gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:36:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian to play with Al and David, July in Ohio  (Read 53461 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »

When I saw Al join Brian in '07 in Oakland, this is what they played. Wouldn't be surprised if they did many of these again, with Dave singing leads on the ones he sang on the 50th tour (like Getcha Back, Don't Back Down, Hawaii).

1. Surfer Girl
2. Hawaii
3. Add Some Music To Your Day
4. Please Let Me Wonder
5. Drive In
6. Then I Kissed Her (Al)
7. Break Away (Brian/Al)
8. Dance, Dance, Dance
9. The Little Girl I Once Knew
10. Do It Again
11. In My Room
12. California Saga: California (Al)
13. Do You Wanna Dance
14. When I Grow Up (To Be A Man)
15. I Get Around
16. California Girls
17. Sail On Sailor
18. Marcella
19. Good Vibrations
20. Johnny B. Goode
21. Help Me Rhonda (Al)
22. Barbara Ann (Brian on bass)
23. Surfin’ USA (Brian on bass)
24. Fun Fun Fun
25. Love And Mercy

And the entire Pet Sounds album in between.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:06:32 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 04:57:36 PM »

When I saw Al join Al in '07 in Oakland, this is what they played. Wouldn't be surprised if they did many of these again, with Dave singing leads on the ones he sang on the 50th tour (like Getcha Back, Don't Back Down, Hawaii).

I'd be *astonished* if they did Getcha Back, given that it's a Mike song.

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »

Interesting to see what this suggests about the inter-band dynamics -- this has all the hallmarks of a BW passive-aggressive power play. And if it actually becomes a full-scale summer tour, there will be a lot of press about how this group has more original BBs in it than the band with the name. Mark my words.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 05:58:56 PM »

When I saw Al join Al in '07 in Oakland, this is what they played. Wouldn't be surprised if they did many of these again, with Dave singing leads on the ones he sang on the 50th tour (like Getcha Back, Don't Back Down, Hawaii).

I think it'd be great. David sang it very well on last year's tour. Mike's kid sings it in the Mike & Bruce show (when Mike's not singing it). No reason Dave couldn't do it again. Same with Don't Back Down, which is also done on the ML Greatest Hits Tour.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »

That is great news....

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 06:27:22 PM »

The last suite from TWGMTR album would be nice. Going by Mikes remarks and actions in the summer RS story, he wasn't a huge fan of those tracks. Brians shows they would fit right in.

BTW. Between the few Mike and Bruce shows and the Brian and Al gig since the end of the C50, have any songs from the album been done? No3 'hit album' and all?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 06:40:08 PM »

I think it'd be great. David sang it very well on last year's tour. Mike's kid sings it in the Mike & Bruce show (when Mike's not singing it).

Has there ever been an explanation as to why Mike doesn't sing this song anymore, in any incarnation of The Beach Boys? It's not like he's not up to it, vocally...

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 06:52:37 PM »

I just assume it is a chance for his voice to take a break. He does have to take a lot of leads in the Mike and Bruce show.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 06:56:41 PM »

What show did Dave sing 'Don't Back Down'?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 07:10:04 PM »

I think it'd be great. David sang it very well on last year's tour. Mike's kid sings it in the Mike & Bruce show (when Mike's not singing it).

Has there ever been an explanation as to why Mike doesn't sing this song anymore, in any incarnation of The Beach Boys? It's not like he's not up to it, vocally...

Mike didn't really like his vocal on that song and he wrote it with Dennis in mind for the lead.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 07:56:40 PM »

Wouldn't be surprised if Al pulls out "Come Go With Me" and/or "Cottonfields" for this gig and others.  Al Jardine mainstays.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:05:40 PM by Mikie » Logged

Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 09:19:13 PM »

Hope they add more dates and make this into a tour. Loved C50 and would love to see Brian/Al/Dave.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »

Oh sh*t, the Blooies are all gonna have multiple orgasms.

Much the way you do when we get dates from the band with one less Beach Boy?
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 09:44:51 PM »

The last suite from TWGMTR album would be nice. Going by Mikes remarks and actions in the summer RS story, he wasn't a huge fan of those tracks.

The guy really is the devil, isn't he?
JR
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 10:15:46 PM »

Interesting to see what this suggests about the inter-band dynamics -- this has all the hallmarks of a BW passive-aggressive power play. And if it actually becomes a full-scale summer tour, there will be a lot of press about how this group has more original BBs in it than the band with the name. Mark my words.

Agreed. And if they make an album, and tour it, it's not good for Mike at all. When Mike agreed to the 50th celebration, he did the "right" thing for the band's legacy - but the wrong thing for himself. He gambled that Brian would do a couple legs, poop out and get tired of everyone, take off - and then Mike would say, "Oh well, I tried" and be "The Beach Boys" again.

Problem being...that didn't happen at all, as we all know. So if Brian, Al and Dave do an album, tour and - because Brian's involved - hit the morning shows and late night shows with new (presumably rock) songs...not good for Mike. He no longer has the "other members have gone, but Mike Love keeps carrying on the Beach Boys legacy" line to lead every phony newspaper write-up. So the irony being that, for Mike - given his apparent motives - the 50th tour was a big mistake; yet, going back to the way things were while the other guys work on new stuff would be an even greater mistake. Classic two wrongs not making a right.

It seems animosity between "camps" has less to do with Mike and Brian and more to do with their people. So, maybe there's the chance each camp will go out and do their stuff this summer - then release MIC in the fall, and hit the studio to do the rock album in the winter for a 2014 tour (similar to the SMiLE Sessions/Reunion/TWGMTR progression). While, personally, I'd still be irked at the irrationality of a band that has LESS Beach Boys than another non-Beach Boys band calling itself "The Beach Boys" - I could live with it if there's more material to follow. That's honestly been my biggest problem with Mike's statements about the current state of the band - not allowing for even the possibility to work as the full band again. Seems more stubborn and mean than "professional."

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2013, 10:21:15 PM »

Agreed. And if they make an album, and tour it, it's not good for Mike at all. When Mike agreed to the 50th celebration, he did the "right" thing for the band's legacy - but the wrong thing for himself. He gambled that Brian would do a couple legs, poop out and get tired of everyone, take off - and then Mike would say, "Oh well, I tried" and be "The Beach Boys" again.

Source?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »

Mike and Bruce will be missed but this is GREAT news!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2013, 10:37:44 PM »

When Mike agreed to the 50th celebration, he did the "right" thing for the band's legacy - but the wrong thing for himself. He gambled that Brian would do a couple legs, poop out and get tired of everyone, take off - and then Mike would say, "Oh well, I tried" and be "The Beach Boys" again.

That, sir, is complete and utter bullshit. You patently have no clue regarding the backstage dynamics of the entire Smile/C50 event. I say again, utter bullshit, and uninformed bullshit at that.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2013, 10:42:36 PM »

Oh, absolutely -- Mike's been doing that in his longer sets for *years*. Just thinking maybe it might be one they've been reminded of having done it live recently. But chances are that if Al does any of his own songs at all, it'll just be California.

I'm betting on "And Then I Kissed Her" and maybe some of the Pet Sounds tracks.  With David on board, I'd say "Pet Sounds" itself is a cert!

Very happy man here...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Oh, I was only talking about songs Al *wrote* -- I've absolutely no doubt he'll sing Rhonda, Then I Kissed Her and a few others. And yes, it would be ridiculous for them *not* to include Pet Sounds.

Of course they'll do some Pet Sounds tracks - "WIBN", "SJB" and "GOK". Like... the hits ?

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »

Excited about this show, I hope this leads to M&B to drop their game and rejoin the rest as the real BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 10:45:50 PM »

When Mike agreed to the 50th celebration, he did the "right" thing for the band's legacy - but the wrong thing for himself. He gambled that Brian would do a couple legs, poop out and get tired of everyone, take off - and then Mike would say, "Oh well, I tried" and be "The Beach Boys" again.

That, sir, is complete and utter bullsh*t. You patently have no clue regarding the backstage dynamics of the entire Smile/C50 event. I say again, utter bullsh*t, and uninformed bullsh*t at that.

I take JR's point to be that Mike had every reason to believe that Brian saw touring with the group as a chore that would be out of his system after the summer dates. That's certainly what a lot of folks here (including myself) thought would happen.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 10:46:43 PM »

Oh, absolutely -- Mike's been doing that in his longer sets for *years*. Just thinking maybe it might be one they've been reminded of having done it live recently. But chances are that if Al does any of his own songs at all, it'll just be California.

I'm betting on "And Then I Kissed Her" and maybe some of the Pet Sounds tracks.  With David on board, I'd say "Pet Sounds" itself is a cert!

Very happy man here...

Cheers,
Jon Blum

Oh, I was only talking about songs Al *wrote* -- I've absolutely no doubt he'll sing Rhonda, Then I Kissed Her and a few others. And yes, it would be ridiculous for them *not* to include Pet Sounds.

Of course they'll do some Pet Sounds tracks - "WIBN", "SJB" and "GOK". Like... the hits ?

I think he is meaning the PS instrumental Dave started most of the 2nd half of the C50 gigs Andrew.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2013, 10:57:28 PM »

That, sir, is complete and utter bullsh*t. You patently have no clue regarding the backstage dynamics of the entire Smile/C50 event. I say again, utter bullsh*t, and uninformed bullsh*t at that.

I take JR's point to be that Mike had every reason to believe that Brian saw touring with the group as a chore that would be out of his system after the summer dates. That's certainly what a lot of folks here (including myself) thought would happen.

Having a belief is one thing. Stating it as (erroneous) fact is something else. Hands up, I thought the tour wouldn't end with all the principals on stage (for entirely different reasons)... but I wasn't dumb enough to state it as a fact because after a very few gigs it was evident that they were all into it. And stating it retroactively, well...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:58:50 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2013, 10:58:26 PM »

Who Doe Shot JR! Grin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:59:28 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2013, 11:02:30 PM »

Excited about this show, I hope this leads to M&B to drop their game and rejoin the rest as the real BBs.

It's looking like that's not happening  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx