gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:31:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rank the tracks #15: 20/20  (Read 42398 times)
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 11:29:47 AM »

1. Cabinessence
2. I Went To Sleep
3. Our Prayer
4. Be With Me
5. Time To Get Alone
6. Do It Again
7. Cotton Fields
8. I Can Hear Music
9. Never Learn Not To Love
10. All I Want To Do
11. Bluebirds over the Mountains
12. Nearest Faraway Place

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »

OK I just listened to this whole album for the first time in months, and decided the 2 best songs IMO (not counting the Smile songs) are I Went To Sleep and Never Learn Not To Love.

Considering that the first was written by Brian when he was starting to lose it, and the second was partially written by Charles Manson, gets me wondering about the relationship between insanity and creativity.

NEway maybe that's a different topic.

Only song on this album I skip is Cotton Fields. CCR did a good cover of it, but it just doesn't seem to lend itself to BB interpretation. All the other songs are pretty good. The Nearest Faraway Place is also one of the most interesting BB instrumentals IMO.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:01:15 PM by SMiLE-addict » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2013, 04:47:49 PM »

God I love this album. This, along with Friends, Holland, Sunflower, and So Tough, are my favorite BB albums. The order varies depending on mood.

I'm not going to count the Smile tracks on this, as that is not 'fair'. There's not a single track on here I dislike. As always, #1 is my favorite, #10 is my 'least' favorite.

10. Cotton Fields- I prefer the single version.
9. Bluebirds over the mountain- I love it, but I prefer my homebrewed version that takes the Dutch mix and mixes it 'properly'
8.  Nearest Faraway Place
7. All I Want to do
6. Do it again
5. I can Hear Music
4. Never Learn Not To Love
3. Be With Me
2. I Went to Sleep
1. Time to Get Alone

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2013, 12:00:04 AM »

I'm excluding the SMiLE tracks, although needless to say i think they're utterly superb.

1. Time To Get Alone (LOVE this song!)
2. Never Learn Not To Love (forget the Manson connection and just listen to the incredible arrangement, production and vocals - incredible!)
3. Do It Again (a classic single, and one of their best ever album openers)
4. I Went To Sleep (beautiful - understated and yet a very deceptively complex arrangement)
5. All I Want To Do (optimistic lyrics, yet such a dark and twisted sounding song. That fade gets me every time - love it!)
6. I Can Hear Music (Carl's amazing vocal and production lift this light years ahead of the original - the boy had talent)
7. All I Want To Do (i really don't get the dislike for this song - it's a rocking tune and it's great to hear Mike singing like this for a change. And as for that fade... What'd you rather have, another Bruce Johnson schmaltz-fest?)

I love all of the above songs - 20/20 really is an amazingly strong album - however...

8. Cotton Fields (i'm not really keen on this song, whether it's this version or the single version. Not my cup of tea...)
9. The Nearest Faraway Place (i like the way it contrasts with All I Want To Do, but that's about all i like about it. It's elevator musak. They should've ditched this and had Mona Kanu instead - now THAT'S an instrumental!)
10. Bluebirds Over The Mountain (it's a mess, all over the place. Nothing fits. Don't like it. Bruce waited all that time to get a song on an album and this was the best he could do?)
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2013, 08:34:37 PM »

1.   Cabinessence
2.   Our Prayer
3.   Be With Me
4.   I Went to Sleep
5.   Never Learn Not To Love

6.   Time To Get Alone
7.   Do It Again
8.   I Can Hear Music
9.   Cotton Fields
10.  The Nearest Faraway Place

11.  All I Want to Do
12.  Bluebirds Over The Mountain

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
rynedotcom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2013, 05:29:49 PM »

1.   Cabinessence - Simply Amazing.

2.   Do It Again - Catchy and makes me come back to it often.
3.   Time To Get Alone
4.   I Can Hear Music
5.   The Nearest Faraway Place - I'm not one for instrumentals but this is absolutely amazing. Bruce did a terrific job with this piece.
6.   Our Prayer
7.   I Went to Sleep
8.   Be With Me
9.   Never Learn Not to Love

10.  All I Want To Do
11.  Bluebirds Over The Mountain
12.  Cotton Fields

Overall the album is a great listen.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2013, 07:42:15 PM »

Forgot this one:
Cabinessence
Time to get Alone
I Went to Sleep
Our Prayer
I Can Hear Music (Awesome cover)
Do it Again (fake stereo? Yuck! Still, it's a great song)
Bluebirds over the Mountain
The Nearest Faraway Place
Be With Me
Never Learn Not to Love
Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)
All I Want to Do
Puggal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2013, 07:58:57 PM »

Not a fan of this album. But as can be usually assumed, Brian's contributions are far better than his colleagues' offerings.
:D
1. Cabin Essence
2. I Went To Sleep
3. Time To Get Alone
4. Our Prayer
:l
5. I Can Hear Music
6. Do It Again
7. Bluebirds Over The Mountain
Sad
8. Cotton Fields
9. Be With Me
10. Never Learn Not To Love
11. The Nearest Faraway Place
12. All I Want To Do
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2013, 01:45:31 PM »

One of my all-time favorite Beach Boys albums.  Contains some incredibly good stuff, IMO, and not one song on here that I don't really enjoy.

1.   Do it Again
2.   Time to get Alone
3.   I Can Hear Music
4.   Cabinessence
5.   Cotton Fields
6.   Be With Me
7.   All I Want to Do
8.   Bluebirds over the Mountain
9.   Never Learn Not to Love
10. I Went to Sleep
11. Our Prayer
12. The Nearest Faraway Place

Sunflowerpet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 11:05:39 AM »

1. Cabbinessence
 2. Time To Get Alone
 3. I Can Hear Music
 4. Do It Again
 5. The Nearest Faraway Place
 6. I Went To Sleep
 7. Be With Me
 8. Cotton Fields
 9. Our Prayer
10.All I Want To Do
11.Never Learn No To Love
12.Bluebirds Over The Mountain
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »

1.cabinessence
2.time to get alone
3.i went to sleep
4.do it again
5.i can hear music
6.the nearest faraway place
7.be with me
8.all i want to do
9.bluebirds over the mountain
10.our prayer
11.cotten fields
12.never learn not to love (not a bad song by any means just kind of creepy)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »

I find this album a tad frustrating to rate because of the two Smile tracks; I feel like I should only be ranking the newer tunes, but oh well:

1. Time To Get Alone - One of my top 10 favorite Beach Boys song, a real beautiful gem I really can't get enough of. YES it's better than the Smile tracks....duh!
2. Cabinessence - One of my favorite Smile tracks, so yeah. Friggin' spectacular.
3. Our Prayer - Of course it's brilliant.
4. I Can Hear Music - Brother Carl brings the honey. Amazing cover.
5. I Went To Sleep - Serious genius here. Lovely as can be.
6. Do It Again - Just plain awesome. One of the band's best real RAWK song. LOVE IT.
7. Be With Me - Really quite great. Denny's best on the album by far. Spectacular backing track and cushions of harmonies.
8. Bluebirds Over The Mountain - Could've been a lot better, but still pretty damn good.
9. All I Want To Do - Um, yeah! Go Dennis? I dunno, I think it kinda sorta rocks. A bit.
10. Cotton Fields - Never liked this version all that much. Way prefer the pedal steel-laden single version, with a more exciting Al vocal, more harmonies and a jumpier track.
11. The Nearest Faraway Place - So syrupy it's Aunt Jemima, but still pretty nice I guess.
12. Never Learn Not To Love - What joshferrell said above me.

