gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:12:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Sweet and Bitter" and "Out In The Country"  (Read 55727 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 01:40:47 AM »

Got wonder how these things surface like they do, from time to time.

Could it be that Goldberg was approached by box set compilers wanting to hear the sessions, but the sessions were rejected for the box (perhaps for reasons speculated above)…

… so Goldberg, who's perhaps sat on them for decades, realises they'll never otherwise now see the light of day (ie, won't ever make any money) so thinks he might as well get some acknowledgement for them and puts them out there himself?

“We live in divisive times.”
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 02:03:38 AM »

I like both of these tracks. It's good to hear Mike singing a little differently to his normal style.

What i don't get on here is that it seems like some people will only like certain songs if the BBs had something to do with it. If you like the song, then like it. Don't like it only because the BBs are on it. Nice banjo work. And i'm glad Al remembered it later in the 1970s to have another go at it. Nice tune.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 02:35:36 AM »

On further listening I think much of the Sweet and Bitter backing track is early 70's sounding, that lead is certainly Mike, but some of the drum rolls sound too slick, maybe more recent additions? The backing vocals from 0.35 onwards definitely sound like Brian is in that part of it and the overall style of these vocals are very Beach Boys.
Out In The Country doesnt sound at all like anything Beach Boys imo, doesnt really have that Back Home 70' feel either and it's too far removed from the demo we all know. It would certainly be odd that they would make it into such an average song when the demo is so enchanting!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 03:03:12 AM »

I've been listening to In The Country for a while now, and I've noticed some interesting things. Well, interesting to me at least. Listen very carefully to parts of the backing vocals. Am I crazy, or is that part of the coda to Wouldn't It Be Nice? There is also a part where I swear I'm hearing Mike's voice. It's at approximately 1:51 to 1:54 into the song. I keep hearing what I think is either Al or Brian at the very end("livin' out in"...).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:04:06 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 05:08:01 AM »

Pretty good stuff. Hearing Brian and Mike during that period is always a treat.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2013, 05:09:39 AM »

The picture of him with Brian at the Hollywood Bowl in 2000 looks more like 1988.

If you check that image of Goldberg in the Country video against his YouTube profile picture they are the same person, shirt and hair are the same - plus the YouTube Profile image from the Hollywood Bowl show in 2000 has the poster date - Sunday, September 24.

The 2000 dates looks to be real .... if that's Goldberg .... or the image isn't doctored.

Assuming Goldberg was - say - early 20's at the time of the recordings in the early 70s then does he look old enough (50'ish) in the 2000 photos?

I am sure you are right, Brian just looks like 88 Brian to me.
MBE
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2013, 05:10:02 AM »

As far as the box I think any unreleased Beach Boys title through 1980 should be considered seriously.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2013, 05:37:54 AM »

I thought Out in the Country was an Al track?
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2013, 05:52:00 AM »

Search Function is your friend:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,6263.0.html
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2013, 05:53:26 AM »

And:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,4865.0.html
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2013, 06:14:29 AM »

Ian's quote:  >>
 Re: Out In The Country
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 07:34:11 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to look at it again at home-but I remember that Brian, Carl, and Bruce are all on the AFM as musicians at this session- with Tandyn Almer listed as session leader (BBs seldom listed themselves as session leaders).  << 
Not that much  different from  the YouTube, no?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2013, 06:18:39 AM »

The U.S. copyright office has registrations for both songs. The entry for "Out In The Country" lists Brian as a co-writer and says the song was written in 1972 (though it appears it wasn't registered until 2004). The registration for 'Sweet And Bitter' claims it was created in '71 and also mentions 'Fading Love Song' and 'Sweet Rhythm'. The site is not letting me post direct links to the entries, but if you go to http://cocatalog.loc.gov and do a name search for 'Goldberg Don', it will bring up both songs as well as a few others he's copyrighted.

Which ties him into this BMI listing: 

Songwriter/Composer: GOLDBERG DONALD ALLEN

Current Affiliation: BMI CAE/IPI #: 185965808

There are 4 Work Titles
 Work Title    BMI Work #
1. BEACH BOY       3716998
2. NEW YEARS EVE     6616241
3. ROCKIN NEW YEAR S EVE    6601386
4. SURFIN WITH KATO     2058994   

GuyOnTheBeach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2013, 07:43:52 AM »

This, guys, is one of the reasons I love the Beach Boys, just when you think you've heard it all, something new comes along Smiley
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 08:22:53 AM »

C-man's post in this thread is pretty interesting:
A full-on track was cut for this, too, at the same session as "Marcella" and something called "Body Talk".  Musicians present were Tandyn Almer, Ricky Fataar, Bruce Johnston, Tony Martin Jr., Brian Wilson, and Carl Wilson.  A few days later, banjo & strings (arranged by Tandyn Almer) were overdubbed.  Shame that version hasn't leaked out.  Don't know if it has vocals or not. 

C-man also mentions that Doug Dillard played the banjo overdubs.  Looks like that version now HAS leaked out, with vocals by Goldberg.  The plot thickens.  This is sounding more & more legit to me.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »

I have a question: any idea who sings lead on Out In The Country?
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2013, 09:23:45 AM »

I have a question: any idea who sings lead on Out In The Country?

If you're referring to the version in the Youtube video that was just posted, Don Goldberg.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »

duh

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »

Wonder if he's any relation to Barry Goldberg from KGB...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 10:29:52 AM »

Sometimes it takes a bit for the obvious to slap me in the face: if SWD engineered it, it can't date from later than fall 1971, because that was when he left the BB's employ. Ergo the 1972 date for writing has to be inaccurate.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 10:31:13 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 10:54:15 AM »

As far as the box I think any unreleased Beach Boys title through 1980 should be considered seriously.

Yep.  But not "Sweet & Bitter".   And "Out In The Country" has been done by Al, but where is it?

I can think of other bootlegged songs that are more worthy of inclusion on the box....
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:04:31 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »

Yep.  But not "Sweet & Bitter".   And "Out In The Country" has been done.

I can think of other bootlegged songs that are more worthy of inclusion on the box....

"Sweet And Bitter" is exactly the kind of thing that would work on the boxset. We don't know how it sounds sands the Goldberg overdubs, but it's a really cool track, not a total throwaway, features a rocking/almost punkish Mike Love vocal....as a Beach Boys fan, why wouldn't it be worthy?

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2013, 11:06:09 AM »

Wow!  Sweet n' Bitter rocks!!  

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2013, 11:33:52 AM »

"Sweet And Bitter" is exactly the kind of thing that would work on the boxset. We don't know how it sounds sands the Goldberg overdubs, but it's a really cool track, not a total throwaway, features a rocking/almost punkish Mike Love vocal....as a Beach Boys fan, why wouldn't it be worthy?

Damn straight!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2013, 11:47:26 AM »

OK, upon further listening (about 10 times) I've concluded that maybe I'm wrong. I was wrong twice before, so it could be that I'm wrong here. Not a strong track, but when it comes to the Box set, well, I'd rather see the 1970 version of Back Home or Big Sur or alt. Add Some Music or California Feeling or.......or.......

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »

OK, upon further listening (about 10 times) I've concluded that maybe I'm wrong. I was wrong twice before, so it could be that I'm wrong here. Not a strong track, but when it comes to the Box set, well, I'd rather see the 1970 version of Back Home or Big Sur or alt. Add Some Music or California Feeling or.......or.......

I guess it's all down to personal preference. But really, the sheer excitement of having something that hasn't been booted, let alone known about in the Beach Boys community, that trumps having something like the alt. Add Some Music or '70 Back Home that fans already have had the opportunity to hear since they've been "out there".

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx