gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:59:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian to play with Al and David, July in Ohio  (Read 53761 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2013, 11:22:51 PM »

The Beach Boys of the C50 are all in their later years and IMO deserved all the care and attention to detail a tour of that length deserved. Brian had his own bus according to the RS story. I would not be surprised to hear they had medical staff travelling with them plus a multitude of other staff not to mention the large touring group on stage. It was done right and we loved it.

But for Mike and his stripped down operation it could not meet his market this year. Simple as that I think.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:24:19 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2013, 01:12:21 AM »

When I saw Al join Al in '07 in Oakland, this is what they played. Wouldn't be surprised if they did many of these again, with Dave singing leads on the ones he sang on the 50th tour (like Getcha Back, Don't Back Down, Hawaii).

I'd be *astonished* if they did Getcha Back, given that it's a Mike song.

I think it'd be great. David sang it very well on last year's tour. Mike's kid sings it in the Mike & Bruce show (when Mike's not singing it).

Has there ever been an explanation as to why Mike doesn't sing this song anymore, in any incarnation of The Beach Boys? It's not like he's not up to it, vocally...

Mike didn't really like his vocal on that song and he wrote it with Dennis in mind for the lead.

I can hear it now... and it's beautiful!

Either way, I think speculation is getting lightly out of hand after the announcement of one date. A few more, likely. A full tour. less likely, but potentially. Those who say an album is likely are off their rocker personally.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2013, 04:07:18 AM »

Optimistic as always that they pull some wild flowers into their setlist like Let The Wind Blow, Marcella, Sail On Sailor, On My Way To Sunny California, All This Is That, Til I Die, Lookin At Tomorrow, This Whole World, Honkin Down The Highway (why is this never performed with a loud outragous moog?), Vegetables, You Still Believe In Me, Arent You Glad or I'd Love Just Once To See You ^^
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2013, 05:56:18 AM »

people sure have active imaginations for something 6 months down the road...  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2013, 07:22:12 AM »

Wow! Very exciting news! I'll definitely try to be there! Cheesy
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2013, 07:35:51 AM »

Excited about this show, I hope this leads to M&B to drop their game and rejoin the rest as the real BBs.

It's looking like that's not happening  Undecided
A shame, M&B aren't the BBs even if they licensed the named in 1998 during vastly different circumstances.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 07:58:56 AM »

Interesting to see what this suggests about the inter-band dynamics -- this has all the hallmarks of a BW passive-aggressive power play.

BW Power play? Are you insinuating that there is another motive in play here other than a couple of friends getting together to perform a show?
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »

When Mike agreed to the 50th celebration, he did the "right" thing for the band's legacy - but the wrong thing for himself. He gambled that Brian would do a couple legs, poop out and get tired of everyone, take off - and then Mike would say, "Oh well, I tried" and be "The Beach Boys" again.

That, sir, is complete and utter bullsh*t. You patently have no clue regarding the backstage dynamics of the entire Smile/C50 event. I say again, utter bullsh*t, and uninformed bullsh*t at that.

First of all, how do you assume I'm a sir?

Secondly...Trust me, folks - AGD either doesn't REALLY know everything that's going on backstage, or is just making it up. Or, is just listening to Bruce's side of the story (surprise).
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2013, 10:32:09 AM »

Interesting to see what this suggests about the inter-band dynamics -- this has all the hallmarks of a BW passive-aggressive power play. And if it actually becomes a full-scale summer tour, there will be a lot of press about how this group has more original BBs in it than the band with the name. Mark my words.

Agreed. And if they make an album, and tour it, it's not good for Mike at all. When Mike agreed to the 50th celebration, he did the "right" thing for the band's legacy - but the wrong thing for himself. He gambled that Brian would do a couple legs, poop out and get tired of everyone, take off - and then Mike would say, "Oh well, I tried" and be "The Beach Boys" again.

Source?

