gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:34:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian to play with Al and David, July in Ohio  (Read 53456 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »

http://www.fraze.com/brian-wilson/

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 01:25:06 PM »

YEAH! Excellent news. There'll be more original Beach Boys on that stage than in the current touring group, crazy. Hope they put on a good show and utilise Dave and Al to their full potential.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 01:30:44 PM »

I WILL DEF BE THERE!

Tix are relatively cheap, being from Indiana, I'm so happy! I never know when's the last time I'll ever see BW in concert.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 01:47:51 PM »

Verrrrrrry interesting!

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 01:52:47 PM »

Wow! Well, there we go ...
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:16:50 PM »

just down the river from me...i'll be there...

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 02:20:16 PM »

Oh sh*t, the Blooies are all gonna have multiple orgasms.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »

Oh sh*t, the Blooies are all gonna have multiple orgasms.

LOL I was waiting for the snark! When that snark bites...with his teeth, dear...

All kidding aside, it'll be fascinating to see the set list, the presentation, et al. Might be like last year, only different. Intrigue commences forthwith.

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »

I'd love it if this line-up became a permanent one. If the reunion line-up can't stay together (as it very obviously can't) then having Al with Brian's band seems the ideal solution. I do hope this line-up plays Europe, though I would be very surprised if they do more than a tiny number of shows.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 02:33:22 PM »

Wow! Well, there we go ...

Yeah, there we go. The writing's on the wall for there being less likely of another tour with all of the band.  It'll probably be the Brian Wilson band with Al and Dave playing the greatest hits. Still be cool though. Ha Ha Ha! Tickets go on sale for a gig 6 months from now.

I like that "Happy Together Tour"! I'd like to see that!! Flo and Eddie and Chuck Negron doing 3 Mutt Night songs. Is Negron sober these days?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:34:45 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »

I wonder if David and Al will get to play some of their own songs but I doubt it

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Musketeer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »

I am 50 miles to the south and I will be there!
$55 for the best seats is very reasonable.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »

I wonder if David and Al will get to play some of their own songs but I doubt it

When Al toured with Brian briefly in 2006/7 he got to sing California Saga, so I imagine that may make the set. I suppose it's possible All This Is That might be included, too, since that was the only other Al composition to make the reunion tour setlist, and Brian seemed to really get into that one at times.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 03:03:37 PM »

I think All This is That was Mike's idea, Mike & Bruce were doing it before the reunion.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 03:18:59 PM »

How about David taking over "Desert Drive"Huh
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 03:20:44 PM »

Can he be advertised as Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys without legal problems?
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »

Can he be advertised as Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys without legal problems?
As long as he doesn't call the group "The Beach Boys" or include it in the title of the group (like Al did) I think it should be legal. It should be the same as saying "Paul McCartney of the Beatles" but his tours don't actually refer to him as such.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 03:26:57 PM »

I wish that Al and Dave would get more songs, perhaps many songs. I wasn't that impressed with Brian himself the couple of times I saw him, and that was years ago.  I'd certainly rather see a band where Al gets some leads as opposed to say, Darian or Jeff (and Brian seems to be taking fewer even in his own band, giving more to those other guys). I'd like to hear Al take a crack at "Sail On, Sailor" for instance.  Though I doubt this band will play that many gigs and I don't live in Ohio.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 03:35:38 PM »

Great to think of those 3 together. But I also hope that this does not preclude or interfere with any other reunion pottential, that is, album or shows, and frankly I think that it does not interfere.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 03:54:47 PM »

I wish that Al and Dave would get more songs, perhaps many songs. I wasn't that impressed with Brian himself the couple of times I saw him, and that was years ago.  I'd certainly rather see a band where Al gets some leads as opposed to say, Darian or Jeff (and Brian seems to be taking fewer even in his own band, giving more to those other guys). I'd like to hear Al take a crack at "Sail On, Sailor" for instance.

Seeing as your comments are based on seeing Brian twice several years ago, you won't be at all surprised when I say that said comments are worthless. Since then he's upped his game significantly.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 04:01:50 PM »

I think All This is That was Mike's idea, Mike & Bruce were doing it before the reunion.

Oh, absolutely -- Mike's been doing that in his longer sets for *years*. Just thinking maybe it might be one they've been reminded of having done it live recently. But chances are that if Al does any of his own songs at all, it'll just be California.

John Malone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »

Rock!

Since this is the day after my birthday, I will be making the trip from Illinois! Great news!!!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 04:30:13 PM »

Oh, absolutely -- Mike's been doing that in his longer sets for *years*. Just thinking maybe it might be one they've been reminded of having done it live recently. But chances are that if Al does any of his own songs at all, it'll just be California.

I'm betting on "And Then I Kissed Her" and maybe some of the Pet Sounds tracks.  With David on board, I'd say "Pet Sounds" itself is a cert!

Very happy man here...

Cheers,
Jon Blum
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 04:40:31 PM »

I'm betting on "And Then I Kissed Her" and maybe some of the Pet Sounds tracks.  With David on board, I'd say "Pet Sounds" itself is a cert!

Very happy man here...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Oh, I was only talking about songs Al *wrote* -- I've absolutely no doubt he'll sing Rhonda, Then I Kissed Her and a few others. And yes, it would be ridiculous for them *not* to include Pet Sounds.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 04:40:41 PM »

That's super cool!  I hope they do more shows across the country.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx