gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:34:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #16: Sunflower  (Read 39309 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 12:59:49 AM »

Hard to rank these tracks...I like most of them a whole lot...at roughly the same level...

1. It's About Time
2. Cool, Cool Water
3. Forever
4. Slip On Through
5. Deirdre
6. All I Wanna Do
7. At My Window
8. This Whole World
9. Our Sweet Love

10. Add Some Music To Your Day
11. Got To Know The Woman

12. Tears In The Morning....distant last.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 02:00:25 AM »

1. Add Some Music (agree with Brian on the Roxy CD regarding the lyrics!)
2. All I Wanna Do
3. Forever
4. Cool Cool Water (for me, the song peaks when Brian sings "From the mountains...": the first minutes of the song then turns out to be a build-up just for this - so great!)
5. Our Sweet Love
6. This Whole World
7. Deirdre
8. It's About Time
9. At My Window
10. Slip On Through
11. Got To Know The Woman
12. Tears In The Morning

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 05:30:27 AM »

Remembering....back in the day (early '77), working in two different LA record stores (Rhino and another one closer to the beach...this incident was at the other store, not Rhino, a place that at the time was not particularly BB-friendly)... anyway, playing Sunflower and a customer came up (remember, this is early '77) and asks if this is the new BB album. I said, "Wouldn't it be nice", got a bit of an arched eyebrow for that wisecrack (still do, actually...), and quickly said, "no, no, this is Sunflower from a few years back, if only they could make another one like it--and, hey, if you don't own it, you owe it to yourself." He wound up buying it and I remember thinking: "Yesss! One for the good guys!"

And I did NOT follow up Sunflower by playing 15BO. No, no, NO!

1. All I Wanna Do
2. This Whole World
3. Slip On Through
4. Cool Cool Water
5. It's About Time
6. Forever
7. Got to Know the Woman
8. Add Some Music
9. Our Sweet Love
10. At My Window

11. Dierdre
12. Tears in the Morning

Dennis' three up-tempo numbers give the record its oomph (have always loved GTKTW, with one of Mike's greatest bass lines...); Brian's songs find the sweet spot in that undefinable region between Wild Honey and Friends with the production sheen of Pet Sounds (largely due to Mr. Desper's groundbreaking work); and Bruce's songs are well-arranged, well-performed schmaltz.
Kirk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 06:37:03 AM »

I've always thought of SUNFLOWER as the anti-WHITE ALBUM. In other words, if THE BEATLES was "John with a backing band, Paul with a backing band," as Lennon once complained, SUNFLOWER creates the illusion---and I'm sure it's an illusion---of a mutually supportive collaborative group. No single song has the greatness of "Surf's Up" or "Til I Die" ("This Whole World" comes close) but somehow the humility of the individual selections only makes the overall album that more consistent. And I love that the back cover describes the record as "an album offering from The Beach Boys." PET SOUNDS is the Sistine Chapel, but SUNFLOWER is like my local sanctuary. I don't have to worship but, I can just feel at peace in it.

So here's my list, in descending order. This is not a list of what I think is the best, just what I find most enjoyable and what makes me smile the most.

12. Our Sweet Love---feels like a second cousin to God Only Knows. Great bass line, though. Just doesn't go anywhere.
11. Tears---if only bc it's so un-BB like. But I like the accordion and the coda. It just feels like a Bruce song that didn't quite become a group effort.
10. Cool, Cool Water---I hate to say it bc I love the demo, but this version is too long. Maybe if they put the water chant first like in the live versions.
9. At My Window---again, I don't dislike. Utterly charming, dorky, awesome coda, and the weird chord shift at the end injects a bit of ominousness into it. Coulda been better, though.
8. Forever---sacrilegious, I know, but there are so many great Dennis songs but Ive hit saturation level with this. Love it, can remember the shock of hearing Stamosized back in the day, but lately I've been wanting somebody to remake/redo another Dennis number only for variety's sake.
7. Deirdre---when Brian kicks in on the refrain or chorus or whatever I can't help but sing along to those harmonies. Love the stop time/bass solo bit, Mike's lines. I would probably hate this if it were on KTSA, but here it just feels right.
6. Add Some Music---again, only because it's not as obscure as it used to be. But I loved seeing Brian do this live in '11. Wish I'd seen one of the later BB concerts where they'd added this, but, alas, Atlanta was pitstop No. 3.
5. It's About Time---Remember when Mike said Santana rock wasn't really his thing? Well, you were wrong, man. This was a good direction to explore. I love playing the "import" I have with the drum/conga track only. Whew.
4. Slip on Through---I still enjoy playing SUNFLOWER for people who think they know the BBs and watching them lose their sh*t when they hear this. That insane high note Dennis hits! Haha. And the horns. White gospel soul? I wish they'd done more like this.
3. This Whole World---should be No. 1, I know, but I can't help myself. I actually think the a capella break here is more orgasmic than on "Good Vibrations."
2.  All I Wanna Do---OK, it's time for every soundtrack/TV show to stop using God Only Knows and introduce this to the general public. Pure spiritual love.
1. Got to Know the Woman---So I admit it: this song just makes me happy. I envision Jerry Lee Lewis hearing it and pulling out a pistol at Dennis saying, "Boy, you think I'm a joke, do you?" But it's such a wise parody. Love all the harmonies. I like to randomly walk up to my wife and say, "C'mon, c'mon, and do the chicken!" This is Dennis's "Ding Dang."

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 10:22:09 AM »

4. Slip on Through---I still enjoy playing SUNFLOWER for people who think they know the BBs and watching them lose their sh*t when they hear this. That insane high note Dennis hits! Haha. And the horns. White gospel soul? I wish they'd done more like this.

Incredible singing by DW on this one! I think in terms of range this may well be his best ever.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 10:43:26 AM »

Incredible singing by DW on this one! I think in terms of range this may well be his best ever.

Well, they DID speed up the track somewhat when it was mixed (less uncommon then than now in the production world). But they knew what they were doing: it's just freakin' fantastic, right up there with all of the best up-tempo BB songs in the canon. Denny was at his vocal peak in this time frame, fo' sho'.  Grin
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 10:53:03 AM »

1. This Whole World

2. All I Wanna Do
3. Forever
4. Add Some Music To Your Day

5. Slip On Through
6. Our Sweet Love

7. Cool, Cool Water (redeemed by The Water Chant)
8. At My Window
9. Got To Know The Woman
10. Deidre

11. It's About Time
12. Tears In The Morning
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 11:24:17 AM »

Epic:
This Whole World
All I Wanna Do
Cool, Cool Water
Add Some Music To Your Day

Great:
At My Window
Slip On Through
It's About Time
Got To Know The Woman (despite the chicken WTF moment)
Deidre

Decent:
Our Sweet Love (lyrics are too sweet and directionless)
Forever (fine, but as I've said in a previous thread this is no great Dennis Wilson moment for me)
Tears In The Morning (close to entering the NO category)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 12:30:32 PM »

RE: Deirdre.

I've always found it hard to get into this song, purely because I can't get over any associations with the Coronation Street (Britsh soap) character of the same name.  The tune is pretty and has grown on me, but I'll never be able to fully enjoy the song for what it is  Sad

Ok, I guess I should have a go at ranking the songs (haven't taken part in any yet)...

I guess,

Add Some Music
This Whole World = All I Wanna Do

Our Sweet Love = At My Window
Forever
Cool, Cool Water

Slip On Through
Tears In The Morning

Dierdre
It's About Time
Got To Know The Woman

Can't really say how accurate that really is, sometimes you just need a certain song.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 01:32:40 PM »

1. All I Wanna Do
2. Cool, Cool Water
3. Add Some Music to Your Day
4. Forever
5. This Whole World
    (The original British version included Cottonfields which I would put here)
6. It's About Time
7. Our Sweet Love
8. Deirdre
9. Slip On Through
10. At My Window
11. Tears in the Morning
12. Got to Know the Woman

EDIT:  Added At My Window.  Thanks for pointing that out.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:08:11 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »

1. All I Wanna Do
2. Cool, Cool Water
3. Add Some Music to Your Day
4. Forever
5. This Whole World
    (The original British version included Cottonfields which I would put here)
6. It's About Time
7. Our Sweet Love
8. Deirdre
9. Slip On Through
10. Tears in the Morning
11. Got to Know the Woman

No At My Window?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:13:32 PM by Letsgoawayforawhile » Logged

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2013, 06:23:56 PM »

One of my favorites:

This Whole World-Yes, I like the song enough to rate it over Forever. One of Brian's best.
Forever
All I Wanna Do
Cool, Cool Water
Add Some Music to Your Day
Our Sweet Love
Tears in the Morning-Really has grown on me in the last year.
Deirdre
Slip on Through
At My Window
Got to Know the Woman
It's About Time
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2013, 06:44:49 PM »

RE: Deirdre.

I've always found it hard to get into this song, purely because I can't get over any associations with the Coronation Street (Britsh soap) character of the same name. 

I also can't help but picture Deirdre Barlow and her grotesque wrinkly neck when I hear this song.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Wild-Honey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2013, 07:40:04 PM »

1. Slip on through.
2. Cool Cool Water.
3. Our Sweet love.
4. This Whole World.
5. It's About Time
6. Add Some Music to Your Day
7. Got To Know the Woman
8. At My Window
9. All I wanna do
10. Forever
11. Deidre
12. Tears in the Morning
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2013, 08:52:49 PM »

1. Cool Cool Water: An absolute masterpiece of 20th century avant-pop. Manages to be quirky, creepy, gorgeous, dorky all in one fell swoop and neatly encapsulates who and what The Beach Boys are. Complete aural perfection.

2. All I Wanna Do: Painfully beautiful and haunting. I love how the melody/production sort of fights with itself as the song goes on, creating a sense of tension and unease that only makes the song's beauty and sentiment all the more genuine.

3. Forever: Dennis' God Only Knows, as someone pointed out earlier. Kudos to Stamos for singing this forgotten non-Beach Boys hit on national television on a top rated show. Seriously......

4. It's About Time: Carl killin' it. Nuff said. I love Mike in the breakdown.

5. Dierdre: I am completely in love with this song. It's what my 70's, AM radio, "Love American Style" childhood sounds like in my head.

6. Slip On Through: Shoulda been a hit. Dennis best vocal ever and the backing track kicks major ass.

7. This Whole World: All the proof needed that Brian rules the universe....

8. Add Some Music To Your Day: I adore this song. Everyone sounds great on vocals and the dorky lyrics hit all the right Beach Boys buttons.

9. Tears In The Morning: This isn't my favorite song but I think this might be Bruce's best lead vocal ever. There is an awful lot of emotion in his voice for a guy who's usually written off as too smooth and saccharine and tiny shorts wearing.

10. Our Sweet Love: Gorgeous Carl vocal and lovely tune, but it just seems a bit inconsequential compared to the rest of the album. But this is a bit like complaining about one too many diamonds in the mine.

11. At My Window. I love this song and it sets up Cool Cool Water perfectly for some reason....

12. Got To Know The Woman: I dig this a lot and it helps vary the album, but I'm not exactly in love with it. Dennis just being Dennis is awesome though, no matter what.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:53:54 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 12:49:30 PM »

1. Cool Cool Water
2. All I Wanna Do
3. Slip On Through
4. This Whole World
5. Our Sweet Love
6. Deirdre   
7. It's About Time
8 Tears in the Morning
9. Forever
10. At My Window 
11. Add Some Music To Your Day
12. Got To Know The Woman

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
MookieZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »

Alright, I'll play:

1. It's About Time
2. Slip on Through
3. Forever
4. Add Some Music to Your Day
5. Cool Cool Water
6. This Whole World
7. Our Sweet Love
8. All I Wanna Do
9. Tears in the Morning
10. Got To Know the Woman
11. Deidre
12. At My Window

I should say that this is my 2nd favorite Beach Boys album and Deidre would probably be on the top half of almost any other album's list.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »

f*ck it, why not...

1. This Whole World
2. Our Sweet Love
3. All I Wanna Do
4. Add Some Music
5. At My Window
6. Cool Cool Water
7. Forever
8. Deirdre
9. Slip On Through
10. Got To Know The Woman
11. It's About Time

12. Tears in the Morning
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 06:52:39 PM by bossaroo » Logged
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 03:59:38 AM »

Poor Bruce Wink
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »

(From least favourite to favourite)
12. Got To Know The Woman
11. Add Some Music To Your Day
10. Forever
9. Our Sweet Love
8. It's About Time
7. All I Wanna Do
6. Deirdre
5. At My Window
4. Tears In The Morning
3. Cool, Cool Water
2. Slip On Through
1. This Whole World

To be honest I love those last two both the same. Buuuut if I was forced to pick...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 01:04:37 PM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2013, 10:55:04 AM »

Solid
1. Forever
2. Cool, Cool Water
3. This Whole World
4. It's About Time
5. All I Wanna Do
6. Our Sweet Love
7. Add Some Music to Your Day
8. Dierdre            easily Bruce's best
9. Slip on Through
10. Got to Know the Woman

Gas
11. At My Window
12. Tears in the Morning

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:56:57 AM by B-Rex » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »

I wish they had recorded more songs like "All I Wanna Do", it blows my mind every time I listen to it. It sounds so contemporary yet it was recorded almost 50 years ago!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »

1 "This Whole World": one of Brian's masterpieces. Both Brian and Carl sound great. Amazing chord changes.
2 "Cool, Cool Water": another one of Brian's masterpieces. Mike's lyrics are pretty sweet too. Great vocals from all. So mellow and so great.
3 "Add Some Music To Your Day":: a lovely sentiment. Could be looked at as lightweight, but its just such a great little song with great vocals.
4 "All I Wanna Do": great vibe. Would've ranked it higher, but I'm kinda burned out on it. Great vocals from Mike though.
5 "At My Window": probably Bruce's best lead vocal. The tag is stellar. Great vibe.
6 "Slip On Through": mellow soulful rocker from Dennis. He sounds great. The group sounds energized.
7 "Forever": I like this, but it's just kinda sappy. The vocals are great, but the lyrics are lame. I love Dennis but I feel this was a step on the way to POB, but not a high point. Sorry.
8 "Deirdre": probably Bruce's best Beach Boys contribution. Brian sounds nice vocally. But overall, kinda lightweight.
9 "Our Sweet Love": seems like a crappy rewrite of "God Only Knows". However, the backing track with just Brian's background vocals is great. I wouldn't mind hearing this in pristine quality on Made In California.
10 "It's About Time": it rocks along nicely, but it's not really something I would ever listen to.
11 "Tears In The Morning": overly sappy Bruce. Can't make it through it.
12 "Go To Know The Woman": Dennis being goofy. I don't care for it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »

Another hard one to rank for me.  I like the entire thing.

12. Tears in the Morning.
11. Got to know the woman.
10. Our Sweet Love
9. Deirdre
8. At My Window
7. Slip on Through
6. Forever
5. Cool Cool Water
4.It's About time
3. Add Some Music
2. This Whole World
1. All I Wanna Do

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 02:48:22 PM »

1. All I Wanna Do
 2. This Whole World
 3. Forever
 4. At My Window
 5. Add Some Music To Your Day
 6. Deirdre
 7. Our Sweet Love
 8. Slip On Through