Read Mike's letter to the LA Times.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2013, 11:09:24 AM »

people sure have active imaginations for something 6 months down the road...  Smiley

Very true, Mr. Mayo.  That's what happens when there's nothing else to talk about.  This board's all about speculation from all different angles.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »

When Mike agreed to the 50th celebration, he did the "right" thing for the band's legacy - but the wrong thing for himself. He gambled that Brian would do a couple legs, poop out and get tired of everyone, take off - and then Mike would say, "Oh well, I tried" and be "The Beach Boys" again.

That, sir, is complete and utter bullsh*t. You patently have no clue regarding the backstage dynamics of the entire Smile/C50 event. I say again, utter bullsh*t, and uninformed bullsh*t at that.

Secondly...Trust me, folks - AGD either doesn't REALLY know everything that's going on backstage, or is just making it up. Or, is just listening to Bruce's side of the story (surprise).
I'd think twice about questioning Andrew on this matter. He may not know everything, but he knows enough. He surely doesn't make sh*t up, either.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »

Interesting to see what this suggests about the inter-band dynamics -- this has all the hallmarks of a BW passive-aggressive power play. And if it actually becomes a full-scale summer tour, there will be a lot of press about how this group has more original BBs in it than the band with the name. Mark my words.

Agreed. And if they make an album, and tour it, it's not good for Mike at all. When Mike agreed to the 50th celebration, he did the "right" thing for the band's legacy - but the wrong thing for himself. He gambled that Brian would do a couple legs, poop out and get tired of everyone, take off - and then Mike would say, "Oh well, I tried" and be "The Beach Boys" again.

Source?

Since you brought all of this up, please provide the exact quote?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2013, 11:46:24 AM »

Source?

Since you brought all of this up, please provide the exact quote?

"In fact, very early on, Brian was just going to join the tour for a few dates in big cities." - Mike Love.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/05/entertainment/la-et-ms-mike-love-beach-boys-on-brian-wilson-20121004

As Mike had envisioned. Which clearly didn't happen.
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »

I'd think twice about questioning Andrew on this matter. He may not know everything, but he knows enough. He surely doesn't make sh*t up, either.

Oooo...I'm scared. Not saying he makes sh*t up. Just saying his primary source may not be giving him the whole truth.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2013, 12:41:53 PM »

AGD is a great guy and wonderful historian who has done a lot for BBs fandom, but I agree he isn't impartial on this issue with M&B vs. B/A/D.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »

Respectively, correct, I don't know everything that's going on backstage... incorrect, I don't make anything up, for various reasons (like, integrity and not being an idiot) but mainly because the folk we're discussing keep a watching brief on this and other forums (fact, not my belief or opinion)... and incorrect: as with any half-decent researcher, I have more than one primary source.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »

"In fact, very early on, Brian was just going to join the tour for a few dates in big cities." - Mike Love.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/oct/05/entertainment/la-et-ms-mike-love-beach-boys-on-brian-wilson-20121004

But your claim was that Mike "gambled" on Brian dropping out, whereas what he's saying here is that the early game plan was for Brian to do selected prestige dates, which as anyone with even a basic grasp of the English language will realise is something entirely different. Ergo, you have just shot yourself in the foot a la James Watt.  Grin  Piece of advice when quoting someone in support of your idee fixee - make sure what they say does actually agree with you and not contradict it, as it does here.

Oooo...I'm scared. Not saying he makes sh*t up. Just saying his primary source may not be giving him the whole truth.

Actually, you did, as highlighted in red. You called me, in essence, a liar.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:41:24 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »

AGD is a great guy and wonderful historian who has done a lot for BBs fandom, but I agree he isn't impartial on this issue with M&B vs. B/A/D.

If you mean I'm not toeing the "Mike always bad/Brian always good" line, then I agree - I'm not impartial.

Further point to ponder: remember what happened the last time Alan joined forces with Brian ?  All ended rather abruptly with some explanations that were about as watertight as a colander and as plausible as Lance Armstrong. As Churchill said, history may not repeat itself but historical situations recur.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2013, 01:15:25 PM »

Exactly. It's obvious he's siding with the Mike and Bruce faction, since Bruce is his inside source. Which is awesome. I greatly appreciate Andrew. But he's obvious siding with the guy that gives him a bunch of his info.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 01:16:27 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »

Do me a favor, don't play that babyshit game here. Read and learn. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2013, 01:25:43 PM »

If you mean I'm not toeing the "Mike always bad/Brian always good" line, then I agree - I'm not impartial.

Further point to ponder: remember what happened the last time Alan joined forces with Brian ?  All ended rather abruptly with some explanations that were about as watertight as a colander and as plausible as Lance Armstrong. As Churchill said, history may not repeat itself but historical situations recur.
The issue is deeper than that, the BBs should be all together using the name. If they are not, the name should be inactive to build up demand for future reunion tours. I think Brian and Al will stay together this time since they are fighting for something very important, the future of the BBs.

JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2013, 01:37:58 PM »

But your claim was that Mike "gambled" on Brian dropping out, whereas what he's saying here is that the early game plan was for Brian to do selected prestige dates, which as anyone with even a basic grasp of the English language will realise is something entirely different. Ergo, you have just shot yourself in the foot a la James Watt.  Grin  Piece of advice when quoting someone in support of your idee fixee - make sure what they say does actually agree with you and not contradict it, as it does here.

Actually, you did, as highlighted in red.

Read between the lines, genius. Mike only agreed to make the album when it was thought Brian would be a part-time tour participant. Then when the whole tour came up, the sh*t hit the fan. Why do you think the Grammy nomination show announcement never happened? When I spoke to Mike in December 2011 and asked if they were going to do the project, he said, quickly, "If we don't kill each other first." (Uh oh - SOMEBODY OTHER THAN ANDREW TALKING TO A BEACH BOY?? OH MY!) But by then it was too late - he was already committed.

AGD is the Fox News of Beach Boys information. Completely biased, impartially informed and therefore, prone to molding said information into half-truths. A mouthpiece for Mike and Bruce. Does he have a wealth of Beach Boys knowledge? Absolutely. It's a shame he lets his opinions and friendship with Bruce get in the way of it all. AGD - you know everything? Fine - then tell us the release plans for this year. Is there gonna be a new album, and if so, from who? Let's see what you know.

And a piece of advice for you, AGD: try speaking the way you do to others in real life as when you're in the safety of your pajamas, on your computer. See what happens.
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »

Do me a favor, don't play that babysh*t game here. Read and learn. Smiley

Do me a favor - get bent.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »

The issue is deeper than that, the BBs should be all together using the name. If they are not, the name should be inactive to build up demand for future reunion tours. I think Brian and Al will stay together this time since they are fighting for something very important, the future of the BBs.

I don't think Al and Brian are fighting for the future of the Beach Boys by touring together. Or else, why did Brian agree to give Mike the touring rights to the name in the first place, or why doesn't he take it to court instead of touring with Al Jardine, which isn't going to accomplish a thing in terms of depriving Mike of the touring name rights? I think Brian and Al and Dave are just out to have fun and to keep some publicity out there for themselves, but it will have no affect on the Beach Boys' touring name rights or whether they ultimately reunite with Mike and Bruce for another tour and/or album.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »

Exactly. It's obvious he's siding with the Mike and Bruce faction, since Bruce is his inside source. Which is awesome. I greatly appreciate Andrew. But he's obvious siding with the guy that gives him a bunch of his info.

Who told you Bruce was my inside source ?  Wasn't Bruce, I'm thinking, and I know it wasn't me, because aside from any other reason, it's simply not the case. If I side with anyone or anything, it's checkable fact or plausible deduction. I don't indulge in idle, mindless or biased speculation.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx