gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:36:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Brian Wilson" to be reissued on vinyl.  (Read 25799 times)
MBE
« on: January 16, 2013, 05:05:09 PM »

This should sound better than the original LP or CD.
http://www.elusivedisc.com/BRIAN-WILSON-BRIAN-WILSON-180g-LP-BLUE-VINYL/productinfo/FRMLP2566/&utm_source=email&utm_medium=special
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »

I want. I already own it on vinyl and cd (2x) AND I have a signed promo poster for it, but I WANT.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 05:51:35 PM »

Such an underrated album

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 06:28:23 PM »

Sure, why not?  Rake in some $$ !  All us vinyl types will have to buy it. 

I like: 
>>In 1988, Brian Wilson took some time out from The Beach Boys and ventured out on his own <<  YEAH!!   

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 07:01:06 PM »

Anything is better than the originals. When I listen to this album, I pull out the 2000 reissued remastered CD from Rhino. Has 15 boner tracks on it. Sounds beautiful. Press a button and you can skip through the preferred songs if you want. Much easier than carefully puuuuling the vinyl out of the sleeve, carefully puuuuutting in on the turntable, carefully liiiiiifting the tone arm and carefully plaaaacing the needle on the record. Too much trouble. Too many beers and it's a pain in the assterisk to do. It ain't worth it.

I might buy one just to look at and say I have it. Like Bgas does.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 07:09:01 PM »

Anything is better than the originals. When I listen to this album, I pull out the 2000 reissued remastered CD from Rhino. Has 15 boner tracks on it. Sounds beautiful. Press a button and you can skip through the preferred songs if you want. Much easier than carefully puuuuling the vinyl out of the sleeve, carefully puuuuutting in on the turntable, carefully liiiiiifting the tone arm and carefully plaaaacing the needle on the record. Too much trouble. Too many beers and it's a pain in the assterisk to do. It ain't worth it.

I might buy one just to look at and say I have it. Like Bgas does.

see, there ya go.
That's pretty much what I do. maybe I should collect something else?

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 07:16:45 PM »

Think they're stretching things a bit with the promotion:

Jeff Lynne (ELO, Traveling Wilburys) joins the team as well for one of the finest collaborative efforts ever between two legends with the beautiful Let It Shine.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 07:17:18 PM »

The 2000 remaster was ridiculously brickwalled. Unlistenable to me.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »

I dunno. Whenever I get a piece of vinyl these days I just look at it, take the shrink wrap off (so it doesn't warp), and store it away in the collectione with the rest of the vinyl. Don't even have my turntable hooked up to my stereo anymore. It has cob webs on it. Takes up too much space and it's not worth the effort pull it out and to fire it up. Guess my audiophile ears from 20 years ago no longer fully appreciate the warm, rich, lossless analog sound that virgin vinyl produces...

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 07:29:53 PM »

Beats the hell outta the original.  It's got a coupla mistakes in the mixes, but so what.  Much more to listen to and I don't have any sound problems with it.

Also like my limited edition "Brian Wilson '88" CD in the blue leatherbound case with the silk-screened disk and booklet.  It's boss.  Cool
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:34:56 PM by Mikie » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »

Beats the hell outta the original.  It's got a coupla mistakes in the mixes, but so what.  Much more to listen to and I don't have any sound problems with it.

Also like my limited edition "Brian Wilson '88" CD in the blue leatherbound case with the silk-screened disk and booklet.  It's boss.  Cool

How do I identify the 2000 Remaster CD? 
I've heard about it alot but I can never remember( til now) to ask; and on account of thjose mix mistakes, it would be neat to have one in the collection 

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 07:44:05 PM »

Beats the hell outta the original.

Over the head with a two-by-four, till no life remains in it.

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 07:55:18 PM »

>>In 1988, Brian Wilson took some time out from The Beach Boys and ventured out on his own <<  YEAH!!   
It really was a great time to step away, wasn't it?  Denny had passed and they did their "we're still together, still here, still a band" album with BB85.  That was a good response to the tragedy... a very serious effort, I think, to refocus the band and try something new.  Get together and heal.  Get back on the bike.  And a strong signal to fans that they wanted to make music no matter what.

So 1988 was a good time to step away and breathe.  Find himself, or whatever.  Those moments in life when you say... why haven't I done something like this?  For me!

I'm going to play this album right now... it's been way too long.

KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 08:40:24 PM »

That album is what got me into the Beach Boys in a serious way. I still have the original vinyl as well as both versions of the CD. I'm not sure I'll invest in the new vinyl, though.  I still listen to my old LP's but I've never gotten into collecting audiophile vinyl reissues.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 08:57:14 PM »

Vinyl reissues these days are merely CDs pressed on vinyl. They are all pressed in plants that are not up to the industry standards the US and UK had in the 70's and 80's. The 180 gram thing is a total scam, it has nothing to do with quality sound, it is only because the vinyl is so thick there is less chance of warpage (which means less money lost for the company).

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 09:11:12 PM »

The original vinyl is fine. Not worth a reinvestment on my part.

Wake me up when they get to Imagination (or how about Orange Crate Art??!!).

p.s. These guys did a great job on the recent vinyl edition IJWMFTT:

http://www.amazon.com/Just-Wasnt-Made-These-Times/dp/B007HM3178/ref=tmm_vnl_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1358399296&sr=1-2

Anybody who likes this album and likes records should own it. Really nice.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 09:23:45 PM »

True dat, Spacer. That's the advantage of the 160G/180G warpage - an advantage by itself. Japanese standard vinyl is 160G. Thick vinyl will preserve better in the long run and when pressed properly, will track fantastically. Other than that, I think 180 gram vinyl is nothing but a marketing ploy. There are a lot (note spelling, Bgas) of bad 180G pressings out there, and there are plenty of great 160G pressings. It's all about the mastering and quality control at the pressing plant. If you don't market your album to audiophiles, who will buy a damn 180G record over a 160G record? So just stay with a 160G release. It's not gonna make any difference sonically.

Unlike those 70's/90's albums on Warner/Reprise/Sire albums that would warp like a banshee if you left them sealed with shrink or exposed them to extended temperatures or stored them incorrectly. Tgey used melted down chaep vinyl back then to save an almighty buck.

P.S. Just picked up "Thank God For The Radio" and "Lucky Old Sun" vinyl albums. 12 bucks each, so I took 'em and ran. Probably never play them. Might go back for the "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" vinyl since Bubba Ho Tep recommended it.......

What's a Bubba Ho-Tep, anyway??
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:29:01 PM by Mikie » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 09:43:25 PM »

How do I identify the 2000 Remaster CD? 
I've heard about it alot but I can never remember( til now) to ask; and on account of thjose mix mistakes, it would be neat to have one in the collection 

You serious?  Front cover is the same as the original. You look at the back of the CD cover and printed vertically up the right side it'll say "This Reissue/Compilation 2000 Warner Bros. Records, Inc. & Rhino Entertainment Company". On the edge of the CD it'll say           R2 79960        Briiiiiiiaaaaan Wilson      Warner Archives/Rhino.

Here's more than you need to know about the CD:

http://discog.fleetwoodmac.net/discog.php?pid=274

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 10:00:07 PM »

Ho-Tep (ho-tep’) n.
1.Relative or descendant of the 17 Egyptian Dynasties, 3100-1500 B.C.  2. Family Surname of an Egyptian Pharaoh (king).

Bubba (bub’uh) n.
1.Male from the Southern U.S.  2. Good ole boy   3. Cracker, red neck, trailer park resident
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 10:41:29 PM »

Ho-Tep (ho-tep’) n.
1.Relative or descendant of the 17 Egyptian Dynasties, 3100-1500 B.C.  2. Family Surname of an Egyptian Pharaoh (king).

Bubba (bub’uh) n.
1.Male from the Southern U.S.  2. Good ole boy   3. Cracker, red neck, trailer park resident

It's also a cult movie with Bruce Campbell and Ossie Davis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubba_Ho-tep
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »

Replace all the damn bell sounds with farty snyths and the album would be fixed. Like imagine "There's So Many" with a bunch of farty snyths in the background instead of tinkling bells when Brian sings the "planets are spinning around" bit. Much better.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 11:03:18 PM »

I'm just going to save my pennies and save my dimes here - the fact it's on Translucent Blue will probably slightly weaken the sound, but I'm happy with my minty original. I don't play it enough to warrant it anyway.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 11:47:50 PM »

Wonder how the credits will read this time around, and which mixes they'll press up?

“We live in divisive times.”
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »

I'm pretty happy with my original vinyl pressing, but man...call me crazy, but when I read "First-time gatefold jacket" I got very excited.  I received a couple of Friday Music LPs for Christmas (Toto, Guess Who) and they sound amazing, with excellent sleeve quality.  I love this album, so I'm in.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 11:48:33 PM »

Wonder how the credits will read this time around, and which mixes they'll press up?

I bet a few Landy credits get in there by accident.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx