonyW:
First up BIG THANKS to Stephen McParland for his assistance in putting the following information together - especially concerning the concert dates. 1978 Australian tour dates:

1st March 1978: Arrived in Sydney.
2nd March 1978: National News Conference, Boulevade Hotel Sydney.
3rd March 1978: Depart Sydney.
5th March 1978: Brisbane Concert
8th March 1978: Melbourne Concert. Myer Music Bowl.
9th March 1978: Melbourne Concert. Myer Music Bowl.
12th March 1978: Adelaide Concert.
14th March 1978: Perth Concert. Perth Entertainment Centre
15th March 1978: Perth Concert. Perth Entertainment Centre
16th March 1978: Arrive back in Sydney.
17th March 1978: Gold Record Presentation at Sebel Townhouse
18th March 1978: Sydney Concert. Sydney Sporstground.
19th March 1978: Sydney Concert. Sydney Sportsground.

10th May 1978: Broadcast on the Seven Network of a section of the March 9th Melbourne show.

Prior to the arrival of the Beach Boys in Australia they played a couple of concerts in New Zealand.

NOTE: Somebody please finally record this information for posterity (I will send info the Eric Anniversario).

To clarify the original question:

The two tracks of God Only Knows and Good Vibration where Carl is very "drunk" were from the March 14 Perth show. These two tracks were booted on the Lei'd In Hawaii (Vigotone) boot in 1994 but the tracks were mistakenly listed as "Live in Sydney February 13 1978".

The full concert where Carl is still "under the weather" is from the March 15 Perth Show at the Perth Entertainmnet Centre. The show was booted on the "Surfin' Down Under" boot on Rock Calendar Records in 1993 - On the boot the show is again mistakenly credited as "Live in Perth, Western Australia Cricket Ground. February 14 1978" - venue and date are both incorrect.

The TV footage is from the March 9th show from the Myer Nusic Bowl show in Melbourne. The footage was aired on Australian TV on the Seven Network on May 10 1978.

The March 5 Brisbane Show as far as I know has not been "officially booted" but copies are doing the collectors circuit.

TonyW:
Hey Ian - looks like you and I were cross checking facts and posting away at the same time - I was unaware that there were so many concerts in Brisbane - seems unusual that there were 5 and I certainly don't recall that from the time - still happy to be wrong if we can finally confirm dates and put it all to rest. I attended the two Sydney shows.

I have a cassette tape of the 1978 Australian tour with all the news reports of the Perth debacle and the press conferences - including a very long interview with Dennis where he discuss with the editor of Tracks surfing magazine about surfing and music - really interesting. Ill try to get copies made in the next few weeks and start circulating them.

Anyhow - good to see we are in general agreement about dates!!! Finally!!!

MBE:
I would love to hear that, and also read scans of the articles. This tour has always fascinated me.

Jay:
Thanks a lot Ian and TonyW!  ;D Ian, would you be willing to "transcribe" that article about the March 2nd press conference, and post it? I would love to read it.

Jay:
Quote from: TonyW on January 28, 2008, 02:52:52 PM

To clarify the original question:

The two tracks of God Only Knows and Good Vibration where Carl is very "drunk" were from the March 14 Perth show. These two tracks were booted on the Lei'd In Hawaii (Vigotone) boot in 1994 but the tracks were mistakenly listed as "Live in Sydney February 13 1978".
This is the recording I'm the most curios about. This was the show where Carl "passed out", right? Are there any songs besides the two mentioned above that are circulating? I'd LOVE to hear more.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page