Nice n' uneven, but overall pretty damn good, like most BBs albums.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:35:01 PM by Summer_Days » Logged

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2013, 12:27:55 AM »

12. Be With Me
11. I Went To Sleep
10. All I Want To Do
9. Cotton Fields - S'okay version, I prefer the other one much more
8. Do It Again
7. The Nearest Faraway Place - I will always defend Bruce! I liked Tears In The Morning and goddammit I like this Tongue
6. Time To Get Alone
5. Bluebirds Over The Mountain
4. Our Prayer - Beautiful a cappella, though crappily squeezed into the album
3. Never Learn Not To Love - Always thought it was kinda underrated. It's nice and psychedelic.
2. Cabinessence - As good as this one is, it feels kinda tacked on; it works a hell of a lot better in SMiLE.
1. I Can Hear Music - I'm surprised at how few people have put this has no 1. I think it's one of the best ever BB songs.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:31:45 AM by Judd » Logged

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »

1. I Can Hear Music - I'm surprised at how few people have put this has no 1. I think it's one of the best ever BB songs.

If it weren't for the two Smile tracks, I would've put I Can Hear Music at #2. It IS a truly amazing, amazing song. But not even half as good as 'Time To Get Alone', I feel.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »

I don't like this album. Too much of a hodge podge, and I only like the top five songs. Out of all the Beach Boys albums I own, it's probably (with 15 Big Ones and Summer Days) my least favorite.
1. Cabinessence
2. I Went To Sleep
3. Our Prayer
4. Time To Get Alone
5. I Can Hear Music

6. Do It Again
7. Bluebirds Over The Mountain
8. Cotton Fields (They could have picked a better folk song to cover. Just not my style of music. Brian obviously wasn't into it either...)
9. The Nearest Faraway Place (Elevator music, but somewhat pretty. It actually reminds of me of 32/64 bit video game music.)
10. Be With Me (besides the verse melody, this song is overblown and lacking in the melody department.
11. Never Learn Not To Love (Boring. The Charles Manson connection doesn't help.)
12. All I Want To Do (one of the worst Beach Boys songs. A highly unconvincing rocker. Just stupid.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:39:04 PM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2013, 03:11:29 AM »

Definitely one of my favourite albums.

01. Time To Get Alone
02. Cabinessence
03. Bluebirds Over The Mountain
04. Do It Again
05. I Can Hear Music
06. Cottonfields
07. Our Prayer
08. All I Want To Do
09. Never Learn Not To Love
10. The Nearest Faraway Place
11. Be With Me
12. I Went To Sleep

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2013, 09:49:16 AM »

Definitely one of my favourite albums.

01. Time To Get Alone
02. Cabinessence
03. Bluebirds Over The Mountain
04. Do It Again
05. I Can Hear Music
06. Cottonfields
07. Our Prayer
08. All I Want To Do
09. Never Learn Not To Love
10. The Nearest Faraway Place
11. Be With Me
12. I Went To Sleep

Smiley Mark
The album is a bit disjointed, but not every album has to be a "Concept Album". On a song by song basis, there's some pretty good listening here. One of my faves, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2013, 10:10:06 PM »

12. Do It Again. Overrated track. Another song I never liked. Still not as bad as the 2012 remake, however.
11. I Went To Sleep. Forgettable, never grew on me. Like no.10.
10. Time To Get Alone. Forgettable, never grew on me. Like no.11.
9. Bluebirds Over The Mountain. Quite crap. Big mistake covering it. Not as heavy as some people make out to be.
8. Our Prayer. Shouldn't be on this album. Don't care for this track much, but that's my opinion.
7. The Nearest Faraway Place. Sort-of underrated. Don't understand why some people don't like it.
6. Cottonfields. Not as good as the single version, but still all right.
5. Cabinessence. Shouldn't be on this album, but still a great track.
4. I Can Hear Music. Equal to no.3. A favourite Carl production.
3. Never Learn Not To Love. Equal to no.4. Because of obvious reasons, people don't care about the track itself that much. Shame really. That makes it one of the most underrated Beach Boys tracks ever.
2. All I Want To Do. Possibly the heaviest Beach Boys song, and I love it!
1. Be With Me. One of the best Beach Boys songs ever.
TimeToGetAlone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »

1. Cabinessence - 487.5 (17)
2. Time to Get Alone - 444 (14)
3. I Can Hear Music - 372 (3)
4. Do It Again - 367 (5)
5. Our Prayer - 360.5 (3)
6. I Went to Sleep - 316.5 (1)
7. Be with Me - 272 (1)
8. Never Learn Not to Love - 251.5 (1)
9. Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song) - 222
10. All I Want to Do - 185.5 (1)
11. The Nearest Faraway Place  - 161.5
12. Bluebirds Over the Mountain - 147

My thoughts?  My namesake had an impressive run to second.  I do think Be With Me and I Went to Sleep should place higher, however.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2014, 07:36:26 PM »

1. "I Went to Sleep" - I've been in love with this song since I first heard it. I love the way the single voice leads off those (gorgeous) harmonies on every line. The vocal delivery is so soft and tender and the mood it creates is sublime. Not to mention that great, serene, mellow backing track. I'm not even sure what instruments are being used, but gosh are they great. I also love those little sound effects that are used, like the tambourine for the sprinkler, the occasional snoring, the plastic birds. It's aural bliss.

2. "I Can Hear Music" - I love the way this song starts. It starts off big, almost like someone cut it to the middle section of a longer harmony line. Then, that unique take on a Spector song comes in - just a bunch of acoustic guitars. Carl, as always, is absolutely stunning at singing and those low harmonies behind it all are lovely. Then, it collapses into that wonderful a cappella section only to launch right back into how the song started. Great idea.

3. "Time to Get Alone" - I love the way the keyboards bounce around in the beginning - makes a really cool sound. The lyrics are really nice, just getting away with the person you love. The whole song is supported by the backing vocals, which are everywhere, sometimes multiple ones in the same section happening at once. There's also the "deep and wide" section that ends in that ominous, rising string part.

4. "Do It Again" - I love that booming bass that starts this off (sort of a pattern so far, great openings). The verse is fine and enjoyable, but the chorus is where this song really shines. All those great voices and melodies coming together great to create a really unique chorus. The bridge is great too, though I kinda enjoy Brian singing that part more. I'll never understand that "Workshop" ending, though.

5. "Cabinessence" - Probably one of my lesser favorite Smile tracks, but I can still appreciate the song. I think they did a great job with it and there isn't really much more to say about this song at this point.

6. "Never Learn Not to Love" - This song's beginning has always intrigued me - it's very dark, sweeping, and ominous. This is undoubtedly one of my favorite Dennis songs, as I have the fortune of being able to separate it from that whole Manson deal. I love the backing vocals, the backing track, and I love the way the song pounces along at certain points.

7. "The Neartest Faraway Place" - I actually like this song. Being a piano player myself, I can appreciate the intro and how talented he was at this particular instrument (I'm assuming Bruce plays it). I think it's a rather pretty instrumental, sort of if someone combined "Diamond Head" and Pet Sounds, that's how I see it anyway.

8. "Be with Me" - It ain't bad. I quite like the horns, the strings, and the percussion. For the mast part, I can get behind the lyrics and the melodies are pretty good for the verses. However, I'm not too keen on the "FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" part. I like most everything else, though. Although, the coda does sound like someone's doing a Meatloaf impression.

9. "Our Prayer" - Never a big fan of this version. I've always thought the TSS version sound clearer and crisper. Not a bad 'song' technically, but I hate the way it sounds.

10. "Cotton Fields (The Cotton Song)" - Never been a favorite of mine. Something about the way the song sounds has always put me off (similar to the last song), but I'm not really sure what it is. The production is pretty flimsy here and has been done better elsewhere by Al. I do like the little breakdown that happens about halfway through. The song gets better as you get closer to the end.

11. "All I Want to Do" - Just an insignificant effort in my eyes. It's nice that it goes outside of what's expected from the Beach Boys, but it just doesn't really do a lot for me. I love Mike's delivery, though - very raw and ragged, which is not something you'll get to hear often. Almost a glimpse into an alternate reality where the Beach Boys steered clear of pop perfection and dove into actual rock music.

12. "Bluebirds Over the Mountain" - What a disaster this song is. I can see how it would be an attempt for them to update their sound, but it's jus no goooood. That eternally annoying fuzz guitar that haunts my sleep, that weird calypso thing they have going on, and those weak and irritating backing vocals all come together to form a song I wish I could forget.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:34:35 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2014, 09:36:35 PM »

1. I Can Hear Music -- Amazing cover. The production and performance is spectacular. Hurrah for Carl.
2. Cabinessence -- Probably the best composition on the album, but I find the single above more enjoyable.
3. Do It Again -- This song warms my heart. Too bad it's in mono, though.
4. I Went To Sleep --  Spellbinding melody. I would like 20/20 far less if it did not contain this song.
5. Bluebirds Over The Mountain -- The fuzz guitar sucks, but I love everything else about this track. It's just so catchy.
6. Time To Get Alone -- A great song, but nothing special for Brian. Like most of 20/20 the production is pretty ugly.
7. Our Prayer -- A nice piece of choral music, but not exactly the most entertaining song in the world. I don't understand why they overdubbed another falsetto vocal in 1968. It sounds better on The Smile Sessions.
8. Never Learn Not To Love -- The song is good, but the production is slipshod.
9. The Nearest Faraway -- This song either sounds like a Kenny G backing track or something off a JRPG soundtrack. I like it, but it's hard to escape the cheese.
10.  Be With Me -- I don't like this song very much. The lyrics are bad, and the choruses sound very forced. I like Dennis's vocals as always, and the production is good, but it is a very flawed composition.
11. Cotton Fields -- The production of this song is awful. You can tell Brian wasn't trying. I do like the banjo fade-out, though. That was a good idea.
12. All I Want To Do -- A failed attempt at a rock-out. The lyrics are pedestrian and the performance hamfisted. I always skip this one.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2014, 04:30:10 AM »

Wild Honey? That surprises me, I would never have considered that be a bad vocal. There might be a shrill syllable or two, but its definitely not bad.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2014, 06:52:48 AM »

2. "I Can Hear Music" - I love the way this song starts. It starts off big, almost like someone cut it to the middle section of a longer harmony line. Then, that unique take on a Spector song comes in - just a bunch of acoustic guitars. Carl, as always, is absolutely stunning at singing and those low harmonies behind it all are lovely. Then, it collapses into that wonderful a Capella section only to launch right back into how the song started. Great idea.
Very nice write-up, Mr. Waves, but I couldn't resist asking - do you really like every single vocal by Carl? Wild Honey? Pom Pom Play Girl? All Dressed up for School? Here Comes the Night? Talk to Me? Mess of Help? (naming the songs considered the worst Carl vocs around here) Not that there's anything wrong, am just genuinely surprised.
I don't consider any of those vocals as "worst". What it does show is that Carl had a very versatile voice that was able to handle a multitude of styles and genres.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »

2. "I Can Hear Music" - I love the way this song starts. It starts off big, almost like someone cut it to the middle section of a longer harmony line. Then, that unique take on a Spector song comes in - just a bunch of acoustic guitars. Carl, as always, is absolutely stunning at singing and those low harmonies behind it all are lovely. Then, it collapses into that wonderful a Capella section only to launch right back into how the song started. Great idea.
Very nice write-up, Mr. Waves, but I couldn't resist asking - do you really like every single vocal by Carl? Wild Honey? Pom Pom Play Girl? All Dressed up for School? Here Comes the Night? Talk to Me? Mess of Help? (naming the songs considered the worst Carl vocs around here) Not that there's anything wrong, am just genuinely surprised.

I like all those Carl vocals - especially Wild Honey!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2014, 02:42:50 PM »

Wild Honey, Here Comes The Night and Mess Of Help are some of the best Carl vocals!  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx